Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ah, time to play more Endwalker, virtually the only thing I’ve been doing since it launched four weeks ago!

Ugh. 3,191st in line, huh? Well… I guess I could go do something else while I wait? Was there anything I’d been putting off? …Oh. Right.

Chapter 64: 6/23: QueueAnon (New)

That title scans, right? “Queue” like the line, and “anon,” because we’re… y’know, phantom thieves? Eh? …Shut up.

Music: Price (Another Version)

So he took all of this from the weak…
…He’s going to pay for this.

Yeah, I know, I took a month-long break halfway through a Palace. In my defense… uhh… really thought I’d think of something! Let’s just say I had “other priorities.” One of those priorities being finals, but I spent so little time dealing with those versus the other thing I was doing that it would be borderline dishonest to bring them up! Which is why I just brought them up anyway, but with a veneer of irony and self-deprecation so I seem “cool” and “aloof” and “sort of responsible, I guess.” Hell yeah, I can feel it working, you’re all like putty in my hands.

We enter the hallway where we’re introduced to the devious cameras that turn on, then—and you’re not going to believe this next part—off! Never really understood why we can tell when they’re not actively recording, that seems like a glaring flaw in this place’s security. Maybe we’re just that good, I guess?

Leanan Sidhe here uses Rakunda, Psio, and Marin Karin. She’s weak to Fire and strong against Wind and Psy.

Leanan Sidhe is a “female” Shadow type, meaning that Panther’s Girl Talk will work if she’s in the party and we anger this Shadow in negotiation. It’s mildly handy, though I’m almost certainly never going to do anything as grognardy as building my party around maximizing the chance to pick up a Persona I particularly want.

Here, we need to go out onto this ledge to proceed, just like in the original.

However, there’s now a Will Seed located in this room we’d be remiss to pass by.

If we jump down from the first ledge, then turn around and jump down again…

…we can reach a spot to grapple from.

Wheeeee.

And we get the Will Seed.

Anyway, from here we can grapple to another point. From there we can head into the hallway we need to enter to proceed, or…

…we can grapple again to this catwalk.

From there, we jump down and open this chest for some infusion material.

One more proc of Sleuthing Instinct. Guess it did proc at least one other time, whoops.

We get this Thieves’ Den award when we do some random smash-and-grab of placed items before the next elevator. But before we head further down…

Wow… 20% done… joy… let’s get back to it, then…

It is difficult to hear what he’s saying from where we are now…

Well, then let’s get down there.

This Take-Minakata puts us in a bit of a rough spot here.

It’s about to follow up…

But no!

Panther’s Sexy Technique♥ activates and prevents the action! This has been changed from an ability used to “seduce the enemy during negotiation and steer discussion,” whatever that meant, to something that prevents an enemy’s action in battle. Pretty useful.

We find a locked chest here, which we open to find a new weapon for Queen.

It’s also at this point that we switch out Fox, as he’s running on fumes. We’ll finally swap in Queen to replace him. This will be our party for the rest of the Palace.

We get another award from recruiting a certain number of Personas.

Around this point, Panther learns Agilao. Jeez, already? Skull just learned Mazio…

And we find the second safe room. It’s really far away from the first, and way too close to the third!

From here, we go confront Kaneshiro.

Ugh, I really don’t want to go to Rhonda’s baby shower later… Think I can skip it?
You’re eight feet tall and bright yellow, my guy. I think people will notice if you don’t make an appearance. Besides, these events are good for morale.
*ahem*

Sorry, that poo poo was a piece of cake for us!
…Well, I wouldn’t say it was that simple…

Nah, Skull’s right, it was pretty trivial.

H-Hey, finish off these vermin here! Keep them away from the elevator at all costs!

Spoiler: he does not succeed.

Grrr, he took off while we were busy fightin’…

It’s a journal. Let us see what lies inside…

The pages afterward have been torn out as well. Could it be a code of some sort?
If we’re not gonna figure this poo poo out now, we should just keep goin’ forward, yeah?
Considering Kaneshiro’s reaction, this elevator should lead us to the innermost part of the bank. If so, it’ll be the most secure area as well. Let’s make sure we’re ready for whatever awaits!

…How’s the queue?

*sigh*

Music: Disquiet

Wh-What the hell!? Are these all vaults!? How messed up is this guy!?
We’re supposed to check all of these for the Treasure!?

Guys, why would the Treasure be stored in a normal vault, identical to all the others? None of those vaults even seem big enough to hold a decent Treasure. There’s probably, like, a bigger one somewhere.

Hold on, this distinct shape… Could it be…
What’s the matter?
If my prediction is correct, we won’t need to check every single one of these small vaults.

See? Smarty McCopPants over here agrees with me.

For real!?
…That is, I hope. I’ll explain why once I’ve confirmed my theory.

I guess you’re gonna save it for later to be *dramatic*?
Er… yes, exactly!
No, her actual plan is to conveniently not remind us of her theory if it turns out to be wrong, thus saving face.
…Ouch. You really seem to have it out for me today.
Oh, that? That’s just standard hazing, don’t worry about it. I think I kinda went softer on Fox than he deserved after the whole “pervert” thing so I’m doubling down on you.
I suppose I dodged a bullet there.
Wait, pervert? What?

We immediately find a safe room upon leaving the elevator.

Music: Price (Another Version)

PIN…? So is this gonna open one of the vaults?
Hm, there’s something written above the number pad on here. “RICH”… This is disgusting. How obsessed can one man be with his money?
Wait, there might be something more than that! Do you think this is connected to that journal…?
Hm, let me think… If I remember correctly, it said R=C=0 I=1 H=2.
See? It has all of the letters in the word “RICH”!

Shut up, guys! I wanted to figure it out myself!

Gonna write these down for the sake of convenience, it’s just easier to keep track that way.

Easy enough, just a simple substitution.

So my deduction may be correct…

As long as I’m rich, anything will be possible…
That voice… It’s Kaneshiro! Is he watching us!?
That doesn’t seem to be the case. It sounds more like the voice of his heart… I guess all he really thinks about is money, after all.
So he blackmails people outta their savings and that’s still not enough? What a douche…
More importantly, the message in the journal was the PIN code!
Yes, it seems so… but I doubt it will be that easy from this point forward. The rest of the pages were torn out of the journal. Who knows what clues they may hold…
Well, let’s not get pessimistic. We should look around and try to find some other clues. Time to head further in and find those PINs!

A little further in, we run into an incredibly rare sight: A Showtime that fails to defeat a normal enemy. This was actually a “strong” red Shadow, but still!

