Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Arcvasti posted:

I mean, the second memory has you bring back a blooming Everblossom branch that you need for the journey to the west ending, which is pretty hard to do if it was a fantasy/dream.

Could Sekiro have had the branch on his person the whole time and just forgotten about it?

No, present day Owl drops the withered version which is very clearly the exact same item, down to the little ribbon on it.

Could there be two Everblossom branches, one withered and one blooming?

The Divine Dragon is only missing one arm, which implies that the Everblossom tree only lost one branch.

Could going back to an old memory and overcoming your fears cause the withered branch to bloom with buddha magic?

Proobably not? I think you end up literally burning the withered branch to get the special incense.

At the end of the day from soft just loves having really confusing time travel segments in their games I think.

It'd be hard to kill Owl on top of Ashina Castle and pick up the withered everblossom branch if you killed him three years prior under Hirata Estate and picked up the flowering everblossom branch if it was a complete time loop, too. Like you're saying, there was only one broken branch the whole time. And the earlier Hirata establishes that distinct NPCs you kill in it will die for real. It's all real fucky, which is why I said "a fantasy/dream or something" because there's not an obvious answer there.

Lord_Magmar posted:

The first Hirata Estate is the memory of Wolf, who found Kuro, killed Madame Butterfly, and got backstabbed by Owl. The second Hirata Estate seems to involve Owl’s memories of the night, and the fight is Wolf not getting backstabbed because dream magic weirdness.

The memory or remnant of Owl (Father) mentioned he hoped he'd be able to have an even duel to the death with Wolf one day, but he could only get his wish "in an old memory." So there was something about how he died atop Ashina Castle that wasn't as satisfying to him, and something about the memory that seems to separate it from whatever the "reality" of that night was. Who even knows which memories are real or complete though. We don't get any details about that three year period or why Wolf seems to have forgotten a lot of things that happened before it.

I do wonder if they were planning on fleshing that out with DLC that was quietly cancelled?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

I do wonder if they were planning on fleshing that out with DLC that was quietly cancelled?

Probably not? There's no room in the idol warp interface for new areas, for one thing. If anything the boss gauntlets/new outfits that were added were probably more than they originally intended.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Nuns with Guns posted:

It'd be hard to kill Owl on top of Ashina Castle and pick up the withered everblossom branch if you killed him three years prior under Hirata Estate and picked up the flowering everblossom branch if it was a complete time loop, too. Like you're saying, there was only one broken branch the whole time. And the earlier Hirata establishes that distinct NPCs you kill in it will die for real. It's all real fucky, which is why I said "a fantasy/dream or something" because there's not an obvious answer there.

The memory or remnant of Owl (Father) mentioned he hoped he'd be able to have an even duel to the death with Wolf one day, but he could only get his wish "in an old memory." So there was something about how he died atop Ashina Castle that wasn't as satisfying to him, and something about the memory that seems to separate it from whatever the "reality" of that night was. Who even knows which memories are real or complete though. We don't get any details about that three year period or why Wolf seems to have forgotten a lot of things that happened before it.

I imagine that it’s not satisfying to die as an old man instead of in your prime mostly. The fight stop the castle isn’t satisfying because Owl is old basically.

I don’t think a DLC was planned, but if there was one. I suspect it would have been about Tomoe and Takeru. As the DLC tends to be about cool historical figures with vague information in the base game but a connection.

DS1 has Artorias and the Abyss, DS 2 has the other kings and daughters of Manus, Bloodborne has Gehrman and Maria and Laurence’s histories, DS3 sort of breaks this but is kind of about the other sisters of the hollow church and the ringed city and the furtive Pygmy’s truth.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

imo just make an entire prequel with tomoe as player character

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Elden Riiiiinnnnngggggg...

Soooon.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

RatHat posted:

Elden Ring’s story does seem a lot more straightforward than most of From’s games

VaatiVidya about to take out a second mortgage

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

MoaM posted:

Elden Riiiiinnnnngggggg...

Soooon.

