Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

The Nastier Nate posted:

was she texting you for informational purposes or did she expect you to solve the problem

I'll find out when I get home and see poop hammer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
any tips for getting babby to sleep in crib. she obviously prefers settling in our arms so we're just trading off shifts holding her all day and night and it's really hard to pinpoint when she's drowsy but not asleep to go down in her crib. there's so many variables with room temperature being right (check), dark, quiet room (check) swaddling/sleep sack (check although doesn't seem to like her arms being restricted), having a wind-down routine (check). sleep deprivation is getting to the point where we don't have the energy to try but obviously need to

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

We went through something similar with our daughter for about four weeks when she was ~4 months old. Eventually we broke down and did cry it out with going in to check for a minute in increasing intervals, something like that. It was a very rough.... night. She's slept like a champ since then for four years!

My 2.5 yo never took to that and still regularly gets up 2+ times a night to drag one of us back to his room, so no advice works for every kid.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
one thing I learned is that whatever you do to soothe them in the crib will carry over into later bedtime routines.

like with my older son I would wait for him to get drowsy on my chest and then I'd lay him down and pat his back slowly while gradually removing pressure and frequency.

now he's almost 8 and at bedtime he says "can you pat my back?"

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

one thing I learned is that whatever you do to soothe them in the crib will carry over into later bedtime routines.

like with my older son I would wait for him to get drowsy on my chest and then I'd lay him down and pat his back slowly while gradually removing pressure and frequency.

holy poo poo, this. i ended the crib era with an entire book of nursery rhymes memorized in the order of the book and they still ask for poo poo like "sing Ride a Cock Horse all the way to Wee Willy Winkey"

this year they discovered Auld Lang Syne and man, with a lyric like "we'll tak a right gude-willy waught" they are going to demand that stays in rotation until they get drivers licenses

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
This is all good to hear now while my little one is still 2. We started off trying cry it out when she had a sleep regression around 8 months or so (she started sleeping mostly through the night around 6mo), and she's independent enough and it worked well enough that we just used that as our baseline strategy--if she woke up in the middle of the night we'd give her 5-10 minutes to cry it out, and only go in if she didn't show signs of slowing down. Midnight "I woke up but nothing's wrong" cries eventually went away and now when she wakes up she'll just go turn on her room light and read ("read") quietly to herself or practice her alphabet/counting/colors or play with one of her musical toys until she's tired again, then she tucks herself back in. There was a month or so where she'd turn her lights back off before going to sleep too but she stopped doing that after a while lol

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

fosborb posted:

holy poo poo, this. i ended the crib era with an entire book of nursery rhymes memorized in the order of the book and they still ask for poo poo like "sing Ride a Cock Horse all the way to Wee Willy Winkey"

this year they discovered Auld Lang Syne and man, with a lyric like "we'll tak a right gude-willy waught" they are going to demand that stays in rotation until they get drivers licenses

My kids always wanted to hear like a few staples (twinkle twinkle, etc) and then some weird poo poo like Allstar or Bumble Bee Tune because I sang them once.

Mine eventually wanted us to stop singing around 4~ and transitioned to some set time\number of books. Oldest stopped that and started reading himself to sleep around 7.

The youngest demands I fight him every night though for like 2 years now. Just rough housing and him jumping on my back. Calls it "fight time"

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Vishass posted:

The youngest demands I fight him every night though for like 2 years now. Just rough housing and him jumping on my back. Calls it "fight time"

lmao amazing

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Dreylad posted:

any tips for getting babby to sleep in crib. she obviously prefers settling in our arms so we're just trading off shifts holding her all day and night and it's really hard to pinpoint when she's drowsy but not asleep to go down in her crib. there's so many variables with room temperature being right (check), dark, quiet room (check) swaddling/sleep sack (check although doesn't seem to like her arms being restricted), having a wind-down routine (check). sleep deprivation is getting to the point where we don't have the energy to try but obviously need to

We never owned a crib or had a baby's bedroom. Just co slept with both of our kids until they were big enough to be obnoxious and then we evicted them. If we had another kid (nope) we'd do the same thing. Mamma and daddy get plenty of sleep and id rather just have a baby in the bed. Also, we were really poor and while buying a crib would have maybe been possible space and possessions were in short supply.