In the first offshoot of the main area we find these controls to open a shutter.

(PA System) Hey, uh… The intruders have made it down here… You guys should probably, like… protect the golden pig.
Golden pig?
Yep, the golden pig… You know, with the code inside? That pig? Everyone remember? Just… protect it. Okay then… Well, I’m gonna go back to *not* fighting Minotaur… Oh gently caress off, Walter again!?
Think he’s talkin’ bout that golden pig right over there?
Worth a shot.

I swear to god, when Joker presses the nose on this pig to open it up, it makes a very distinct fart noise. I have no idea why they did this, it freaked me out reviewing the footage.

And we get more of the code.

Further in, another note.

And another input device.

All right, it worked!

(inner thoughts) Time to REAP the rewards of all my backbreaking labor! C’mere, little wallets! Come to your new master!
Oh, I see, he uses the word we “solved.” That’s… not really that interesting.
Let’s just head back.

This is the second one… I wonder how many more there are…
I’m sure we’ll find out as we go. Let’s keep moving to our next one!

Back to the queue…

YOOOOOOOOOOOO

In the next offshoot, Skull learns Memory Blow, which deals Light Physical to all foes with a low chance of inflicting Forget. This is actually a replacement for a different skill he learned in the original, Bad Beat, which dealt Medium Physical to all foes with a low chance of inflicting Despair. I guess that was a little broken, huh? Unfortunately Memory Blow is also weaker than other skills Skull has available. There’s really not much reason to use it over Rampage, and he’s about to gain third-tier Physical damage with Assault Dive at 26, so it’s just a bit of a waste.

Most of the Phantom Thieves have exactly one difference in their Persona’s skill list between vanilla and Royal, two of which I’ve actually already missed and had to go back to edit in: Mona learned Pulinpa at level 19 (high chance of Confuse to one foe) where previously he learned nothing, and Queen starts off with Makajama (high chance of Forget to one foe) now.

Queen also learns Freila. She and Panther are the only two we have with second-tier elemental spells yet, so that’s useful.

There’s a locked chest in here that contains a Golden Vest, a decent upgrade. I equip it on Joker.

Up here, we see a golden door. Unfortunately, I immediately notice it’s locked and fail to notice that it’s gold, meaning I don’t inspect it. I’d go back to rerecord for this, but… I got overzealous recently and overwrote my Palace save files with stuff from a bit later. This isn’t the only one of these doors, though, we’ll see what it does later.

Further in, Fox learns Rising Slash, which like Giant Slice increases its damage after a Baton Pass. This one is just Heavy damage instead of Medium.

There’s an annoying segment in here where we have to navigate a corridor with very inconvenient camera placement. The game does this like, once or twice in this part of the Palace, but it sucks. I was backtracking heavily looking for a camera box to break before I realized I actually did need to carefully walk between them, which it isn’t even immediately clear is possible.

Another pig, another code.

Likewise.

Here, we find ourselves on the other side of the golden door.

Hmm… and there’s also this weird pig. Maybe we should do some reconnaissance first.

So he even takes money from his employees… and at a terribly steep rate, I see. …Hm. It would seem only Kaneshiro has the clearance to change prices.
…Maybe we won’t have to pay if we just bust it up? Breakin’ poo poo’s always worked for us before! Let’s give it a shot.

We’re the least subtle phantom thieves ever.

And now that door is open.

It says “HUGE,” you moron! Can you even read?

Uh, wow. Rude. Just literacy-shame him right in front of me, jeez.

Well then, we should keep—

(inner thoughts) Need to… need to get HUGE! Muscles, money, power! No one will ever walk all over me again!

He is beyond redemption… It seems he cares not for those he tramples upon himself.
Every step we take is strengthening my resolve. Let’s push onward.

This movement… There can be no doubt.
Hm? Did you notice something?

I don’t know what that means…
Uh, well… When you insert a key into a lock, if the key is the right shape, the cylinder’s tumblers will all line up and allow the lock to turn. That’s why the path forward has stayed straight.

So you’re saying the whole floor is just one giant lock…?
That’s right. All the smaller vaults in here aren’t important. There has to be an area further in, locked away by the room itself.
And that’s where the Treasure’s gotta be! Sweet, let’s get goin’!

Huh, so that was your theory. I’m impressed enough with the results that I’ll cut down on the sass. That said, cat, don’t you make *lockpicks*? How do you not know about locks?
Uhhhhh… let’s just keep going, okay?

Next up, miniboss Shadow time.

You guys are those thieves, right? Man… I better get hazard pay for this… But I’m a security guard, so surely it’s part of the job description? Maybe I’ll get a bonus if I kill them? Oh, whatever. Sorry, please die!

Oh no, Fear!

Oh, well I guess this fight’s over.

And so it was.

So, here we come to the right/left switch that will change the position of the gap in the wall for us to move through. We need to set it to “left.”

Mona senses a Will Seed!

And left again.

There’s another miniboss Shadow to guard the final Will Seed.

>Leave it to me.

But since you’re here… It’ll be the last of you!

This fight’s not going great for us…

Oh, I guess this fight’s over now, huh?

I really can’t wait for us to unlock like, any other Showtime.

We equip that Crystal of Gluttony right onto Queen. It lets her use Marakukaja!

Now we set both switches to “right” and proceed. Let’s check on the queue again…

Maaaaaaaaaan… So close…

Based on how this looks, we’re going to have to find a bunch of power boxes…

Hidden grapple spot here, which we can use to get up above for chests to open and power boxes to break.

We spend our final Lockpick to receive a full-party full-heal item. Not too shabby.

And that’s all the security in this room. We can go floop the pig now.

I doubt it’s the first time it’s procced, but this is almost certainly the first time I’ve mentioned Harisen Recovery in Royal. It functions exactly the same as it did in the original game: a party member with Harisen Recovery has a chance to slap another party member afflicted with an ailment with a harisen (large paper fan) to cure them. Also, Ryuji’s isn’t quite in his hand here.

What!? No one told me there would be math! I’m an English major! I was specifically avoiding this!

Safes everywhere… Kaneshiro must have gained an obscene amount of money. Though, walking around the Palace, I don’t see anything that he seems to have spent it on…
Perhaps all he wants to do with it is hoard it…

Ah, I see. The acquisition of money itself, not the consumption, is the status symbol to him. Interesting.

Now’s not the time for this discussion, though. Let’s keep going.

And isn’t that the power for the bars?
Oh. You’re right—we can’t go this way. *sigh* I guess we’ll just have to look for a different path.

