Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
It was an attempted coup. A stupid, not well thought out coup, but a coup none the less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Gumball Gumption posted:

Is the statement I keep going back to a fair one? The Trump supporters at 1/6 absolutely believed they were committing a coup. They also had a childish understanding of one and no viable way to take and hold power.

Yes. But the Capitol stormers were never intending to carry out a people's revolution to overthrow the government and personally install themselves as rulers, and they weren't the only people taking actions on that day. They were invited and allowed in by people already in power who wanted to use them and the chaos they created to delay and throw the election certifications into doubt. And if the Trumpers actually manage to take some hostages and start demanding concessions, it's no skin off their back.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
New HBO max documentary comes out in about 2 hours.
https://www.hbo.com/documentaries/four-hours-at-the-capitol

Edit: Correction. It came out back in October, but is now on HBO Max. I misunderstood how HBO releases stuff on their streaming service I guess.

deoju fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 5, 2022

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

Republicans had no reason to coup 2020 and risk upending a status quo that benefits them now, they already got what they wanted from Trump, and thanks to the filibuster and their control of state governments they're going to be able to do legal coups in the future. McConnell and the Republicans plays the long game.

Oh spot on, but they were happy to stoke the fires for political gain. They fertilized the ground. The Flynn and Bannon side of the Trump admin had to be the source of 'kill some democrats and declare martial law' plan. Different groups.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Gumball Gumption posted:

Is the statement I keep going back to a fair one? The Trump supporters at 1/6 absolutely believed they were committing a coup. They also had a childish understanding of one and no viable way to take and hold power.

Best I can figure yeah. They absolutely did want to cause a coup, but like you said didn't actually have a means to hold power.

I think it's also fair to say at least some of them probably would have killed more than a few senators and representatives if they had gotten the chance, and that Trump (who also has a childish understanding of coups) was in support of what they were doing.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
My Little Douche Coup

BTW that HBO documentary is a pro watch

E

https://apnews.com/article/capitol-siege-joe-biden-arts-and-entertainment-donald-trump-03af7b4c7f0ee1a1c3bdb5dbf2728f84

A Quinnipiac poll found that 93% of Democrats considered it an attack on the government, but only 29% of Republicans agreed. In a recent CBS-YouGov poll, 85% of Democrats called the riot an “insurrection” while only 21% of GOP voters did. Republicans (56%) were more likely to explain the rioters as “defending freedom.” A poll by The Associated Press and NORC Center for Public Affairs Research found that about 4 in 10 Republicans recall the attack — in which five people died — as violent, while 9 in 10 Democrats do.

“We keep using terms like post-factual, but it almost feels like there’s this national psychosis or amnesia about what happened a year ago,” says Charles Sykes, the former conservative Wisconsin radio host and founder of the website The Bulwark. “It’s not just that we’re two nations. It’s as if we live on two different reality planets when it comes to the memory of Jan. 6.”

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jan 5, 2022

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
It's not just Jan 6. I remember when they polled Louisianans in 2010 and asked which president was responsible for the abysmal hurricane Katrina response and a plurality of Republican respondents blamed Barack Obama.

This "mass psychosis" is just a reflection of how fascism, and the inherent denial of reality that comes with it, is an integral component of American conservatism and always has been. People acting shocked by it in 2022 are credulous morons.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

If this hasn't been posted already, here's the status of most of the 1/6 cases a year later:

https://www.justice.gov/usao-dc/capitol-breach-cases

Ctrl+f "sentenced" to see the full force of our justice system in effect. :smith:

Chansley got the most, the majority of the others got probation, a fine, jail time to be served on the weekends, and home confinement

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

It's not just Jan 6. I remember when they polled Louisianans in 2010 and asked which president was responsible for the abysmal hurricane Katrina response and a plurality of Republican respondents blamed Barack Obama.

This "mass psychosis" is just a reflection of how fascism, and the inherent denial of reality that comes with it, is an integral component of American conservatism and always has been. People acting shocked by it in 2022 are credulous morons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPfRGJRMbN8

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I think it's worth noting that even most conservatives thought 1/6 was repulsive... At the time. I have very Trumpy in-laws who were revolted. This is supposed to be the party of law, order, and the common man, not cro-magnon hooligans killing cops.

I think it's worth noting that your anecdote doesn't match up with reality

https://www.newsweek.com/over-half-republicans-believe-jan-6-capitol-rioters-were-protecting-democracy-poll-1664856

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

if you're not a democratic lawmaker seeking reelection being obsessed with 1/6 is extremely pathetic, I'm sorry.

I've made this point before in this forum, but the panic behind the 1/6 coup or insurrection or whatever you want to call it is a masochistic obsession with being dominated. It's an apocalyptic fantasy in which you (the nice, comfortable, respectable, financially secure American) experiences the same oppression that the state inflicts on the poor and the victims of American imperial misadventure.

