Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
About 15 hours in to a 1.70 beta run and it's feeling pretty good. Running Kaoses tweaks (https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/3503) with XP gain, skill/stat points per level, tournament bets, smithing stamina regen, party size, and influence/relationship gain all healthily bumped to make it less grindy. As someone who has played the base game to total victory a few times already, it's great for a quick transition to mid game and feeling more powerful more quickly on a new playthrough. I also jacked up looter armies to be 4x normal size per multiple poster recommendations and it makes training up an independent army much easier without being at war.

Recent changes feel good, including sieges, in-context scenes, and pre-battle positioning. I do wish the pre-battle positioning allowed more flexibility in how far forward you could place your troops - perhaps this is something that could scale off tactics skill or some kind of perk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I would genuinely love more of an on-map advantage to tactics since most of its value seems to come from autoresolve and as a result I feel like I rarely prioritize it as a skill. Expanding deployment range seems like an obvious start.

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008
I find that an army of crossbows is better than a long bow army if you are doing both sieges and open field battles. If you are just going out and riding down your enemies on the open steppe bowmen are probably better.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Schwza posted:

I find that an army of crossbows is better than a long bow army if you are doing both sieges and open field battles. If you are just going out and riding down your enemies on the open steppe bowmen are probably better.

are you talking generic bowmen, or Fians

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

BMan posted:

are you talking generic bowmen, or Fians

Are Fians still as ridiculous as they were shortly after launch? I remember just slaying with a small band of them.

Edit: Also didn't Forrest bandits end up leveling to Fians if you took a skill?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
loving hell just had to save scum about 10 times to do a forest bandit hideout at level 4

Very gratifying to look online after and see people saying it's very hard

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

MikeCrotch posted:

loving hell just had to save scum about 10 times to do a forest bandit hideout at level 4

I ended up just modding it so that I can bring my entire army with me to the hideout. If I'm going to cheat then at least it should be funny.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Once I got the strategy down it's fine. The main problem was the fact that

1. I didn't realise your archers by default are set to "hold fire"
2. The end boss is brutal if you've already lost most of your guys and hit points as your dudes won't charge otherwise

Lot of trial and error to realise what you're supposed to do but ***that's Mount & Blade***

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

MikeCrotch posted:

Forest bandit hideouts are easily the hardest. I don't remember the exact number but the top tier forest bandit (I think it's the unit called "Forest Bandit") has about the same bow skill as the second best Fian.

Also hey everyone I found a Bannerlord youtube channel that has some pretty good guides for some of the more opaque mechanics: https://m.youtube.com/c/StratGamingChannel

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Oh neat the beta patch just went live

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

They fixed the snow lasers :negative:

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Does the game keep freezing for like, 60 second for anyone else? Is that just part of the EA charm

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

CuddleCryptid posted:

They fixed the snow lasers :negative:

Time to Uninstall

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

What were the snow lasers?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
All of the snow would fall as normal... from three points in the sky.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Flavahbeast posted:

Thats actually one Bannerlord conversion mod that might see the light of day sometime soon, they've done a lot of work already with a initial beta release planned for the summer and they've apparently got the guy who made the Warband mod on the team

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

MikeCrotch posted:

2. The end boss is brutal if you've already lost most of your guys and hit points as your dudes won't charge otherwise

Don't the forest bandit bosses carry a giant glaive? Once you hit a certain point, you'll have an even bigger glaive or axe, then you always just choose the duel option and one shot the boss with your absurd two hander before they can react.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Did someone say snow lazers?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

downout posted:

Did someone say snow lazers?

lol that rules

someone should start a petition for them to add a menu option that adds all the funny glitches back into the game, like this and the fat troops and insane grinning npc's and troops turning into babies and javelins being more valuable than entire towns and map textures sometimes being replaced by face textures

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Maybe the snow lasers and sky faces could be more common, depending on the number of concussions you'd received. (I remember there was a Warband mod that inflicted permanent Int and Cha penalties after head injuries, which inevitably resulted in you and all your followers wandering around the landscape as a pack of mangled drooling simpletons.)
Bring back the beefy lads. They were hilarious. Plus it's way more intimidating getting threatened by an armoured dude who has a regimen of squats.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

litany of gulps posted:

Don't the forest bandit bosses carry a giant glaive? Once you hit a certain point, you'll have an even bigger glaive or axe, then you always just choose the duel option and one shot the boss with your absurd two hander before they can react.

Sure but I was level 4 at the time and brought a shield to deal with the archer spam

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH
The (forest) bandit hideouts used to be even worse if you can believe it, since you used to not be able to choose what troops to bring. Often you would have a handful of recruits or barely recruits with you.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Wasn't that just "you bring the troops at the top of your list"

I'd always get my companions and my vet imp archers.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Also they regularly had multiple forest bandit parties camping in them all the time. Nothing like taking 50 bandits on with 10 units.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Yeah, bandit hideouts are now easier than ever before. Just take with you your best shield bearing troops/companions, have them make a shield wall and charge. After that just be sure that they are always together to minimize their loses. When the boss shows up just duel him because even your starting weapons can now penetrate armor easily, while that used to not be the case.