What should we do? I don’t think we should have to pay Kaneshiro…

Yeah, I think we’d be better off looking for some other solution here.

This is what it looks like on the other side of one of those golden doors. We’re not going to pay to skip anything, though. It’s not a huge skip anyway. However, I will mention that I neglected to fully explore this final area of the Palace and didn’t notice until just now, so I’ll be coming back here when we return to steal the Treasure (because I still have that save file, at least). If there’s anything interesting, I’ll show it.

Panther learns Fire Break. Lame.

Mona learns Diarama. All right, now we’re talking.

Grappling here leads us to a chest with some incenses. These are for Lockdown, and we’ll see what they do in an update or so.

More negotiating narrow gaps between cameras here.

The gold vaults here will automatically extrude as we approach so we can climb on them. But anyway, how’s the queue now?

Oh man! Just a few more minutes!

Final pig found.

And now for the final code.

U+G=L? O+H=10? What manner of horseshit is this? I can switch numbers with letters just fine, but you want me to add fake numbers to get another fake number? No thanks!

I’m cheating! gently caress you!

Man, I love gold! I’m gonna make everything in my house gold! Golden sink, golden bed, golden sho—you know what, this was a bad idea.

With this much, I will be invincible! Omnipotent! I’ve changed… I’m no longer the person I used to be…
The person he used to be…? What could have happened to make him so distorted?

It’s either going to be some extremely lame Freudian bullshit or literally nothing.

I think it’s implied to be some extremely lame Freudian bullshit if I remember correctly, but I also remember the game never actually telling you what happened so it might as well be nothing, honestly.

I don’t know, but no matter what kind of past he has, his actions are unforgivable.
That’s right. Now, if my deductions are accurate, that should’ve been the final mechanism.

You’re like some kinda prophet, Queen…
It’s mostly thanks to that notebook. We wouldn’t be here if it weren’t for that. More importantly, did you hear all those things Shadow Kaneshiro was saying?
Oh yeah, I was wondering about that! Didn’t he seem kinda… insecure or something?
Exactly. He kept bringing up how rich and powerful he wants to be.
So if he’s insecure about that poo poo… he thinks he’s really just some poor weakling, huh?
Maybe by thinking he was going to be a strong, wealthy man, he convinced himself it was true.
I wonder… Well, we will discover the truth for ourselves when we change his heart. Let us hurry, Joker.

I don’t see anything.
Once we get this far, we need this callin’ card thing.
A calling card… I see… Making the target believe that the Treasure is in danger will cause it to materialize. That’s quite a bold trick.
Huh? She understood?

Stop showing off, newbie.

Joker, we’ll defer to you regarding its timing.
Okay guys, let’s get ready for the heist!

In the end, that Kaneshiro bastard only showed his stupid face once…
That doesn’t matter. As long as we steal the Treasure, we’ll change his heart.
Then let’s act as the Phantom Thieves should and send the calling card. It’s on you, Joker.
If you wish to train or explore further before sending it, that decision is purely yours.

Yeah, no pressure. Sheesh.

Hey, remember that scene when we were going down the elevator into this room and we could look down on it from high above? …Isn’t the ceiling too low here for that scene to make sense? Oh, whatever. Let’s just go back to the queue. I can’t believe I finished this entire update before I got in.

Oh yeah, baby! I can taste it! Just one more refresh and—

*sigh* Yeah, that’s about right.

Arist fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Dec 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Arist posted:

Yeah, I know, I took a month-long break halfway through a Palace. In my defense… uhh… really thought I’d think of something! Let’s just say I had “other priorities.”
Your defence can be that LPs are a hobby - you've played through this 80% of this game once already, I don't think anyone will begrudge you a break.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Don't worry about it, I just like making fun of myself

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Your cat looks good. I like her hat.

I don't think Kaneshiro gets explained any more than 'he was treated badly so now he wants to be the person who treats others badly' which is a fine basic motivation for a fine basic villain.

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
As a fellow player, I knew the FF14 part of this post was gonna end in 2002.

...It still hurts to see it happen. Especially at a low number like 24.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

You'd think that since Ryuji wields bludgeoning weapons like metal pipes and baseball bats, a harisen (which would be held like Ryuji's melee weapons) would be an easy weapon to slot into his model for Harisen Recovery. But apparently not!

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Hellioning posted:

Your cat looks good. I like her hat.

I don't think Kaneshiro gets explained any more than 'he was treated badly so now he wants to be the person who treats others badly' which is a fine basic motivation for a fine basic villain.

Given the context I’m pretty sure he was bullied for being fat and kind of squat/ugly.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Arist posted:

Yeah, I think we’d be better off looking for some other
solution here.

Unusual line break here

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Lord_Magmar posted:

Given the context I’m pretty sure he was bullied for being fat and kind of squat/ugly.

Kids would shove him into lockers for looking and sounding like a human version of Garfield.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Showtimes trigger quite a bit, huh.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

GimmickMan posted:

Showtimes trigger quite a bit, huh.

If I recall correctly, the worst shape the party is in the higher the chance of one triggering. I might be wrong though, it's not like I ran a statistical study.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Omobono posted:

If I recall correctly, the worst shape the party is in the higher the chance of one triggering. I might be wrong though, it's not like I ran a statistical study.

From googling it, it looks like there are are a lot of conditions where it will trigger but basically yeah they all boil down to this EXCEPT sometimes it'll go off after you do a baton pass.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
I hope you picked the correct voice for your catgirl.

(waaaa)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 65: 6/23: Cause For Alarm (New)

I built a computer over the holiday! No real reason to share this with you, I just wanted to brag! Though, if there’s any rough edges on this update, it’s because I need to adapt my workflow to this new machine. That’s the only possible reason anything might look weird. Other than the 13 Sentinels board, anyway, that nightmare always looks weird.

Music: Price

Well, time to leave the Palace.

…Oh?

It’s like… I forgot my homework *and* pooped my pants at the same time…

Music: Aria of the Soul

Huh, this is… interesting.

So… Igor… this place looks a bit… different. Have you been remodeling?
So glad you noticed! We’re tearing out the old floors, going full marble for the countertops, and replacing those old, dull guillotine blades! I can’t tell you the last time we did any serious work on our execution equipment, someone could really hurt themselves using those things!

