Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Resident Idiot posted:

Ha, another person who's played Farkle. I was beginning to think the whole thing was a hoax and I was the only one who'd played it.

I was about to say I've played Farkle, but then I remembered that no, I just know a guy who keeps some solo cups in a Farkle box to use as a Liar's Dice kit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Aramoro posted:

You'd have to absolutely loving psychotic not to play with drafting. The majority of the game , such as it is, is in the draft.

System mastery is an issue in TfM as well, there's a deck of 300 unique cards so you need to know what's possible.

The minimum to play TfM is drafting (is this seriously an optional rule?) and the Prelude expansion and even then some corps are just better than other ones.

One of the problems I had with TfM, besides that it was a more luck-dependent Race for the Galaxy, is that it's also longer than RftG without adding much. If you add on drafting it feels really long for what it is. What it needs is more ways to see more cards during play, like RftG has.

It seems like it's kinda fun if you're really into the theme but mechanically it is pretty mediocre compared to similar games.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

Poopy Palpy posted:

I was about to say I've played Farkle, but then I remembered that no, I just know a guy who keeps some solo cups in a Farkle box to use as a Liar's Dice kit.

Liar’s Dice is a great bluffing game that can be played while pleasantly drunk. Or belligerently drunk for that matter.

Farkle can go to hell along with Yahtzee.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

My family just calls Farkle “Dice” and we have some wonky house rules that official Farkle doesn’t have. My favorite is double doubles rerolls a bust. Also I have played with people who say you must take all 1,5’s which is the worst way to play because 5’s are garbage and should only be taken to keep rolling.

Edit: Farkle is chill, its Bunko that can die in a fire. The only depth of decision is whether to cheat or not, god that “game” blows.

djfooboo fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 5, 2022

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Kalko posted:

We played the yellow cards incorrectly for a fair while; we were playing the Tavern and Brewery's 4 and 6 coins as renewing each turn so if you got both you had 10 coins to spend for free every turn. And we also thought the yellows that reduce the cost of a resource only reduced the base cost from 2 to 1 so you still had to pay an additional amount if your opponent had more of that resource. Once we cleared those two things up a lot of other things suddenly made more sense.

Wait, the yellow cards set the total price to 1? How did I miss this :psyduck:

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Kickstarter success:

majestic as gently caress

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
Nice, I just use some little glass bowls that used to have crème brûlée in them.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
I played Oath recently and I was completely baffled as to what the gently caress i could even do in oath. I was the cloud/bird people.

There were only 5 turns, we finished in 90 minutes, I dunno, i was really confused for most of the game. I attacked some people...I think? I lost every battle super brutally and basically couldn't really affect the outcome, and the purple player kept telling me to become a citizen or whatever.

It was a strange game. Is there a guide to actually playing the game? It was confusing as poo poo

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Lmao. Did you play with people who knew the game already? That’s so rude of them.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

PerniciousKnid posted:

One of the problems I had with TfM, besides that it was a more luck-dependent Race for the Galaxy, is that it's also longer than RftG without adding much. If you add on drafting it feels really long for what it is. What it needs is more ways to see more cards during play, like RftG has.

It seems like it's kinda fun if you're really into the theme but mechanically it is pretty mediocre compared to similar games.

This is basically how I feel, I played TM before playing RftG and thought it was pretty good but once I got into Race I have barely played TM at all.

TM has some fun ideas and the map is very cool but it needs some fundamental change to stop games from dragging on and to reduce the variance of play without relying on drafting.

When I was really into TM I thought that you could probably fix a lot just by playing with a smaller deck with some repeat cards but I never got round to trying it.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jan 5, 2022

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

RabidWeasel posted:

When I was really into TM I thought that you could probably fix a lot just by playing with a smaller deck with some repeat cards but I never got round to trying it.

I do not understand why TfM doesn't use a seeded deck.

Race doesn't need one because cards are resources and you burn through shitloads of them but in TfM you can easily get a draw (or draft) where several of the cards are dead draws making the decisions less interesting.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Orange DeviI posted:

Lmao. Did you play with people who knew the game already? That’s so rude of them.

Had a bad experience with Spirit Island like this on NYE - played 4 player with 3 experienced players and 1 newbie (who was also relatively new to designer games). Explained the rules and the new person very clearly wanted to get on with it and said they "learned by doing". As the game went on it was clear they didn't "get" it, but also weren't really saying anything, and since 4p Spirit Island is pretty complicated I let them get on with it instead of trying to play their turn for them or give them too much advice.

