Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Yak of Wrath posted:

I still find it a bit incongruous that Boba takes a dim view to slavery, spice and all that given who he was working as an enforcer for a month(?) or so ago. He just got paid for bringing in a smuggler who dipped with some spice, and maybe a bonus for hooking Jabba up with a new slave girl.

Is it that hard to believe a bounty hunter would put aside their personal morals for cash?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
They mention in the episode that this particular tribe preferred to hide rather than raiding so it may be the case of other tribes going shoot on sight on anyone other than themselves

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Having the Obi-Wan series show his descent into being a bitter old racist hermit would be funny.

He was always racist. Look at how he treats droids in the prequels.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

pik_d posted:

That and the way Obi-Wan talks about them when they're originally introduced is a real bad look. A bounty hunter who was captured by them has a better understanding of them in weeks/months than a Jedi after presumably two decades of living in the same area? Makes him look like a racist old man.

Can you remind us what he said about them that's so bad? All I remember him saying is that travelling through their lands is not to be taken lightly, they ride single file, and that they can be spooked but will return with reinforcements. Nothing like they're all mindless savages who deserve to be put to the lightsabre or anything similar.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Sentinel Red posted:

Can you remind us what he said about them that's so bad? All I remember him saying is that travelling through their lands is not to be taken lightly, they ride single file, and that they can be spooked but will return with reinforcements. Nothing like they're all mindless savages who deserve to be put to the lightsabre or anything similar.

The one thing that came to mind watching this episode was Obi-Wan saying the blaster fire was too accurate for sand people, as if they're incapable of doing something as well as a stormtrooper (lol). Maybe Boba's friends are just better shots because they absolutely nailed some of their shots.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Rewatching Clone Wars Obi-Wan was always a weirdly racist, often callous and arrogant dude, very much modelled on that old-timey colonial serial explorer like Allan Quatermain and such. There are some episodes with the Geonosians that just make him come off as incredibly repugnant. It's something I hope they tap into in the new show.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 6, 2022

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Arquinsiel posted:

Or they just don't want anyone to know where their secret illegal spice mine is :shrug:

“Illegal”

“Tattooine”

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

pik_d posted:

That and the way Obi-Wan talks about them when they're originally introduced is a real bad look. A bounty hunter who was captured by them has a better understanding of them in weeks/months than a Jedi after presumably two decades of living in the same area? Makes him look like a racist old man.

The Jedi always suffer from overinflated self-importance and are resistant to learning new modes of being.

To me that totally scans.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

pik_d posted:

The one thing that came to mind watching this episode was Obi-Wan saying the blaster fire was too accurate for sand people, as if they're incapable of doing something as well as a stormtrooper (lol). Maybe Boba's friends are just better shots because they absolutely nailed some of their shots.

Oh yeah, that's especially hilarious considering how legendarily poo poo Stormtroopers are. I just wondered if there was anything else particularly awful I was forgetting. His initial reactions to Jar-Jar and Anakin certainly suggest an air of smug superiority for sure.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
he's a white british noble, of course he's racist

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Also calling them "sand people" feels racist as hell even though I don't get the feeling that it's treated that way in universe.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

pik_d posted:

Also calling them "sand people" feels racist as hell even though I don't get the feeling that it's treated that way in universe.

Lot of those Mos Eisley types probably never go outside the walls. They probably don't even know about the different tribes or any of the politics on the dune sea

Like "sand people" is literally the extent of their knowledge of the Tuskens.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Maybe obi was doing a Keyser Yoda thing for luke too

“Oh hey I’m a doddering old racist guy on this lovely planet” before showing wisdom

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

pik_d posted:

Tuskens isn't great either because its "Tusken Raider" because of Fort Tusken.

Sadly we don't have a better name for them.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

pik_d posted:

Inspired by this conversation I just had a look through all the scenes in ANH where Obi-Wan refers to the Tuskens in order to see what he says about them.

- Easily startled, will be back in greater numbers - yeah, OK, plus scaring them off with whatever that yell is supposed to be nowadays could be interpreted as slightly hostile and maybe a little racist.
- Always ride single file to hide their numbers - no, that's pretty much true
- Are worse shots than stormtroopers - OK, that's pretty much hate speech right there.

Seriously though, I don't see anything here that might present an insurmountable obstacle in a future Obi-Wan series. Just let a few Tuskens catch a glance of him with his lightsaber on. Word gets around the Jundland Wastes tribes that there is a man with a glowing weapon, just like that guy who single-handedly killed all those folks a few years back. Bang, you get instant hostility, so any attempts Obi-Wan makes to win their friendship fail immediately. But you also get a decent amount of fear, so they probably won't attack him outright and prefer to stay out of his way.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Did the EU ever come up with a name they give to themselves?
Because I can totally see them calling themselves "people of the sand", i.e. sandpeople, and being OK with it. They'd probably find "Tusken Raiders" more offensive. Unless to them, the attack on Fort Tusken was a great heroic deed, so that might turn it around the other way again.

Dave Syndrome fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 6, 2022

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

The noise he makes to scare them away is supposed to have been a Krayt dragon call.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

mdemone posted:

The noise he makes to scare them away is supposed to have been a Krayt dragon call.

That's just downright rude

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Sammus posted:

Like Boba Fett just rolling up and stealing the speeder bikes. They had to go way out of the way to show the owners were dirt bags so that the narrative isn’t ‘sand person steals moisture farmer’s mode of transportation.’ Was that the same gang we saw in the first episode? Because if so, my complaint doesn’t stand.

It was the same biker gang (they even had vests with their MC's colors on it)- the graffiti they tagged on that moisture farmer's home was also on on of the bikes in a scene.