Hideouts used to be much harder, especially at lower levels without good gear, so much so that I was avoiding them while now they are like oh free relations with nearby notables.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Does starving out a town not work? I got a town down to two days of food with only "market food" left over, but they ended up staying like that for weeks and I had to attack the fort at full force.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

CuddleCryptid posted:

Does starving out a town not work? I got a town down to two days of food with only "market food" left over, but they ended up staying like that for weeks and I had to attack the fort at full force.

They starve at the same rate the garrison starves when the town is out of food normally, i.e. not much

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Apparently this patch is supposed to speed this up, as well as only injuring the garrison troops so they still need food but can't fight.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

BMan posted:

They starve at the same rate the garrison starves when the town is out of food normally, i.e. not much

Maybe that's it, and the UI is just confusing. It didn't go past two days of food left, so I thought it might have been a bug, or if there is something I have to do to destroy "market food" sources

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I think the "market food" is literally the food items in the town's shop inventory. Items in the market are supposed to get consumed as part of the economy simulation at a rate that scales up with population and/or prosperity. You can probably run them to zero if you somehow buy all the food items before sieging the town.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 7, 2022

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
"Hello merchant! Me and my compatriots would like to buy all of your food and take it outside of the city walls. Please ignore the sound of siege towers being constructed outside."

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I was going to say :capitalism: but it's a bit early for that.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I know this is a common question because its such a major part of the game but is there any way to defect from a kingdom while keeping your holdings and not getting turbofucked in fifty five directions at once by 1000 man doomstacks?

I have three towns and two castles right now, but the hard fact is that with only a few parties available in my clan I can only field a maximum of so many soldiers and the kingdoms with 300 nobles already can just walk over you.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

CuddleCryptid posted:

I know this is a common question because its such a major part of the game but is there any way to defect from a kingdom while keeping your holdings and not getting turbofucked in fifty five directions at once by 1000 man doomstacks?

I have three towns and two castles right now, but the hard fact is that with only a few parties available in my clan I can only field a maximum of so many soldiers and the kingdoms with 300 nobles already can just walk over you.

If you have the influence gather an army of your current kingdom with every noble you can; bring a ton of food. Lead them to the farthest northern edge of sturgia. Run in circles until you hear that they are eating your food. Dismantle army; leave them to die of starvation; switch sides.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

CuddleCryptid posted:

I'm trying this part again and working to it to see if it works but I'm heavily prioritizing charm, leadership, stewardship, and smithing as my skills. Hitting 0.2% harder doesn't compare to bringing 5 more people or being able to sway a conversation. Same with companion skills: if they have engineering or stewardship I'm grabbing them to make them governors asap.

As far as swaying conversation, you need to be friends with nobles and convince them to jump ship with you. That means lots of relation with them, lots of charm skill, and lots of crafted two-handed swords. You won't get their lands iirc but you will get their 60-150 troops.

Also getting you and your brother married helps too. That means two more nobles able to carry along a decent army and they don't count against your companion limit. Relatedly, I need names of decent wife candidates. The Sturgian guy Lek makes a decent husband skill-wise even if his family has a terrible fief location, but haven't found good wives that I can marry my brother off to. Caladog keeps suggesting this lady Corein with 200 bow skill and nothing else.

I have a good fief location, and decent army. I just need at least one more city to take off from and I'll see how it goes.

E: I'm starting to see the kingdom phase like the slight problem with the battle phase i I have writ large: at some point no matter how good you are at the fighting part of the game it won't matter: the armies just get too big to be a big drat hero. Similarly, at some point it doesn't matter how good your army is, at some point you just need too many armies who can handle themselves without you that that's the only thing that matters. Even your 1000-man army can only be in one place at once.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 8, 2022

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Starting a kingdom was unbelievably difficult in Warband too. For good reason obviously, no one with a right to rule wants to let some upstart get a foothold. Crushing them immediately is the smart thing to do.

I think in Warband I just cheated to disperse the initial armies and went from there, or something.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

How I win the game:

1. Save scumming

2. Smithing

3. The majority of my own party is fian champions

4. Declare war when the enemy is already at war

5. Siege a castle and wait for enemies to come to you. They will attack when they think they have the advantage (they don't)

6. Fian kill zone formation

7. Repeat until all their armies are dead

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

BMan posted:

How I win the game:

1. Save scumming

2. Smithing

5. Siege a castle and wait for enemies to come to you. They will attack when they think they have the advantage (they don't)

Also; not forming your own kingdom but staying in an established one.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

BMan posted:

How I win the game:

1. Save scumming

2. Smithing

I forget, what was the command to split your archers into two groups?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Mesadoram posted:

I forget, what was the command to split your archers into two groups?
In the new version you can just make two formations of archers and command them separately.