Unfortunately it got to the point where one turn I looked over and they hadn't played any cards, because they couldn't see any way to impact the board. They'd also misinterpreted some rules (and said I hadn't explained it, which I definitely had because I'd had people have the same issues before, but I guess things had got mixed up) and so weren't getting their energy every turn and didn't grasp that reclaim all got them all their discarded cards back. We ended up calling it there because clearly they weren't having a good time, though they said they'd be willing to give it another go.

One of things I realised was that, if me or one of the 2 other experienced players was picking up a game, if a situation like that came up where it felt like something was wrong (clearly not getting enough money to play cards, running out of cards etc.) we would pipe up and check we we understood right. But people who aren't used to boardgame mechanics might just assume the game is poorly designed or they really hosed up somehow and not ask questions. Anyway, a learning experience for me! Hopefully will get another game in with this person in the future. Also that 4p coop games where each person has their own very individual thing to do is bad with board game newbies (had a similar experience with Marvel Champions).

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Kazzah posted:

I’ve been enlisted into Dwellings of Eldervale tomorrow. Anything I should know going in?

It will feel at times like building Dwellings is maybe not the most important thing, but it very much is.

Ogdred Weary
Jul 1, 2007

A is for Amy who fell down the stairs
Is Ark Nova superior to Terraforming Mars when it comes to finding cards that combo with your tableau? In TM you have drafting and some odd card drawing powers, but it often feels insufficient with the huge deck

If AN does it better it might pique my interest

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Resident Idiot posted:

Nice, I just use some little glass bowls that used to have crème brûlée in them.

I found some small glass bowls that are clear, square, and have rounded edges/bottoms (for easy "last token" removal). My only complaint is they're thicker than they need to be (I think they were meant to go in an oven).

Other than that we use actual petri dishes for Pandemic, and bead boxes (again clear and with round-bottom cavities) for games with many token types (eg. Gloomhaven).

I've looked at a bunch of commercial options, but they all seem to have usability problems.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

sportsgenius86 posted:

It will feel at times like building Dwellings is maybe not the most important thing, but it very much is.

It's about the cones, is what i'm hearing

I've got the Baseball Highlights and the Super-Skill Pinball roll-and-writes coming in tomorrow, pretty excited to roll dice in Omicron Times.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

jmzero posted:

I've looked at a bunch of commercial options, but they all seem to have usability problems.

I'm 3D printing all my own inserts and holders and so on, it saves incredible amounts of money.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

gschmidl posted:

I'm 3D printing all my own inserts and holders and so on, it saves incredible amounts of money.

I do this as well, but will add the caveat - *it saves incredible amounts of money but adds the expenses of both the 3d printer and time.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

armorer posted:

I do this as well, but will add the caveat - *it saves incredible amounts of money but adds the expenses of both the 3d printer and time.

While this is true, given that some inserts cost as much or more than many games, it starts paying for itself rather quickly.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

sportsgenius86 posted:

Quoted for truth. Also, players shouldn't underestimate how important it is to go into the Dungeon and add cards to their tableau. Both the VP multipliers you get from working up a track as well as the abilities you get for recalling your pieces are pretty key.

If you're guiding the set-up, I always include the Oracle. It's a second way to get Dungeon cards and, honestly, they're the shiniest part of the game; it sucks to limit access to them to a single hex (although it can certainly turn that hex into a knifefight in a phone booth.)

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

MikeCrotch posted:

Had a bad experience with Spirit Island like this on NYE

Something similar here, though also bad judgement on my part. I brought Spirit Island to a friend, and was pretty new at it myself. I expected that the two of them would pick up on the game pretty easily, but 3p SI is a lot bigger than 1p, so I didn't do the best job at explaining it either since I definitely had to look up some interactions myself. I absolutely love the game, but it was pretty clear that they were having a tough time (they're not used to bigger games like this either). Sucks, should have brought Wingspan. The booze didn't help.

Sticko
Nov 24, 2007
Outrageous Lumpwad
At the best of times, it takes a bit to really grasp the flow of the game and what a decent strategy looks like. For someone new, it doesn’t take too long to get a bad snowball happening if you get a fortified settlement in the corner of the map and some blight cascades. I think it really helps to go over some basic tactics as well as the rules. Things like moving invaders to prevent builds, builds often being more important than ravage, elemental thresholds being really important etc.

