Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Yeah, well, MMO players are fundamentally broken in one way or the other. Still don't know why people think it's more interesting to have dead ends you're never visit and enemies you won't fight.

Hey now, there's at least one dungeon in Endwalker that is filled with dead ends!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

No Dignity posted:

I will say I like boss arenas in ARR not being perfect geometric shapes all the time, there's much more of a sense of place than the abstract combat zones of SB onwards

this started getting phasing out as soon as people figured out a divot next to the kill wall in Twintania's arena could dodge all her divebombs. i doubt any of the encounter designers are in any hurry to bring asymetrical arenas back

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

I want to know who thought up the Tyrant "boss" fight that's essentially just a trash pull with loot.

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013
tyrant is weird cause even when the dungeon was 'hard' they were like that. there's mechanics but they never live to do them

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Failboattootoot posted:

I'm pretty sure that the way the Zu works is that every time you kill an egg, the Zu gets 2 stacks of go gently caress yourself. It will do some kind of dive bomb at some point that does damage based on these stacks and at 8 stacks its probably gonna kill any non-tank it hits. In Ye Olden days you killed the eggs that were going to hatch a cockerel and left the others hatch and killed them that way and that would keep overall damage low. I don't remember what differentiates cockerel eggs from hatchlings though. Also it will take to the sky and keep dive bombing the tank so the tank needs to run around the edge of the arena when this happens.

cockerel difference is that it tethers to someone and keeps barfing on them iirc

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Yeah, well, MMO players are fundamentally broken in one way or the other. Still don't know why people think it's more interesting to have dead ends you're never visit and enemies you won't fight.

It's not the dead ends that are the good part, it's that they don't put barriers every other trash pack so you can always keep it challenging by pulling to your group's limit rather than sleeping through them.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Leraika posted:

cockerel difference is that it tethers to someone and keeps barfing on them iirc

The eggs themselves have a visual difference as well. IIRC cockerels have stripes

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Frankly I hate doing low level content on high level jobs because I feel so neutered. Going through it while leveling up, sure that's fine but after hitting 90 and getting used to the final incarnation, then going back and going a 60 alliance raid without stuff like TBN blows.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I was running Yoko Taro's Wild Ride for glams again today and kept losing damage per second because I reflexively kept hammering the astral flow button after I did a summon/Titan attack.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Noper Q posted:

Is there a way to make specific buffs larger and more obvious? I would find monk much easier to play if I could tell at a glance when I have Leaden Fist and how long I have left on Disciplined Fist. Those two don't stand out enough with the default size, but blowing up the entire buff bar would be too distracting, especially on other jobs.

Thundarr posted:

Unfortunately no. A maintenance buff on yourself is really the sort of thing that should be on the job gauge rather than the buff bar.

This isnt entirely true, you can break out the different buffs/debuffs into separate bars, and make the bar prioritize your buffs first. Not perfect, but it can move debuffs and FC/food buffs away from the important ones.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Gonna be trying P1S tonight in PF. Is there any fancy trick for regular (non-Fourfold) Aetherial Shackles, or is it just a thing people are expected to adjust around?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
There is an option to prioritize your own enhancements on the status bar.

Go to HUD Layout, Status Info (enhancements) and then click the gear.

I don't know exactly what it does, but it probably puts them at the front of the list and keeps them at a more consistent spot. Maybe increase the size of the element or move it somewhere easier to read.

However... There is also an element called Status Info (Conditional Enhancements) that you can enable. Leaden fist in particular is part of that one, but twin snakes is not. I'm not entirely sure what counts as either. You can separate that one out a little bit. Enable it by selecting the Status Info (Enhancements) option again, hit the gear, and select the option to have 4 bars.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah I have FC buffs at 60% in the top corner by the minimap, Buffs and Debuffs are below my avatar (debuffs at 180% size)

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Vermain posted:

Gonna be trying P1S tonight in PF. Is there any fancy trick for regular (non-Fourfold) Aetherial Shackles, or is it just a thing people are expected to adjust around?

Set up the markers in the same way at the fourfold timer strat. You have 4 coloured markers in melee and 4 of the same colour at range. Each person is assigned a marker. If you are in melee and get the red buff, or at range and get the blue buff you switch with the person with the same colour marker as you. If your partner needs to switch obviously you switch with them. This works 100% of the time and you only have to pay attention to if you get the debuff or if your partner does.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zeruel posted:

Frankly I hate doing low level content on high level jobs because I feel so neutered. Going through it while leveling up, sure that's fine but after hitting 90 and getting used to the final incarnation, then going back and going a 60 alliance raid without stuff like TBN blows.

If I ever queue for lower-level content roulettes with a job I'm not actively leveling, it's always as a healer. I find they feel the least gutted by being scaled down most of the time.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Zeruel posted:

There are only certain classes that really feel gutted, to me. Summoner used to be the worst example, and it's still pretty bad to go below 80, honestly. Paladin is pretty boring before you have a magic phase. Reaper is really boring below 70, they just don't have enough going on.

