Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://www.theonion.com/dnc-aiming-to-reconnect-with-working-class-americans-wi-1819579456

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

OK I'm voting GOP now

They finally won

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

stealie72 posted:

And in many places, they're also a source of clean clothes, a source of take home food for the family, a source of social service navigation (especially for non English speaking families), and even a source of Healthcare.

A lot of the nonprofit safety net is accessible from schools, and maybe little Lynklyyn's mom can do her CPA job at home and help her learn, but there are millions of kids for whom that is not an option.

It's one of those cases where shutting schools down / distance learning could be a lot less of a major problem if we had properly funded and working social services elsewhere, but, uh, well, we don't, as you describe all too well.

Another small but unstated value, and one that applies even to kids that have well-off-enough parents, is that school is a place away from your family. If you have a lovely family, school can be the one place you get away from that environment.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
poo poo got real loving stupid, fellas

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Fn Walgreens trying to charge 125 for a home COVID test, yeah no. I’ll just assume this is it and crawl back into bed.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
They're $20 at CVS at the register

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Oh are they scalping tests now

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
virtually nothing has, or could be done to make schools not a hotbed of viral transmission

but because number must go up we did virtually nothing to make remote learning any less of a clusterfuck.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
only trust eugene stoner, the democrats will never save you

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

Wasabi the J posted:

They're $20 at CVS at the register

Doesn’t matter if all the Cvs near me are out of them. Guess I should google covid tests harder.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Tiny Timbs posted:

Oh are they scalping tests now

$125 is probably a mail in PCR test, those have always been very expensive at retail since this started.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hmm, I recall the mail-in tests being more like $40 in grocery stores but I never had to buy one myself

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I've seen them from $40 to like $100, there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it.

The rapid tests I've only ever seen at like $30/2 or less.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that you have to pay for them

:911:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

not only that but there is a massive shortage because they destroyed millions of them

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Seeing the White House spokesperson's brain try to divide by zero at the suggestion in a press conference we just hand them out for free is one of the most darkly hilarious laughs I had through all of 2021. Just a magnificently crystal clear "We are totally and absolutely hosed" moment.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Proud Christian Mom posted:

not only that but there is a massive shortage because they destroyed millions of them

What? Why?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Proud Christian Mom posted:

virtually nothing has, or could be done to make schools not a hotbed of viral transmission

but because number must go up we did virtually nothing to make remote learning any less of a clusterfuck.

Yeah I’m trying to get my kids switched to virtual after I got two emails within minutes of each other of people in both of their class having it today.

Kazinsal posted:

only trust eugene stoner, the democrats will never save you

I thought we were only supposed to trust first?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I remember as part of the 2016 campaign autopsy it was noted Clinton’s staff had annoyed Hamilton staff with excessive requests for comped tickets.

Watch Emma Watson Beatbox For Lin-Manuel Miranda's Rap On Gender Equality

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

There are currently 11 members of 1 of my teams out with Covid.

Here we loving go, let 'er buck and shut this bitch down.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

BAKA! ~Inventory is one of the Seven Wastes!!~

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/20/us/abbott-covid-tests.html posted:

*Updated Sept 29 2021*

For weeks in June and July, workers at a Maine factory making one of America’s most popular rapid tests for Covid-19 were given a task that shocked them: take apart millions of the products they had worked so hard to create and stuff them into garbage bags.

Soon afterward, Andy Wilkinson, a site manager for Abbott Laboratories, the manufacturer, stood before rows of employees to announce layoffs. The company canceled contracts with suppliers and shuttered the only other plant making the test, in Illinois, dismissing a work force of 2,000. “The numbers are going down,” he told the workers of the demand for testing, saying it wasn’t their fault. “This is all about money.”

As virus cases in the U.S. plummeted this spring, so did Abbott’s Covid-testing sales. But now, amid a new surge in infections, steps the company took to eliminate stock and wind down manufacturing are proving untimely — hobbling efforts to expand screening as the highly contagious Delta variant rages across the country.

Demand for the 15-minute antigen test, BinaxNOW, is soaring again as people return to schools and offices. Yet Abbott has reportedly told thousands of newly interested companies that it cannot equip their testing programs in the near future. CVS, Rite Aid and Walgreens locations have been selling out of the at-home version, and Amazon shows shipping delays of up to three weeks. Abbott is scrambling to hire back hundreds of workers.

