Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Why did Luke have to go to Dagobah when there's perfectly good TRAINing on Tattooine? :thunkgun:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
This season is going to basically be Dune with the sandpeople as Fremen and spice as, well, spice. The last scene is going to be rain on Tatooine, finally.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Total Meatlove posted:

Fixed routes mean centralisation of repairs, maintenance and fuelling. Landing in the middle of nowhere vs landing 20 miles from the middle of nowhere and then shipping the rest is effectively analogous to old school ports, docks and canal networks.
Or they just don't want anyone to know where their secret illegal spice mine is :shrug:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Hazo posted:

One thing I wondered aloud while watching is why Boba walks with his chest puffed out with his held out to his sides.
My wife, who is much smarter than I am, pointed out that it's because Boba is still walking around like he has his armor on. He's just that loving confident and used to being an enforcer that he adopts his bounty hunter swagger even when he's running around in a onesie.

Reminded me of how Din acted like he still wore a helmet even without it by turning his whole head and body to look at someone rather than just glance at them

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
It’s a speeder so I’m sure it can adapt. What interests me more is the Pykes running spice on that particular planet. If they had been doing it a while, then they were likely doing it right under Jabba’s nose. If they just started, then they moved in real fast.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Handen posted:

I can't believe they brought back my favourite character, the train from SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY. :hehe:

Give me the train on Ord Mantell from the Shadows of the Empire game next.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

CornHolio posted:

This season is going to basically be Dune with the sandpeople as Fremen and spice as, well, spice. The last scene is going to be rain on Tatooine, finally.

This makes me wonder: why is he still hanging out with the tuskens? They literally captured him to be a slave / prisoner. He should have been on the first pack animal to town after saving the chief's kid. Definitely should've peaced out after the train poo poo, if not right after stealing the speeders.
"Hey guys, I've got a space ship. It can make short work of that train and dozens of you won't have to die."

Maybe episode 3 will finally tell us why he wants to be a crimelord / tusken

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Listen, if you can't enjoy a star wars show about snorting a live drug lizard and wandering a desert for wood, then we just can't be friends.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Handen posted:

I can't believe they brought back my favourite character, the train from SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY. :hehe:

fartknocker posted:

Give me the train on Ord Mantell from the Shadows of the Empire game next.

Star Wars fans literally only want one thing and it's loving disgusting.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

This makes me wonder: why is he still hanging out with the tuskens? They literally captured him to be a slave / prisoner. He should have been on the first pack animal to town after saving the chief's kid. Definitely should've peaced out after the train poo poo, if not right after stealing the speeders.
"Hey guys, I've got a space ship. It can make short work of that train and dozens of you won't have to die."

I bet we find out somebody stole Slave I.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

mdemone posted:

I bet we find out somebody stole Slave I.

The real reason Boba wants to be a crimelord: to get enough money to pay off the impound lot fees for Slave I :v:

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Boba Fett spent the majority of his life working for and with a bunch of evil mother-fuckers. Vader. Jabba. Black Krrsantan. The Tuskans are decent people. Harsh people, but decent. He likes it there. It's oddly restful to him. Granted that he hasn't changed that much. When the train comes through and kills some of them, he first kills the poo poo out of the folks with the speeder bikes to enact part of his revenge for them and to get the bikes. Then he teaches the Tuskans how to use them in battle to wreck the train. He isn't trying to usurp the chief. He negotiates with the criminal scum-fucks running the train because he both literally and metaphorically speaks their language.

The point of this is that Boba Fett has been a loner all his life and now he's willingly joined a tribe.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Yo who here can hook me up with some nose lizard :catdrugs:

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Killer episode. I feel like things improved dramatically starting with assassin homie getting shot in the face immediately and without remorse. That’s always been a very important part of Star Wars, small people die on screen a lot. Often in cold and callus ways instead of in the heat of battle.

There were a lot of things about the train that were questionable.

Like Boba Fett just rolling up and stealing the speeder bikes. They had to go way out of the way to show the owners were dirt bags so that the narrative isn’t ‘sand person steals moisture farmer’s mode of transportation.’ Was that the same gang we saw in the first episode? Because if so, my complaint doesn’t stand.