E:f;b but also when it comes to the discussion of the train coming through their land to 'just avoid it' there is history of colonizers just shooting natives and livestock from trains for amusement, and I wouldn't put that past a bunch of drug cartel thugs on a planet where the natives are considered 'disgusting' and 'savage'. It pretty much tracks.

I mean, the only decent part of calling them Sand People is that at the very, very bare minimum they are actually acknowledged as people at all.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 6, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

mdemone posted:

No he stepped on a lego that's why he was hobbling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTZyLiIaZY4

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

mdemone posted:

Yeah, I know, but it's gone through so many permutations by now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O-Fdf2-8Z4

Still, it was cool that they put in some sounds that resembled the original call in The Mandalorian:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDXFYtGgHFM

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Neither does the Disney+ captioners.

I'm sure that's what's in the script and their in-universe name.

And while I agree Obi-Wan never said anything specifically bad about the Tusken Raiders, what Hakkesshu said about him in general tracks, starting all the way back to his lament to Qui-Gon "Why do I sense we've picked up yet another pathetic life form?"

I'd like to think his years in isolation after the harrowing defeat of the Jedi and Republic would push him to evolve, so I'm up for seeing examples of that in his series.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

In Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back Stormtroopers are (mostly) feared and competent fighters. It's only after they get beat up by teddy bears that Stormtroopers get a bad rep.

When Obi says these blasts points are too accurate for Sand People he's telling you that Stormtroopers are noticeably better but also that Stormtroopers know where to hit a machine to stop it.

Darth Brooks fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 6, 2022

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
stormtroopers aren't feared because they are competent or accurate shooters (they are very clearly shown all the time not to be either), it's that they come in overwhelming numbers and backed by imperial armor divisions/vader

site fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 6, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Stormtroopers can't hit a static can from ten feet away.

Sandpeople can snipe a podracer engine going 650km/hour

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Dave Syndrome posted:

Did the EU ever come up with a name they give to themselves?
Because I can totally see them calling themselves "people of the sand", i.e. sandpeople, and being OK with it. They'd probably find "Tusken Raiders" more offensive. Unless to them, the attack on Fort Tusken was a great heroic deed, so that might turn it around the other way again.

Pre-settler Tuskens called themselves Ghorfas, but there hasn't really been anything to establish whether they still call themselves that in the "modern" era, or what that word might translate to.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

So weren’t tusken rifles supposedly cycler rifles and not proper blasters in lore

I forget what they used in the podrace sniping scene

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Their guns are usually described as slugthrowers, but the ones at the podrace do seem to fire little blaster bolts. Could be that they just use tracer rounds.

They certainly don't sound like blasters in Episode I anyway.

Robot Style fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 6, 2022

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Dave Syndrome posted:

Sorry about the low quality. The credits list both Camie and Fixer.

Holy crap, former MMA fighter Frank Trigg is one of the Pig Guards?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Dave Syndrome posted:

Yeah, I know, but it's gone through so many permutations by now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O-Fdf2-8Z4

What the gently caress, are are any of the later ones supposed to be 'better?' They sound like poo poo.

The original was fine.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I think the DVD version was updated to make it sound like the lizard he rode in Episode 3, and the Blu Ray version was done to make it sound more like a human voice.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Here's the back of the jacket:

Translated it just says Tatooine.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

the gammoran guards are MVP cuz they ride or die

they loyal

and they are clearly going to get iced like red shirts and they deserve better

at least give them some armor :mad:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

Here's the back of the jacket:

Translated it just says Tatooine.

what race are they? I wanna call them tunnel snakes cuz TUNNEL SNAKES RUUUULLLLEEEE

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

what race are they?

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Kajain%27sa%27Nikto/Legends

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Tbf Stormtroopers do a lot better when not fighting protagonists and cute mascot characters. They lose, what, merely 3 troopers seizing the Tantive IV? Despite having to advance up a narrow killing zone they quickly overwhelm the ship’s security team.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

fartknocker posted:

Give me the train on Ord Mantell from the Shadows of the Empire game next.

Lobok posted:

Star Wars fans literally only want one thing and it's loving disgusting.

There are train levels in Jedi Academy and Fallen Order, and Clone Wars series too :haw: Which makes sense, since Star Wars (and especially Mando and Boba) has a lot of space western elements, so stuff like the sandpiercer heist fits pretty naturally.

Everyone posted:

The point of this is that Boba Fett has been a loner all his life and now he's willingly joined a tribe.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Boba has basically been a blank slate and the show has done nothing to show us any of his motivations or reasoning.

Eh not necessarily. Clone Wars had BabyBoba both with motivations (even if "hates Jedi" isn't very novel) and as part of a tribe (Aurra Sing and Bossk's crew). But your point is still valid-- so much time has passed between prequel Boba and ESB-onward Boba that they might as well be different characters.

Madurai posted:

I think we can just start the countdown clock until we see live-action Aphra, now.

I haven't started any of the Aphra series. Why is this? Is she based on Tatooine or something?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Hazo posted:

I haven't started any of the Aphra series. Why is this? Is she based on Tatooine or something?

She and Black (forgothisname) Wookie have teamed up - I'm pretty certain he showed up the first time in some of her stories.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I thought I was cool with my Clone Wars and Rebels stuff.... ive never read the comics now im NOT COOL

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I'm pretty cold on 99% of the comics, but Dr. Aphra is really a great campy Star Wars character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

lol remember when captain phasma was the elite cream of the crop stormtrooper and then she got thrown down a trash chute and then thrown down an even bigger chasm