Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

HiroProtagonist posted:

not positive and i literally could not care less to look it up but i'm almost positive it was 2012, and I think in May of that year? The month I'm not really sure about

October 2012 was the start of the kickstarter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/rpFFRpr.gifv

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
https://v.redd.it/0v1ev92kc4a81/DASH_360.mp4

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

new Theme Hospital lookin good

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Fidelitious posted:

Indeed, him listing Superluminal as active to the Present is quite the overstatement. I did a quick overview of his website through the internet archives. It hasn't really been updated since 2006 except for blog posts up to 2013 where he opines on financial and other topics, revealing that he is some sort of libertarian rear end in a top hat.

https://web.archive.org/web/20190416184033/http://www.superluminal.us/Blog.asp

I'm sure you'll enjoy such edifying posts as "Universal Health Care Financing Problem Solved" and "America...The Land of Opportunity...or Guaranteed Benefits?".

So, this douche being in charge of the economics and direction of the PU is perhaps a good indication of where some of the politics of Star Citizen are derived from.

To be fair, if you're a scammer at heart (and god knows nobody at CIG's upper ranks would be like this, perish the thought!) then it follows that you would pretend to be a libertarian if you were trying to start a hedge fund.

So I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Scamster? yes. Libertarian? he ain't no monster, I think.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

monkeytek posted:

Friends to have in your friend shed:

1. Doctor: for "hey is this normal" questions
2. Lawyer: for "Umm, I think I hosed up"
3. Entertainment adjacent career: for "Can you get me tickets to XXXX?
4. Accountant: for "I have no idea what this poo poo means and the IRS is gonna gently caress me, can you help me? I've got a nice bottle of whiskey!"
5. Cook\Restauranter: for " Bro, I need to impress my new date can you hook me up?"

That's what godfathers are for!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

trucutru posted:

That's what godfathers are for!

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

That's a very vitamin rich sexy bear.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Appoda posted:

I think you've answered your own question. :v:

My question is, has the appearance of even dumber money laundering schemes (NFTs, cartoon apes, etc) cut into Chris's bottom line? Is Star Citizen competing with tech libertarians?

E: how close are we to the 10-year mark on announcement to present? Should be hitting that this year, right?

Is this NFTs of cartoon apes, or am I missing on some grift?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

commando in tophat posted:

Is this NFTs of cartoon apes, or am I missing on some grift?

Have you heard about the algorithmically generated cartoon apes? Bored apes? If not enjoy the rabbit hole

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Wait they're cheating by just making the players a hollow shell!? Where are the organs, the substance!? How unfidelitous. This will never work with credit dismemberment gameplay!

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Chronojam posted:

Wait they're cheating by just making the players a hollow shell!? Where are the organs, the substance!? How unfidelitous. This will never work with credit dismemberment gameplay!

It's just tier .03a bodies, give them a break, they are just a newly formed start up that is underfunded.

At lest be fair to Christ Roberts please.

e: Or the bodies are based on that backer than "feels like death, hollow all the time"

Kosumo fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 7, 2022

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

monkeytek posted:

Friends to have in your friend shed:

1. Doctor: for "hey is this normal" questions
2. Lawyer: for "Umm, I think I hosed up"
3. Entertainment adjacent career: for "Can you get me tickets to XXXX?
4. Accountant: for "I have no idea what this poo poo means and the IRS is gonna gently caress me, can you help me? I've got a nice bottle of whiskey!"
5. Cook\Restauranter: for " Bro, I need to impress my new date can you hook me up?"

6. Construction/Warehousing/Transport: for "hey I need help moving and I have five couches, can you give me a hand I'll pay in beer"

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Is this a CIG community contest to spot an object that dose not no clip through something else ?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Chronojam posted:

Also medical and surgical gameplay… have we finally caught them lying?

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Chronojam posted:

Dwarf Fortress has had fully modelled fidelitous giblets since forever. There was a classic bug where the melting point of Dwarf body fat accidentally got set to 60ºF. This had no effect until the temperature of the dwarf's skin changed, whereupon the body fat of the dwarf would melt and they would die. Such a temperature change could be caused by rain. Any dwarf who went outside when it was raining, would melt to death.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
A positively Stimpirical outcome.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I quite enjoyed the explosively combustible cat blood times, too.

Nothing unusual until cat blood escaped the body in any way and then *fwoosh!*

There was also a dwarf that had all the fat burned off his body by a dragon or such, somehow survived, and was patched up in the hospital with the only available fabric: adamantium cloth.

This turned him more or less invulnerable since he had a pierce/damage proof new skin and nothing left to 'burn' as his fat was gone.