This is a failsafe to ensure you do not neglect your rehabilitation. It’s intended to push you into performing executions. We call it a “Fusion Alarm.”
It’s a warning system that tells you when you’ve been slacking off on your duties! When you hear this sound, the first things on your mind should be this place and executions!
You must become stronger for the sake of your rehabilitation.
Executions will be much more severe when the alarm is sounding! The result of this is that any fused Personas will be further strengthened!
However, the more executions that you perform during the alarm, the higher the chance of an accident occurring. With that in mind, you must prepare more than usual while performing executions in the midst of an alarm.
The alarm will sound after you’ve endured numerous repeated battles! Make certain you come here as soon as you hear it! Got that!?

Good! You’d better make excellent use of the alarm!

Basically, the Fusion Alarm means that wild poo poo’s gonna happen. We can activate an alarm by getting into a bunch of fights. No concrete number, just “a bunch.”

You get the opportunity for more stats and more inherited skills, as well as the possibility of skills changing. But using the same execution method multiple times has an increased chance of causing a fusion accident.

If you use a Persona created during the current alarm, you can get even crazier bonuses… but the chance of an accident occurring will increase again if you do that.

Also, the alarm ends if we leave or talk to the twins, and we get kicked out if an accident happens.

If we select the Inmate Registry, we can see the twins… uh…

…Doing a fusion dance?

Oh, I see, it’s some weird cooperative calisthenics. Whatever.

BUT, if you keep treading the same ground in your fusions, you might not get the results you expect! So, look out!

So, I’m firmly in the camp that likes to go buck wild and take full advantage of the fusion alarm by doing as many executions as I can until the game ejects me. People who remember the Persona 4 Endurance Run probably have some idea (and some perhaps not-so-fond memories) of what’s about to happen: That’s right, baby! Tell your disappointment to suck it! I’m doing a fusion episode!

First up, Shiki-Ouji from Ippon-Datara and Leanan Sidhe.

Ooh, I see they’ve mixed some yellow into the usual blue viscera.

And so shiny!

You have that mask in your heart. That means you my peer!

Worth noting that our stat increases from the alarm, shown in blue, are considerable in size. Anyway, remember when I would do little Persona descriptions when I fused? Well, time to bring those back.

Shiki-Ouji is a powerful shikigami (not a shinigami, that’s Death Note). It’s ferocious and can only be summoned as a servant by the most elite practitioners of the arts of Yin and Yang.

Two of our skills, Double Shot and Psio, have turned red.

Eh, sure, why not?

Hey, Double Shot is now Cornered Fang (Medium Physical to one enemy, more damage when surrounded) and Psio is now Mapsio! That’s… kind of a wash, honestly. Mapsio isn’t a bad upgrade (though regular Psio is debatably more useful) but a good Gun skill to a mediocre Physical one isn’t great.

Then we level up and replace some skills (including Cornered Fang) with Mapsi (worthless now) and Dekaja.

Your new Persona is temporarily overflowing with power. You might get some unexpected results if you use this one in a ritual during the alarm. Even if it’s not the result you expect, something big will happen—so you’d better make it work for you!

Interesting…

Let’s back off the guillotine for now. We should explore our other options before going back to it.

Let’s check out the Electric Chair’s offerings.

This Spiral Aid Charm from Kushi Mitama seems good. Who doesn’t want Media, right? And we’ve got plenty of Black Rocks to make it from.

Pressing Square will reveal the effect of the alarm: it gets upgraded from an Aid Charm, which just gives normal Dia.

Seems like a bargain, let’s do it.

Let’s try Lockdown now.

You can only lock up one Persona at a time, though. And, while it’s locked up, you won’t be able to use it in battle or fusions. If you forget that, it’s all on you! As the days pass, your Persona will grow stronger and learn a new resistance. That’s not all—if you make sure to burn some incense, the Persona will grow even more! If you want more detail that that, you’ll have to ask later. For now, get a Persona into Lockdown!

Oh, right, we didn’t actually go through the tutorial for this.

Oh-ho! I don’t know where you got that incense, but you should use it with this Persona! All right, pick a Persona to lock up, then burn the incense! You’ll see the effects by tomorrow at the earliest!

Let’s do Rakshasa, because it has two weaknesses.

We’ll do the Luck incense, partly because of Rakshasa’s low Luck stat, but mostly because we have three of them and I’m not terribly invested in this Persona. But the incense effect is doubled from the alarm, anyway, so cool.

The Persona is a part of your heart. If it stays away from you for too long, it could disappear. We’ll give you a single warning before it happens, but after that, it’s entirely on you.

Let’s return to the guillotine and make a Sui-Ki from Matador and Orthrus.

Overflowing power has joined you along with that new mask…

Sui-Ki is one of the four oni controlled by Fujiwara-no-Chikata. Its name means “Water Oni” and it can freeze anything to the core.

I might regret losing Mabufu, but let’s see what this change is…

Baisudi (cures Burn/Freeze/Shock). Blegh. Not a good skill to lose Mabufu for.

Yeah, yeah, I heard you the first time.

Now, let’s try Nigi Mitama from Ame-no-Uzume and Orthrus.

Chippity Choppity!

Uh oh, the guillotine has gone Stippity Stoppity!

The twins quickly rectify this.

You want to be with me so much you’re making me a mask? Sure, do whatever your heart desires.

Understatement.

So… we’re stuck with this level 7 Succubus. Ugh. A succubus is a demon from European folklore that takes the form of an attractive woman to seduce men. They use energy from these men to sustain themselves, often until those men deteriorate and die.

You will have to take your leave while the equipment undergoes maintenance.

Unfortunately, I did not have the foresight to try to fuse a Persona from an alarm result Persona, so we’ll have to save that for the next alarm. Let’s just say the twins weren’t kidding when they said those fusions get weird.

Double unfortunately, we’re not quite done in there, so… let’s go right back in!

Phoenix from Kelpie and Yaksini.

I am the true master of all winged beasts… and so, I shall become a mask and bestow peace upon thee…

The Persona description for this one is “The legendary bird of Chinese myth, said to only appear in times of peace. It is the ruler of all birds. When it dies, birds across the land chirp with sadness.” This is apparently not the legendary firebird, as I learned when I went to the Megaten wiki, this is a different entity conflated with it, also known as Feng Huang. The recently released SMTV actually has the proper name, but not Persona 5 for some reason!

Remember, we need Phoenix with Counter for our Strength requests, and we’ve just fulfilled that request with this fusion.

Next, Nigi Mitama from Succubus and Orthrus.

Kindness is a blessing of repose. I shall become a mask and grant tranquility to your soul…

Nigi Mitama is one of the mitamas, the calm and functional side of a person or spirit’s soul. It is the opposite of the Ara Mitama.

Lastly, we’re going to make Anzu from Oni and Matador.

