Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

MustardFacial posted:

These loving lazy rear end know nothing DevOps motherfuckers.

I notified them on day 1 of the log4j announcement, and they haven't done poo poo about it apart from look at their front end and go "nope, we don't use it there. Problem solved." Meanwhile it's all over their backend. I later on come to find out that they don't actually know how to check for it and instead of asking around or googling for the answer these useless shitpiles just sat there and did nothing. So now I have to go through all of our on-prem stuff and rub their noses in the gigantic shitpile they made, and then go through everything in AWS and do the same.

I loving hate DevOps so much.

For this devops tutorial on fartknocker3000, it only runs kubernetes, you need to install sneak, fart, poo poo, boxy and apple-train. Disable any firewalls, selinux and run as root. Make sure root's password is set to password or else you may encounter problems along the way. Fart requires wall and table 8. Table 8 is not compatible with boxy 3. Boxy 4 was released yesterday but it should work.

If you somehow need to remake fartknocker3000 and didn't take a VM aware snapshot, you have to start over with all your data, the restore solution is still being written by Tommy who is 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Planet: Xeno Prime
*Okay [accounts_manager], I've been told that you and your department are spending several days per week manually keying in transactions from the weighing software over to our database application to bill customers.
I've spent 5 minutes looking in to it, and have found you can just export the transactions from the weighing software and import them via a CSV. I have even tried it myself on my test database.

All you need to do is click this "export" button, set a date range, click this "import" button and you are done. When you are ready to invoice, just press this "Generate Invoices" button. It is that easy! You just need to make sure you do not open and save the CSV with Excel as it will break the formatting.

Seriously, this will save you days of work per week, just do not open and save with Excel!*

~A month later~

*Whats that? You are getting "Customer Not Found" warnings when trying to generate invoices? Did you by any chance open and save the exported files in Excel?

Whats that!? You had to do that as you didn't know Edge saves things in your Downloads folder by default? Opening the download in Excel and saving it to your documents folder was the only way you could find the file?

Whats that!?! You CC'ed the Directors in this email chain, complaining about all the work you will need to do manually and blaming me for not setting things up right?

Wow, sure would be a shame if I replied back with our email conversation and the call recording of me telling you several times not to open the loving file in Excel...

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

If it can be hosed up, they will gently caress it up.

Any chance to have it output as a non-defaults-to-excel file extension, e.g. just anything like .dat, .out...

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

Steakandchips posted:

Any chance to have it output as a non-defaults-to-excel file extension, e.g. just anything like .dat, .out...

.nofuckingexceldumbass

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

ghostinmyshell posted:

For this devops tutorial on fartknocker3000, it only runs kubernetes, you need to install sneak, fart, poo poo, boxy and apple-train. Disable any firewalls, selinux and run as root. Make sure root's password is set to password or else you may encounter problems along the way. Fart requires wall and table 8. Table 8 is not compatible with boxy 3. Boxy 4 was released yesterday but it should work.

If you somehow need to remake fartknocker3000 and didn't take a VM aware snapshot, you have to start over with all your data, the restore solution is still being written by Tommy who is 7.

fartknocker3000 will be deprecated out of nowhere in 6 months in favor of FK4000 beta 1.51.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Push a registry key to change the file association for CSV to Notepad

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
More like DevPlops

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
DevOptional

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

i'm onprem and Azure devops administrator!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Dev let-me-work-from-home-i-hate-field-support ops

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Dev python-and-powershell-scripts ops

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

epic handshake meme of admins coding "hello world" and AI scientists coding "deep learning" with PYTHON underneath.

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Planet: Xeno Prime

Steakandchips posted:

Nah, the weighing software is old as balls and will only allow a user to export as XLS or CSV. I was suprised it worked in Edge with minimal tinkering and wasn't hard coded to IE5 or something.
The company that supplies the hardware said we are the only org running a version this old. They have newer software, but that requires newer hardware with a £100,000+ price tag so yeah not happening.

Thanks Ants posted:

Push a registry key to change the file association for CSV to Notepad

I did think of doing that, but we have other CSV files coming in which they actually need to look at.

For once it had a happy ending though - one of the Directors replied and basically said "You've worked on a computer for 20+ years, you should know how to save a file from a web browser, and if you didn't know that you should ask, so go back and re-export all the files and do it properly this time".

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

Your employer is performing wage theft. They are rolling the dice people don't report them. Its the most common theft in the US.