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jan 7, 2022

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
There's a twitter account that lists the choicest DF bugs

https://twitter.com/DwarfFortBugs

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016
Store Citizer: Anaconda Man Cannot Pet The Dog

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

so since this thread is dying slowly every-day with zero action i decided to check out the NFT starcitizen related stuff

people have been 'trying' to make star citizen nft's a thing it seems, there are various star citizen NFT's on opensea, but they all have zero trades, and less than 10 views each

so i think it will be awhile yet until the SC NFT's really take off!

maybe we need a big name to break them out into the metaverse

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Blue On Blue posted:

so since this thread is dying slowly every-day with zero action i decided to check out the NFT starcitizen related stuff

people have been 'trying' to make star citizen nft's a thing it seems, there are various star citizen NFT's on opensea, but they all have zero trades, and less than 10 views each

so i think it will be awhile yet until the SC NFT's really take off!

maybe we need a big name to break them out into the metaverse

https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/1475903608004780040

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
being able to tie my personal identity to the unique serial number on my Call of Duty mans helmet will truly revolutionize the world

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Apparently my friends are totally loving useless because they don't do any of that stuff

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Dr. Honked posted:

Dwarf Fortress has had fully modelled fidelitous giblets since forever. There was a classic bug where the melting point of Dwarf body fat accidentally got set to 60ºF. This had no effect until the temperature of the dwarf's skin changed, whereupon the body fat of the dwarf would melt and they would die. Such a temperature change could be caused by rain. Any dwarf who went outside when it was raining, would melt to death.

Because fat was the flammable bit, if you could get a dwarf to survive having that layer burned off, I think they'd be immune to further fire damage effects

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
Space catte spotted at SpaceX spaceship building site:

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Given my profession as a web developer, I did indeed look into Web3. After some reading I have determined that Web3 doesn't actually mean anything at all besides some people going "Heyyy mannn, what if the web was decentralized and on the blockchain?" No concrete details on what that actually means or why it would be a good thing.
The only people who care about this nonsense are crypto dorks.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Fidelitious posted:

Given my profession as a web developer, I did indeed look into Web3. After some reading I have determined that Web3 doesn't actually mean anything at all besides some people going "Heyyy mannn, what if the web was decentralized and on the blockchain?" No concrete details on what that actually means or why it would be a good thing.
The only people who care about this nonsense are crypto dorks.

What I've seen of Web3.0 means: the same as we already have, except lots of things added to pay for it.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Beta starts with Web4

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Slight downgrade to 890 interior

https://clips.twitch.tv/PlainHonestEmuNinjaGrumpy-HMD6fhl3b0d_1JAT

Use this while waiting for SotA crossbow

https://clips.twitch.tv/GenerousTangibleDonutChefFrank-tzgRK9_cmRc1vwwv

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

quote:

Building "The best drat space simulator" has been their aim for a long time now and the original vision as much as it would have been cool... it would not have met that goal. There's no guarantee that what they're going for now will meet that goal, but quite frankly it's already competing at that level with other games both games that are direct competitors and games that aren't and it has a long way to go so it has a lot of room for improvement that if (and it's still a big if) it can actually improve then I think it very likely will become not just the best drat space simulator out there but potentially the best video game period.

Now of course that's a bold claim but when you consider that with stuff they've outlined... SC isn't just gonna be a space sim. It's going to end up being a game where people can effectively live an entire life and it might very well end up having content for people who traditionally wouldn't like space sims. Like being able to farm for example. Being able to do science. Hell if they can give each planet enough content like they want then someone could potentially just pick a random planet in the verse and live there making their living on that planet without actually having to go into space. Or if they do want to they can hitch an NPC or player transport and be taken to a new planet where they can visit.

The point is... SC is already oozing potential and all they have to do is achieve their goals. That's it. If they can do that this game is gonna blow everything else out of the water. Or... maybe it'll crash and burn who knows but until we get server meshing we won't really know.

quote:

We get an email every month detailing work done on Squadron 42. We have the Roadmap.

Squadron 42 is the house, you just think the Alpha test bed is the PU that is planned for the future. It's not, it's a limited test bed. Read the Roadmap... see all the features they have worked on that aren't in the PU yet, listed for both Squadron 42 and the PU:

quote:

AI Dancing: Dancing is a segment of our new civilian AI leisure behavior. After work, some civilians will have the urge to spend time at a nightclub and dance the night away. This will bring new life and movement to our bars.
AI Leisure: Dancing is a segment of our new civilian AI leisure behavior. After work, some civilians will have the urge to spend time at a nightclub and dance the night away. This will bring new life and movement to our bars.
AI - Off duty activities - Hygiene: The sleeping behavior is a segment of our new civilian behavior system, making the AI feel more realistic by scheduling toilet breaks, sometimes washing hands, and increasing hygiene values by taking daily showers.
AI - Off duty activities - Sleeping: The sleeping behavior is a segment of our new civilian behavior system, controlling how the AI sleeps, relaxes, and socializes in bed. We will support single beds, bunk beds and beds with privacy shutters in this first iteration.

Just some of the items on the roadmap that suggest this is no Call of Duty mission to mission only game - you will have off duty time and you will go to areas that are not military bases or military ships.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Seeing them talk about server meshing makes me feel like I'm in the Monty Python parrot sketch.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Theoretically what is server meshing and how could it be implemented. Like what would it allow and how could it change things

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

quote:

Dense and complex games (and make no mistake, this is among the densest and most complex) have always had a steeper hill to climb to get into the game. Then, take a dense and complex game and add "early testing phase" and you've got a recipe where that hill is steep indeed.

