Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

OoohU posted:

In the options there's a thing to enable a colored outline that'll display what you're aiming at it's off by default (very dumb) so you should turn it on and that'll probably help you a ton.

This changed the game for me, what the hell.

Having a good time with PZ, I don't know why the helicopter follows you around.. like why are you doing that dude.

I'm finally getting to the point to where I'm messing with vehicles and living 5-7 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

nuketulsa posted:

Having a good time with PZ, I don't know why the helicopter follows you around.. like why are you doing that dude.

There are any number of funny images explaining that. Best one I saw was a crazed religious dude hanging out the side shouting at the character the they needed to repent.

LonsomeSon posted:

a survival game where you run an organ farm, puppy mill, and drug den?!

Excuse me, I shall have you know that the puppies I sell are at least two quadrums old before I sell them to a passing trader.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

nuketulsa posted:

as the past couple of years have shown, the government doing breathtakingly stupid poo poo in the name of trying to help is actually pretty realistic

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

as the past couple of years have shown, the government doing breathtakingly stupid poo poo in the name of trying to help is actually pretty realistic

I could buy that if the helicopter does literally anything but follow you around, but it doesn't actually do anything besides that, correct?

Vulpine Complex
Apr 13, 2007

Frank West is in that helicopter and he’s getting mad prestige points while documenting your struggle.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

LonsomeSon posted:

a survival game where you run an organ farm, puppy mill, and drug den?!

I think the poster above you was sarcastic since it looks literally like a Rimworld mod.

e: that said, I would actually pay for a DLC that would make Rimworld more solo survival-y while the rest of the world was still playing regular Rimworld

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Vulpine Complex posted:

Frank West is in that helicopter and he’s getting mad prestige points while documenting your struggle.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Umbreon posted:

I could buy that if the helicopter does literally anything but follow you around, but it doesn't actually do anything besides that, correct?

a CDC rep is in the helicopter and he's urging you to get vaccinated

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
My thing in Zomboid a couple years ago was to grab a police vehicle and a campfire kit, drive somewhat near a large group of zombies, get out, light the fire, turn the siren on, and retreat nearby to watch the horde stupidly burn itself to death. This didn't always result in the entire downtown area burning down, though that would happen often enough.

I don't know if you can still do that.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

gently caress it for $10 I’ll bite.

Won’t be able to play it till later this week but it looks pretty good tbh.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

MarcusSA posted:

First impression is it's a little shallow/repetitive but about what you'd expect. The big problem I had was that it's a randomly generated infinite world with progress gates based on finding specific encounters, but no way to seek those out except randomly wandering. My first world, I bumped into the first "boss" within 5 minutes. I had to restart the world early on, and in my second world I just wandered aimlessly for almost two hours trying to find it so I could progress.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

I'm interested, but the fact that nearly 100% of the art comes from RimWorld sits weird with me. RimWorld has a functional style that isn't particularly interesting to look at, so I guess I'm not sure why it in particular. I do recall that Tynan borrowed assets from Prison Architect at the very beginning of development and maybe this is similar, but I'm a little baffled about the choice unless it is to ride RimWorld's coattails.

I also put hundreds of hours into RimWorld in EA and haven't been able to force myself to play more than 10 hours of the full release, so maybe I'm just sick of the sight of it. Ah well, I think I just finished all the content that will ever be produced for Scrap Mechanic, so I'll probably give it a shot anyway.

BrianRx fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 3, 2022

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Animal-Mother posted:

My thing in Zomboid a couple years ago was to grab a police vehicle and a campfire kit, drive somewhat near a large group of zombies, get out, light the fire, turn the siren on, and retreat nearby to watch the horde stupidly burn itself to death. This didn't always result in the entire downtown area burning down, though that would happen often enough.

I don't know if you can still do that.

I'm not sure if the campfire kit works for that - great idea though - but Molotovs are the preferred method for siren enabled mass-clearing like this, yes.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Wow, adding the outline to Zomboid + just playing a strong/athletic character and bashing zombies has made the game so so much more accessible. Thank you for the suggestions, enjoying this way more now!

E: Tho a couple days of active looting in i somehow haven’t found any cigarettes (I have the smoker trait) or a hammer.

tildes fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jan 5, 2022

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

if you took the Lucky trait, whenever you do find cigarettes you will find like 2000 of them (unless they fixed that). Rarity of tools is a really big throttle on loving everything in Zomboid, your best bet is either to visit one of the really good hardware stores or to go house to house in one of the rich neighborhoods with garages. more like garage to garage, don't bother looking inside the houses unless you need food.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I also want to echo "please stop trying to sneak" when you're learning zomboid. Press the button, sure, but walk up to a group of zombies and start hitting them.