If you have the mask, then let us ascend together to the apex…

Let’s see the twins now that we have that Phoenix with Counter.

What is it, Inmate? Need to check on your penal labor?
This presence… You have brought a Phoenix with Counter, just as we asked.
Heh… Very well. Your assignment’s done.

Strength Rank 4: Part 59

His Personas are getting decently strong as well. Seems like this “rehabilitation” stuff is working.
Hmm… Is fostering the Inmate’s Personas… truly rehabilitation?
Don’t look at me, man. I have no idea what that even means.
Where’s this coming from?
It’s merely a thought…
Get your head in the game, Justine! These are our master’s orders! You’re gonna get us in trouble!
I didn’t mean to cause an issue…
Listen, Justine. This guy’s not that important, even if he is the wild card. Just follow the plan, and everything will work out.
Wait… the wild card!? Whoever wrote this list must have known that the person carrying out these tasks would possess it…
But even our master didn’t know the Inmate would have that! That’s impossible!
I know you guys are in the middle of some manner of existential crisis, but can I have my reward now?
Shut up! We already told you you’re not getting rewarded until you finish your next task!

Hmph. Either way, this’ll all get resolved if you just hurry up and finish your rehabilitation already! Justine, give him his next task so he’ll quit talking back!
…Very well. It seems that it is time for us to be serious.
I feel like my bond with Caroline and Justine is growing deeper…

As previously mentioned, here is the second task you must complete before receiving your reward.

You only need speak with us once you obtain it. We will be able to tell.
Go work up a sweat, Inmate!

Well, that’s all we needed to do in there.

Music: Price

You’re right… And once we send it, the heist is the only thing left… We have to succeed… I’ll let you decide when we do it, Joker. Let’s make sure we’re ready before then!

After School → Evening

Music: Beneath the Mask

We should do it soon. We have no guarantee Kaneshiro will keep his word.

Honestly, I can’t wait to send it. I want to put a stop to his nasty crimes as soon as possible.

NASTY CRIMES

>That… terminology is a bit out-of-character Makoto, but I suppose I agree.

We’ll be ready to go whenever you are!

More Thieves’ Den stuff.

(Game Show Host) Consider the following… A: Paying a machine fake money/B: Ordering food without money/Which one of these counts as fraud? You be the judge!

(Game Show Host) The correct answer is… B! Ordering food when you don’t have any money!
(Lawyer) Fraud involves deceiving a person. That’s why ordering food when you don’t have money counts as fraud. If you use fake coins on a vending machine or at the coin laundry, it’s considered larceny.
So doing a dine and dash is actually fraud? Whoa, I should watch out for that...

How often are you dining and dashing? When would you even be in the position to do that?

It feels like I’ve improved my Knowledge.

Maaku gains Knowledge +1.

We feed our plant the good stuff. Maaku gains Kindness +3.

We have no Lockpicks left and we’re probably just going to send the calling card tomorrow, so let’s read this crafting book so we can craft more after we send it.

Music: Everyday Days

What a vague answer… Maybe it’s trying to say that it’s important to stay motivated.

I had my doubts about this book, but the latter half of it was a worthwhile read!

Cool, now we can craft even more.

Arist fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 1, 2022

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

NASTY CRIMES

I want to be part of the NASTY CRIMES gang

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
The Fusion Dance is the latest TikTok trend

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Arist posted:

People who remember the Persona 4 Endurance Run probably have some idea (and some perhaps not-so-fond memories) of what’s about to happen: That’s right, baby! Tell your disappointment to suck it! I’m doing a fusion episode!

My disappointment is that funky student is nowhere to be seen in Persona 5 Royal.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
With fusion alarms I will fuse together my 3 least useful demons together to get a true chance at something crazy as it doesn't matter what skills they have on, everything gets replaced to fuse a very focused demon.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I must have put around 30-40 hours (including time/results that did not get saved because of accidents) just into Fusion Alarm experimentation in my first Royal playthrough.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Fusion Alarms are absurdly broken and it's amazing :allears:

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

My worst Fusion Accident changed a high-level Persona into a Legion with nothing but Resist skills.

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

How did you manage to use the same option twice?

Anytime I repeated any type I was guaranteed to get an accident.

Gantolandon posted:

My worst Fusion Accident changed a high-level Persona into a Legion with nothing but Resist skills.

The best accident I had during an alarm was a Setanta with all the Null skills at the start of Futaba's Palace.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

TheKirbs posted:

Same

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Arist posted:

Honestly, I can’t wait to send it. I want to put a stop to his nasty crimes as soon as possible.

NASTY CRIMES

This feels obligatory.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

TheKirbs posted:

Just luck, I guess. Or maybe cycling through the other equipment reduced the chance for an accident a bit? Who knows.

Anyway, I hope to have the next update up within a few hours, but I figured I'd share a story you all might get a kick out of in the meantime. See, last January my PCIe capture card (an Elgato HD60 Pro, for reference) stopped working properly. It was basically unusable to record anything because of atrocious audio desync. Thankfully, I managed to get by recording with OBS, as well as using a backup, non-PCIe capture card. I was reluctant to send the defective capture card back because that capture card was actually a replacement of a different HD60 Pro that had a different issue that I had already exchanged for the then-current one, but eventually I had enough and started the process to replace it because it was still under warranty. However, the replacement had the same issue, making me think it was somehow my computer causing the issue. Well, that computer was getting pretty annoying to use anyway due to its age, so I did the sensible thing:

I built a whole new one, as you have already seen. Now, problem solved, right?

Ha. Hahaha. Hahahahaha.

I plug that poo poo in and it works... slightly better, but is still having the same issue. So it's really looking like, somehow, I got shipped a replacement capture card with the same issue as the one I sent to them. Because I clearly have learned nothing, I decide that the best option is to... take the opportunity to buy the better, 4K capture card. Now, I don't need or care about 4K. My monitors aren't even 4K. When I went looking for a graphics card for this new machine, I didn't want to upgrade my monitors, so I looked for a card with two HDMI out ports because they don't even have DisplayPort... ports. But I figure, hey, it's a newer card, maybe it's better-supported. So I spend over $200, thankfully mostly from giftcards I received over the holiday, to buy the 4K60 Pro, the newer, better version of the HD60 Pro.

Well, I got a delivery within the last hour. The first thing I noticed was that the package wasn't just suspiciously light. It was, in fact, so light that I assumed it contained nothing, which in hindsight might have made more sense. Suffice to say, there was obviously no capture card in this thing. I opened it anyway. It contained this little pouch:

Well, at least the label is actually for the item I purchased :v:

And of course I'm not about to stop here, so I open the pouch, and I find...