They could not possibly give less of a poo poo if you report them for wage theft. The chances of them having to pay anything other than the money they already owe are vanishingly small.

Stealing from your employer is crime, stealing from your employees is Just Good Business.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

They could not possibly give less of a poo poo if you report them for wage theft. The chances of them having to pay anything other than the money they already owe are vanishingly small.

Stealing from your employer is crime, stealing from your employees is Just Good Business.

Tell that to the idiot owner of this repair shop

https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/us-dol-files-a-lawsuit-against-man-who-paid-former-employees-final-paycheck-in-pennies

KillHour fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 7, 2022

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I realize you're probably just joking, but...

https://www.ajc.com/news/us-sues-ga-auto-repair-shop-owner-who-paid-ex-worker-in-oily-pennies/K7JIDTQGK5AM5EPAU3J4BN3QHY/?outputType=amp

quote:

According to a complaint filed in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia, the Labor Department is seeking $36,971 in back wages and liquidated damages after investigators found A OK Walker Autoworks and owner Miles Walker violated the retaliation, overtime and recordkeeping prohibitions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.

Even when he does something that is inarguably retaliation, and it gets a bunch of unfriendly media coverage, and the loving FEDS involved... They go after him for a loving slap on the wrist amount, most of which is probably just the back pay he owed, anyway.

If we're going to have prisons, this is the short of person who should be going to one, and instead he's just going to be made to pay what he should have paid in the first place.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

So I think my pod is cracking.

I'm fine with management making decisions I don't agree with, or wouldn't do that way, and quite happy to implement things that have been asked for me. Give me a spec and I'll make you a server or a powershell script or whatever that does what you asked for.

But the boss lately seems to have a massively reduced attention span, probably because of stress from above and can't make a decision and then stick to it.

So I'll be like, "Hey I've done 80% of the thing you asked for, but this bit is an issue would you like me to handle it this way or that way", and then it's all "why are you doing this thing? who told you to do this thing, you know all jobs are suppossed to come through me" and then decide that the thing is a poo poo idea that we shouldn't do, and denies it when I point out that he's the one who asked me to do it.

I've had so many small projects cancelled lately. Yes I document all the things he asks for and I raise a ticket for it and put it in his name but that doesn't count for poo poo as he has an outlook rule to auto filter emails from the helpdesk because he gets too many of them.

Combine that with some decisions that IMO are really bad from a security perspective, and most of the work that I do still have being blocked by people who never respond to emails (we're back in WFH because covid, so I can't wander over and ask them) and it's really hard to find the motivation to start any task I'm given. Even my team leader is like "wait a couple of days and see if he even remembers asking for it".

I'm hoping things will calm down after the big scary migration is over (the one that will cost us a years worth of colo fees if we don't get out of the old datacentre in time) but right now it's just loving depressing.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That sucks and sounds super frustrating. I would switch projects off from tickets and onto something for project management, like kanban. Do daily standups or some sort of frequent check-in with your boss, that way there's more of an understanding and if not, it gets correctly more quickly.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

That sucks and sounds super frustrating. I would switch projects off from tickets and onto something for project management, like kanban. Do daily standups or some sort of frequent check-in with your boss, that way there's more of an understanding and if not, it gets correctly more quickly.

Most of the time he doesn't turn up to standups, and when he does turn up. I'm kinda reluctant to go into detail about what I'm working on because he'll end up canning the thing on me, or making bullshit changes to something that's 95% complete and already agreed with both him and the people who asked for the thing.

As for project management, there's no formal method in place, most of the team are just using spreadsheets. I started making tickets for mine just so there's some documentation (and because half the project requests come in as incident tickets anyway). When they finally started caring about SLAs, I persuaded the helpdesk admin to make a category for projects. Jira was mentioned a while back and the boss flat out refuses as he doesn't want the team to become a dev team so we don't need it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If you use something that generates status emails to him, at least it will get around the rule where he's got tickets going to a black hole. You know, until he does the same for you stuff, but at least you can then say you try to keep him up to date but he doesn't attend meetings and he black holed your updates. He can't say "oh well those get stuck with tickets" if he's specifically doing yours as well.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
Call him out in a polite way? You should have plenty of documentation by now of all the half-baked and unfinished projects.

Also if asking him for opinions is causing problems for you, maybe stop asking for them? Trust yourself and finish it the way you would want them done. If you think the project is a dumb idea try to delay even starting by doing something else worthwhile.

