Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

That is one ugly tumor

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Is... is this even a political cartoon? What is the possible message here? It's just saying "hey, the continental US kinda sorta looks like a wing!" That's not a political commentary, that's barely even a comment

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Kaza42 posted:

Is... is this even a political cartoon? What is the possible message here? It's just saying "hey, the continental US kinda sorta looks like a wing!" That's not a political commentary, that's barely even a comment

Apparently the message is that january 6th was bad.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Alhazred posted:

I'm gonna have to take your word on this.

count_von_count
Nov 6, 2012

Florida: America's colon/cloaca. AGC.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on the pressures facing the NHS as Omicron spreads – Two NHS trusts in Lancashire have declared critical incidents in their hospitals owing to Covid staff absences, joining at least six others across England"

Telegraph:

We should be proud of the Queen, says Sir Keir Starmer as he sets out patriotic vision

Matt:

Reduced timetables to come in on all of Great Britain’s rail network

Independent:

Times:

Judge deals blow to Prince Andrew’s hopes of dismissing Virginia Giuffre sex claim

Evening Standard:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Alhazred posted:

It looks like the eagle is just noping on out of there

"gently caress this I'm going to Cuba"

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem
Yeah that eagle is INCREDIBLY annoyed that the United States is springing forth from its back

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Kaza42 posted:

USA needs to expand to the Caribbean big time and build a land bridge through Cuba and Haiti to Puerto Rico, and beyond.

I think it's just an illustration for an article, it doesn't seem to have a message on its own. But we'll never know the context.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Broelman:

Novak Djokovic receives a COVID-19 vaccination exemption to enter Australia for Australian Open (ABC).
This cartoon was made before this morning's news where Djokovic is held up in Melbourne airport: Novak Djokovic lands in Melbourne, but visa issues revealed as reason for delay in entry (ABC).

Dyson:

Probably more of an illustration than a cartoon but falls into the category of making a coronavirus shape out of anything current that involves a round thing.

Spooner:

I don't know if this is anything specific or it's just Spooner living his life.

Warren Brown is back with his summary of the year:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Russian :tinfoil: aside, at least Clinton won the popular vote, so she has some reason to feel cheated.

Trump got blown the gently caress out by 7 million votes…to Joe Biden. Just lol.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

count_von_count posted:

Florida: America's colon/cloaca. AGC.
You take back what you said about colons and or cloacas you slandering son of a bitch.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Nick Anderson

Robert Ariail

Clay Bennett

Lisa Benson

Jeff Danziger

John Deering

Al Goodwyn

Walt Handelsman

Joe Heller

Clay Jones

KAL

Steve Kelley

Gary Markstein

Jack Ohman

Henry Payne

Rob Rogers

Drew Sheneman

Jeff Stahler

Tom Stiglich

Gary Varvel

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Kaza42 posted:

“America is a right-wing place” is the message I took from it. Also Michigan looks like a muppet in profile wearing a top hat over its eyes and nose. I don’t blame the guy for not doing Florida. Maine looks pretty on-model, though.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works.

:negative:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I always see poo poo like this framed in the sense of "oh well it's okay then". Yes, weight, age, being immunocompromised, etc. can affect your vulnerability to covid and its effects. And yes, a significant percent of covid deaths are in people with these comorbidities.
But... maybe we should still care about people dying even if they're old, or overweight, or had chemotherapy or something? I can't even imagine how many stories or tweets or whatever else I've seen that present comorbidities like they're totally inconsequential, or nobody has them, or if they have them then it's okay if they die. Or that if they die, it's a personal failing because they shouldn't have been old or sick or fat. Even relatively innocuous poo poo like this is feeding into that broader conservative narrative because I know the kind of poo poo Skelley puts out.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

He could have drawn this with four steps and yet somehow ends up with a situation with those poor labels failing to hide what is clearly drawn as two down, ten more to go.

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017

Those loony lefties are always trying to put restrictions on gender.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Unfortunately "children are magically immune to covid" has been a right wing talking point for quite some time and thus this fails at being a parody of what right wingers might believe in a hundred years, since it's already happening.