Several of us veterans were in chat last night helping out a new person asking for help. In short order, he thanked us immensely as we helped him navigate many of the bugs and issues he was encountering (many bugs/issues have viable work arounds that eliminate them as points of frustration/game impactors).

Once you get past those? The game on offer is glorious beyond compare. I play 5+ hours a night, ever night of the week. I have not died or lost a ship in (knocks on wood) seven days, and had only one mission not work for me in that timeframe.

Those experiencing a much different experience may ask "how???". I eluded to it above, but it's really crafting your experience in a few ways:

Figure out which bugs can be overcome. knowledge is power, and knowledge of the bugs and what to avoid and how to overcome them is probably the most important thing you can invest time in for improving your SC experience. Most widespread bugs are well-documented, and the workarounds are solid. Here are a few examples:

- Don't wear a backpack if you have a ship with a ramp. Backpack + ramp = blows up ship quite a bit. Since not wearing a backpack on a ship with a ramp? ZERO blow ups. Bug THWARTED!

- Don't do missions that are currently buggy. There are many. There are many more that aren't buggy at all. This changes with each patch and each dot release within a patch cycle, so do some Googling and make a list of missions to avoid. The ones that work, work well, so if you stick to them your experience is going to be 100 x better.

- Small but important little bits of knowledge that can save you a lot of grief: ship won't pitch or yaw? Tap right shift a few times. Can't get QT to engage? Unspool, drift off target for a second, realign and respool - fixed! Ship blowing away in a storm at an outpost? Hit "I" to shut off your thrusters before exiting your ship.

So, so many of these that improve the quality of the experience, but there simply is no short cut in learning these things.

SC rewards "time in seat" like few other games out there. I have a different recommendation than the OP (though I can fully appreciate his frustration). If you just stick with it, commit to learning the quirks and workarounds, it won't be long before you probably stop playing any other games and commit to SC like many of us veterans have.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:
I pride myself on being a stubborn rear end in a top hat who doesn't give up, but holy poo poo.

Shart citizens are something else.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Burkion posted:

Theoretically what is server meshing and how could it be implemented. Like what would it allow and how could it change things

Originally it was going to be the thing that fulfilled Chris Roberts vision of a single massive server with thousands of players all together at the same time and all items persisting permanently (drop a coffee cup in the woods of a planet and come back 2 months later and it's still there). That has since been down graded by CIG to some franken version of instancing just like every other MMO has ever done but even then the details are very sparse and there are tons of game play considerations such as land claims that now seem contradictory to the original vision of a huge single server.

Of course CIG hasn't actually expanded on how this is going to work because it's incredibly obvious to anyone who isn't a die hard backer that they never actually thought it through and "server meshing" is just CIGs excuse to placate backers that they will figure it out someday... hopefully.

.random
May 7, 2007

Popete posted:

Originally it was going to be the thing that fulfilled Chris Roberts vision of a single massive server with thousands of players all together at the same time and all items persisting permanently (drop a coffee cup in the woods of a planet and come back 2 months later and it's still there). That has since been down graded by CIG to some franken version of instancing just like every other MMO has ever done but even then the details are very sparse and there are tons of game play considerations such as land claims that now seem contradictory to the original vision of a huge single server.

Of course CIG hasn't actually expanded on how this is going to work because it's incredibly obvious to anyone who isn't a die hard backer that they never actually thought it through and "server meshing" is just CIGs excuse to placate backers that they will figure it out someday... hopefully.

Wrong, friendo :smuggo:

Server meshing is using dozens, hundreds, thousands of servers seamlessly in the cloud to provide a seamless experience for all players at all times. Dynamic server meshing will include a single server sometimes representing a huge swath of space, sometimes representing a single capital ship such that a bullet fired from within your server will seamlessly traverse 14 other servers and be observed by players on those servers before embedding itself in another player’s capital ship, hosted in a 15th different server. As a project manager at a Fortune 5000 meat slaughterhouse, I can tell you this will work seamlessly using a pub/sub event driven system in FTR (Faster Than Real-time) architecture.

In its tier 0 implementation, Turbulent will be doing the easy work and implementing “static server meshing” which OP notes will use “instancing” techniques because basically the engineers at Turbulent aren’t as smart as those at CIG and they can only implement this kind of simple system. But once they transition to t1 implementation, hoo boy, you better hang on to your kilt, buddy.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Burkion posted:

-A single server will never be able to handle that many players connecting from all across the globe in a real time twitch-based dogfighting game!

Chris Roberts: Just add more servers.

That's it. There is no coherent plan or tech behind the whole thing. Theoretically it can be any thing and it can be implemented in any way.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah that all tracks.

In theory a single massive super server is possible, but not with the tech we have and probably not for a long rear end time to come. Nevermind the technical nightmares even if it was possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Like Popete said, the dream is dead.

CIG themselves announced they had no intention of trying it anymore, ten damned years into the project. Yet the citizens are still waiting for it, because the news was dropped in the middle of their painfully dull 7 hour citcon and them just redefining what server meshing was supposed to be.