I was really surprised by how many lives the sand people seemed to throw away on the train. And total dick move on the train for shooting at Boba’s Boyz, but sand people have a history of taking shots at vehicles going back to episode one, so I can’t blame the spicers for preemptively protecting themselves.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd say sand people casualties were lighter than they were fighting the Krayt Dragon in Mando. We see at least a few tuskens survive gunshot wounds in the episode as opposed to the ones getting melted by dragon acid.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
That was the exact same crew that raided that moisture farm in the first episode, as far as I can tell. Also like Boba said there are many different Tuscan tribes and not all might shoot at strangers just rolling by and might actually be peaceful. The pikes could have prepared for them to get shot at and shot back if needed but I’m sure that train could take a few bullet/blaster shots from a Tuscan rifle. Pikes were just being dicks from shooting first.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

My first thought with the train was that it was a safari where you get to shoot at the local wildlife, which sometimes shoots back, but 99% of the time they're poo poo shots and the train's armored out the wazoo, so you're safe

Was pleasantly and happily surprised to be proven wrong on that front

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Everyone posted:

Boba Fett spent the majority of his life working for and with a bunch of evil mother-fuckers. Vader. Jabba. Black Krrsantan. The Tuskans are decent people. Harsh people, but decent. He likes it there. It's oddly restful to him. Granted that he hasn't changed that much. When the train comes through and kills some of them, he first kills the poo poo out of the folks with the speeder bikes to enact part of his revenge for them and to get the bikes. Then he teaches the Tuskans how to use them in battle to wreck the train. He isn't trying to usurp the chief. He negotiates with the criminal scum-fucks running the train because he both literally and metaphorically speaks their language.

The point of this is that Boba Fett has been a loner all his life and now he's willingly joined a tribe.

Boba has basically been a blank slate and the show has done nothing to show us any of his motivations or reasoning.

e: harsh, but noble, these savages :v:

Sammus posted:

Killer episode. I feel like things improved dramatically starting with assassin homie getting shot in the face immediately and without remorse. That’s always been a very important part of Star Wars, small people die on screen a lot. Often in cold and callus ways instead of in the heat of battle.

Like Boba Fett just rolling up and stealing the speeder bikes. They had to go way out of the way to show the owners were dirt bags so that the narrative isn’t ‘sand person steals moisture farmer’s mode of transportation.’ Was that the same gang we saw in the first episode? Because if so, my complaint doesn’t stand.

I was really surprised by how many lives the sand people seemed to throw away on the train. And total dick move on the train for shooting at Boba’s Boyz, but sand people have a history of taking shots at vehicles going back to episode one, so I can’t blame the spicers for preemptively protecting themselves.

It was sort of funny to me. Like guys, you know the train passes through here once in a while. Maybe just hide behind the sand dunes. They are literally everywhere. Don't try to shoot back against the train with aimbot snipers on it that are picking you off from 2 miles away while doing 150mph. It will be gone in 10 seconds just chill.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 6, 2022

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Sammus posted:

I thought the implication was that the speeder guys were part of the train crew and Boba took them out as part of his revenge on the fuckers who killed the Tuskans.

As for the lives, how many died when the first train went through? Five to seven, right? And that or something like it happens every time that thing comes. So risking/giving up seven lives to end that threat forever seems a reasonable calculation.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

The keys to Slave 1 were in his armor and Jango never taught him how to Hotwire it.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It was sort of funny to me. Like guys, you know the train passes through here once in a while. Maybe just hide behind the sand dunes. They are literally everywhere. Don't try to shoot back against the train with aimbot snipers on it that are picking you off from 2 miles away while doing 150mph. It will be gone in 10 seconds just chill.

Right? It’s gonna be gone in 30 seconds. Maybe don’t sit on top of the dunes with rifles looking like you wanna ambush the train?

I watched more sand people get shot than we have been introduced to up to that point. And all they had to do was avoid the train.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Sammus posted:

The bikes had the same logo as was painted on the wall in episode 1.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sammus posted:

You can kinda see the show working backwards starting at "ok, we want to do a Great Train Robbery scene, how do we give Fett and his crew vehicles or animals to keep up? Speeders, great. The ones that look like riding a chopper motorcycle? Yeah, perfect. How can they get a bunch of choppers at one time? Biker gang!"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

But they keep shooting the bantha(s) and those are too large and slow to get out of the line of fire. Can't let bantha shooting slide.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

The train was moving so fast that it was next to you almost as soon as you saw it in the distance.