Behold! My new capture card!

I... think it's a hair tie? Kind of a letdown, honestly. I spent $200, I was hoping for, like, magic beans that would set me off on an adventure into the sky or some poo poo. I just have some outstanding luck with Elgato brand hardware, it seems, even though I rather doubt this latest incident is in any way their fault (which is just what they want me to think!). In the ongoing comedic saga consisting of my tribulations with trying to actually loving use or even just obtain a capture card, this is perhaps the pinnacle. I am truly defeated this day, but it's at least kind of funny this time.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

I'm sorry you're disappointed with the form factor of your new capture card, but Hair Tie is the future of computing and you're just going to have to accept it. Obviously you'll need to acquire a new motherboard with a compatible adapter - these days literalism is in so you'll need to put that Hair Tie on a Bored Mother. Good luck!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 66: 6/24-6/25: Super Fly (New)

This update covers content from Part 60 of the original LP.

Anon: I secretly root for them 8)

Early Morning

Music: Beneath the Mask (Instrumental Version)

Oh right, we already know where the Treasure is, yeah? What’s the plan? Wanna send the calling card already?

We might have one or two things to take care of before we send the calling card so we won’t be heading straight there, but we’ll definitely do it today, okay?

Well, we still got time. Lemme know when you’re done preparing. But don’t decide too late, man.

Early Morning → After School

Music: Layer Cake

We stop in briefly at Untouchable.

Sell our assorted detritus…

…And buy a new piece of armor for Morgana. I’m not even sure why I do this, though. We’re not going to be using him in the boss fight.

Music: Tokyo Daylight

Then, we head to Kichijoji to check out that one vendor Morgana wouldn’t let us buy anything from.

This shop sells incenses for Lockdown! Wow!

Music: Tokyo Emergency

Well, that was pretty pointless, let’s just head over to the hideout to meet up.

Notice: the next scene has some of the best VO in the entire game courtesy of Max Mittelman. Seriously, Ryuji is loving hilarious here. I’ll post a clip of it here.

Music: Wicked Plan

Ah— Hey, Makoto!
Hm? Is something wrong?
Nah, nah, it’s nothin’…
Well, it definitely doesn’t seem like it’s “nothin’” to you…
Uhh, so… I’ve been doin’ a little thinkin’, and…

What, are you breaking up with her? Get to the point, man!

How do I put it… I guess I was thinkin’ about comin’ up with a new move—like a special tag-team move, kinda thing.

Wait, a new Showtime! That’s just what I’ve been waiting for!

So, I got this idea while playin’ a video game, and… it’s a move that’s gonna need your help…

Oh god.

Know what? Never mind. I just saw something like it in the game and thought it looked cool… When I try to say it out loud, it seems too insane…
Insane, huh?

I wha…?
Why don’t you tell me your idea? By the way you described it, it must be a pretty good one.
Uh, alright… Just… don’t get mad at me, okay?

Heh, so stupid, right!? Yeah, I was just jokin’! Haha… Please forget what I said.
…That could work.
Yeah, that could work— Wait, what?
But, if we’re going to do this, we’ll have to push ourselves harder than ever before. Think you can keep up?

We should probably get going now, though. I wouldn’t want to make everyone else wait.
Yeah!

Music: Suspicion

I would agree, but it will not be an easy task this time.
Yeah, nobody actually knows him…
There’s so goddamn much I wanna write on the calling card too…

I mean… not in a bad way. It’s a bit difficult to explain with words alone.
Don’t worry, I’ll take care of explaining! Alright, so the plan is…

It doesn’t react at all other times, though… I don’t get how this thing works.
Instead of granting wishes, maybe it just offers a bit of support…?

Then let’s give it a try when there’s an opportujnity. Make sure to match my timing, okay?
Yes, ma’am!

So, we now have another Showtime unlocked. We’ll generally get new Showtimes when we unlock a new Palace or reach the Treasure of one. This one is Ryuji and Makoto’s, naturally. I’ll make a little chart of the ones we’ve unlocked:

And hopefully I’ll remember to keep that updated.

Music: Tokyo Emergency

Anon: They’re still thieves…
Anon: They’ve always been fishy…
Anon: They seem full of it, so NO
Anon: of course not. done
Anon: Justice? Sounds sketchy
Anon: A bit childish, but I like it!
Anon: HECK YES

Let’s just send it, then.

Music: Wicked Plan

Yeah, we don’t know where he lives…
Hm? Why not use the same method as before?

It sounds like Makoto has an idea in mind…

After School → Evening

Music: Beneath the Mask -Rain-

Makoto took Ryuji with her. She specifically mentioned that he would be fine and we have nothing to worry about.

In retrospect, it was very suspicious!

Hm? I wonder what she plans on doing with him… Has anyone heard anything from either of them?

>Eh, it’ll be fine.

(Newscaster) The mafia is suspected of being behind a rash of scams, and we’ve interviewed one of the victims. What we found was a young person suffering in the depths of despair.
One of the victims is on TV. I guess Kaneshiro got him, too.

Oh wow, we get to make even more because it’s raining. Well, let’s see how many it lets us—

Music: Everyday Days

Nine!? Christ!

Well, let’s get to it, then. Not like we have anything better to craft than Lockpicks.

Sweet, 10 total. Though we made so many it would be kind of bullshit if the double craft proc didn’t activate.

Maaku gains Proficiency +2, plus a bonus Proficiency +1 from the double craft proc.

Anon: Isn’t this a crime?
Anon: get off your high horse
Anon: NO! justice ain’t that simple

It says it’s from the Phantom Thieves…
Look, there’s a bunch over there, too!
Is this some kind of stealth marketing campaign?
Junya Kaneshiro? Who’s that?

Anon: They’ve always been fishy…
Anon: of course not. done

Morning

Music: My Homie

(Woman’s Voice) Uhhh, ahem… Mr. Ushimaru, please come to the faculty office at once.
What? I don’t know what business this is… You better study on your own until I return!

Wasn’t that Kawakami on the PA? There’s no way that announcement was real… It must have been the signal!

So, we’ve finally arrived at the first segment involving “Free Time,” the upgrade to Kawakami’s Slack Off, where she gives us time off in other teachers’ classes.

Kawakami’s been kind enough to give us this free time, so we’d better put it to good use. So, what’s the plan?

We’re obviously going to read, because we’re flush with Lockpicks at the moment.

Let’s finish The Gallant Rogue. We need the Guts to unlock Iwai as soon as we can, and we also want to get through all the school library’s selections before summer break.