50 days

Wild that it was 2 years 1 day between the announcement trailer and the Summer Games Fest gameplay reveal.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

50 days

Wild that it was 2 years 1 day between the announcement trailer and the Summer Games Fest gameplay reveal.

Well, there was that whole "Covid" thing you may have heard of, which does help explain the delay a bit.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I'll have to look up the Vaati video on it.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I have committed a sin and pre-ordered the video game Elden Ring in the year 2022.

Please do not judge me too harshly.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
re: lore videos, Hawkshaw's stuff runs pretty long but is pretty good imo

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

RatHat posted:

Elden Ring’s story does seem a lot more straightforward than most of From’s games

i mean so is Sekiro's for that matter, the previous page's conversation notwithstanding

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

imo just make an entire prequel with tomoe as player character

hell yeah

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Sekiros overall story is fairly straightforward yeah. Its also heavily based on japanese folklore. Most of which I was not familiar with, until I read about them after the fact. But learning about them helped put a lot of the details about the story in better context.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

CottonWolf posted:

I have committed a sin and pre-ordered the video game Elden Ring in the year 2022.

Please do not judge me too harshly.

preordering is the only way you will be considered hosed up and nasty enough for the rest of us

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
I haven't pre-ordered a game since San Andreas, but I'm really kind of considering it for Elden Ring.

I was late to all the other Souls games, and I'm generally fine with being a latecomer to games, but...ehhh...

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Gotta preorder to get in on the triumphant return of the “Well, what is it?” gesture.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
I’m very excited and for some reason I never let the info soak in as I talk to NPcs so I’m always wandering around lost. Gotta make an effort to try and actually listen this time

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Aoi posted:

, but...ehhh...

ohhhhhhhh

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

How do PS5 pre-orders work, do they take the payment straight away or closer to release?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Yeah I definitely want to be part of the zeitgeist for this one. I preordered.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Frankston posted:

How do PS5 pre-orders work, do they take the payment straight away or closer to release?

they take the money right up front

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
taking extra care for the next few weeks to avoid the rona just to be sure i'm not sick when elden ring comes out

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
i preordered the deluxiest version i could. wish i could have gotten that exclusive preorder helmet to wear while i play but alas i was too slow

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Serious injury or worse is the only thing that could keep me from buying the game on release so paying in advance doesn't feel that crazy.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I may be so brain dead to buy this twice just so I can play day 1 while the CE comes in

Lmao

gently caress

Wish we could get a code!

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Brandfarlig posted:

Serious injury or worse is the only thing that could keep me from buying the game on release so paying in advance doesn't feel that crazy.

I'm tempted to take a day off to play it because otherwise I'll have absolutely no time otherwise, but I feel like that's just going to add a world tendency level to it being delayed again

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm saving three rostered days off to take the Friday, Monday and Tuesday off work :)

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

JBP posted:

I'm saving three rostered days off to take the Friday, Monday and Tuesday off work :)

Quoting this when it gets pushed to Wednesday

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Thundercracker posted:

Quoting this when it gets pushed to Wednesday

I'll just change the days!

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Do you have any recommended places to preorder from? I see some stores offering a more attractive pricing proposition than steam's 60€, but then again I don't know anything about the trustworthiness of these.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

re: lore videos, Hawkshaw's stuff runs pretty long but is pretty good imo

I found his videos recently. Really well done.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Vintersorg posted:

I may be so brain dead to buy this twice just so I can play day 1 while the CE comes in

Lmao

gently caress

Wish we could get a code!

That sucks but the more expensive editions being pay to lose is very funny.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

quote:

but...ehhh...
ohhhhhhhh

hehehehehehe...

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Is there a way to get a special PC edition that is also physical?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
You could burn it to a disc

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

You could burn it to a disc

I read this and thought, "this is probably a Dark Souls 2 fan," and sho'nuff

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
It's okay to be jealous of those with more refined taste and higher standards

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Dark Souls 2 is good. It's my least favorite of Fromsoft games (that aren't Lost Kingdom) but it's still better than most games.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013
Man, I've read the posts involved, and I still don't get how got off on this tangent again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
We've all gone hollow...every one...