Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Thread Name Master has made a powerful enemy today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Drone posted:

Tim Cook? How many divisions has he got?

:popeye:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Drone posted:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

:discourse:

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

Drone posted:

lol

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Also answer: Arguably quite a lot of divisions, but those divisions are more focused around marketing, developing variants of the iPhone, and so on instead of throwing the Hun out of the Rodina.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
What's the largest sovereign country Tim Cook could successfully invade if he spends his personal wealth on an army?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

GrossMurpel posted:

What's the largest sovereign country Tim Cook could successfully invade if he spends his personal wealth on an army?

Costa Rica?

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

GrossMurpel posted:

Tim Cook has a net worth of 1.4 billion USD. If we assume military assets depreciate over 10 years, that corresponds to an annual budget of 140 million USD, which is the military budget of Nicaragua according to the Internet.

That doesn't mean he can invade anything. I assume Nicaragua could conscript hundreds of thousands of soldiers if invaded by a lunatic US billionaire, and I don't think Tim Cook's mercenary army would have very robust supply lines or much ability to deploy overseas. Defending is much easier than succesfully invading.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

He could start with Nauru, as a test run.

If it succeeds, then there's a base to do logistics from when he attacks, I dunno, Tuvalu.

Doubling your dev and provinces in two wars seems good to me!

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Buying enough Senators that they let you borrow the Marines is historically way cheaper than building a personal army, let all the rubes paying taxes handle the day to day upkeep.

Nova69
Jul 12, 2012

Pretty sure this Tim Cook event chain can actually trigger in Paradox's Dawn of Chaos IV

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Athas posted:

Tim Cook has a net worth of 1.4 billion USD. If we assume military assets depreciate over 10 years, that corresponds to an annual budget of 140 million USD, which is the military budget of Nicaragua according to the Internet.

That doesn't mean he can invade anything. I assume Nicaragua could conscript hundreds of thousands of soldiers if invaded by a lunatic US billionaire, and I don't think Tim Cook's mercenary army would have very robust supply lines or much ability to deploy overseas. Defending is much easier than succesfully invading.

Not to mention he needs to keep enough troops at home to avoid being invaded by other tech companies. Let alone rebellions from Bay Area natives who can't afford rent due to the tech companies driving up housing prices.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

ilitarist posted:

Thread Name Master has made a powerful enemy today.

I'll fess up, it was me that asked for the name change both times lol

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
I have discovered the anbennar mod and it has consumed my life. He is there so much content?

Is there an eu4 thread? The link in the op sends you to Stellaris.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

JosefStalinator posted:

I have discovered the anbennar mod and it has consumed my life. He is there so much content?

Is there an eu4 thread? The link in the op sends you to Stellaris.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3840754

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I really haven’t been following any of the development of Victoria three, but is there any even a remote ETA on when it will be out like say 2022 or is 2023 (yeah kind of feels weird typing those as dates that are in the near future.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's already gone gold, but Everytime someone asks for release they push it back

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

As much as I'd love Q3/Q4 2022 I feel like it's going to be Q1 2023, but I also haven't been following things extremely closely.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Marshal Prolapse posted:

So I really haven’t been following any of the development of Victoria three, but is there any even a remote ETA on when it will be out like say 2022 or is 2023 (yeah kind of feels weird typing those as dates that are in the near future.

Nobody knows yet. The fact that war still had strictly mockup UI in the dev diaries in the past month or so makes me suspect it won't be soon.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
The best Paradox games are the ones that haven't been released yet, so hopefully V3 never is.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Release isn't even technically confirmed because there's yet to be any diaries on straits

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm hoping 23 at the earliest, otherwise it will probably be a half-baked disaster.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
I'm not sure V3 will be great at launch, but Stellaris went from fairly mediocre to my most played Paradox game, so I'm pretty confident V3 will eventually be great. It helps that I really like the period, and really liked all previous Victorić.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I'm gonna bet September 2022 for V3

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

It'll be released the day Elizabeth II kicks the bucket.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Jeoh posted:

Officially you mean.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Jeoh posted:

I'm checking the Steam page but you still can't buy it??

