Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah. Reconstruction fell apart within ten years anyway. We learned a bit (pretty superficial, but a bit) about the civil war in grade school; I don't recall any time being spent on the post-war period, particularly the politics of the time. But whooooo boy did they suck.

I know all about reconstruction but the race to slam a poo poo ton of northern states in there somehow never got the 2+2 treatment from me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Intruder posted:

yeah she eventually becomes trivial

*has not done extreme measures yet

EM is my favorite pact, I think it makes every boss fight more fun (although I have yet to beat EM4). The only one that gets pretty hard is Tisiphone due to lack of space, I lost a death defiance to her last night and was aghast.

It's one of those games where each boss fight is a wall, and as soon as you figure it out it becomes way easier. Weird how that happens but it's true.

Think I'll try EM4 again next playthrough. The bow has always been my favorite weapon, and the Aspect of Chiron does such insane damage in the right build. Just a matter of staying alive long enough.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

shirts and skins posted:

EM is my favorite pact, I think it makes every boss fight more fun (although I have yet to beat EM4). The only one that gets pretty hard is Tisiphone due to lack of space, I lost a death defiance to her last night and was aghast.

It's one of those games where each boss fight is a wall, and as soon as you figure it out it becomes way easier. Weird how that happens but it's true.

Think I'll try EM4 again next playthrough. The bow has always been my favorite weapon, and the Aspect of Chiron does such insane damage in the right build. Just a matter of staying alive long enough.

EM4 is rough, I don't think I've beaten that yet either. might have to give it a shot again soon.

EM3 is loving hilarious.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

GD_American posted:

Reconstruction is one of the most undercovered and untaught periods of US history.

That's not by accident.

I remember learning a small amount about reconstruction, but I swear the only thing I retained from school is what carpet bagger meant.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I didn't learn about reconstruction until college. It's the period where black men had the most rights in this nation that they would have until the late 1960s and maybe even longer. There were more black elected officials in the south immediately following the civil war than there are still today. It was actually a decent time for a lot of people, but it made the nazis uncomfortable so we compromised with them again. It was a massive mistake to not try all of the traitors to this nation as traitors. Instead they got welcomed back with open arms.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I didn't learn about reconstruction until college. It's the period where black men had the most rights in this nation that they would have until the late 1960s and maybe even longer. There were more black elected officials in the south immediately following the civil war than there are still today. It was actually a decent time for a lot of people, but it made the nazis uncomfortable so we compromised with them again. It was a massive mistake to not try all of the traitors to this nation as traitors. Instead they got welcomed back with open arms.

The biggest mistake we've probably made as a nation was not executing all the southern generals. Like random Confederate soldiers I got no beef with, they're mostly conscripted poor farmers, but we should have loving killed all of the Confederate leadership, and actually followed through on the promise of 40 acres and a mule for the freed slaves.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Skwirl posted:

The biggest mistake we've probably made as a nation was not executing all the southern generals. Like random Confederate soldiers I got no beef with, they're mostly conscripted poor farmers, but we should have loving killed all of the Confederate leadership, and actually followed through on the promise of 40 acres and a mule for the freed slaves.

Generals didn't secede. We should have executed every one of the politicians that signed an article of secession. Every single one that participated in and perpetuated the conferderate government. It would have been a lot of people, but it would have prevented a lot of poo poo that we're still dealing with over a century and a half later.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Why stop at generals? What’s the distinguishing line in the sand, exactly?

I agree with you, they were traitors, just asking a few questions that would immediately be asked.

Edit

Mr. Nice! posted:

Generals didn't secede. We should have executed every one of the politicians that signed an article of secession. Every single one that participated in and perpetuated the conferderate government. It would have been a lot of people, but it would have prevented a lot of poo poo that we're still dealing with over a century and a half later.

Now we’re talkin!

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jan 6, 2022

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah, this.