The sandpeople wouldn't always run across the train but if they did it was unavoidable.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Arquinsiel posted:

Or they just don't want anyone to know where their secret illegal spice mine is :shrug:
Kessel. Everyone knows this. C-3PO references it in the original movie. If a square like that knows about it ten everyone does.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Edit: poo poo, wrong thread! Very sorry.

Kurzon fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 6, 2022

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Anita Dickinme posted:

That was the exact same crew that raided that moisture farm in the first episode, as far as I can tell.

The leader bike that boba takes has the glyphs that were graffitied on the moisture farmers hut so it’s pretty clear that he is on the moral high ground.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Looking online, the last episode has action gotten a very positive reception from Polynesians especially. Morrison's input led to the Tuskens being reflective of his own Maori heritage, and the narrative is being interpreted by them as Boba helping indigenous people reclaim their ancestral homeland from colonizers.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jan 6, 2022

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Good to see Uncle Al in the Star Wars universe.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

CornHolio posted:

wait wait wait was that actually Koo Stark???

I thought so and was frantically googling the episode's cast at the time but couldn't confirm it.

edit: nevermind she's 65 ad that girl wasn't 65. Was it supposed to be Camie though, or a throwback?

Naw just memeing sorry

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

Looking online, the last episode has action gotten a very positive reception from Polynesians especially. Morrison's input led to the Tuskens being reflective of his own Maori heritage, and the narrative is being interpreted by them as Boba helping indigenous people reclaim their ancestral homeland from colonizers.

goons wrong again?

no way

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Sammus posted:

And all they had to do was avoid the train.

Yeah I hate to be a nitpicker but this show isn't great and lends itself to this kind of "wtf?" analysis. This was never really explained, leave the train the gently caress alone and go about your business? Then of course during the train heist itself, this train is just booking along, then droid engineer makes it go faster and faster, so this thing is covering a lot of distance by the time it finally crashes, yet then moments later all the sand people are just magically teleported there. Plus Boba doing all this in his dumb white onesie just looks ridiculous.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I think we can just start the countdown clock until we see live-action Aphra, now.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

am0kgonzo posted:

goons wrong again?

no way

Nah can't be. Tuskens aren't real.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
"Why don't they just ignore the train" would mean ceding territory that they claim as their ancestral home. The pykes see the sand people ad savage raiders while the tuskens see them as tresspassers who need to be dealt with. Considering the pykes are paranoid drug smugglers with lots of guns, a conflict seemed inevitable and telling the tuskens to just go somewhere else wouldn't work.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Not that it wasn't horrifying before, but the reframing of the Tuskens really makes Anakin's slaughter that much scarier.

Thus again Filoni and Favreau improving the prequels bit by bit with their new material.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The bikes had the same logo as was painted on the wall in episode 1.

The bikies themselves had a logo on the backs of their vests, but I couldn't make out what it was.

"Tatooine's Angels" in Aurebesh, probably.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Not that it wasn't horrifying before, but the reframing of the Tuskens really makes Anakin's slaughter that much scarier.

Thus again Filoni and Favreau improving the prequels bit by bit with their new material.

That and the way Obi-Wan talks about them when they're originally introduced is a real bad look. A bounty hunter who was captured by them has a better understanding of them in weeks/months than a Jedi after presumably two decades of living in the same area? Makes him look like a racist old man.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

pik_d posted:

That and the way Obi-Wan talks about them when they're originally introduced is a real bad look. A bounty hunter who was captured by them has a better understanding of them in weeks/months than a Jedi after presumably two decades of living in the same area? Makes him look like a racist old man.

Having the Obi-Wan series show his descent into being a bitter old racist hermit would be funny.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I don't think anyone was suggesting they leave the area completely, but there's a difference between hiding when the train comes and actively going to fight it and end up slaughtered by it instead.

The story beats would've been the same if the train had just zipped by and popped a bunch of them while they were running for cover.

But would that be in character for the Tuskens? Aggressive and territorial is their default trait.