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I played EU4 for like 70 hours over the course of 3 weeks, most of which I had off from work. And then a bunch of CK3 with my fiance. But now I just keep opening either game, starting a new game and then staring at the opening screen for a while, maybe making some decisions, and then quitting. I burned myself out I guess but at the same time really want to play another game and get the magic back :(

feller
Jul 5, 2006

blue squares posted:

I played EU4 for like 70 hours over the course of 3 weeks, most of which I had off from work. And then a bunch of CK3 with my fiance. But now I just keep opening either game, starting a new game and then staring at the opening screen for a while, maybe making some decisions, and then quitting. I burned myself out I guess but at the same time really want to play another game and get the magic back :(

This happens to me too. Sometimes, I can look at the achievements list and find one that interests me enough to get back into it.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

There's nothing wrong with being done with a game, even open-ended strategy/sim games like EU4 and CK3 have a limit on what enjoyment you can get out of them.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
People in the EU4 thread are always talking about a fantasy-themed total conversion mod called Anbennar. Maybe trying that out would help reignite your EU4 interest. I haven't tried it but I had a hard time getting in to Hearts of Iron 4 until I got really into the Fallout TC mod.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Yep, I put it off for a long time since I didn't think it would be much good but it really has completely reinvigorated EU4 for me. It's truly remarkable what they've done with the base mechanics of EU4, and in a certain sense the gamey abstractions of EU4 feel more appropriate to fantasy settings. The way stuff gets mixed and matched is really cool, so for example, the religion that uses the catholicism mechanics doesn't spring up until around 1650 when an enlightenment-influenced monotheistic religious movement with a single centralised church springs up.

The new world also ends up much more interesting, as adventuring companies and settlers from various places strike out on their own and establish independent countries very early into the colonisation process, so you have a much more diverse place that means it's not just an endless parade of sending colonist after colonist.

My first game I took the Goblin tribe squatting in the Central Station of the dwarven railway and turned them into a nation of Victoria 2 players, obsessed with trains, factroys, and political reforms. Now I'm Corintar, on a holy mission to honour their risen goddess, building bridges between the Human and Orcish communities of Escann, and one day soon, waging war on the Emperor of Anbennar to secure Corin' receives the support she needs to win the war in the heavens.

It's a good mod.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Can confirm that Anbennar is fun as hell and got me back into EU4 after kinda burning out on the base game.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
Nthing that anbennar rules. I'd easily put 20 hours into it over break and remained amazed by how ingenious and smooth the integration of DND and EU4 was.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I haven't explored CK3's mod scene so I dunno if there's anything like it out there yet but all the various total conversion mods for CK2 really expanded its lifetime for me. After The End was amazing.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
A Wheel of Time mod would be pretty sweet.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Pakled posted:

I haven't explored CK3's mod scene so I dunno if there's anything like it out there yet but all the various total conversion mods for CK2 really expanded its lifetime for me. After The End was amazing.

As far as I know the scene doesn't really exist yet. There's people who have put out some cool mods with new mechanics for Rome and the Islamic World, but no big conversions yet that I've seen.

I think everybody is waiting for the new DLC with all the court and culture stuff.

E: there is a pretty cool looking LOTR mod for ck3

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 7, 2022

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

There are a lot of cool in-development TCs if you check out the CK3 modding discord. But only a couple of them are “out”, and then usually in some form of beta. After the End included.

I’m sure waiting for RC is part of it, but I assume it’s also just taking awhile to get all the character stuff done. But there are some very impressive results out there.

Anno fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The guy who started TNO is making a fantasy mod for CK3 but I don't know if he's gotten past world-building yet

Edit: Also I think the Game of Thrones mod is getting ported too? I spent like half my time in CK2 just in that mod