"Fascism" didn't come from Trump. We weren't saved from "fascism" because the "coup" failed or Trump didn't get reelected. We're not at risk of a resurgent "fascism" if Trump gets elected again or a future 1/6 style coup succeeds. That all already exists -- whatever you want to define "fascism" as (which I don't think is actually fascism but I'll admit I'm being a little pedantic here), has been here and will be here regardless of what happened on 1/6 and whatever will happen in the midterms or the next presidential election. It is happening under Biden as it was Trump, and Obama, and Bush, etc. and it's not even going to slow down short of a sea change in the American political landscape.

You're scared of (and titillated by) the state treating you (you! a real person!) like it does a homeless man living in LA, or a black kid growing up in Englewood, or an undocumented immigrant from South America, or someone living in Syria, or, or, or. None of that counts as fascism. It's only fascism when it happens to people like you. Well, it's never, ever, going to happen to the people who are anointed as global capital's necessary consumers (you), even if you're queer or got an abortion or have a foreign-sounding last name. The proud boys aren't going to come to your house and put a bullet through your head because you're bi -- that's what an Academi operative is going to do to a Syrian kid, which doesn't count as fascism because they're not like us. You'll be safe and secure no matter who is in power in America, unless you become poor (lose your job, get sick, get addicted, spend all your money on NFTs, take your pick) and then you will experience the sort of horror you're obsessing over, no matter who is in power in America.

1/6 should have been a radicalizing event because it exposed the incredible degree to which our institutions are meaningless, rotting facades. The only thing it did or will do is produce even more meaningless grist for the culture war mill and, I'm willing to bet, a lot of FBI "assets" judging by the light sentences everyone is getting. The reality is that a competent republican party could take power at any time they wanted: they already did in 2000 and things haven't gotten better since then. But then again a competent, or even superficially decorous, republican president would not have sparked any of the hysteria about "incipient fascism" that Trump did by being boorish and saying the quiet part out loud.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost
^^^^^great post

IT BURNS posted:

If this hasn't been posted already, here's the status of most of the 1/6 cases a year later:

Ctrl+f "sentenced" to see the full force of our justice system in effect. :smith:

Chansley got the most, the majority of the others got probation, a fine, jail time to be served on the weekends, and home confinement

I would have expected harsher punishments for people that tried to 'DESTROY OUR DEMOCRACY' or whatever phrasing theyre using.

All the hullabaloo about 1/6 is just a distraction from the multiple ongoing crises

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

https://twitter.com/cassiepmiller/status/1479162639636914178

Gotta hand it to Pelosi, she knows what her fans want

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

IT BURNS posted:

Honestly, this is kind of the most shocking part of the whole affair. The riot itself was surprising, but what's more surprising is that they could walk into the capitol and basically go unpunished. It's a great depiction as to how ineffective and toothless our government has become when it can't even defend itself from an unarmed gang.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Honestly, this is kind of the most shocking part of the whole affair. The riot itself was surprising, but what's more surprising is that they could walk into the capitol and basically go unpunished. It's a great depiction as to how ineffective and toothless our government has become when it can't even defend itself from an unarmed gang.

... of right leaning people. They're perfectly capable of beating leftists into submission.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Furthermore

https://twitter.com/databyler/status/1478751990096150528

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Welp, this is where we're at, America...

https://twitter.com/bensiegel/status/1479133345300852738

Great jorb.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

I will never forget the feeling of my partner shaking me awake and telling me that teo taser prongs flew into a man's nuts until he died.

Sedisp fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 6, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Bel Shazar posted:

... of right leaning people. They're perfectly capable of beating leftists into submission.

Yeah if the crowd was anything other than white-as-a-sheet they no doubt would have had no problem defending against them.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Majorian posted:

Great jorb.

Sickening. Starting a war based on a lie? Commendable and worthy of respect

Inciting a bunch of fatsos w animal pelts to storm the Capitol? An atrocity comparable to 9/11 and Pearl Harbor

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

lil poopendorfer posted:

Sickening. Starting a war based on a lie? Commendable and worthy of respect

Also literally stealing the 2000 election, but in a polite decorous way that didn't cast aspersions on our institutions

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Bel Shazar posted:

Are they tho? Those BLM riots went on for weeks, even Chaz lasted much longer than it should have and used basically everything but live rounds to put it down. It seems like the state is rapidly losing support from both ends of the spectrum.

Edit: o I c you're saying the state is perfectly willing to use force on the left but not the right. +1

Cpt_Obvious fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 6, 2022

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Are they tho? Those BLM riots went on for weeks, even Chaz lasted much longer than it should have and used basically everything but live rounds to put it down. It seems like the state is rapidly losing support from both ends of the spectrum.

Every BLM protest I worked in Austin ranged from clubs to rubber bullets and pepper spray. The intentional targeting of fellow medics was icing on the cake.

e: or when the police started being SUPER friendly to one of the few independent vloggers working the protests, to the point that many of the participants got paranoid and beat the vlogger up... and them there was no major independent coverage of the protests there.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Majorian posted:

Great jorb.

Maybe they all sneezed or coughed on their hands.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Bel Shazar posted:

Every BLM protest I worked in Austin ranged from clubs to rubber bullets and pepper spray. The intentional targeting of fellow medics was icing on the cake.

