Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

skasion posted:

My point is that the joyless search for consistency with Previously Released Star Trek Product (as interpreted by network tv producers rather than by wiki nerds) is part of what made the show poo poo in the first place. It’s not enough to have a show about exploring strange new worlds, it has to have Klingons and Vulcans and deltas on the shirts and Harcourt loving Mudd. Discovery is not the first Trek show to try and pull this self-referential bullshit. It was the original sin of Enterprise that poisoned everything that show did.

It wasn't a search for consistency at all though, it was a search for wanting to do their own thing while at the same time try to cash in on TOS nostalgia. TNG changed the Klingons but they were better so most people didn't give a poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qul9zdLYUr4

The continuity errors here really bother me.

It doesn't make sense.

Poor storytelling!

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

nm i think i got it. ty

That DICK! fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jan 6, 2022

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

socialsecurity posted:

It wasn't a search for consistency at all though, it was a search for wanting to do their own thing while at the same time try to cash in on TOS nostalgia. TNG changed the Klingons but they were better so most people didn't give a poo poo.

In hindsight, I give a lot of credit to the writers of TNG that expanded on the TOS prediction of a Federation/Klingon Alliance while also expanding the Klingon aesthetic and lore. They also managed to do it without making an entire season arc about it, but sprinkled it in with memorable characters and well written, consequence filled episodes.

I blew my mind when I realized that most of the Klingon lore in the TNG era and franchise spanning characters like Gowron and The Duras sisters all have their origin in just 4 episodes with 'Reunion', 'Sins of the Father', and 'Redemption' Part I and II.

And again... the writers didn't have to make it a narrowly focused, season long arc to accomplish that. They were also busy re-introducing the menace of the Romulans, building out the Ferengi, and introducing the Borg while also writing tons of stand alone episodes.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

trek is:

-string quartet
-jamming on the trombone
-catching love disease
-acting in plays
-meeting identical transporter clone

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Crusader posted:

trek is:

-string quartet
-jamming on the trombone
-catching love disease
-acting in plays

All clone musical episode when????

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Pretty sure Lexx did this

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

A Fistful Chorus Line of Datas

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Crusader posted:

trek is:

-string quartet
-jamming on the trombone
-catching love disease
-acting in plays

-catching aging, invisibility, alien mutant, Barclay spider cosplay, Riker clipshow love disease

Penitent fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 6, 2022

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Klingons just changed appearances again. There were a bunch of them in the big meeting room, just they're now phased into a different level of reality like species 8472 so no one noticed.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fVY6wn4Ndo

This guy's vids critiquing Discover got CBS to copyright claim him on youtube.

:banjo:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Penitent posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fVY6wn4Ndo

This guy's vids critiquing Discover got CBS to copyright claim him on youtube.

:banjo:

He seems to be a chud and a TERF and wants to be just like other bigboy chud channels like Nerdrotic, The Critical Drinker and Carl of Swindon, so, yeah bad on CBS but... uh... gently caress this guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfSrl8XYbxg

gently caress him and his 272 subscribers. Funny though that CBS tried to torpedo him and not one of the bigger chud channels who scream about Discovery all the time. You'd have though CBS would have nuked Doomcock, Nerdrotic, and Geeks+Gamers from high orbit by now, right?

Seriously, gently caress this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIJYoFSsvMc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wgn9ksPDY0g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7fDyIe0d0I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T-uNhBVfec

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LzzgNvxD24

Who gives a gently caress what this prick has to say about Star Trek?

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jan 6, 2022

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can
Wow. I'm glad you pointed that out - indeed gently caress that guy very much.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Penitent posted:

Wow. I'm glad you pointed that out - indeed gently caress that guy very much.

Yeah, I was like "something about this dude seems fishy, I dunno", had a quick look through his oeuvre and was like

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Anyway, let's focus on something positive: Discovery is mercifully on hiatus and Prodigy and back for the next few weeks so Star Trek is now temporarily Good again.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

nine-gear crow posted:

Anyway, let's focus on something positive: Discovery is mercifully on hiatus and Prodigy and back for the next few weeks so Star Trek is now temporarily Good again.

Star Trek is temporarily acceptable.

I think that you don't NEED to slavishly adhere to canon but why bother doing a star trek show if you care as little about canon as the discovery writers do?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Taear posted:

I think that you don't NEED to slavishly adhere to canon but why bother doing a star trek show if you care as little about canon as the discovery writers do?

This is where I am. Every Trek series has messed with the canon somewhat and whatever, it's fine. And I totally get the urge to just yeet it entirely, not wanting to be tied to decades of backstory. But if that's how you feel then just... make something new. You can do that. Then there's no canon to deal with at all!

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Besides if you don't like it someone will come along and says it's a different universe, anything with lots content is going to have stinkers, look at all the cringe poo poo in the DC and Marvel universe that almost a century old. Just pick out the good stuff and ignore the rest.

unless your Star Wars, then everything is canon no matter how stupid

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

:yeah:

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
I have... Many questions as to the timeline that Prodigy is giving us.