Everyone has their reasons for doing whatever they do, but don't be afraid to be flexible and letting some of your variables slide. At the end of the day every parent in your lineage going back to the first homo sapiens has raised a kid successfully so do what works for you and don't forget the odds are on your side.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Vishass posted:

My kids always wanted to hear like a few staples (twinkle twinkle, etc) and then some weird poo poo like Allstar or Bumble Bee Tune because I sang them once.

They always hang on to the weird ones as well.

I was cutting up some limes a little while back. My 3yo asked me what I was doing, so I told her I was chopping limes.

She then advised me that I'd have to put them in the coconut and drink them both up.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Vishass posted:

Fighting your children is critical for good development. My son is a bit of a pacifist (thank heavens bc I have about 5 years before he will be able to kick my rear end) but my daughter looooves fighting. To the point where we she will make me participate in her choreographed elaborate fight scenes.

Anyhow it's good for kids to know "guard your face and don't look away from your opponent and keep your feet in the right place"

Their elementary school actually did a martial arts program for gym one year and showed the kids how to get away when an adult is grabbing their arm and other escape moves. Was surprisingly effective.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Vishass posted:

I sing bastardized song lyrics for just about everything my kids do. my older son never liked it. my younger one sings along now. my dad used to do it with me.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
"dad: it's fight time" are words I need to hear

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I sing bastardized song lyrics for just about everything my kids do. my older son never liked it. my younger one sings along now. my dad used to do it with me.

yeah Ride A Cock Horse To Banbury Cross has had a substitution by request for at least 2 years now for what specifically they are riding to banbury cross. Cock Lightbulb was the first. the youngest requested tonight, with obvious New Years inspiration, Ride a Cock Ball Drop

im pretty sure everyones in on the joke at this point except me

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Mustached Demon posted:

Wife texts me while I'm at work:

"He used his hammer to smash his poop into his baby shark cup"

:ohno:
hahahah what the gently caress

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

yeah this completely except can you pat my back is "can you scratch my back"

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Welp, we've postponed enrolling our kid in in-person school because of, well, everything.

We told him that he'd continue doing remote learning and explained why and he said "Okay that's fine."

Maybe he's lying but I dunno. He seems to like playing video games at home???

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Welp, we've postponed enrolling our kid in in-person school because of, well, everything.

We told him that he'd continue doing remote learning and explained why and he said "Okay that's fine."

Maybe he's lying but I dunno. He seems to like playing video games at home???

We thought we got a reprieve when the mask repeal was cancelled by the apocalypse, but now I might have to go virtual sooner than we had planned. My daughter cries on Fridays because she misses school, please lend me your strength.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

me: "hey did you [mundane simple task I asked him to do ten minutes ago]?"

him, 7: "I don't remember."

me: "hey, can I try this battle?"

him, still 7: "no the last time we played this game six weeks ago you lost to Mega Man because you couldn't figure out this specific mechanic on the board."

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

me: "hey did you [mundane simple task I asked him to do ten minutes ago]?"

him, 7: "I don't remember."

me: "hey, can I try this battle?"

him, still 7: "no the last time we played this game six weeks ago you lost to Mega Man because you couldn't figure out this specific mechanic on the board."

My daughter was explaining Pokemon mechanics to me, we only play once every few months. But we dont remember if we brushed our teeth.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

"I don't remember" is code for "I don't want to answer on the grounds that you won't like the answer". Or possibly that they don't want to talk about it, like when I ask what my 4 year old did in daycare.