Yah I misinterpreted you as saying they were effective rather than just cruel. So :agreed:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

50% approval in-party, a year later, is an unmitigated disaster and you can literally see the approval flatlining in the other one, so not sure what you guys are getting at

FWIW 75% in-party approval of a former president is also disaster-tier, it should be 90+%

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Yah I misinterpreted you as saying they were effective rather than just cruel. So :agreed:

I mean i'm pretty certain a boston massacre moment against the left would get hand waived away by enough of the country to be memory holed within weeks.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Cpt_Obvious posted:

They're a lot more willing to use immediate force on leftists, anyway, which is a big part of why things escalated into riots in the first place.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Edit: o I c you're saying the state is perfectly willing to use force on the left but not the right. +1

i wouldn't call them riots, they were the largest protest movement in modern american history and were by far some of the most peaceful protests (at least on the side of the protestors) this country has ever seen

only a couple ever turned into riots and that was almost entirely the result of police escalation

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em
What's up with the 4 capitol cops who committed suicide?

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Violently attempting a coup: LOL you care about this?

Democrats performatively shaking the hand of a former VP: This is a grave threat to the country.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Sodomy Hussein posted:

50% approval in-party, a year later, is an unmitigated disaster and you can literally see the approval flatlining in the other one, so not sure what you guys are getting at

FWIW 75% in-party approval of a former president is also disaster-tier, it should be 90+%

That's still overwhelming support, the only thing to take from it is that its just a large enough hole in Trump's armor that someone just as fascist as him but competent (DeSantis for instance) could take advantage of it

But if whatever remains of the GOP establishment tries to run against him they would get destroyed

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Do people feel silly taking this more seriously than the people that were targetted?

https://twitter.com/ArthurDelaneyHP/status/1479155239672496132

It's impossible to say that 1/6 was serious and that democrats are willing/capable of responding to it in a meaningful way. Both of those things can't be true.

Reminder that Dick Cheney helped steal an election and yet?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Mellow Seas posted:

Democrats performatively shaking the hand of a former VP: This is a grave threat to the country.

Performing for who? Literally no other Republican was there.

Also Dick Cheney is a war criminal who's war led to the deaths of over a hundred thousand people, and who's authorization of radioactive munitions has turned a chunk of Iraq into a cancer and birth defect ridden hellhole. I do not think you "gotta hand it to em", personally.

e: That post was probably taking the piss but y'know, I love bait more than anything in the world.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 6, 2022

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Mellow Seas posted:

Yes, because Dick Cheney did a lot more to destroy American democratic norms, such as they are, than 1/6/21 did.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Herstory Begins Now posted:

i wouldn't call them riots, they were the largest protest movement in modern american history and were by far some of the most peaceful protests (at least on the side of the protestors) this country has ever seen

only a couple ever turned into riots and that was almost entirely the result of police escalation

I mean, the whole movement was a result of police escalation really.

I don't know how one would draw the line between protest and riot, but I'd say that there was a significant amount of property damage and direct confrontation with the police in most major cities where it happened. Certainly, all of them were "peaceful" in that the protestors didn't really hurt anyone who didn't try to hurt them first (with exceptions like the Chaz shooting). I think the left needs to stop thinking of riots and property destruction specifically as inherently evil and realize they are the result of a state which cannot or will not address the needs of the public.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Looking forward to Cheney joining Kasich and probably Dubbya at the 2024 DNC

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Yinlock posted:

Performing for who? Literally no other Republican was there.
I think they are trying to lend a bipartisan patina to this, which is not going to impress any Republicans but might sway a few dozen squishy-brained swing voters. Probably a waste of time, I just don't see the harm.

Yinlock posted:

Also Dick Cheney is a war criminal who's war led to the deaths of over a hundred thousand people, and who's authorization of radioactive munitions has turned a chunk of Iraq into a cancer and birth defect ridden hellhole. I do not think you "gotta hand it to em", personally.
Oh is Dick Cheney bad? hosed up if true

Yinlock posted:

e: This post was probably taking the piss but y'know, I love bait for than anything in the world.
Nah, I genuinely don't give a poo poo if Democrats shake Cheney's hand because his daughter said Trump is bad. Does it symbolize something? Sure, maybe, but not anything we didn't already know.

Majorian posted:

Yes, because Dick Cheney did a lot more to destroy American democratic norms, such as they are, than 1/6/21 did.
Yes - but a handshake is a handshake. They didn't make him Speaker.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Mellow Seas posted:

Yes - but a handshake is a handshake. They didn't make him Speaker.

They really, really did not have to give a war criminal a handshake and pretend like he's one of the good guys on the anniversary of Jan 6, a day which the Dem leadership is trying to sanctify.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Not everything has to be about everything. This Cheney-gladhanding is about one very specific thing. "Even this stupid right wing rear end in a top hat thinks Trump is a lunatic" is a resonant argument with some people, if not anybody here.

I mean, the Democrats shook hands with a war criminal? The Democratic President is a war criminal! In that context it's not a big deal to me, sorry.