America was notoriously slow in rolling out testing in the early days of the pandemic, and the story of the Abbott tests is a microcosm of the larger challenges of ensuring that the private sector can deliver the tools needed to fight public health crises, both before they happen and during the twists and turns of an actual event.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

America was notoriously slow in rolling out testing in the early days of the pandemic, and the story of the Abbott tests is a microcosm of the larger challenges of ensuring that the private sector can deliver the tools needed to fight public health crises, both before they happen and during the twists and turns of an actual event.
It's almost as if capitalism isn't a great system for healthcare. Hmm.

Also, the tests don't have super long shelf lives, which doesn't help things.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

MA-Horus posted:

There are currently 11 members of 1 of my teams out with Covid.

Here we loving go, let 'er buck and shut this bitch down.

I started my gov job in July last year and have worked in person the entire time (masked mind you). Now we are back to 100% telework. I think like a third of our team came back from the holidays with covid.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
everyone in america with an ounce of sense and the power to work remotely or segregate themselves from their workforce is doing so but the corporate/political message is back to work, its not that bad and teachers are lazy

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Kamala Harris is probably lucky to be alive.

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1479209995589799939?t=4HhCGimq4eHG0iv0C_jClw&s=19

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1479210938398035969?t=bzYqSPgw3gxhXWRoMlmCUg&s=19

And nobody still knows who planted the pipebomb in the first place - they're so well disguised that the feds don't even know if it's a man or woman.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

stealie72 posted:

And in many places, they're also a source of clean clothes, a source of take home food for the family, a source of social service navigation (especially for non English speaking families), and even a source of Healthcare.

A lot of the nonprofit safety net is accessible from schools, and maybe little Lynklyyn's mom can do her CPA job at home and help her learn, but there are millions of kids for whom that is not an option.

Extreme example:
I work with a youth organization that is in a lovely hood in a Midwestern city that is largely low income and immigrant/refugee. They started because kids had nowhere to go after school and since its tough for a Somali Muslim girl to just pop over to the after school program at the library, and mom and/or dad are working second and third shift trying to get by. So the kids are in gangs, selling drugs, selling themselves, and generally hosed up.

The year this org starts, there are 17 youth homicides in the neighborhood. The organization is massively successful, gets a bunch of kids involved, etc. In 2019, there were zero youth homicides.

Then covid hits and the state shuts down in 2020. The kids once again have nowhere to go, because schools are shut down, and the org is shut down.

In the less than 3 months the program was shut down, two of its kids are shot dead in two different incidents because they were back on the streets.

So yeah, for white liberals in Cambridge and Shaker Heights and Santa Monica "SHUT EM DOWN" makes sense. But for the kids in Dorchester, Cleveland, and Compton, its a loving disaster that we already saw play out once.

You're not wrong about the impact on kids, but you're also completely disregarding the health of the teachers. These are teachers, not soldiers, but a large chunk of the country seems to just accept that some teachers are going to have to die so kids have more structure in their lives.

Teachers in general are incredibly self sacrificing, or they wouldn't be teachers in the first place. Almost any other white collar worker would tell you to gently caress right off if asked to risk their lives in a petri dish for their job. So when teachers stand up and say "nah dawg, this is too risky for me" about in person learning, I'm inclined to listen to them.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

My mother has been a teacher for some 20+ years now, and all I hear is how each year its more a day care and less a education.

They routinely have dozens of 8th graders who are pushed onto high-school while still illiterate with straight F's because its too much effort to fight the parents.

e; I've gotta clarify that on the flipside of that the schools do a ton to help a LOT of kids, and the teachers try to help and do wonderful work, but for some parents it's daycare and that another problem besides kids needing help.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 6, 2022

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

As someone who wants to be a teacher this sure fills me up with hope

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ElMaligno posted:

As someone who wants to be a teacher this sure fills me up with hope

If I didn't land the job I started at this school year, I would have left the profession.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Stultus Maximus posted:

If I didn't land the job I started at this school year, I would have left the profession.

my mother teaches third grade and moved schools this year in an attempt to not be the only experienced teacher in her grade level. for the past 5 years she's just had a revolving door of brand new teachers and long term subs and the extra workload was just too much.

two weeks before school started the district moved the three other third grade teachers to other schools and gave her three more brand new teachers to work with. i think she's done after this year.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

You're not wrong about the impact on kids, but you're also completely disregarding the health of the teachers. These are teachers, not soldiers, but a large chunk of the country seems to just accept that some teachers are going to have to die so kids have more structure in their lives.

