Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

DoubleDonut posted:

I honestly had forgotten they did it a second time

:same:

vyelkin posted:

lol even if they swept the board in 2022 including winning in places like california and new york the republicans would still be three votes shy of a conviction in the senate which makes it let's say unlikely

what i think is more likely is that the house impeaches him like once a week for the next two years, the same way they repealed obamacare like 50 times

they’ll reduce the needed votes to a simple majority when they finally call the constitutional convention

haha or maybe they push impeachment to the states,that’d be hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Johnny Cache Hit posted:

:same:

they’ll reduce the needed votes to a simple majority when they finally call the constitutional convention

haha or maybe they push impeachment to the states,that’d be hilarious

Honestly that would probably be an improvement at this point, it would backdoor in a parliamentary system

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

HootTheOwl posted:

Dems can't even make a t shirt right.

obama is doo doo but this is a photoshop

the dems' official slogan will probably be much worse than this lol

Polo-Rican has issued a correction as of 15:39 on Jan 5, 2022

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Polo-Rican posted:

vote blue
no matter who

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

2022 will be 2020 too

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

twenty-twentytwo
the democrats are destroyed
donald smiles bigly

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Excelzior posted:

2022 will be 2020 too

just like 4:22 is 4:20 too!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Polo-Rican posted:

...I honestly thought that was Steve Buscemmi.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
https://twitter.com/robreiner/status/1476228056880599041?s=20

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
All those people dead from covid is really helping working class bargaining power.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

how would he know

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It's true, biden's first year has been greater than the New Deal, a famously mediocre and poorly received program.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Gotta give credit where it's due, letting a bunch of meemaws and peepaws die then telling the working class "I don't know man, Google it" when it comes to potentially life-saving medical equipment are absolutely accomplishments

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

We remember FDR as an old guy, but he was 50 when he assumed the presidency. Biden is 80.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

FDR broke ground in presidential PR with his fireside chats. Biden has his comms team tweet condescendingly at us.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Without looking it up, does anybody remember what Democrats impeached Trump for?

"We very nearly didn't get to sell missiles to Ukranian Nazis" and "Something Something 1/6/9/11 Something"

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Mean tweets

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
got caught saying the word pussy

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

DoubleDonut posted:

got caught saying the word pussy

feminism gone mad

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

:corsair:

https://www.ft.com/content/7b4b4fdb- fb8b-4556-b614-cff3035b5e07 posted:

The awkward issue of Biden’s age
At 79, the president should be building up a field of potential successors, not hobbling his second-in-command

5 hours ago

According to a survey, just 41% of Democratic voters believe Joe Biden would have a better chance of winning the 2024 election than another Democratic candidate © Drew Angerer/Getty
On no topic is the bifurcation of America’s media more evident than that of the president’s age. To the conservative media world, Joe Biden’s imagined senility is a staple. Republican figures routinely call for him to take cognitive tests. The term “dementia” is bandied about. By contrast, the closest traditional outlets have come to addressing Biden’s age is a spate of reports into the low ratings of his vice-president, Kamala Harris. For them, it is as if openly acknowledging Biden’s advancing years would validate the conspiracy mongers.

That is a mistake. There is no reason to think that Biden is suffering from anything more than traits that characterised him in younger decades, such as foot-in-mouth disease and a tendency to talk too much. Neither of these is degenerative. In fact, Biden’s malapropisms have noticeably dropped off since he became president while his prolixity is limited by the White House teleprompter. There are some grounds to suspect he is getting more forgetful — he implied twice last year that Taiwan was a formal ally of the US, a claim his staff had to correct. But there are none to suggest he is senile or suffering from dementia.

Yet that will not stop Biden’s age from becoming a liability. It already is. The president’s official line is that he is planning to run again. Just 41 per cent of Democratic voters believe Biden would have a better chance of winning the 2024 election than another Democratic candidate. The equivalent number for Donald Trump among Republican voters is 57 per cent. Some of that gap is to do with age. Although Trump is only four years his junior, Biden will become the first sitting US president to turn 80 in November. It strains credulity to believe he could have sufficient energy at the end of his second term, when he would be 86.

Treating the topic as off-limits is not a solution. During the last campaign, Biden’s team briefly debated whether to declare he would be a one-term president. They rejected it on the grounds that would turn him into an instant lame-duck. That logic still holds. Even if Biden does plan to step down after his first term, as many Democrats predict, it would be self-defeating to make it known. Presidential power is a diminishing commodity. Voluntarily conceding more makes little sense.