Ishikawa Goemon was a thief without peer. So he was a hero of the common people, huh?

That splendid spirit that pays no mind to the bad guys… He’s a true example of a gentleman thief. After reading this, I’m sure you have a better understanding of a chivalrous thief’s courage.

Maaku gains Guts +3.

Phew, that was close. Kawakami helped us get a good chunk of free time though!

Morning → After School

Music: Desire

I mentioned it in the old LP, but I feel the need to remind you because it’s really weird and funny: this “Menacing Man” sounds incredibly nervous for this whole scene. And not in a “he’s just afraid of Kaneshiro” way, in a “he’s just generally an incredibly neurotic human being” way. It’s… a choice, and one I love, honestly.

Uh, I found this on the car. There’s something written on it…
Hm? Read it.

That katsudon place you like is doing a promotion! If you can finish their biggest bowl ever, you eat for free!
Heh. Today’s looking up. Was that all?
Oh… right… there was one other thing. The Phantom Thieves called you out, sir.
What!?
I’ve heard a little about this. Some of the other guys think this letter is a prank, but it’s all over Shibuya right now… I thought you should probably know…
What does it say, dammit!?

“You indulge in scamming others with horrendous methods that target minors exclusively. We have decided to make you confess all your crimes with your own mouth. We will take your distorted desires without fail. From, #Millennials…” I-Isn’t this bad?
What of it?
I-If something happened to you…! I mean, if the higher-ups find out about this…
Don’t waste your time worrying about this useless poo poo. Just keep quiet for now.

It’s just some annoying kids pulling some stupid prank…
…Prank? Could this have something to do with those kids who barged in here five days ago and knew your name?
Those brats… Hmm…
…Nah.
Anyway, the attention will be a nuisance, but I’m utterly untouchable. Just let this blow over and the higher-ups won’t need to know a thing.

B-But it’s… posted all around the city… People’re talking about it online too…
Grr… All of you, bring me your earnings! If you don’t surpass your quota… I’ll kill you.
Y-Yes, sir!

What? We just got here. There’s still food on the table, we haven’t even eaten yet.

They’ll pay for this…

Music: Life Will Change (Instrumental Version)

A good idea, no? Given the theatrical nature of this one, Kaneshiro must surely have been contacted about it.
You truly are the brains of this Phantom Thieves operation! Ryuji, you should follow her example!
Y’know I’m the one who went postin’ it everywhere, right!? I even had to get all dressed up so they wouldn’t notice me!

Ryuji, I’ve been meaning to ask… why’d you pick gluttony as Kaneshiro’s sin? Wouldn’t greed make more sense?
Well…
I think I get it. Kaneshiro’s mission isn’t pure deprivation at other’s expense. That’s a side effect, of course, but not the root goal. He’s not even trying to build himself up or fulfill ambition, not really. He’s just hoarding, conspicuously consuming to make himself feel big and powerful and less empty. He’s not really greedy, just… hungry.
Ah, well put, Maaku. I must admit I did not think Ryuji capable of such a fine distinction, but he has shown himself to be more intuitive than he seems.
What are you guys talking about? I picked gluttony because he’s fat.
……

Come now, we don’t have the time for idle chitchat. Let us get moving.
We’re going up against a truly horrible criminal this time…
That dick ain’t gonna stop us now that we got our awesome new member! Makoto! You remember how all this works?
Once we steal the Treasure, the Palace will crumble and the Palace ruler’s heart will change.
Wow, you got that quick! I think Ryuji’s still struggling to comprehend it all…
The old me is dead. Makoto the sycophant is gone… and the corrupt adults who controlled her are next!
Sounds like you’re fired up! All right, Joker! Give us the signal!

First things first: let’s set our party. I’ll be using Skull, Fox, and Queen for the boss fight, so I set them in my active party.

Next, we head over to the second golden door in the last sub-area of the big vault to see the stuff I missed. There’s really only one thing of note, though:

Right after that door, there’s a shortcut to the area with the final pig. We missed a kickable wall box in that room.

Breaking it turns off the electric barriers, including this one up above everything else that I didn’t notice.

We can climb up onto the wall from there and grapple up.

Our reward is a Snuff Soul. 50 SP isn’t bad, but unfortunately I immediately reload and lose it because I want to go into the boss fight fresh. Oh well!

Let’s just head down to the Treasure.

He was waitin’ for us!

Music: Blood of Villain

A safe!? This wasn’t here the last time we came!

Are banks really known for their ability to quickly remodel? …That’s a legitimate question, I don’t use banks. Don’t trust ‘em.
Aren’t you in charge of the team’s finances, though?
Yeah, but I just carry all that poo poo on me. Why, is that bad?
Dude…
Oh my god…
Seems fine to me.

Lucky? Don’t be ridiculous.

Well, maybe some of it was luck. Like… ten percent, maybe? Twenty percent skill, though. Fifteen perce—
Dammit, not this again…
*ahem* Fifteen percent concentrate—
What’s he…?
Just keep talking, don’t indulge him.

We’re gonna change your heart and make you confess everything you’ve done. That’ll save all those people who’re suffering ‘cause of your lovely actions.

CONCENTRATED POWER OF WILL

Even the police’re strugglin’ to deal with you, so this’ll make the public believe in us too!
Those in power work the ones below them to the bone for money. Such is the hierarchy of the world. Just accept your fate as a source of my wealth!

FIVE PERCENT PLEASURE

We’ll never agree to that!
And hierarchy? You have to be out of your mind.
All of that was forced on me too, you know! I went through poo poo until I crawled my way out of the dregs! Now it’s my turn to profit on everyone else!

FIFTY PERCENT PAIN
That’s quite a lot of pain…
Shh!

Still! Don’t you think you’re getting back at the wrong people?
What a pitiful man.
It doesn’t matter whether you’re clean or dirty! Only the clever come out on top! The strong and the smart devour the weak. That is the natural order of things. You drat brats who think you know the world through the poo poo you read online will make perfect prey.
Hmph. He is utterly hopeless.
It’s always the fools who get tricked! Fools who have to pay for their foolishness. And if those fools don’t learn, well they have to suck it up and stay as plain, stupid fools!
Will you just shut it already!?

Hmm. I suppose Joker was right when he speculated it was “some lame Freudian bullshit.” Thoughts, Joker?
AND A HUNDRED PERCENT REASON TO REMEMBER THE NAME
Right…
Blugh! What’s going on… Oh, this. Sorry, I blacked out for a second there.
Sometimes, our leader rather worries me…
Hey, you guys notice that all this dude’s henchman in here were big scary Shadows, but now he’s just got three regular-rear end dudes with him? What’s up with that?