But yeah, can take a few games to really appreciate. Still my favourite game.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Spirit Island Trip Report: I set it up in new player mode and picked the lightning dude and promptly lost three games in a row. Wow, this game is pretty hard! So I tried ditching the recommended power progression cards for a few games and it felt like I was doing better, but I still kept losing. So I looked online to see if I was playing any rules incorrectly and nope, looks like I had everything sorted. And people on BGG and Reddit were saying they found the tutorial easy!

I did find some errata about adding an additional blight token at the start, so I did that but it still didn't help. And then I noticed something on my character board...

I cannot believe I overlooked that the entire time, but I won pretty easily on the next game. I like it, will play again.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Oof yeah, Lightning's primary advantage is its ability speed up powers, just ahead of its great affinity for destruction. Good catch!

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Ogdred Weary posted:

Is Ark Nova superior to Terraforming Mars when it comes to finding cards that combo with your tableau? In TM you have drafting and some odd card drawing powers, but it often feels insufficient with the huge deck

If AN does it better it might pique my interest

I've played AN twice and enjoyed it more. Can still get bad draws but you have a few ways to draw or play directly from a visible sliding market. My friend who adores TfM thinks Ark Nova may be displacing it in his collection. I've also gotten the impression that card synergies are less important and you more picking for immediate value, relative to TfM (obviously both are important in both games) but again, only 2 plays so far.

The other thing I've liked more in Ark Nova is it seems easier to track your opponent(s). Terraforming Mars has many spots where you often don't care but sometimes you do, and reading their tableau is hard. AN I've mostly cared about "will they jam Break" and "will they take the card I want from the middle" and found them easier.

rchandra fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jan 6, 2022

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Ruins of Arnak is better than I expected playing on BGA. BGA also reminded me that Cacao is still good.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
I have some Bloodborne questions after my first play.

- do I need to discard a stat card to use items, hunter tools, or runes? (I don't think so)

- can I have more than one mission active at a time? For example, in the first chapter of the first campaign, you get a mission if you finish a movement on Ransacked House or Courtyard Lamp tiles. Can both of these missions be active at once? (I assume yes, but the central board only having one card slot for missions is confusing)

- if I defeat a monster spawned as part of an insight mission, does it still respawn on blood moons? (I assume no, because they simulate boss fights from the video game and also wow that would be difficult)

- if I discard a card to make a non attack action, do I still get the effect like Draw 1? (I assume no)

- the rules say to shuffle the upgrade stat cards into a single deck, but the cards came partitioned by color, so I just kept the four decks separate. Does anyone else use this house rule?

- when I move and reveal a tile, do I move to a spot on that tile with the same move, or does revealing a tile cost a movement point and then moving onto it cost a movement point? (I assume the former)

- what expansions are worth getting? I am thinking that either one will fit in the box, or I could get two, put all of the minis in the main box, and the not minis into an expansion box. Is that sensible?

A Loaf of Bread
Mar 19, 2008
Getting in on the criticizing-Terraforming-Mars chat as someone who has played it once and thought it was… ok:

I hate how ugly the game is. All the design and the art is unpleasant to look at, which hurts my ability to enjoy the game. I think I’ve been spoiled by playing stuff like Everdell and Root where all the art is gorgeous and the aesthetic is incredibly well designed.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Agreed on TFM being merely ok. I've played it maybe 5x now and every time it feels like a chaotic, jumbled mess with way too much extraneous information and red herring side material. If you just pay attention to the main activities it's perfectly fine but drat those designers sure wanted to cram everything in there. It's a great example of an inelegant game.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

A bit surprised someone had a bad time in Spirit Island due to playing badly, seeing as it's a coop game. Sure you're kinda stuck in your own corner of the map, but when I play it's almost like a communal play, where we discuss the best actions and synergies for all spirits. We at least always do a check before executing our actions. Like "I'm gonna get two blights this turn, can someone help me out over here?" or "I've got this card to spare, does anyone need extra offense/defense?"

