Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

landgrabber posted:

another one: does anyone know of a good/fully featured metronome or metronome app for my phone? i went on the app store and looked at most of the most popular ones, but they all want me to pay money weekly.

i don’t mind buying something with a one time fee, or a real/physical metronome. i do want it to be able to tell me both bpm and what notational tempo i’m in

Soundbrenner does all of that. It's a companion-app for their wearables but the built in metronome works on its own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power_13
Jan 10, 2007

mama mia!
Are there any particularly good headphones with a detachable cable that work well for recording music?

Comfortable enough to wear for hours, balanced output, no noise cancelling or anything else that might alter what I hear when I'm playing tracks back.

My Sennheiser HD 205s are on the way out. The cable developed faults months ago, but I pulled them apart and soldered an output jack into them. My crappy soldering job has given up the ghost now, so I reckon I'm best off cutting my losses and buying a new pair.

Power_13 fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 3, 2021

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is there a thread about mixing, production, EQ, instrumentation, etc.? I’m at the point where I can put notes on a page and make a nice little tune, but i don’t know best practices for how it should sound or what instruments I should use/how to make them play nice. I’d like to learn more about that, cause AFAICT it’s really important to get that right.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Am I the only person on the planet who thinks in "Mony Mony", Billy Joel Idol is somehow singing like 20 cents sharp in the non-chorus sections?

It drives me up the damned wall and I can't find any confirmation anywhere that anyone else hears this.

E: thank you hexwren

cruft fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Oct 14, 2021

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

idol

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

i just listened to the studio version and i think the instruments are like 40 cents flat so maybe that's it. i can kinda hear what you're talking about now that you pointed it out, but i hear it in the chorus too. i don't think it's ever bothered me because it seems like just part of his slightly strained/gravely vocal style

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

CaptainViolence posted:

i just listened to the studio version and i think the instruments are like 40 cents flat so maybe that's it. i can kinda hear what you're talking about now that you pointed it out, but i hear it in the chorus too. i don't think it's ever bothered me because it seems like just part of his slightly strained/gravely vocal style

Oh, you know what, maybe it's just an out of tune synthesizer.

Anyway it's like nails on a chalkboard to me, and I appreciate getting some validation that my hatred for this song, while maybe not entirely rational, is at least grounded in a peer-confirmed observation!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Dunno where to post this, so I figure I'll try here.

I use Renoise as my DAW, and while tracking out some random garbage I found this really weird effect. I suspect it has something to do with how MIDI, using the same instrument on multiple tracks, and Renoise's FX column play together. But what's happening seems too familiar to me to just be an annoying bug.

Does anyone know what exactly is happening in this clip...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTFSfoIkqXE

...and how I can replicate it without relying on undefined behavior? Because it is absolutely sick.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Pollyanna posted:

Dunno where to post this, so I figure I'll try here.

I use Renoise as my DAW, and while tracking out some random garbage I found this really weird effect. I suspect it has something to do with how MIDI, using the same instrument on multiple tracks, and Renoise's FX column play together. But what's happening seems too familiar to me to just be an annoying bug.

Does anyone know what exactly is happening in this clip...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTFSfoIkqXE

...and how I can replicate it without relying on undefined behavior? Because it is absolutely sick.

I can't help you but IMO just record that for 25 minutes and call it Piano Phase 2: Phase Harder

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I suspect that what's happening is related to using the same instrument on all the tracks. The third track from the left has a delay effect on it, and it seems to be applying to the second and first tracks too. It's a sampled instrument, so my guess is that there's some sort of max (for whatever reason) on how many samples in the instrument can play at a time. Might be due to its keyzones or how its chopped up.

Utterly fascinating and now I want to figure out how to replicate it.

timp posted:

I can't help you but IMO just record that for 25 minutes and call it Piano Phase 2: Phase Harder

yooooooooooooooooooooooooo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57TuvksMR70

this is dope

(edit: also the piano is a placeholder for other instruments, prolly a bass and some guitar too, so :v:)

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 21, 2021

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

I suspect that what's happening is related to using the same instrument on all the tracks. The third track from the left has a delay effect on it, and it seems to be applying to the second and first tracks too. It's a sampled instrument, so my guess is that there's some sort of max (for whatever reason) on how many samples in the instrument can play at a time. Might be due to its keyzones or how its chopped up.

