Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Infantry Online kicked rear end, I always just went the character class with the hoverboard or whatever and ran away from people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
There was this ad for some N64 mech battle game in Nintendo Power that I was super hyped for and then it ended up never being released outside Japan. It should be illegal to do that. Once you’ve advertised a game in a region you should be legally required to release it there.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

galagazombie posted:

There was this ad for some N64 mech battle game in Nintendo Power that I was super hyped for and then it ended up never being released outside Japan. It should be illegal to do that. Once you’ve advertised a game in a region you should be legally required to release it there.

[Insert Star Citizen joke here.]

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Infantry Online kicked rear end, I always just went the character class with the hoverboard or whatever and ran away from people

Jump Troopers owned, that game was crazily well balanced, all the classes were a blast.

I remember I used to play an infiltrator and try to snipe people by messaging them "remember me?" then when they stopped to reply I'd snipe them and say "now you will."

:iceburn:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Vakal posted:

This reminded me of an old game I used to play back in the days of the dial-up internet days on the SOE network called Infantry Online.

It turns out that people are still running free servers for it: http://www.freeinfantry.com/

It's been so long though I don't know how accurate it is to the original.

gently caress yeah Infantry Online was sick as hell, I remember being like 8 years old blasting Rage Against The Machine blowing up fools with rockets from my jet pack

Some people really liked building turrets and I could never fathom why, you could be jetpacking across the map and you chose a static position? In a game where the explosive weapons have way more range than the turrets? lol

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

In capture the flag a good engineer made defending so, so much easier.

The rocket turrets would gently caress you the gently caress up.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The worst genre of videogames is side scrolling/top down shooters

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Einhander is the only good example

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

fridge corn posted:

Einhander is the only good example

You piece of poo poo didn't even spell it right.

I hope you have very bad luck in your life.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

My life has been incredibly fortunate so far, sorry

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

fridge corn posted:

My life has been incredibly fortunate so far, sorry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCDmjbHkCQE

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Shmups would be so much better if they didn't insist on having you have to die in one hit.

And in general shed so much of the now completely pointless arcade baggage.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
There's something to be said for the notion that shmups are, like a lot of niche genre games, mostly made for hardcore shmup enthusiasts who use old games as their introduction. UN Squadron was a great intro to shmups, for example, as it was pretty gentle and mostly easy, but that game is 30 years old.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

There are plenty of shoot-'em-ups with life bars.

They're the bad ones. :colbert:

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

shmups were balanced to drain people's wallets, not with an eye towards actually being fun

the only way to play them is on mame or something and then you just have unlimited lives.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Panzeh posted:

There's something to be said for the notion that shmups are, like a lot of niche genre games, mostly made for hardcore shmup enthusiasts who use old games as their introduction. UN Squadron was a great intro to shmups, for example, as it was pretty gentle and mostly easy, but that game is 30 years old.

It's like if platformers never had a mainstay like Mario as an example to go on and everyone insisted the only valid way to make them is Super Meat Boy level difficulty.

Random Stranger posted:

There are plenty of shoot-'em-ups with life bars.

They're the bad ones. :colbert:

Case in point. This is why your genre is dead, stuffed and mounted, and relegated to gimmicks interrupting real games.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If you have any opinion about player character health in a computer video game, it means you really suck at said game. Like, how would you even know how player character health works if you weren't getting shot all the time like a pisshit noob lmao lol rolf.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Tyrian loving ruled though

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I really liked R-type as a kid. Yeah it was way too punishing and I never beat it, but there was something satisfying about collecting the powerups that changed your weapon into crazy poo poo that bounced off the walls.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
There are plenty of shmups that are fantastic and have beginner-friendly difficulty curves. Check out The Huntdown for a fantastic recent example.

Unless you mean specifically ship-shooters, in which case, yeah, they’re impossible (but still a lot of fun). We need a new Guardian Legend, the original was very close to a perfect game, just a little too hard in the ship sections.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

If you have any opinion about player character health in a computer video game, it means you really suck at said game. Like, how would you even know how player character health works if you weren't getting shot all the time like a pisshit noob lmao lol rolf.

god I HATE NOOBS SO MUCH

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
N00bs rule! #noobpride

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I've never taken damage in a videogame.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Video games have damaged me

Barudak
May 7, 2007

fridge corn posted:

Stop trying to eat them

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Barudak posted:

Stop trying to eat them

How else are you supposed to consume media?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

fridge corn posted:

Drink a healing potion

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

jokes posted:

Drink a healing potion

Whats your favorite? I like the one made from blue flower and wheat

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Probably alcohol

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

jokes posted:

Probably alcohol

Yer a witcher, jokes.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
verticle shmups can be a lot of fun to just get high and blast some good music and zone out to on some kinda emulation so you don't have to worry about money sink

horizontal shmups for some reason mess with my head i can never parse things fast enough when things are coming sideways

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Just turn your monitor 90 degrees

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
just tried final fantasy 14, lol, what is this forums obsession with that game, it's just wow with a more busy interface and a victory fanfare whenever you win a battle

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I will have you know I am not obsessed with FF14 whatsoever :smugbert:

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

JollyBoyJohn posted:

just tried final fantasy 14, lol, what is this forums obsession with that game, it's just wow with a more busy interface and a victory fanfare whenever you win a battle

did you play a catboy?

I played a catboy

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

did you play a catboy?

I played a catboy

Is there really any other option?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

did you play a catboy?

I played a catboy

I played a little arcanist dude, killed 3 ladybugs and 3 rats then ran around for 10 minutes looking for some land jellyfish and got bored

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I played a little arcanist dude, killed 3 ladybugs and 3 rats then ran around for 10 minutes looking for some land jellyfish and got bored

The full experience, then

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Caesar Saladin posted:

shmups were balanced to drain people's wallets, not with an eye towards actually being fun

the only way to play them is on mame or something and then you just have unlimited lives.

this also applies to the latest 100-million-dollar-budget AAA generic copypaste openworld game

people still make shmups nowadays, and since arcades basically don't exist they aren't designed to run on arcade cabs and suck quarters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
The only video game my wife will play with me is Sengoku Blade / Tengai.