He tends to fly under the radar and get overshadowed by Lester and Ramirez but goddamn it always pisses me off to see Stiglich's incredible racism on display.

Plus this is also a great example of that shining right wing gem, "Liberals are hypocritical this way, which is bad. I am hypocritical in the exact opposite way, which is good."

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Twelve by Pies posted:

He tends to fly under the radar and get overshadowed by Lester and Ramirez but goddamn it always pisses me off to see Stiglich's incredible racism on display.

Plus this is also a great example of that shining right wing gem, "Liberals are hypocritical this way, which is bad. I am hypocritical in the exact opposite way, which is good."
It's not even hypocritical they're two completely different situations. She was actively breaking into the Capitol, and he was in custody and handcuffed while a cop knelt on him as he begged for his life for 10 minutes until he lost consciousness and died.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Twelve by Pies posted:

Unfortunately "children are magically immune to covid" has been a right wing talking point for quite some time and thus this fails at being a parody of what right wingers might believe in a hundred years, since it's already happening.
Unfortunately 2119 is only 97 years away and thus this fails at being a reading of what that cartoon is actually about :v:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Also the joke isn't just that they believe children are magic, it's that they still believe it after 97 years of it not working

I can definitely get behind Treason Day as a holiday. Everybody gather in the town square and do a little bit of treason. Good times

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

idgi

(except I sort of guessed that the cacti with swastika armbands doing sieg heils to the picture of Hitler might be nazis, but thanks for the label)

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Nenonen posted:

idgi

(except I sort of guessed that the cacti with swastika armbands doing sieg heils to the picture of Hitler might be nazis, but thanks for the label)

The flag is supposed to be a parody of the Arizona state flag.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Right, thanks. :tipshat: I was thinking maybe it's the flag of some Pacific island nation because the blue bottom half, well, it doesn't exactly match with my image of Arizona...

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Cat Puke posted:

Those loony lefties are always trying to put restrictions on gender.
Imagining this kid is literally not allowed a gender.

“I’m 17….please let me be a boy.”
“Child, in this family gender is earned. Your great grandfather couldn’t put so much as an M on his license until he was 47! Now keep raking those leaves and maybe we’ll consider giving you some pronouns.”

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
The positioning of that window offends me more than the dialogue. It's almost Rallian.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It's funny that conservatives insist gender is an inherent god-given identity which cannot be changed, but are also loving terrified that if you don't dress little boys in blue and make them play with GI Joes and hammer it into them that no son of mine is going to have fruity interests like theater or dance then they'll grow up to be a girl.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

It's funny that conservatives insist gender is an inherent god-given identity which cannot be changed, but are also loving terrified that if you don't dress little boys in blue and make them play with GI Joes and hammer it into them that no son of mine is going to have fruity interests like theater or dance then they'll grow up to be a girl.

the only person I've ever met who had even a passing interest in GI Joe turned out to be trans. the only person I've met who was in boy scouts long enough to qualify for a military rank, also trans. but conservatives know this, they know they can't stop us, they just want to hurt us as much as they can while they're still able

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Nenonen posted:

idgi

Even the hitler swastika is doing a little heil, just in case someone missed the message.

Shadowed Bacon
Apr 28, 2009

Ah, yes, that famous major network that had all it's people quit en-masse due to massive sandal, CNN. Hell, I think more people left Fox over Tuckers' nonsense than anything at CNN.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Vagabong posted:

Even the hitler swastika is doing a little heil, just in case someone missed the message.

However I think credit deserves to be given for how klan hoods have been incorporated into the flag. That's clever design.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Fishman has casually worked his way to the top of my hate list. Everything he says is as opposite of truth as possible, and it's in the funny papers right next to Family Circus and Garfield, making it insidious as hell.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kellies Nomination: Least Disguised Bigotry (LGBT)

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

rydiafan posted:

Fishman has casually worked his way to the top of my hate list. Everything he says is as opposite of truth as possible, and it's in the funny papers right next to Family Circus and Garfield, making it insidious as hell.
He’s also (ostensibly) a liberal, which tracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Ann Telnaes in the Washington Post. In the paywalled version, it explains who all the caricatures are.