Max Voices was a thing, like, 25 years ago. I wouldn't expect it to show up now.

Just so we're clear, could you characterize the effect in words? Like, what you thought this would sound like, and what it sounds like instead?

To this oldster, it looks like you're using what we used to call a "tracker", and that there's some sort of "zero everything" command being issued at the start of every other frame. But I see these "note off" commands, so they should already be released... so maybe you have some sort of reverb effect that you're resetting every other frame?

e: or sustain pedal?

cruft fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 21, 2021

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
What I'm hearing is that the note is being silenced shortly after it starts, so you just get the attack from the note and then nothing else (except for some reverb, not sure where that's coming from). Then there's a bit of popping at the end of the note, which I tend to associate with a discontinuous waveform. Just adding/subtracting/multiplying/etc. waveforms together shouldn't be able to produce discontinuities like that, but cutting off the note before it can fade to zero volume would.

I don't know enough about the software to speculate as to causes, but if you can get access to the instrument samples, you should be able to manually tweak them to recreate the effect.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

cruft posted:

Max Voices was a thing, like, 25 years ago. I wouldn't expect it to show up now.

Just so we're clear, could you characterize the effect in words? Like, what you thought this would sound like, and what it sounds like instead?

To this oldster, it looks like you're using what we used to call a "tracker", and that there's some sort of "zero everything" command being issued at the start of every other frame. But I see these "note off" commands, so they should already be released... so maybe you have some sort of reverb effect that you're resetting every other frame?

e: or sustain pedal?

I would expect notes on Backup Harmony to play as normal after the OFF signal has been received for Lead Melody or Counterpoint Melody. Instead, you get a short pop for that note - which is probably the attack TMA's talking about - and you're left with just the delay from the previous Backup Harmony note. Except for the final F, which simply cuts its entire track. Why, I don't know.

Speaking of, I would also expect the delay effect to only apply to Lead Melody, since it's applied. Instead, I also hear the delay effect on Backup Harmony when FX is turned off for its group. Delay is not present in Backup Harmony when FX is on for its group. It's possible that it uses the other group's FX for some reason. (Reverb and delay are different, right?)

Don't get me wrong, none of this is bad. It's a really cool effect! I'm just curious about why and how it's happening.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 21, 2021

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

I would expect notes on Backup Harmony to play as normal after the OFF signal has been received for Lead Melody or Counterpoint Melody. Instead, you get a short pop for that note - which is probably the attack TMA's talking about - and you're left with just the delay from the previous Backup Harmony note. Except for the final F, which simply cuts its entire track. Why, I don't know.

Speaking of, I would also expect the delay effect to only apply to Lead Melody, since it's applied. Instead, I also hear the delay effect on Backup Harmony when FX is turned off for its group. Delay is not present in Backup Harmony when FX is on for its group. It's possible that it uses the other group's FX for some reason. (Reverb and delay are different, right?)

Don't get me wrong, none of this is bad. It's a really cool effect! I'm just curious about why and how it's happening.

Reverb and Delay are very closely related (you can make reverb with multiple delays), but are typically shown as different effects.

So you're referring to the thing where suddenly all sound stops, then. My money's on some sort of "reset everything" happening at the beginning of the third frame, which I presume is repeated every other frame. MIDI has a command you can send that's like "EVERYBODY STOP EVERYTHING RIGHT NOW" in case a key up event doesn't get delivered: it happens sometimes. You may have something similar in your DAW at the beginning of that first frame. And I predict you're going to transition from "sounds cool" to "OMG just freaking stop" the longer you try to hunt this down ;)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The good news is that it’s pretty easy to avoid, I only found it cause I muted the wrong column. :v: Plus, it inspired the first verse of the song!

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
My headphones (audio-technica ATH-M30) are only playing in mono. I tested on my PC headphone jack, speaker hp jack, and directly into sound card, I tested on my phone too. I can hear actual L/R differences with earbuds. I've been troubleshooting over the last few days.