Tips:

There's an option in display for aim outlines, turn it on. It's amazing at letting you gauge how far away you can hit a zombie from with a weapon, its further than you think!

In multiplayer, if its purely a co-op server, you can turn on a button under accessibility to leave the key in the car when you turn it off and get out. It's amazing. If you want a car for yourself you can still manually take the key out, but this has stopped 99% of "poo poo, i need this car, can someone hotwire it".

Gun wise: Stop being so scared of them, when you're good with them you are basically unstoppable. I currently have 75 bullets of 9mm in mags on me, in addition to 80 bullets of .308 in my m14. We walk up to a group and I can clear them all in moments, its ridiculous. I actually killed a horde by doing donuts around them firing my pistol out the window earlier while my passenger kept throwing mags in the glovebox for me. It was amazing.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

if you took the Lucky trait, whenever you do find cigarettes you will find like 2000 of them (unless they fixed that). Rarity of tools is a really big throttle on loving everything in Zomboid, your best bet is either to visit one of the really good hardware stores or to go house to house in one of the rich neighborhoods with garages. more like garage to garage, don't bother looking inside the houses unless you need food.

For cigarettes you mostly need to hit up gas stations, otherwise they'll drop rarely on zombies themselves.

I've never seen the 2k drop with lucky.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Thank you for all the tips! I still haven't hit up any gas stations, hardware stores, or done too much residential looting -- I've mostly just cleared out the northern part of rosewood (e.g. shops, gated community, etc). So sounds like that will be the next stop.

I also just realized that apparently you can check gloveboxes etc for car keys?? I'd basically just been checking trunks or looking for keys on zombie corpses, and it seems like that is totally not the way to actually get a car.

One other thing -- I'm thinking about eventually just throwing on a few of the map mods and transferring our characters over, just so that we can get all the extra places to look at. Is this something other people have done/would recommend? I realize that I haven't even seen most of the vanilla map, but if we are going to be on this multiplayer server for a long time and stuff like Raven Creek is cool/can just be ignored if you want, I might think about switching to it sooner than later.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

People also frequently miss that if you look closely On the ground you can often find car keys for parked cars near by in parking lots and things. They’re hard to spot and look like a pavement crack.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Anime Store Adventure posted:

People also frequently miss that if you look closely On the ground you can often find car keys for parked cars near by in parking lots and things. They’re hard to spot and look like a pavement crack.

Search mode can help here, it picks up small items like keys.

tildes posted:

One other thing -- I'm thinking about eventually just throwing on a few of the map mods and transferring our characters over, just so that we can get all the extra places to look at. Is this something other people have done/would recommend? I realize that I haven't even seen most of the vanilla map, but if we are going to be on this multiplayer server for a long time and stuff like Raven Creek is cool/can just be ignored if you want, I might think about switching to it sooner than later.

Do what you want, but at the same time, there's a ton on vanilla map especially with Louisville added.

Other thing to check for car keys are local zombies, but that only holds true as long as the zombies haven't moved much. The building the car's parked in front of will also sometimes have keys in a drawer.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Is there a goon zomboid server?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
is it actually feasible to level up fitness or strength? seems absurd how little exp you get from doing it

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Verviticus posted:

is it actually feasible to level up fitness or strength? seems absurd how little exp you get from doing it

Over time, yeah, but you ideally should find a barbell or dumbbell, those provide far better exp while exercising than sit ups/push ups/burpees. And by time, I mean like a month or two.

The slow tick during play is rather little. If you're playing the build a base style, once you've gotten to the point of farming/trapping/fishing and have a secure perimeter, you can spend the time exercising (under health tab) significantly in order to build up the regularity bar so you stop getting painful a few hours later.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

lmfao it do be like that. good for him. good for him.

Verviticus posted:

Given how powerful those two stats are they are intended to be long-term goals to work towards once you're in midgame, it's not like going out and smacking some zekes around with a rolling pin to get a weapon skill up in no time.

tildes posted:

I've never played Multi PZ but there are a few maps well worth looking at if you want to expand your game area. Slocan Lake is a classic, I really like Grapeseed (His other big one, Blackwood, I like less but it's still got a cool vibe of a place where things went to poo poo with enough time for some folks to try to survive, making a nice change from the vanilla map.) Glenport is a pretty decent mid-sized town I liked for an urban feel prior to Louisville arriving. I would avoid Xonic's Mega Mall, it's all great in terms of design and layout and it also crushes your framerate into nothing.

Kingsmouth is cool as poo poo, got a nice big island that varies between some nice defensible fancy homes and an incredibly densely populated tourism quarter that I stumbled into like a dipshit one time and had some real Escapades trying (and failing) to get out of. However, if you want to get to and from the island you need the Aquastar Yacht Club mod and that currently has a big warning on Steam saying DO NOT USE IN MP so :shobon: wait or take a look in SP.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I put a good 4 hours into this today and it’s pretty fun so far. It definitely has some kinks to iron out but definitely worth the $10.