In other news, we sent him to daycare this week after keeping him home since the middle of December, and he's clearly way happier than when he was at home. Other kids and skilled pedagogical staff is great, highly recommended. Now we just hope the pandemic goes down again.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Snow day tomorrow, hell yeah, just a day full of chasing her around the house like a big ol monster and making her giggle her little rear end off

Did I mention this little stinker is just straight up running now, just weeks out from 12 months

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
My kindergartners first virtual teacher lesson was too go outside, but it was cold and hurt her hand, so I can't get her to look at any more of the lessons. :sigh:

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Good soup! posted:

Snow day tomorrow, hell yeah, just a day full of chasing her around the house like a big ol monster and making her giggle her little rear end off

Did I mention this little stinker is just straight up running now, just weeks out from 12 months

hope you got all the baby proofing up! if you can I’d recommend anchoring furniture.

my kid is 5 and I still have the gas range knob covers on lol.

since it’s now like 10f and our floor is freezing my kid is tall enough now to change the nest thermostat to 90F. I had to put a dang lock on it so she can only make it 68-72.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

my kid was supposed to enroll in an in person school so I think when we came back to the virtual program we were still enrolled in the teacher had basically written us off.

like she made reading small groups and he wasn't in any of them so we had to email her to be like "we're still here..."

lately I make him read BOTW dialog and that works p well. I'm a terrible parent.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
My daughter is watching a YouTube video for school and clicking through commercials, this is such dystopian poo poo.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

wait till you see another kid on camera who is visibly sick and crying and her mom can't help her because she's "asleep" and all the teacher can do is try to calm her down.

this isn't hypothetical I witnessed it with my own eyes yesterday morning.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

wait till you see another kid on camera who is visibly sick and crying and her mom can't help her because she's "asleep" and all the teacher can do is try to calm her down.

this isn't hypothetical I witnessed it with my own eyes yesterday morning.

Wait, what was going on? Was she pretending to sleep or dead or on too many drugs or what?

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
Sleeping off a night shift?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

i mean you can only infer from what the kid tells you on the zoom call but my conclusion is that her whole family is sick and her mom is asleep in her bed because that's what you do when you're sick.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

went to check out a new nursery today, first sight after walking in the front door was an unattended toddler with a bleeding head injury.

the search continues!

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Uh maybe report that

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

it could've been ketchup

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

just walked in on my two boys laying on the floor one on top of the other, face to face, chanting the same non-stop tonal hum into a crescendo as they both found the same pitch.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

sonatinas posted:

hope you got all the baby proofing up! if you can I’d recommend anchoring furniture.

especially cabinets and dressers. they’ll open drawers and try to climb up then. I’d recommend heavy duty anchors. Home Depot will sell screw in hard plastic wall anchors rated to 65 pounds. similar vinyl ones at like a ace ones are good for 35. the vinyl ones occasional breaking during install.

we still have basically everything secured that way even curtains.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

just walked in on my two boys laying on the floor one on top of the other, face to face, chanting the same non-stop tonal hum into a crescendo as they both found the same pitch.

hahaha this owns, kids are so fucken weird

while cleaning up the 10yo’s room to re-arrange furniture for his axolotl (a friend two towns away hatched out babies a couple months ago), i found the “stuff all food waste, trash, and also toys we like between our bed and the wall” corner, why do kids do this?

i did it when i was a kid but i got rid of like banana peels and apple cores so that it would stay unnoticed longer, it’s very frustrating to want to explain how to get away with things better, or at least with more cleanliness, and also not want to work against myself

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
First day of virtual kindergarten is over. Dinosaur Train games from PBS Kids are fun but watching the teacher's videos is "boring". So, this will be fun. I feel like our days of loving school are coming to an abrupt end.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

yeah remote for a year outright killed kids my older child’s love of school .

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
just tried out babby in the carrier, she loves it and fell asleep and i have both hands free. im so free. my posting powers are restored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Dreylad posted:

just tried out babby in the carrier, she loves it and fell asleep and i have both hands free. im so free. my posting powers are restored.

Yeah the most valuable item I owned for a long while. Good for gaming and going for walks.