I guess there’s not much point saying anything to you fools! This is where my gracious lecture ends. Now then, I hope you’re ready to work as slaves here for the rest of your lives.
That’s outrageous!
*snicker* I’m gonna swarm all over you… and squeeze out every last penny!

Stupid Pointless Bullshit I Noticed In This Run #46853: These dudes aren’t far enough apart and one of them slightly clips through the other very briefly right here.

There’s probably some metaphor or something in these dudes running from Kaneshiro when they see the monstrosity of his true form. I don’t really care to unpack it, though.

This is still… quite the line.

Now, this is where I’d normally put the boss fight… but I’m running dangerously low on space here. I have like 15k characters left before this update gets too big and we’re not quite halfway through it, so I’ll split this one. See you in the next post!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I went overboard with GIFs again, and considering that this is already a heaping helping of an update, I linked the second bit in the testposter:

Chapter 67: 6/25: Glutton For Punishment (New)

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Arist posted:

I went overboard with GIFs again, and considering that this is already a heaping helping of an update, I linked the second bit in the testposter:

You have a broken italics bracket in here, when describing Make it Rain:

quote:

We’d better recover immediately so we’re prepared in case he does that again. Unfortunately, he doesn’t do that again immediately. Instead, he uses Lullaby to put Joker and Fox to sleep first. Then[i/] he uses Make it Rain again. I was legitimately pretty scared and worried that he would just one-shot Joker from the Technical hit.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Fixed.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

on a related note:

Arist posted:

FIFTY PERCENT PAIN

*slam

Arist posted:

AND A HUNDRED PERCENT REASON TO REMEMBER THE NAME

*jam

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I was never sure if Kaneshiro's mannerisms when he transforms were supposed to be a "fly" pun or not.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I never knew that Kaneshiro’s bodyguards eventually run away after a certain point, I beat them in both my runs 🙃

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's honestly still super funny to me that I just happened to have fused Phoenix right before doing this. If I didn't do that I'd have no source of Sleep except for consumable items. It's really strange that they tell you to do that with no forewarning that the fight will go a lot more smoothly if you do. I guess if you brought Panther she could use Dormina, but that's a big if, especially because we haven't even unlocked Hifumi's Confidant yet and so have no way to swap party members mid-battle.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Arist posted:

For some reason it’s weird to me hearing a Palace ruler explicitly call their domain a “Palace.” It just kinda feels like that’s something that Igor and Mona and the like invented the nomenclature for.

Yeah, this was added in translation, seems likely this is unintended especially considering the navigation app makes you say 'the owner thinks their palace is [real location] represented as [other thing]'.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Arist posted:

Seems like showtimes, aside from two different animations, have 3 different dialogs for each of the animations. For instance, the Queen-Skull boss finisher has Makoto can say either "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru" or "HAAAAAAAAAAAA". (I am not sure what the third can be but I think it's a variation of the former.)

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Polsy posted:

Yeah, this was added in translation, seems likely this is unintended especially considering the navigation app makes you say 'the owner thinks their palace is [real location] represented as [other thing]'.

Kaneshiro knows about the Black Mask doesn’t he, so he’s been in contact with ideas about Palaces and the other person with Metaverse access.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I don't know how much Kaneshiro knows about Shido's setup, but his shadow is having semi-regular tea and pancakes with Pancakes-kun so he could have picked some of the nomenclature from him.
I'm assuming Wakaba used the same naming conventions in her documents.

I'm convinced showtimes are totally rigged to trigger when it would be fatal against a boss as I've had showtimes against all bosses from now on, special mentions to (showtime pairing spoilers) Noir and Mona murdering Okumura and Skull and Fox punting Pancakes. The latter was kinda fun if you know how his social link worked in the original release.

To be fair a lot of showtimes against Pancakes would be pure distilled schadenfreude one way or the other.

E: wait, I might be misremembering the first? Is it possible to unlock a showtime involving Noir before ending her dad's Palace?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Omobono posted:

I don't know how much Kaneshiro knows about Shido's setup, but his shadow is having semi-regular tea and pancakes with Pancakes-kun so he could have picked some of the nomenclature from him.
I'm assuming Wakaba used the same naming conventions in her documents.

I'm convinced showtimes are totally rigged to trigger when it would be fatal against a boss as I've had showtimes against all bosses from now on, special mentions to (showtime pairing spoilers) Noir and Mona murdering Okumura and Skull and Fox punting Pancakes. The latter was kinda fun if you know how his social link worked in the original release.

To be fair a lot of showtimes against Pancakes would be pure distilled schadenfreude one way or the other.

E: wait, I might be misremembering the first? Is it possible to unlock a showtime involving Noir before ending her dad's Palace?

I won't go into it, but you're right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

YaketySass posted:

I was never sure if Kaneshiro's mannerisms when he transforms were supposed to be a "fly" pun or not.

It's more him losing the veneer of a refined person. Real Kaneshiro is pretty much a gangster stereotype: not only he talks impolitely, his Japanese VA even uses the throaty "r" that's pretty much everyone associates with yakuza. He's loud, obnoxious, and menacing, partly because he wants to look big, but also because his henchmen pretty much expect this behavior. But deep down, he craves respect and legitimacy, which (in his opinion) one gets with money. For that reason, his Shadow Self looks like he thinks a respectable businessperson would look like: a fat man in a tacky suit, slick black hair, and a signet ring. He speaks politely, even when telling the Phantom Thieves that they now owe him a bajillion yen or get sold into prostitution. The last bit is a little out of character, but I like to think that Kaneshiro is too stupid to imagine something more fitting for a bank director.

But of course, even deeper down, he knows it will always be an act. As soon as the combat starts, he starts behaving even more like a stereotypical gangster, to the point when in the animation, he actually raps.

I must say I really like the changes in Royal, which make the Rulers' insecurities manifest during the boss fight. Kamoshida used his students to boost his ego and thought them useless—therefore, even if he calls them into combat, they are weak and clumsy, which costs him his most powerful attack. Madarame is a lovely artist and only good at copying. So he can do nothing in combat but create his replicas with a knockoff version of one generic attack, then get inevitably tired and make them defective. In the case of Kaneshiro, it's a little different than in Okumura fight in vanilla: the latter deep down knows that sooner or later, his reputation will be bad enough that no one will want to work for him. The former straight out believes he's too ugly and stupid to get real loyalty; if he has no money, others will surely leave him.