Is there a fix? Like resoldering the connector? I've had these about 8-9 years. They've held up pretty well considering I've dragged my rolling chair over the long rear end 11 foot cable 5000 times. Could it be worth cutting off 8' of cable and resoldering the connector?

Either way, I think my next pair might be the new Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

My old M50 had the channels switched and resoldering the connector helped there. I guess if the tip and ring started touching it would make the cable sum channels on both sides :thunk:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
The setup: MPC Live II and record player

I want to sample into the MPC but I need to ground the record player because I am getting a lot of ringing noise. Do I have to ground the record player to the MPC? Having to screw a ground wire in and out kind of kills the portability.

Can I ground the record player to something that will never move? Like a monitor (speaker, not computer screen)?

Also, does the ringing depend on where the record player is? I have used it without a ground wire before and the ringing wasn’t bad enough to care about, but I recently moved and my setup is different.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Ringing like feedback? Do you have speakers sharing a surface with the turntable, or maybe just very close together?

or is it a ground hum like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVZ2P0KsLic

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
Hello, could someone please tell me how to count the part from :47 to 1:22 on this? I'm kinda confused by the rhythm but I really like it. Thanks in advance!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKtTusw_ToY&t=46s
(timestamped)

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 felt the easiest in general, going 1 2 3 1 2 3 4 5 would be the most helpful for me personally but that's probably not correct

outside of the cool rhythms it doesn't sound like the song breaks 4/4 at any moment

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I could write it out in western classical notation if that would be helpful, idk

Ruffian Price posted:

1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 felt the easiest in general, going 1 2 3 1 2 3 4 5 would be the most helpful for me personally but that's probably not correct

outside of the cool rhythms it doesn't sound like the song breaks 4/4 at any moment

I agree with this

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
Answered my own question about a 140-year-old religious spiritual book. You can view and download it here.
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015024127600&view=1up&seq=6

NC Wyeth Death Cult fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Dec 29, 2021

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

Ruffian Price posted:

Hawkperson posted:

I could write it out in western classical notation if that would be helpful, idk

I agree with this

Thank you both! :v:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I think I better start by asking about this here before I go to my orchestra friends on Facebook for more specific intel on the matter.

Where do I go, and what kind of person do I talk to, to get an old violin appraised?

My dad used to be a violin player and still has his old fiddle, but he doesn't remember very much about it other than that it belonged to his mother who had it since before he was born, which puts its origin sometime during or before the 1940s. He thinks it might have been made by a guy called David "Jusik" or "Guzik" or some poo poo like that out of Budapest, but there don't look to be any visible markings on it to indicate who made it or where, apart from a small teal-ish diamond mark near where the strings hook on the bottom, outlined in white or gold or some other light color, but that could be nothing. The bridge may have been replaced at one point or another, although my dad doesn't remember for certain; the bridge that's there now doesn't match the rest of the instrument at all and has a very-faint-but-practically-illegible mark on it that might indicate something about it. Apart from needing new strings and maybe a light cleaning, the whole thing looks to be in pretty nice shape.

I'd like to find out a bit more about its history like when and where it was made and whatnot, and maybe find out if it's worth anything, but where would I go to do that?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I hope if you find anything out you will let us know.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Have you looked on the inside through the f-holes? That's where a label would be, if any.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Bridges break and get changed out regularly, so that part checks out. That’s the extent of my knowledge about strings tho

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Flipperwaldt posted:

Have you looked on the inside through the f-holes? That's where a label would be, if any.

I can check there with a flashlight tomorrow

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
I would take it to a local violin shop, if they can't help you, they'll know someone who can.

blueblueblue
Mar 18, 2009
A good picture of the label is all you really need at first. It should be visible through the F hole on the left side of the instrument. Local violin shops probably aren't knowledgeable enough to help you appraise the instrument unless you live in a major metro area.

I would start with a local luthier, which may or may not be hard to find. They can tell you if the instrument is a piece of junk, or actually something worth appraising, and point you to someone who can do that. Finding a luthier can be tricky, the independent ones usually don't have an online presence and do most of their work on word-of-mouth and not folks coming in off the street. Ask your orchestra friends, they will know.