I don't actually mind dark knight though, either you have the fun "ignore mechanic" button or you don't have to worry about it and can spend MP more freely :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Someone mentioned an easy rotation to do all of the level 80-90 crafting with level 80 gear. Does someone happen to recall where that is?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Someone mentioned an easy rotation to do all of the level 80-90 crafting with level 80 gear. Does someone happen to recall where that is?

I would also want this so I don't have to think about redoing any of my bars lol

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

ImpAtom posted:

quote:

/ac Reflect <wait.3>
/ac Manipulation <wait.2>
/ac "Delicate Synthesis" <wait.3>
/ac "Waste Not II" <wait.2>
/ac "Preparatory Touch" <wait.3>
/ac Innovation <wait.2>
/ac "Byregot's Blessing" <wait.3>
/ac Veneration <wait.2>
/ac Groundwork <wait.3>
/ac Groundwork <wait.3>
/ac Groundwork <wait.3>
/echo Craft finished <se.1>

This is the one I used.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
What is the best way to level cooking though endwalker? Leves?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

This is the one I used.

Thank you kindly!

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

CJ posted:

Here's the guide I used, but yeah basically leves, studium quests, and collectable turn ins.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

CJ posted:

Basically just pick a leve or collectible that has cheap/easy materials, and make a ton of it. Then do the studium quests as they unlock, if you haven't already done them for a shared class.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

CJ posted:

Leves and the Studium quests

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I am probably only gonna level up one crafting/gathering class for each "role," I don't know if there's anything super optimal about being omnicrafter at this stage unless you're market baroning and I want to leave some for the beast tribes/customs/new Firmament

RME
Feb 20, 2012

annoying to be reliant on others for midmats

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am probably only gonna level up one crafting/gathering class for each "role," I don't know if there's anything super optimal about being omnicrafter at this stage unless you're market baroning and I want to leave some for the beast tribes/customs/new Firmament

If you're going to craft the 580 gear, you're going to need a mix of ingredients from carpentry (Mempisang Lumber), blacksmithing/armorsmithing (Lunar Adamantite), leatherworking (Amynodon Leather), weaving (Golden Silk), goldsmithing (Rhodium Ingots), and alchemy (Grade 6 Alkahest). You'll also realistically need HQ Tsai tou Vounou or something similar to have a real chance at making HQ 580 gear.

The more HQ mats you can make yourself, the cheaper you can make HQ 580 gear.

Outside of that you can pretty reasonably HQ craft poo poo without HQ mats, so then it just comes down to if you're willing to pay some one for a material you need.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Crafting the 8+3 Facet gear was soul-deadening and I gave up halfway through trying for Aesthete's, it was the closest I've had to having an existential crisis about "why am I doing this"

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

CJ posted:

I did leves up until I could make the Happiness Juice collectable and then just spammed that.

If you plan on leveling ALC much better to leave the Studium for that

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Crafting the 8+3 Facet gear was soul-deadening and I gave up halfway through trying for Aesthete's, it was the closest I've had to having an existential crisis about "why am I doing this"

I mean yeah. Like the only reason I do it is to make fat stacks on the marketboard gear up my FC.

i hate pentamelds so bad

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the reason to level every crafter (except culinarian) is so you can repair everything

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Begemot posted:

There are only certain classes that really feel gutted, to me. Summoner used to be the worst example, and it's still pretty bad to go below 80, honestly. Paladin is pretty boring before you have a magic phase. Reaper is really boring below 70, they just don't have enough going on.

Red Mage is very boring if you get synced under 70. You lose the payoff for melee comboing (cool explosions). Also you can't Verraise under 64. Feels so bad.

Yet another crime the CT spammers in Alliance Roulette will one day answer for.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Reaper and Red Mage are to me the worst to go below 70 on. Not because they are weak but because they feel so loving boring.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Is there an easy rule of thumb to the MNK melee combos? The timing doesn't feel like you just alternate one set then the other. Also what is Celestial Revolution for? Is it just a penalty for doing Perfect Balance wrong? And I guess Six-Sided Star is just a weird sort of disengage?

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
alternate dragon kick and bootshine, alternate twin snakes and true strike, do two snap punches between every demolish
celestial revolution is a consolation prize for messing up perfect balance, you do less damage but still get a nadi
six-sided star is a weird disengage, you hit it if you're not going to be able to hit the boss for a while

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Shot:

Chaser:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

Shot:

Chaser:

Turns out that in the original timeline Black Rose had a vaccine, everyone just refused to use it.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

TGLT posted:

i hate pentamelds so bad

I have come to accept that pentamelding crafting/gathering gear is the only thing that makes me feel alive.

[Edit] I don't even craft to sell things on the market board anymore.

MadFriarAvelyn fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 7, 2022

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Really looking forward to getting to 70 Armorer just because I assume Blanstyr won't be waiting for me in the Crystarium with more stupid contests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

theironjef posted:

Really looking forward to getting to 70 Armorer just because I assume Blanstyr won't be waiting for me in the Crystarium with more stupid contests.

Blanstyr isn't there but they do have Stanblyr