I sometimes wonder about what our country would look like if Lincoln hadn't been assassinated. It was before term limits so he could run for a third term and there's no way he loses and he would have stayed the course in regards to reconstruction.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Amy Pole Her posted:

Why stop at generals? What’s the distinguishing line in the sand, exactly?

I agree with you, they were traitors, just asking a few questions that would immediately be asked.

The generals are at least the ultimate leaders of the military, everyone below them is taking orders. All lines are somewhat arbitrary anyway, so it seems like a good stopping point. Generals were likely part of the aristocracy then too, where lower positions probably weren't.

If the US executed every member of the Davis administration, every member of the confederate congress, and every general, you'd be looking at like 200 people to execute. That seems like a lot.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Bird in a Blender posted:

The generals are at least the ultimate leaders of the military, everyone below them is taking orders. All lines are somewhat arbitrary anyway, so it seems like a good stopping point. Generals were likely part of the aristocracy then too, where lower positions probably weren't.

If the US executed every member of the Davis administration, every member of the confederate congress, and every general, you'd be looking at like 200 people to execute. That seems like a lot.

That’s a good start. Treason still carries the penalty of death. Go take a look at any state’s articles of secession and tell me these are people that were worth keeping around.

If you want to get really depressed, start looking up names of signatories and their lengthy careers in politics after.

They didn’t hang every last one because the nazis in the north knew their own and welcomed them back with open arms.

Reminder than Tucker Carlson got a letter of recommendation for his son to attend Georgetown from Hunter Biden. For a modern example of northern nazis knowing their own, see the current president and his friend mitch mcconnell.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I realize I’m saying some hyperbolic and off the cuff stuff, but I’m not that far off from reality. The landed gentry founded this nation and still run it today. If you’re not a part of that class, you get to suffer and die for their pleasure.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Generals didn't secede.

Uh, weren’t they all (or at least mostly) generals in the US Army prior to secession? They had to choose to switch sides to fight for the confederacy.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

LeeMajors posted:

Uh, weren’t they all (or at least mostly) generals in the US Army prior to secession? They had to choose to switch sides to fight for the confederacy.

I’m not saying that the generals weren’t also traitors. They deserve trial as well. I’m just saying we should have started with the actual secessionists.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I still think it’s wild some states celebrate a combo of Robert E. Lee and MLK Jr day

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/1478982979397455874 big brain Djokovic, glad Australia kicked him out

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

bobjr posted:

I still think it’s wild some states celebrate a combo of Robert E. Lee and MLK Jr day

I grew up with full-tilt confederate apologetics. Did you know his slaves WANTED to stay with him? He was kind. A gentleman farmer. He just felt loyalty to his home state.

Propaganda works. Boy my eyes were opened hard when I grew up.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

opposable thumbs.db posted:

big brain Djokovic, glad Australia kicked him out

Pretty amazing that in the twilight of his career, he'll now be known as a world-class shithead and terrible person, instead of one of the best tennis players of all time.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

is it me or is this date from now on going to be the #resist equivalent of benghazi

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

wandler20 posted:

This is some bullshit.

We started today cold and it just slowly goes down to a low of -20 today. Little early preview of the poo poo that usually makes me hate this place a month from now.

General Dog posted:

I’m up to Hitman 3 now

:hellyeah:

It definitely tries some new things the others don't, for better or worse. IOI has said there will be announcements for ongoing support this month, which I'm hoping means at least one more map.

Also the first time you play some of the missions you will be on rails for part of it due to story stuff, but that's a first time through thing. Also also this is reminding me I never got through all of the Hitman 3 levels doing SASO runs..

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Yesterday I read the transcript of this exchange and laughed my rear end off. The recording is even better.

https://twitter.com/MannFacts/status/1478835935567618048

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Vertical Lime posted:

is it me or is this date from now on going to be the #resist equivalent of benghazi

I think some Dems want it to be, but it won’t catch on because they don’t have the built in single issue audience.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Spoeank posted:

I'd say the south thoroughly lost that particular balancing act since the Dakotas were states 3 and 4 of nine-straight northern states lol. I'd never thought about the choice to absolutely rinse the southerners with northern states

Well, all's well that ends well.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

bobjr posted:

I think some Dems want it to be, but it won’t catch on because they don’t have the built in single issue audience.