If other people are getting in your way to accomplish his stupid ideas don’t take it upon yourself to champion the project through those people. Instead have them bring up their objections to your manager and have him solve the politics or whatever.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Half the time emails don't get read and he HATEs it if you go direct to one of the other stakeholders or make a decision without his input (I've gotten grief for that a few times, even for just accidentally letting slip information he wasn't ready to tell the other teams yet), everything has to go through him.

It really doesn't help that we're polar opposites in communication style with me much preferring written as it's easier to comprehend and him much preferring verbal (which I'm ok at, but do struggle when it's over Teams). Before covid it wasn't a major issue but since then we've grown massively and the scope of everything we do is so much greater with so many more moving parts.

It's mainly when an existing agreed thing gets changed two weeks later, because even when I follow up a conversation with an email it doesn't get read and then when I show him the email it's just "no that's wrong, I wouldn't have told you that"

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Steakandchips posted:

All fine and dandy, but I guarantee you, once it is up and running, your company will scan to one SP directory or local folder till the end of time, and said dir/folder will grow to hold tens of thousands of scans, such as scan9945667.pdf and it will never be cleaned out and finding anything in it will be impossible.

I'm converting all of the internal scan to folder crap that I inherited to scan to email. I'm not giving them any other options. There's no excuse for them to need anything else in 2022.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Silly Newbie posted:

I'm converting all of the internal scan to folder crap that I inherited to scan to email. I'm not giving them any other options. There's no excuse for them to need anything else in 2022.

Sensible. As someone who has used scan to email, please make sure there’s a phonebook on the scanner and typing in “Ste” for example will lead to a drop down where you can select peoples names from a scrollable alphabetical list, and the use could, for example select “Steakandchips”. This scanner phonebook would be kept up to date via your corporate phonebook.

Otherwise you will receive n number of tickets of where is my scan/email broken.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What if I told you that you didn't need to copy every member of the IT department when you send a new ticket to helpdesk@, because everyone in the department gets a notification of your new ticket being submitted?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Witchcraft

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

But then how would you know my ticket is the most important one?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I worked on a team supporting some clinicians. A particular group of clinicians would email about an issue, be told to submit a ticket, submit the ticket with a description saying they had emailed about it, then send an email stating they submitted a ticket.

It didn't bother me but that sequence of steps just infuriated my teammate every time.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

KillHour posted:

But then how would you know my ticket is the most important one?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I get permission denied when ssh'ing to the server!

Categorization: Critical, Widespread outage.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

"Hey were having issues with our WAF and the new site, we dont have any logs, any specific error messages, any documentation or diagrams on the setup can you help? Oh and no we havent submitted a support ticket with the vendor yet!"

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

look i already DID that for the ticket about my default font in word being times new roman instead of helvetica but now spotify is saying my favorite album is unavailable and i cant work like this!!!!

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

The quickest way to people to look at a message is to tag it as low priority. Everyone is busy using high priority all the time and mentally blocks out the !, but will wonder what a blue arrow means.

That, or attempt a recall on the message.

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.
3rd party contractor calls in this morning because he can't get connected to the VPN - he hasn't done any work for us in 90 days, so his 2 factor token has been revoked.

The Support agent that took the initial call let him know that he will need to work with his supervisor and company liaison to get a replacement token.

Calls back 23 minutes later upset because he talked to his supervisor, but he still can't connect to the VPN. Doesn't want to hear that the act of speaking with his supervisor does not magically reinstate his access.

Oh, well, it looks like a :yotj: back into the world of academia might possibly be in my future. Fingers crossed

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

duffmensch posted:

The quickest way to people to look at a message is to tag it as low priority. Everyone is busy using high priority all the time and mentally blocks out the !, but will wonder what a blue arrow means.

Attempting a recall on a message is by far the best way to insure an email gets read. I don't understand why that is still a feature in Outlook, it is just the worst thing.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

duffmensch posted:

Subject: *** URGENT ****

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I set up an auto-reply for all high-importance messages that gave some information for things people should be doing for urgent issues.

It was really just passive-aggressively forcing people who use high-importance emails to deal with an auto-reply.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Why would someone wait until 4:30 to send in a grumpy email about something being broken "all day"? Why didn't you say anything when you first noticed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Thanks Ants posted:

Why would someone wait until 4:30 to send in a grumpy email about something being broken "all day"? Why didn't you say anything when you first noticed?
If they tell you when they first work out it's broken then you might fix it and then there'll be no excuse to slack off all day and blame someone else.