Anyway, what's a good medium length, medium complex game on BGA? Gonna play online with some friends, it's always difficult to get people to decide beforehand so everyone can prepare. Then when we finally get started no one can be bothered to learn a new game and we end up playing 7 wonders and Colt Express. Nothing wrong with 7 wonders, mind you, we've planned to play that tomorrow actually. But is there another game that you can sort of pick up and play without reading all of the manual, or that can be explained by someone pretty easily to experienced players? Since we played Viticulture when we last met in person, we might go for that. But I'm interested in Lost Ruins of Arnak and Beyond the Sun too, and they both seem a little dense.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
caylus is medium weight, medium length, but extremely mean and on BGA

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Res Arcana would be a good one that plays well online. It's a pretty straightforward resource conversion/tableau builder with a tight race to 10 points.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
One problem I've run into with new players in spirit island is that often the puzzle is so dense and engrossing that they don't have the bandwidth to communicate. I have no trouble talking through my turns but I think new players can find there are so many moving parts to remember that they tunnel vision on their corner of the map and don't factor in that other spirits might be able to help.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

KongGeorgeVII posted:

One problem I've run into with new players in spirit island is that often the puzzle is so dense and engrossing that they don't have the bandwidth to communicate. I have no trouble talking through my turns but I think new players can find there are so many moving parts to remember that they tunnel vision on their corner of the map and don't factor in that other spirits might be able to help.

that's been my experience as well. in general i think with newer players you want to start with 3p max. Something that is small enough for an experienced player to actively make pushes into helping the other players.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Anyway, what's a good medium length, medium complex game on BGA? Gonna play online with some friends, it's always difficult to get people to decide beforehand so everyone can prepare. Then when we finally get started no one can be bothered to learn a new game and we end up playing 7 wonders and Colt Express. Nothing wrong with 7 wonders, mind you, we've planned to play that tomorrow actually. But is there another game that you can sort of pick up and play without reading all of the manual, or that can be explained by someone pretty easily to experienced players? Since we played Viticulture when we last met in person, we might go for that. But I'm interested in Lost Ruins of Arnak and Beyond the Sun too, and they both seem a little dense.

Kingdom Builder sounds like it would be pretty good for you. The main rules are basically draw a card and place 3 pieces on matching terrain, emphasizing that you must place adjacent if you can. After that there are just the 4 special powers and 3 scoring cards in play that need to be explained which are typically pretty straightforward.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

I have no idea how 6p Spirit Island can even be playable. It is very dense.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
I've had players so overwhelmed by Spirit Island that I've had to do their turn for them (on top of doing my own....). Then I had a player who was like 'oh, I don't take any actions this turn'. And then we lost.

So yeah, for the foreseeable future, Spirit Island is an exclusively 2p game for us.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

dishwasherlove posted:

I have no idea how 6p Spirit Island can even be playable. It is very dense.

I've done it once (with one new player lmao). It took forever, particularly since one of the veterans picked the time-travel spirit. Pretty fun, though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

KongGeorgeVII posted:

Yeah I remember being intimidated as hell the first time I played, and that was just a solo game to make sure I had actually understood the rules correctly.

I really want to give 6P a go purely to justify the thematic tablecloth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

nordichammer posted:

I have some Bloodborne questions after my first play.

- do I need to discard a stat card to use items, hunter tools, or runes? (I don't think so)

- can I have more than one mission active at a time? For example, in the first chapter of the first campaign, you get a mission if you finish a movement on Ransacked House or Courtyard Lamp tiles. Can both of these missions be active at once? (I assume yes, but the central board only having one card slot for missions is confusing)

- if I defeat a monster spawned as part of an insight mission, does it still respawn on blood moons? (I assume no, because they simulate boss fights from the video game and also wow that would be difficult)

- if I discard a card to make a non attack action, do I still get the effect like Draw 1? (I assume no)

- the rules say to shuffle the upgrade stat cards into a single deck, but the cards came partitioned by color, so I just kept the four decks separate. Does anyone else use this house rule?

- when I move and reveal a tile, do I move to a spot on that tile with the same move, or does revealing a tile cost a movement point and then moving onto it cost a movement point? (I assume the former)

- what expansions are worth getting? I am thinking that either one will fit in the box, or I could get two, put all of the minis in the main box, and the not minis into an expansion box. Is that sensible?

- no, items etc don't require another card

- yes, you need to be doing multiple missions at once

- so long as the insight card is still in play, the monster respawns. Typically when you kill a monster that was only spawned by a mission you'll get another mission card that replaces the first, meaning the monster no longer spawns. If you didn't fully kill it, then it does reset to full

- no you don't get effects from discarded cards

- I've never done that, I guess I can see how it would work but I don't always want an even distribution of upgrade cards depending on how I'm building anyway

- yes, revealing itself does not cost a move

- mostly the blood moon box and chalice dungeon for extra hunters and monsters. I had a bunch of the other expansions that added extra campaigns but I don't honestly feel the campaigns are that different to justify getting an expansion just for that. Playing different hunters and using different enemies changes up the game way more imo