Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gramps

pixaal posted:

You ever learn to fall? If not walk to a karate place and ask them when they are doing a class with take downs as you need to learn to properly fall and pay for a single class. You'll also learn to move someones weight and throw them to the ground which may come in handy some day.

Basically though you want to land on your back and just as your back hits the ground throw your arms (not hands!) to the ground and use them to absorb the rest before your wrists or neck do.

Oh I am very good at falling. I've been a skateboarder my whole life so i typically still instinctually battle roll if I fall. This was a black ice on a downhill slope scenario. the fall was fine as I kinda gently fell to my butt and slid down the hill. I dragged my hand across a sharp rock trying to slow down my slide and filleted my hand pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

also drunks are good at falling because they don't tense up maybe just be drunk all the time

nesamdoom

nesaM kiled Masen

cruft posted:

I just want to pluck this one thing out here, people have been doing this for thousands of years. It was only a very brief period of western expansion in the US, where there was a confluence of very cheap land, abundant affordable labor and materials, and a robust middle class, where it became expected that you'd move out of your parents' house. That's increasingly less manageable today for a whole lot of reasons, and that is 100% okay: it is, again, how people have lived for thousands of years.

I have a lot of younger folks working for me and they all seem to think that living in your ancestral home is some sort of failure, and it drives me nuts. So I want you to stop thinking this, Walla. You're doing just fine, and it's easier on the planet to boot.

Old houses still have built in suites kuz of this. I moved out at 16 kuz it was finacially beneficial for everyone. W were spending more on gas to drive me back and forth to town than it was for rent. If I wasn't stuck out in the country with no legal driving option til 18 I'd have stayed and lived out on the farm. but I had a schedule for school that didn't work with my mum and she didn't need to be driving so much and spending that money.
Nothing wrong with living with parents if noone is put out. I was gonna remodel my basement and hook my daughter up with a place with it's own entrance just so when she's an adult she'd have her own poo poo and i'd just want like half her cut of the bills(which would be almost nothing with the house paid for)...
I'm actually waiting to see how poo poo goes and my bro might have locked in a house in Maine with a secondary on it and I'd not hate to move out there and kick him a bit and just have a spot.
Familial housing is the norm for humans, like you said, it's just this bunch of ppl trying to sell an idea of spending a bunch of money(because they are selling) to live.

Bo-Pepper posted:

also drunks are good at falling because they don't tense up maybe just be drunk all the time

I just want to add to this that I love a phrase I say, I only blame drinking on falling down.

https://i.imgur.com/1qBoiAi.mp4

Manifisto - 2023,rear end-penny - 2023,Saoshyant - 2023,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Manifisto - 2018,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2021
Prof. Crocodile

Bo-Pepper posted:

this is the way

Heather Papps

hello friend

my gramma was complaining about modern doctors and it made me think about how in the recent past your doctor would likely also be everyone in your extended families doctor as well, so figuring out congenital stuff must have been easier than today, in a way.

part of me likes the idea of living in a big family collective, but i very much need my own space. since pandemic times started i have been aggressively attempting to convince my siblings to move north. i'd really like to be in the same area as my niece/nephews/siblings but modern life pulls people off in different directions.

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Bad Video Games

I'd feel like less of a failure for living with my in laws if I actually liked these people. Especially since my wife's grandmother also lives on the property and she's a proper bitch of an old Southern Baptist white woman. Also I can't tell these people what I think of them because my MiL is petty enough to kick us out if we don't acquiesce to her demands, so I pull double duty at home trying to help my wife deal with these people and keep my son out of their toxic mind games as much as possible. Unfortunately my escape plan is when my mother dies and leaves me her life insurance.