Don't be surprised if the luthier or shop brushes you off or has a weird attitude. Probably 90 percent of the instruments they see this way are pure crap. The guy I go to works out of his garage, and routinely handles instruments worth high 6 figures.

If you really just want the instrument appraised, that is a whole can of worms. Most appraisals are for insurance purposes and not what you could actually sell it for. The market fluctuates wildly and can take years to actually sell something. The value in your instrument is more sentimental than anything.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I'm using FL studio for the first time and following a tutorial and my audio is like super crackly for some reason

I have tried upping the buffer to the max and it doesn't fix the problem. Also I have an i7 with 3.7 GHz so I feel like that should be plenty to run this without too much issue?

Information that may help:

My output is through a bluetooth headset (sony wh-1000mx4) which behave fine the rest of the time with no crackling. I'm not accidentally using the phone bluetooth mode that sounds awful either.

The crackles are the exact same every time, they aren't random. If I play a kick or something it will crackle the exact same way every time.

Some plugins/instruments crackle more than others but they all do to some degree

Any advice? It's a clean install and even before I installed other plugins it was crackly, I just thought maybe the default 808 sounds crackled for some reason, haha.

edit: nm I have no idea what happened but it works now, I didn't even do anything else but restart it again which I had already done

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 12, 2022

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Stefan Prodan posted:

I'm using FL studio for the first time and following a tutorial and my audio is like super crackly for some reason

I have tried upping the buffer to the max and it doesn't fix the problem. Also I have an i7 with 3.7 GHz so I feel like that should be plenty to run this without too much issue?

Information that may help:

My output is through a bluetooth headset (sony wh-1000mx4) which behave fine the rest of the time with no crackling. I'm not accidentally using the phone bluetooth mode that sounds awful either.

The crackles are the exact same every time, they aren't random. If I play a kick or something it will crackle the exact same way every time.

Some plugins/instruments crackle more than others but they all do to some degree

Any advice? It's a clean install and even before I installed other plugins it was crackly, I just thought maybe the default 808 sounds crackled for some reason, haha.

edit: nm I have no idea what happened but it works now, I didn't even do anything else but restart it again which I had already done

This description sounds a whole lot like something is clipping. Try turning some volumes down if it happens again.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Posting was the answer.

It often is.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Anyone have a recommendation for a free or cheap sampler or soundboard app I can use on a Windows tablet? I just need something real simple with some pads to trigger a few sound effects and loops for a show.

Keptbroom
Sep 10, 2009
I've used Multiplay in the past.

I think it's more involved than your looking for and it's probably complete overkill but I think it would do the job you want.
There is undoubtedly something better out there for your use case though.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a free or cheap sampler or soundboard app I can use on a Windows tablet? I just need something real simple with some pads to trigger a few sound effects and loops for a show.

I built a thing that lets you set up a playlist, and instead of auto playing the next item, cues it up for an external trigger to start. I made it for a dance show but it'd work well for the theater too.

https://github.com/nealey/playlist is the project. You have to edit HTML to set the playlist, currently, but if literally anyone else on earth used it, I'd probably add code so you could set the playlist from the running app.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Do we have a speaker thread? I couldn't find anything, but I'm also pretty blind.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

The Demilich posted:

Do we have a speaker thread? I couldn't find anything, but I'm also pretty blind.

what do you wanna know about speakers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Pokey Araya posted:

what do you wanna know about speakers?

Opinions on speaker combinations in extension cabs, specifically what pairs well sound wise with 2x12" Celestion v30's (I have the Harley Benton G212v).
I play a baritone in A1 standard to give an idea about the range I dabble in. I can and do go lower and do sometimes, and I don't play with a bassist so I'm not worried about stepping on any toes.

I'm looking to increase my cabinets total wattage by adding an additional 8ohm extension cab to bring me up to a minimum of 200watts (I'm currently @ 120 watts with the x2 v30's @ 8ohms).
The reason for this is my amps maximum output is 200 watts, so I want to make sure I won't blow things out when maxing everything.

I'm open to any speaker size btw. I just want opinions on which speakers other players think sound great in tandem with what I have listed above. Ideally I'd like to keep the dB sensitivity within +/-2 of 100db, as that is what the v30's are listed at.