Also, yes, I'm a cheap rear end mark and I marked out where I needed to.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Problems of adhering to canon/fictional-history only exist because of a lack of imagination and 'small universe' syndrome. There is a point where TNG and DS9 and Voyager are all taking place at pretty much the exact same time in the Star Trek universe. It doesn't matter because the universe is big and their stories don't overlap apart from deliberate moments where information is brought across to further stories.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Alchenar posted:

Problems of adhering to canon/fictional-history only exist because of a lack of imagination and 'small universe' syndrome. There is a point where TNG and DS9 and Voyager are all taking place at pretty much the exact same time in the Star Trek universe. It doesn't matter because the universe is big and their stories don't overlap apart from deliberate moments where information is brought across to further stories

And a big problem with Voyager is they were meant to be lost the other side of the galaxy, but kept on stumbling across familiar stuff. Like it was just the perfect plot for coming up with new and unique stuff, and often they just didn't.

Space is big and in cannon a whole bunch of it still hasn't been explored. Making a star trek show you should have a fair bit of leway on how much stuff you actually want to draw on.

Discovery's weird as it first set it in star trecks pretty well established past, but didn't really do much with that, then jumped into the distant future... and I mean it sort of did stuff with that at least, with looking at how Star fleet could recover from a major disaster. So at least that was sort of using the setting and cannon in the telling of the story. Had plenty of other issues, but at heart it did at least try and say something about the federation and what it means as a governing body vs idea.

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

It's all canon you nerds. Start reconciling it!

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Actual Satan posted:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

"Canon" is only an issue when you insist on doing gigantic universe changing stories, because that's the only way you can see to make drama.

There's no problem with making drama set during WWII that doesn't violate the Canon of the real world.

Pretty much all of the X-Files was able to fit in with plausibly occurring in the background of our reality

The Sixth Sense, Close Encounters, Love Actually, Jurassic Park (well 1 at least), even Toy bloody Story could all conceivably take place in the same universe.

Canon is only restrictive when you're trying to one up it.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

The dubbing on the newest episode is very hit or miss, but for understandable reasons.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

J33uk posted:

I have... Many questions as to the timeline that Prodigy is giving us.

Also, yes, I'm a cheap rear end mark and I marked out where I needed to.

Ship was launched sometime post Voyager and time travel shenanigans sent it to the past. Creators claim the show is set 2383.

Chakotay had white hair streak similar to Timeless set circa 2390
. The timeframe makes sense given all the holo-UI that we see.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Actual Satan posted:

It's canon that Trills can't be transported and look completely different and then that changed completely. They pulled what they found the most interesting out of that concept and threw away the other stuff because who gives a poo poo.

If you're ever, like, really hung up on how to justify something, just remember, "They are Klingons, and we do not talk about it." And that's really all you need.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

They boldy went with this episode of Prodigy, didn't they?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Carbon dioxide posted:

holy poo poo they sure did

If I had gotten a summary of that ep before watching I would have been certain it was going to be terrible, but I liked what they did and how they did it.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

So for 7 years real Janeway had to be content with "generic Irish village" or "generic English manor" but holo-Janeway gets to casually name drop Jane Eyre?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

in some markets in the 90s it was still illegal for a woman to acknowledge being literate so the network had to roll with it

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 6, 2022

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Senor Tron posted:

There's no problem with making drama set during WWII that doesn't violate the Canon of the real world.

And Inglorious Basterds went and made a couple of resounding changes to IRL canon and nobody batted an eye.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Carbon dioxide posted:

It was a lot of fun, though the "assembled from clips" voices were a bit grating.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

It was a lot of fun, though the "assembled from clips" voices were a bit grating.

They were but since it was literally a holodeck doing the same thing I didn't mind it

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I was lukewarm on Prodigy but that was a really strong episode. They made a lot of good references without them being shoehorned in. As soon as I saw the title of the episode I thought "ugh it's gonna be a ham-fisted reference" but it became a central part of the episode for good reason (purple guy trying to prove himself) and approached realistically for the character (him stubbornly trying it again and again, though it was a liiiittle derivative of Boiler's running up the high score on that test in Lower Decks)

My only complaint is that every character in the holodeck has to be a famous trekperson. I thought it was a perfect opportunity to introduce someone completely new (to fans) and pass them off as a well known (in the ST universe), would have been a funny twist and they could have made up anyone at all with no commitment to revisit them

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Why the gently caress would the computer select _Odo_ for bridge crew at all, never mind a 'best of the best' selection? I'm trying to remember if he ever even directly flew even a runabout at all rather than just giving orders to its computer.

Still, good to see the black sheep show getting the same love as the others.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Captain Beltran having a holo Janeway work for him is a little.... Geordy, if you get what I'm saying

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

https://twitter.com/TheTrekCentral/status/1479217239375110147

????????

season...........3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Bloop posted:

Captain Beltran having a holo Janeway work for him is a little.... Geordy, if you get what I'm saying

Probably not quite as creepy as Geordi, because at least Chakotay and Janeway have a long and very platonic professional working relationship, whereas Geordi had never met Leah Brahms before he turned on the hologram and then just immediately popped a boner for her. With Chakotay it's like "oh great, my old boss is here now..."

The show did so well in viewer numbers that CBS gave it a full two season renewal, with an option for more depending on things like Stewart's health and such. They started filming on the third season like two weeks after Season 2 wrapped.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 7, 2022