Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

The Merkinman posted:

Why are so many on sale?

Hey shut-in nerds! Stay home and play these games instead of doing something in D.C. ...

this 100%. lets pray it works this time. thank you miyamoto san

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I don't want to outright say that the Capitol Riots wouldn't have happened if everyone there had a Nintendo Switch, but...

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Oh wow, Starlink is 12 bucks. Is that any good? I've heard it's grindy but is the gameplay enjoyable? I don't mind grinding if it's in a fun spaceship game that feels like star fox

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Polo-Rican posted:

Oh wow, Starlink is 12 bucks. Is that any good? I've heard it's grindy but is the gameplay enjoyable? I don't mind grinding if it's in a fun spaceship game that feels like star fox

It's a weird grab bag.

It's very grindy, and a lot of fights are just circle strafing, but once in a while you'll actually get to a Starfox fight and have a brief bit of fun.

I don't have the attention span or time for it, but if you don't mind warcraft grinding you'd probably love it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Mega64 posted:

I don't want to outright say that the Capitol Riots wouldn't have happened if everyone there had a Nintendo Switch, but...

I'm convinced the rerelease of AW2 for switch was slow rolled so we wouldn't have an army of chuds with battle tactics engrained in their thumbs.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Starlink is pretty chill. Lots to explore, scan, and collect. I think of it similar to No Man's Sky. When I get tired of one place, I go fight space pirates and find a new planet to check out. I don't remember anything about the characters, I only play as Fox. The grind is real, but there's lots to do.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
How is the Shiren game?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Huxley posted:

How is the Shiren game?

It's probably the best traditional roguelike on switch. Rock solid mechanics, tons of content, and it has the really fun rescue system.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Dead Cells is on sale for half price, and the new DLC just came out. There's an updated bundle for new players on sale with everything, too. The game keeps getting bigger and better!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Polo-Rican posted:

It's a really good zone-out game but it didn't hold my attention for long, even when high.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Waffle! posted:

Dead Cells is on sale for half price, and the new DLC just came out. There's an updated bundle for new players on sale with everything, too. The game keeps getting bigger and better!

I wish I could get into Dead Cells. On paper, it seems like it'd be right up my alley, but I've tried three times (at least two hours each time) and the combat/exploration never really clicked. I feel like there's this weird tug-of-war between going fast and exploring thoroughly and I'm never sure which I need to do. Also, the levels felt too long and dying to the level boss and losing all cells/blueprints feels so bad.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

If you want a coop game just get It Takes Two on another system. You don’t have to force it and get coop games on the switch when the coop game of the decade is out now elsewhere. I’m sure ea is working on a 360p version for switch but nothing is announced yet

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Harriet Carker posted:

I wish I could get into Dead Cells. On paper, it seems like it'd be right up my alley, but I've tried three times (at least two hours each time) and the combat/exploration never really clicked. I feel like there's this weird tug-of-war between going fast and exploring thoroughly and I'm never sure which I need to do. Also, the levels felt too long and dying to the level boss and losing all cells/blueprints feels so bad.

The game is set up to reward either speed or careful combat.
You can sprint through much of the game, avoiding all enemies aside from bosses and snag the tasty timed doors in the areas between levels.

Or you can go slower and hit a certain killstreak without getting hit for the same rewards but a different approach.

You're supposed to do one of them but masters will do both.

Also, some runs are just for collecting cells for upgrades. You can farm the first two levels pretty reliably in just a couple minutes once you have the rhythm down.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Oh nice, CrossCode (and the DLC) is on sale as well: https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/crosscode-switch/

I heard the DLC adds nearly 10 hours of content. Excited to check that out as the main game was super charming.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Shammypants posted:

If you want a coop game just get It Takes Two on another system. You don’t have to force it and get coop games on the switch when the coop game of the decade is out now elsewhere. I’m sure ea is working on a 360p version for switch but nothing is announced yet

If you do this, make sure the more experience player plays as the mom, one of you will have a bad time the other way as it's designed for the beginner to play the dad who has more straightforward mechanics.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Polo-Rican posted:

Oh wow, Starlink is 12 bucks. Is that any good?

It was my Netflix second screen game for a while and perfect for that. The story mode has a decent progression and it's satisfying to check off all the boxes on each planet. Great pick up and put down game.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

bushisms.txt posted:

If you do this, make sure the more experience player plays as the mom, one of you will have a bad time the other way as it's designed for the beginner to play the dad who has more straightforward mechanics.