I also don’t think they’ve got the fortitude to actually vilify their opponents the way Republicans do, they’re too busy being reasonable adults in search of compromise to make more than the most mild philosophical and abstract critique

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Funny how much people who typically don't hump the flag really hump the flag when it comes to punishing those Traitorous Southerners post Civil War. Guess the opposite is true as well, tho.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

France is the only only country that has the fortitude to deal with traitors. They did have a lot of practice over the last 200 or so years tho.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Yes people think that those who went to literal war to protect the institution of slavery should have been actually punished

The civil war should have at least killed the idea of the nobility of states rights but nope

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

500,000 people died in the civil war, it's still the highest loss of American lives in a single war. 200 executions doesn't seem that big.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

General Dog posted:

Funny how much people who typically don't hump the flag really hump the flag when it comes to punishing those Traitorous Southerners post Civil War. Guess the opposite is true as well, tho.

Who is humping the flag? Secessionists caused a war in defense of slavery resulting in 600-750k deaths (not to mention collateral civilian and slave deaths) and were literally allowed to reassimilate and successfully wage a revisionist rehab campaign that resulted directly in Jim Crow, rampant domestic terrorism and arguably 150+ years of regressive policies in the US.

My position is that they should’ve faced serious consequences for such recklessness instead, but maybe I’m old fashioned.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I hump every flag I see.
From Paraguay to Paraguzee.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Speaking of treason, Happy Capitol Insurgency Day :toot:

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

I realize I’m saying some hyperbolic and off the cuff stuff, but I’m not that far off from reality. The landed gentry founded this nation and still run it today. If you’re not a part of that class, you get to suffer and die for their pleasure.

I started listening to Eat The Rich in about mid-2020 and the same names always come up in seemingly unrelated corporations. It's fascinating.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

LeeMajors posted:

Who is humping the flag? Secessionists caused a war in defense of slavery resulting in 600-750k deaths (not to mention collateral civilian and slave deaths) and were literally allowed to reassimilate and successfully wage a revisionist rehab campaign that resulted directly in Jim Crow, rampant domestic terrorism and arguably 150+ years of regressive policies in the US.

My position is that they should’ve faced serious consequences for such recklessness instead, but maybe I’m old fashioned.

i think, in the modern sense, if you spend your whole career humping the flag, only to cast it aside because you hoped that treasonous coup would work in your favor, then you get the guillotine in the public square.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

JPrime posted:

i think, in the modern sense, if you spend your whole career humping the flag, only to cast it aside because you hoped that treasonous coup would work in your favor, then you get the guillotine in the public square.

No doubt. It's also why we already have established precedent of handling The Right Insurrectionists (re white, conservative) with kid gloves, and why 1/6 folks will never face any real consequences.

No wonder we have a rightward ratcheting effect here.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I hump every flag I see.
From Paraguay to Paraguzee.

I love this.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Covid negative yaaay

Keep dodging keep dodging keep dodging

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Lmao I’ve lost over 25 pounds in the last year.

Lit

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/jtoonkel/status/1479109466851184643?t=nS6qn364z1ywKbPlo1Zv4g&s=19

Seems ominous...

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i have been thinking that the athletic is past it's prime or the general sell-by date for that type of journalism (any lol). and the NYT purchase, even when it was rumored months ago was just a rubber stamp on that. maybe some of that is being bitter that they bought up all the arizona writers, hung on to them for a year, and then let them all into the wind to go to baltimore or wherever, leaving a worse place to read about sports in.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I’m down 6! But that’s over the last month, out of probably 15 or 20 up from the last year lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

FizFashizzle posted:

Lmao I’ve lost over 25 pounds in the last year.

Lit

Don’t worry, I found them.