Teachers in general are incredibly self sacrificing, or they wouldn't be teachers in the first place. Almost any other white collar worker would tell you to gently caress right off if asked to risk their lives in a petri dish for their job. So when teachers stand up and say "nah dawg, this is too risky for me" about in person learning, I'm inclined to listen to them.
Very good point. Teachers should not have to do all the poo poo they do, and shouldn't be doing social safety net poo poo. They should be teaching while the well-funded schools and social safety net providers deal with the rest. Should have called that out.

BTW, this awesome org only works as well as it does because their Executive Director made a bunch of cash in her original career and can afford to volunteer like 60 hours a week to keep everything running. So workers get hosed. As always.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

M_Gargantua posted:

My mother has been a teacher for some 20+ years now, and all I hear is how each year its more a day care and less a education.

They routinely have dozens of 8th graders who are pushed onto high-school while still illiterate with straight F's because its too much effort to fight the parents.

Oh yeah I was talking to a cousin from across the country who I don’t see a lot who was about to graduate high school, and from trying to play a board game with him quickly realized he barely reads at an early grade school level. Considering all I hear about him from his parents is football achievements they may not have their priorities straight.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I still have 8 years until i retire, and i am looking at teaching in high school or community college as a post military thing. But man they dont care about education in this loving country

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Oh yeah I was talking to a cousin from across the country who I don’t see a lot who was about to graduate high school, and from trying to play a board game with him quickly realized he barely reads at an early grade school level. Considering all I hear about him from his parents is football achievements they may not have their priorities straight.

A guy I know's son started having seizures at 6 and his biggest worry was that he might not be able to play football. This guy has been out of high school for 10+ years and still has photos of him playing HS football in his office

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Here is where I feel stupid: Aren't there serious long term repercussions to cutting back on education spending, keeping wages low, and keeping health care expensive? Like I get that in the short term it is all about pushing money to the billionaires, but at some point, so many people are homeless, sick, and illiterate that things just stop functioning at all levels. Like at some point you stop being able to train new doctors, teachers, engineers, or whatever because people are too dumb to do the job right?

So then everyone suffers, Including the ultra-wealthy and their offspring.
Is that the ultimate goal? Just a total collapse of the system?
Please explain to me what I'm missing, because that doesn't make sense.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
That’s somebody else’s problem. F u, pay me.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

bengy81 posted:

Answering your question with a question - how?

The rich will always be able to find the best doctor, the best teacher, the best X for themselves and their offspring. Even if the "best" becomes marginally worse than in the past, it's still the best. Even if "the system" collapses, they're probably in one of the best positions to profit from it between their connections, employees, potential to make company towns with their own scrip, and so on.

It's just a power thing. Republicans are going to make any education they don't control the enemy - I would expect state budgets for higher education to zoom close to zero as more and more state legislators claim they're just indoctrination mills. Meanwhile, the lower state education will teach that racism is over and democrats are just brain polluters that will transify your children.

The rich want to stay rich, the powerful want to stay powerful, and that's it. That's their ultimate goal. The homeless/sick/illiterate can all be avoided if you're rich/powerful enough.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

bengy81 posted:

Aren't there serious long term repercussions to cutting back on education spending, keeping wages low, and keeping health care expensive?

Not for anyone near power. Hell even cops make shitloads of money compared to teachers etc. When the state wants to use them to crack down on poor's getting uppity they know who's signing the checks.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

BAKA! ~Inventory is one of the Seven Wastes!!~

After those articles came out the company defended itself by saying that they were required to destroy the intermediate stock that had been sitting for more than 6 months. That raises the question of if that’s is indeed all they were doing or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

bengy81 posted:

Here is where I feel stupid: Aren't there serious long term repercussions to cutting back on education spending, keeping wages low, and keeping health care expensive? Like I get that in the short term it is all about pushing money to the billionaires, but at some point, so many people are homeless, sick, and illiterate that things just stop functioning at all levels. Like at some point you stop being able to train new doctors, teachers, engineers, or whatever because people are too dumb to do the job right?

Is that the ultimate goal? Just a total collapse of the system?
Please explain to me what I'm missing, because that doesn't make sense.

Yes, humanity's now centuries long experiment with non-feudal-serfdom economic systems will be remembered as a historical anomaly.