Anyway, sorry for bringing the thread down.

biosterous

ime the ideal distance from family is "close enough that i could walk over for dinner or something, or bring laundry over if my machine is broken, but not so close that anyone would pop by unannounced because i would hate that"

like sometimes my mom will text "hey i'm biking and i'll be in your neighbourhood in like half an hour do you want to come out and chat" and that's still not enough advance notice for me. having people just show up all of a sudden is a personal hell

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas

biosterous posted:

ime the ideal distance from family is "close enough that i could walk over for dinner or something, or bring laundry over if my machine is broken, but not so close that anyone would pop by unannounced because i would hate that"

like sometimes my mom will text "hey i'm biking and i'll be in your neighbourhood in like half an hour do you want to come out and chat" and that's still not enough advance notice for me. having people just show up all of a sudden is a personal hell

This is how we are right now, we live about ten minutes from Bingo Bango's mother and hang out with her what I'd consider a healthy amount. If she makes too much food she'll invite us over to have some, if we're both sick she'll bring us over some groceries, we'll go out to eat once in awhile, consult on home projects... it's convenient and she has a great relationship with her mom. We used to live maybe a 30-45 minute drive from my parents and that also worked for me. I get along with them but we can grate on each other if we're under the same roof for too long, but it was close enough to pop out if my mom needed help or there was an emergency or a special occasion.

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

Robot Made of Meat

Bo-Pepper posted:

I had a very nice interview for a possible new job and feel real good about things. Once I made the decision to start looking, dragging my behind to my current job has been tough.

Here's hoping you get that job, and that it turns out to be great!

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Manifisto

Robot Made of Meat posted:

Here's hoping you get that job, and that it turns out to be great!

hear hear! bo-peps for whatever it is!

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Manifisto posted:

hear hear! bo-peps for whatever it is!

I would be directing a drop-in homeless shelter and possibly some other locations. A lot more responsibility but also much more interesting work and closer to home. Possibly more money maybe. Nothing is set in stone yet we’ll see.

How Wonderful!

I've been thinking about vaudeville lately since reading a book about slightly older popular music in 19th century NYC, and I've been trying to figure out how to ask a question about a particular little musical flourish. I finally found an example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CduOLFJ5GEY
This thing. I've also been able to identify the Minsky Pickup.

What is it? What's the history? Where did it come from? When was its heyday? I would like to know about this and its cousin, the "bum badede bum bum-- bap bap!" sting.

alnilam

That last one is "shave and a haircut - two bits" if I read you right.
The misky pickup is great especially when followed by the "and many moooore" for double flourish fun

Robot Made of Meat

How Wonderful! posted:

I've been thinking about vaudeville lately since reading a book about slightly older popular music in 19th century NYC, and I've been trying to figure out how to ask a question about a particular little musical flourish. I finally found an example:

What is it? What's the history? Where did it come from? When was its heyday? I would like to know about this and its cousin, the "bum badede bum bum-- bap bap!" sting.

That's just the sort of question I'd be likely to ask my ex. Sadly, I can't do that because he passed away a year or so back. I do know that it was frequently used on Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In, always followed by one of the ensemble saying a word rather suggestively.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Manifisto

Robot Made of Meat posted:

That's just the sort of question I'd be likely to ask my ex. Sadly, I can't do that because he passed away a year or so back.

drat rmm, what a terrible thing to deal with. I don't know if you were close when it happened but that can't have been easy. sorry friend.

ty nesamdoom!

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

How Wonderful! posted:

Yah that’s shave and a haircut and as my late, great 95 yr old bluegrass jam pals used to say, it’ll stop a freight train as well as a tune.

Idk anything about the origins though. Seems maybe related to a classical coda? It really doesn’t appear in traditional Scottish fiddle music from which the American Old -Time music tradition descends. But also old time got a lot from vaudeville/ragtime/tin pan alley/minstrel shows and it’s it’s pretty hard to say what came from where to me, shave and a haircut sounds rhythmically a lot more like a polka or klezmer kind of things from East/Central Europe than an American rhythm descended from either/both a British isles or African tradition. Shave and a haircut definitely seems to be an American thing, and probably appears in the fourth quarter of the 19th Century from what I can find.

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

How Wonderful!

I was thinking klezmer too but I am definitely not a musicologist

Ass-penny

just in the last twenty minutes I learned you could view the number of posts the top 30 contributors to a thread have, and wow.

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Twenty Four

rear end-penny posted:

just in the last twenty minutes I learned you could view the number of posts the top 30 contributors to a thread have, and wow.

As an estimate, some crazy time to post ratios in there. I do not post nearly as often as some people. Like way way less.

Escape From Noise

Get busy postin' or get busy lurking.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Bo-Pepper posted:

I would be directing a drop-in homeless shelter and possibly some other locations. A lot more responsibility but also much more interesting work and closer to home. Possibly more money maybe. Nothing is set in stone yet we’ll see.