I know nothing about this game but I'm already writing furious hot takes on my MRA focused substack

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

*eyes glaze over, falls motionless to floor*

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

bushisms.txt posted:

I disagree - my wife and I played and I took Cody. I felt overall Cody had more complex mechanics and more gameplay that involved precision aiming.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Huxley posted:

How is the Shiren game?

it's extremely good, and the multiplayer elements are still going strong. the monthly leaderboard function is great, and not dominated by ace players. i love crunchy roguelikes and it's one of the most refined and unique among them. the graphics look far better in motion than screenshots would lead you to believe. it's on my list in the GOTY thread :science:

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 6, 2022

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

forest spirit posted:

I'm getting extremely frustrated with my OLED switch... it's connected to the TV, and I've tried different HDMI cables and different inputs on my TV (2020 Sony x900h) and it WON'T consistently appear when turning the switch on.

I've tried the "power match" setting on the switch off and on. Right now it's a 2/10 chance that if you use the controller to wake the switch (and TV) that the switch will appear on the screen.

I have to turn the TV on with it because even with the switch on, in the dock, if I switch to its input, I still get nothing.

I'm going crazy here and it's actually incredibly frustrating. Am I an idiot? I hope I am. I am using the OLED dock that came with it and this is my first switch. I've checked all of my TV's video and power settings for something and nothing has had an effect.

Anyone else have this happen?

Plug the Switch into your soundbar if you have one, put the soundbar into any primary CEC/ARC port if indicated.

Bonus: It'll sound a little nicer as a result since a lot of TVs won't send the right audio through due to standards bullshit.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Everyone play Pikuniku. Right now. It's on sale for 3 bucks, there is no excuse.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I finally ran out of storage space on my Switch, so now I have to actually play some of these games rather than just buying them.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Read After Burning posted:

I finally ran out of storage space on my Switch, so now I have to actually play some of these games rather than just buying them.

Sounds like you need a 2tb card now.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Read After Burning posted:

Play... games?

No, this thread is for cheap collectors only.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

MachuPikacchu posted:

Everyone play Pikuniku. Right now. It's on sale for 3 bucks, there is no excuse.

my excuse is i don't want to open the store and search for that plus what if someone tries to ransom my loved ones later and im $3 short.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

b_d posted:

my excuse is i don't want to open the store and search for that plus what if someone tries to ransom my loved ones later and im $3 short.

My excuse is only buying games I want to play.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Harriet Carker posted:

I disagree - my wife and I played and I took Cody. I felt overall Cody had more complex mechanics and more gameplay that involved precision aiming.
Agree to disagree, at least in the beginning, because i distinctly remember only the mom needing to do precision aiming in spots, especially the flying enemies. Maybe your wife is used to that, or they reach equity by the end we're not finished yet, but my wife isn't really good at 3d games so it was noticable how different they controlled mechanicallly.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 7, 2022

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

The Merkinman posted:

Why are so many on sale?

Hey shut-in nerds! Stay home and play these games instead of doing something in D.C. ...

Considering the snow we just got and the promise of more I'm happy to stay out of the city.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Plus once you've seen the museums and monuments a few dozen times the city is kind of boring.

It is cool that the Smithsonian is largely free though. I was in my 20's before I learned most museums charged admission.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

b_d posted:

i'll chip in, please don't worry

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

endlessmonotony posted:

My excuse is only buying games I want to play.

Gross.

I keep buying games and then sinking another 100 hours in to Warframe.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
My wife and I are looking for a puzzle kinda game for me to play and her to watch. She likes Picross, point and click adventures, and watching Resident Evil games.

We’ve played and enjoyed Luigi’s Mansion, Captain Toad, and Pushmo.

Any suggestions?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Obra Dinn can be fun as a semi co-op deduction game.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Have you checked out Ace Attorney or even Broken Sword 5? The latter is an old style point & click like Sierra and LucasArts used to put out in the 90's and is pretty fun.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Maybe boxboy

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Welp. Last night just before going to bed I dropped cash on the Valkyria Chronicles + Valkyria Chronicles 4 bundle because the sale was ending in 3 hours and I really wanted to play 4 after loving the first one when I played it on PC years ago.

And of course this morning VC4 with all the DLC went on sale instead.

Fortunately after being escalated to the phone line I asked real nicely and when they saw that I literally bought the game hours ago, they agreed that it kinda sucked and said they'd refund me so I could buy what I really wanted.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

My wife and I are looking for a puzzle kinda game for me to play and her to watch. She likes Picross, point and click adventures, and watching Resident Evil games.

We’ve played and enjoyed Luigi’s Mansion, Captain Toad, and Pushmo.

Any suggestions?

part-time ufo!

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

EvilJoven posted:

Welp. Last night just before going to bed I dropped cash on the Valkyria Chronicles + Valkyria Chronicles 4 bundle because the sale was ending in 3 hours and I really wanted to play 4 after loving the first one when I played it on PC years ago.

And of course this morning VC4 with all the DLC went on sale instead.

Fortunately after being escalated to the phone line I asked real nicely and when they saw that I literally bought the game hours ago, they agreed that it kinda sucked and said they'd refund me so I could buy what I really wanted.

Holy poo poo thanks for this. Buying VC4 now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

What is the best RPG on switch for someone with a minimal anime tolerance