It only took about an hour to make the survival part trivial. I’m gonna play it more tomorrow and probably put it on the shelf for a while though.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
It looks interesting, gives me some Crashlands vibes.

Speaking of which, that game was pretty fun. Is there anything with similar action (ie action rpgish vs colony management) that scratches that itch? Keplerth seems worth a try but also still looks pretty unfinished

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Sometimes in Zomboid, I feel like I'm swinging my weapon in slow motion. Is that a consequence of the weapon itself, like a heavy pipe or something not meant for weapon use, or is there something wrong with my character? It's like... really slow.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

Sometimes in Zomboid, I feel like I'm swinging my weapon in slow motion. Is that a consequence of the weapon itself, like a heavy pipe or something not meant for weapon use, or is there something wrong with my character? It's like... really slow.

Yes to any and all. It could be negative moodlets (sad, pain, exhausted, etc,) some weapons are slower than others as well.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Yes to any and all. It could be negative moodlets (sad, pain, exhausted, etc,) some weapons are slower than others as well.
At the time, I had no moodlets, so I assumed there might be some hidden factor that influenced it (fitness level maybe?) or it was just a bad weapon. Guess I'll keep looking, since most of my fights tend to be just shoving and stomping at this point.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

If you have an arm injury or pain (like from exercise) that slows combat. Leg injuries or pain slow movement. Check your health tab.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

HelloSailorSign posted:

Over time, yeah, but you ideally should find a barbell or dumbbell, those provide far better exp while exercising than sit ups/push ups/burpees. And by time, I mean like a month or two.

The slow tick during play is rather little. If you're playing the build a base style, once you've gotten to the point of farming/trapping/fishing and have a secure perimeter, you can spend the time exercising (under health tab) significantly in order to build up the regularity bar so you stop getting painful a few hours later.

does exercise matter if you have your base built? seems like it’s a good investment of starting character points

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

well yeah strong/athletic are hands down the best things you can spend starting points on.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Yeah, a strong starting character means you melee well, and a fit starting character means you can run or fight for a longer time.

Both those traits are such longer term works that they fit more in to the mid and late game which doesn't exist.... yet.

In the last news from Indie Stone, sounds like they're working on what that late game is going to be. Sounds like a way to make NPCs have settlements that develop over time and perhaps the player can take part in trade/combat between the groups. While obviously LMAO Indie Stone timelines, they're sounding oddly positive regarding how much NPC stuff they've already got that they could start working on and I'm fairly confident the recent popularity has probably provided a funding boost.

But I'm generally in a situation where my base is fairly fortified or the area decently safe by late August, so getting into the winter is when I'm working on strength/fitness. I'm only working on fitness/strength when feeling safe due to the exercise fatigue debuff you get when you work out a lot impeding survival in combat/looting, but those who either are playing with friends or who can play riskier than I could level up more during the earlier stages. Taking a strength malus for the significant point gain and then working yourself out of it while others manage the things you're bad at (as you provide what you're good at) is possible.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
If it takes a month or two of fairly focused work to get Strength or Fitness up by a single point, how long do they expect our characters to survive? Because it feels like if any character lives that long they'll probably be so well off there won't be much left to do, and you'll already have gotten bored and started a new character.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I think the intended survival length is kind of addressed in their latest post: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/108600/view/3137320076867149347

e: to add content to this useless post, they intend to add more things to do late game and also allow people to become self-sustaining

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

The basic exercises seem like they’d take 1-2 months of dedicated work to raise stats, but the barbell and dumbbell workouts give what seems like 3x the exp. You just have to find those items (lockers are where I usually find them).

Edit: checked the wiki, it’s 2x difference

HelloSailorSign fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jan 8, 2022

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

High levels (>6) of strength and fitness are so time consuming to improve that they are effectively not possible to achieve in multiplayer without taking strong and athletic at character creation. Skill gain for everything else is trivial by comparison with fast learner, skill books, and videos (even without the exploit).

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
stout and organized are great starting traits as well when paired, which makes exercising kinda moot.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Astroneer is on sale for $15 but how is it? I didn't realize the game came out in 2016.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

My experience was that it had good ideas but didn't know how to make the intermediate steps interesting so it opted to make everything incredibly tedious instead, with every major update taking a previously simple mechanic and making it way more annoying, and with the in-world inventory "UI" going from cute to frustrating as the game added more production chains and more items/resources to go with them. Overall I'd recommend it but if you have low patience for the grindy part of survival games then beware.