You would be incredible for this position. Real talk. You know.

cruft

cruft

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Idk anything about the origins though.

TIL in Australia they don't say "two bits", they say "drop dead", which is very Ozzie IMHO

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shave_and_a_Haircut

Goons Are Gifts

I know who's the posting superstar of this thread

Goons Are Gifts

it's you, you're the superstar

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Goons Are Great posted:

I know who's the posting superstar of this thread

It's you

Prof. Crocodile

ok I know everyone is really busy right now, but I think we need to have a serious talk about pupusas, and how they are good.

Gramps

Prof. Crocodile posted:

ok I know everyone is really busy right now, but I think we need to have a serious talk about pupusas, and how they are good.

I am absolutely terrible at making them and even my pupusas are awesome. I have had great success with chicken but my favorite so far are black bean. Make the pupusas, BYOB

Prof. Crocodile

Gramps posted:

Make the pupusas, BYOB

:haibrow:

more falafel please

forums poster

Prof. Crocodile posted:

I've only had them a couple times but you are correct

i was gonna say there's not much Salvadoran food around me which seems like a bit of a weird gap, but then I looked it up and there's a place like 6 blocks away. maybe pupusas for lunch?

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

more falafel please

forums poster

in the before times when I worked in the loop there was a venezuelan arepa place doing fast-casual style arepas. it was extremely delicious and they had a great hot sauce

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

cruft

I did a double blood donation yesterday, and then forgot I'd done that and had a glass of wine with dinner and rum cake for dessert.

Last night my resting heart rate was above normal, and today I have a mild but annoying headache over my entire brain, my eyes feel sort of like they're bulging out, and I just want to go back to bed.

I was all worried I was coming down with COVID, but after I realized about the wine, I'm starting to think I might just be hung over. I've never had a hangover before, though. Does this sound plausible given my symptoms?

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

cruft posted:

I did a double blood donation yesterday, and then forgot I'd done that and had a glass of wine with dinner and rum cake for dessert.

Last night my resting heart rate was above normal, and today I have a mild but annoying headache over my entire brain, my eyes feel sort of like they're bulging out, and I just want to go back to bed.

I was all worried I was coming down with COVID, but after I realized about the wine, I'm starting to think I might just be hung over. I've never had a hangover before, though. Does this sound plausible given my symptoms?

Yep that’s a hangover, probably.

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Manifisto

Gramps posted:

I am absolutely terrible at making them and even my pupusas are awesome. I have had great success with chicken but my favorite so far are black bean. Make the pupusas, BYOB

Bring Your Own Bpupusas

cruft posted:

certainly could be! normally I don't wish hangovers on people but in your case I might make an exception (given the alternative), in any case hope you feel better soon!

ty nesamdoom!

cruft

drat it! My first hangover and i didn't even get to experience being drunk!

Twenty Four

Plausible, sure. I don't know to what extent you usually drink or how hard the blood donation may have hit you, as I know little about the latter in general. If you can, drink some water like it or not or something else hydrating, hopefully take a nap and see where you are as the simplest "maybe I have a small hangover" fix. There's tons of opinions and fan favorite remedies if that's the case but if you aren't feeling on top of things "hydrate and rest" are the basics, be it hangover or some other sickness, so it can't hurt anything unless you think something is really wrong, which it doesn't sound like you do.

cruft

Well it could also be COVID. But yeah I've been thirsty as hell and honestly with the precautions I've been taking hangover from blood loss sounds a lot more likely.

Gonna go curl up on the couch and watch some old Doctor Who episodes now.

Manifisto

cruft posted:

Well it could also be COVID. But yeah I've been thirsty as hell and honestly with the precautions I've been taking hangover from blood loss sounds a lot more likely.

Gonna go curl up on the couch and watch some old Doctor Who episodes now.

good plan . . . how old are we talking?

ty nesamdoom!

cruft

Manifisto posted:

good plan . . . how old are we talking?

I'm in Season 2 and they just ditched Susan, thank goodness. All that character was allowed to do was make bad decisions and scream. She started out pretty good in the first episode but it's like the writers didn't know how to handle an intelligent woman so they just fell back on busted rear end clichés.

cruft fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker

cruft posted:

yes, in mild cases