Yet Biden dropped strong hints in the campaign that one term would be his fill. He described himself as a “bridge” to a younger cohort. Campaign staff depicted him as a “transitional figure”. Voters could be forgiven for having thought they were being asked to endorse a stop-gap president whose main role was to dispense with Trump and pave the way for the next generation.

That should still be Biden’s goal. Which brings us to the Harris predicament. It is commonplace in Washington for Harris to be dismissed as a lightweight who is stumbling in her duties. Opinion polls back that up. A recent one has her at the lowest rating of any vice-president in modern US history. It may be true that Harris could not win the presidency — let alone be a successful leader — but Biden’s White House is not giving her much chance to disprove that.

Among recent vice-presidents, only Mike Pence, Trump’s number two, has had less Oval Office sway. Al Gore as Bill Clinton’s vice-president, Dick Cheney as George W Bush’s and Biden himself as Obama’s all played far larger roles. The assumption was that Harris was added to the ticket because of her identity — a non-white woman who could shield Biden from the impression he was a throwback. Having helped Biden win the election, Harris appears to have served her main purpose.

Though Harris has several nominal roles, the public seems only to have noticed that of stemming migration from Central America’s “northern triangle”. The term poisoned chalice springs to mind. Given Central America’s endemic corruption, Biden might as well have asked her to fix Afghanistan. It would be more far-sighted to hand over easier wins, such as fighting corporate monopolies or, given her prosecutorial skills, helping urban mayors like New York’s Eric Adams to combat crime — and reform (not “defund”) the police. That would cast Harris in a different light.

Succession planning is always a fraught business. The risk is that Biden wants to run again but will change his mind at the last moment. Treating Harris as a spent asset is self-fulfilling. Building up a field of potential successors — his vice-president among them — is Biden’s only responsible insurance policy.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
"Imagined senility"

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
https://twitter.com/WaitingOnBiden/...ingawful.com%2F

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Fitzy Fitz posted:

FDR broke ground in presidential PR with his fireside chats. Biden has his comms team tweet condescendingly at us.

the biden strategy was scolding everyone to get vaccinated and when that didn't work the white house put out a press release telling everyone they had earned a cruel season of misery and death for their personal moral failure

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

We remember FDR as an old guy, but he was 50 when he assumed the presidency. Biden is 80.

polio is a bithc

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

thanks mr. salk

thalk

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

Weka posted:

All those people dead from covid is really helping working class bargaining power.

checkmate bernie bros

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Bootleg Trunks posted:

how would he know

Net worth: $120 million

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Rich liberals keep screaming at me to refill their mimosas faster now that Biden has made my life so easy and filled my account with riches.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Fitzy Fitz posted:

We remember FDR as an old guy

No we don't. He was only old because he was in office for almost four full terms. I don't think the popular perception was that he was particularly old, especially since two presidents later there was Eisenhower.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

People now remember him as an old guy in a wheelchair. I'm not talking about what people in the 30s thought.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/14...ingawful.com%2F

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Fitzy Fitz posted:

People now remember him as an old guy in a wheelchair. I'm not talking about what people in the 30s thought.

when FDR died he was in his 13th year as president and he was 63 years old, or 16 years younger than Joe Biden is now

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

good news there is no way Rs will have the majority in the house or the senate to make that happen!!

https://twitter.com/ArthurDelaneyHP/status/1479155239672496132

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

nancy pelosi retire bitch

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

"don't say 'erected', don't say 'erected'...uh, STOOD UP federal testing sites. yeah that's the ticket!"

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Call me a rules lawyer but isn't that the president of the United States endorsing Americans to use the services of a privately held entity?

Wouldn't that be an absolute meltdown if Trump we-

gently caress it, I already know the answer

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
powerful stuff very moving *uncontrollable agonized making GBS threads*

https://twitter.com/_waleedshahid/status/1479181475190755328

its a joke ... BUT IS IT REALLY

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Lib and let die posted:

Call me a rules lawyer but isn't that the president of the United States endorsing Americans to use the services of a privately held entity?

Wouldn't that be an absolute meltdown if Trump we-

gently caress it, I already know the answer

we'd get weeks of SNL sketches with alec baldwin trump yelling at people to google things

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
https://twitter.com/bigracks/status...ingawful.com%2F

(The Wakanda bit is fake, but would it even matter if it werent?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
https://mobile.twitter.com/JStein_W...ingawful.com%2F

:waycool: