Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Back when I was in the army, I had some moles cut off my head by the trainee medics, and it was fine except they had never heard of bedside manner or doctorly conduct and used their scalpels with the enthusiasm normally found in 80s slasher movies.

But I guess it could've been worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1947

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett True January 28, 1919

Life before automobile safety glass was grim:
"As more and more cars took to the roads, a rise in accidents was inevitable. When one of these early cars was involved in an accident, it was not uncommon for the driver at a minimum to be injured by flying shards of glass or, far worse, lose his life after going headfirst through the windshield. The latter event was known as wearing a glass necklace. In the teens motorists filed a number of lawsuits against car manufacturers, asserting the car makers were the cause of their windshield-related injuries."

http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/windshield-history.cfm

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Feb. 20, 1949)

Val is a master trickster himself and has absolutely seen real magic work right in front of him by now, so this lesson feels both unnecessary and basically wrong.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yeah so how did he pull off the moustache thing then, James Randi?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Zits

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Feb. 20, 1949)

Val is a master trickster himself and has absolutely seen real magic work right in front of him by now, so this lesson feels both unnecessary and basically wrong.

Merlin does say that there's also The Real poo poo beyond science and trickery. It's still a really weird thing that Merlin immediately dives into a Penn and Teller routine.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Jesus, I guess the single mum with 4 kids really did spring for the Lynx.

(although the multiplayer is perhaps incongruous with that)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

~Coxy posted:

Jesus, I guess the single mum with 4 kids really did spring for the Lynx.

(although the multiplayer is perhaps incongruous with that)

I was thinking Sega Gamegear

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Wait.... what?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Vargo posted:

Curtis

Wait.... what?

Everyone else died. The end.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

riderchop posted:

riderchop@Athena:/mnt/c/Users/Ariel$ bash ck.sh
On The Fastrack

I just keep different stickers on my work laptop vs my personal laptop, but you do you Deathany from On the Fastrack

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell in: roommates (April 25 - May 1, 2005)

Modern Kevin & Kell

Last year these two had sex for the first time in the history of the strip -- you know, despite being twenty-something years old by this point, and being together since they were 13, but details -- which concluded with "yeah, sex is nice, but we're not ready for marriage." Are we getting a wedding arc now?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Vargo posted:

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Wait.... what?

I think maybe the last panel would work better if ... everything around the two huts wasn't green also.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

an anonymous Secret Santa gave me COVID for the holidays so I haven't done a lot of posting, especially image posting. let me get you caught up with ...

Arlo and Janis

if I miss a few days, I generally just post current A&J and then resume posting classics when I'm back to a regular posting schedule; otherwise, it's just too many comics.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Still just mind-boggled at how dumb that Billingsley story is, I'm not sure why he insists on doing these stories every year with the arbitrary time limit of "must fit into Kwanzaa" and then just sort of... gets bored and wanders off halfway through.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Vargo posted:

Curtis

Wait.... what?

I mean, you have to admit this is the best "exchanging cheese with a haunted stump" story you've read lately.

Bizarro

Snow looks like she needs to cut down on the caffeine.

The Family Circus

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

Very clever, yes that is literally the common usage

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

JFC, Bernice, just shut the gently caress up already.

Hostile V posted:

I'll be real, it's better than the original Zofie's World. ZW isn't a bad idea but it's also incredibly one-note and hasn't really done much to execute its concept well.
Yeah, I'm a fan of pop art in general and I like the look of the strip. The problem to me is that it feels like this comic wants to be a version of "Get Your War On", but it just isn't. The format is so open-ended that's it's a shame the artist isn't doing more with it.

Zamboni Rodeo fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 6, 2022

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I genuinely don't know why I hate the term "Jill of all trades" but I do, so.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

I guess it should be noted that many farms/rural houses used to have a name that was same/similar than the last name of the people living there. So "Routavaara" refers both the place and Tatu's last name.
The original text doesn't technically use it as a pure last name, but calls him "Routavaara's Tatu", which is still somewhat common in Finnish language, but (at least to me) feels unnatural in English, so I go with strict <first name> <last name>.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

RoboRodent posted:

I genuinely don't know why I hate the term "Jill of all trades" but I do, so.

It's clearly a derivative term and it doesn't roll of the tongue well at all, but I understand why it exists

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Herman the Heathen

Zofie's World

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I like the kwanzaa story. It's dumb and nonsensical, but the point he's trying to make is that sometimes all you need to do is ask politely, and that it's generous to share if you can when people ask. The actual facts of the story are nonsense, and there really needed to be time to explain why she wasn't just sharing all the water (maybe the wood spirit wanted offerings from each person using the water?), but I get what he's going for.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

I don't know if this deserves a :smith: or :unsmith:

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Maybe he'll fall overboard all on his own.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

"Why do people insist on bringing up all my frauds?"

Andertoons

They are synonyms but I get the joke.

Apartment 3-G

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater und Sohn: Wasp handling (32/1936)

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
god please have a drunken wilbur fall overboard and drown

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Dykes to Watch Out For #146 (1992), by Alison Bechdel

They're of course talking about the 1992 US presidential election, between Bill Clinton and incumbent George H.W. Bush, and a number of third party candidates including Ross Perot and yes, Joan Jett Blakk was a performer, comedian, and drag queen who ran under the slogan "Lick Bush in '92" largely as a way of playfully drawing attention to Bush' dismal record on LGBTQ+ issues and the AIDS crisis.
Here's a short video documentary from 1992 about Blakk and the Queer Nation Party's whole deal.

I don't know what's up with Yoshi's "Gay Girls Make Me Wet" shirt. Many of the shirts people in this strip wear are either gags, or real shirts that one can see in photos of contemporaneous queer culture, but this one is new to me and googling it just led me to a lot of people asking searching questions about themselves.

I could be wrong but I think the Grosse Pointe Gazette and the Topeka Lesbian Tribune are made up newspapers. I'd love to be corrected though.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

PetraCore posted:

I like the kwanzaa story. It's dumb and nonsensical, but the point he's trying to make is that sometimes all you need to do is ask politely, and that it's generous to share if you can when people ask. The actual facts of the story are nonsense, and there really needed to be time to explain why she wasn't just sharing all the water (maybe the wood spirit wanted offerings from each person using the water?), but I get what he's going for.

I usually lose track of the Kwanzaa stories way before they pay off, so yeah, this one gets points for being pretty easy to follow.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Oh my god, I just had the best idea.

If Aldo Kelrast is Speed, can we please get Wilbur as Speed 2 and have him drunkenly row a lifeboat out in front of this speeding cruise ship?

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Raskolnikov38 posted:

We should be so lucky.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

Emi knows the score.

ChaCha Chako

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Maybe he'll fall overboard all on his own.

Ah, so we're going to Mary Worth's second favorite storyline, "Nobody drinks in this strip unless they have a problem, and when they do they deserve what they have coming to them"

quote:

Rex Morgan MD

So the strip artist couldn't put any kind of effort into making these dogs distinct in any way?
Maybe that's the joke?
But if that IS the joke then it means the previous storyline was about an author who is so dim he couldn't think of the concept of "two dogs" without a child delivering it to him with a bow on top?

I have to stop thinking about this or I am going to have a stroke.

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

How Wonderful! posted:

I don't know what's up with Yoshi's "Gay Girls Make Me Wet" shirt. Many of the shirts people in this strip wear are either gags, or real shirts that one can see in photos of contemporaneous queer culture, but this one is new to me and googling it just led me to a lot of people asking searching questions about themselves.

I could be wrong but I think the Grosse Pointe Gazette and the Topeka Lesbian Tribune are made up newspapers. I'd love to be corrected though.
At the time LGBT activists would wear shirts with slogans to make it clear they were LGBT. Sort of a corollary of "Silence = Death" - "Getting Heard = Life". Never saw or heard of a shirt with that exact message though, and it seemed a bit over the top, which I took as part of the joke.

I never recognized a real LGBT newspaper name in DTWOF. Always thought they were made up, and that would be typical of her style.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

JethroMcB posted:

But if that IS the joke then it means the previous storyline was about an author who is so dim he couldn't think of the concept of "two dogs" without a child delivering it to him with a bow on top?

It's an intentional joke with Rene but I'm 50/50 on Rex Morgan taking the piss out of Vidpa or unironically portraying him as some awww shucks children's book author on hard times. Neither interpretation is charitable. Everything about the "12 year old writes author's next book for him as gushing fanfiction and unironically gets a fat paycheck for it" was unintentionally or not slamming home that dude was a dimwitted hack. Like wondering aloud "I've had Kitty Cop fight a giant robot dog, and a giant robot frog, and gosh darn it I'm just outta idea juice! Wait a second, a fan letter? Two cutes dogs named Doggo? Fighting a giant robot log?! THIS IS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Jucika "488 - Jucika And The Parachute Jump Target"

"489 - Jucika Signs"

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Goddamn ask him for proof.

"Can you prove that drawing you just showed us was made years ago instead of, like, ten minutes before the press conference?"

loving ASK HIM.

Jesus christ this is infuriating.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Mikl posted:

Goddamn ask him for proof.

"Can you prove that drawing you just showed us was made years ago instead of, like, ten minutes before the press conference?"

loving ASK HIM.

Jesus christ this is infuriating.

I thought the mafia was going to kill Rene, he escaped through a window. Why would he reveal himself now?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

"you're okay with micromanaging the life of a balding abusive alcoholic so he never faces any consequences, right?"

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

90s Overboard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

In my heart, I want Estelle to end this arc by telling Mary she was apocalyptically wrong.