Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Minera posted:

hope every carposter itt stalls at an active train crossing

Not gonna lie, it is better than I deserve. But at least I've been driving the same 2004 Civic for the last 18 years. Call it the least worst car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
What you want is a KTM 500excf on / off road motorcycle that will allow you to go literally anywhere on the planet in ways four wheeled vehicles could only imagine

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
They're also very quiet and emissions clean

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Minera posted:

hope every carposter itt stalls at an active train crossing

ok foamer

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

dirt bikes are the best for offroad stuff

but using a motorcycle to go to work or for any freeway driving is the best for dying a horrible death

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

Leroy Diplowski posted:

My actual bug out plan is permanently borrowing one of these puppies from the local sailing club.

Sleeps 4, room for months of provisions, renowned for heavy weather handling, has windvane and watermaker, needs no fuel to cross oceans, could make it to Europe eventually, offers potential of exciting death by pirates.

gently caress that, death by pirates? be the pirate

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

500excf type r posted:

What you want is a KTM 500excf on / off road motorcycle that will allow you to go literally anywhere on the planet in ways four wheeled vehicles could only imagine

conflict of interest spotted

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

Alobar posted:

lol carjackings will make a big comeback, i think
i've seen someone get carjacked, it doesn't look that hard
fwiw, carjackings in cleveland are absolutely insane right now.

Leroy Diplowski posted:

My actual bug out plan is permanently borrowing one of these puppies from the local sailing club.
Sleeps 4, room for months of provisions, renowned for heavy weather handling, has windvane and watermaker, needs no fuel to cross oceans, could make it to Europe eventually, offers potential of exciting death by pirates.

you a member of the Wild Pines, Joyce?

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

Kicked Throat posted:

Bullets can be exchanged for goods and services.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

carjacking is in the news everyday now in nyc too

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I was wanting one of those segway edirtbikes and figure out a way to charge it up over a day or 2 with solar and leave society behind

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

tiberion02 posted:

fwiw, carjackings in cleveland are absolutely insane right now.

Real hurthling! posted:

I can't possibly imagine what underlying cause would be fomenting that sort of civil unrest. Better increase police budgets

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

lots of kinkshaming about those carjackers I bet

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

in ny thieves set up ambushes for delivery riders at night who were returning home to the bronx from manhattan to steal their ebikes. the riders were getting no help from cops so they set up a rally point and were only traveling across the ambush-laden bridges in a critical mass of riders.
i would not want to be trying to flee a city alone on a fancy electric dodad

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

only trust your calves, wheels will never help you

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

i'm looking at my local classifieds, and while a used 2014 KTM dual-sport might set me back $6000, for only $150.00 i could get this eco-friendly car-ternative:

also someone's giving away a purebred horse down in Medicine Hat but the listing gives me pause:

quote:

My husband calls her his "girlfriend" (and I'm surprisingly ok with that) [...] She is believed to be in foal and I would like the foal back upon weaning.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNcwBRMdjmc

munce
Oct 23, 2010

Massive increase in lightning in the arctic in the last few years. This seems ominous somehow.

https://twitter.com/angelafritz/status/1478786108397961226

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/PageSix/status/1479302297704448003?s=20

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

munce posted:

Massive increase in lightning in the arctic in the last few years. This seems ominous somehow.

https://twitter.com/angelafritz/status/1478786108397961226

i saw that yesterday and was just like, well, what is there to even say

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

throw it against a graph of how often it's rained in the arctic

or inches of rain per year or whatever i dunno

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY7ndEMBam8

disclaimer: do not literally kill anyone, this is just a song, a form of expression, it is

it's satire

:rubby:

if i get probed, goodbye friends ;_;

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

unfortunately this doesn't appear to be ironic, probably because of the problem where there's little cross pollination between different branches of academia

which is a major contributor to why things can tend to have larger systemic effects than what individual scientists can predict :dance:

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Koirhor posted:

I was wanting one of those segway edirtbikes and figure out a way to charge it up over a day or 2 with solar and leave society behind

A steel framed cargo bike with off-road tires would be infinitely more useful

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Let’s stop making this climate change mistake
https://money.yahoo.com/lets-stop-making-this-climate-change-mistake-151934749.html

quote:

Climate change reportage routinely declares we are destroying the planet, wrecking the Earth and imperiling the world, as if the entire geologic mass is about to go poof. The countdown is on for the number of years—50? 30? 10?—we have to save the planet.

These characterizations are not quite right—and overstating the consequences of a warming climate may already be undermining efforts to take needed action. A warming climate is undoubtedly changing the planet in ways dangerous to humans and other living things. But the Earth isn’t on fire, and the planet itself is not endangered. What we’re damaging is our own habitat, and those of other species. The planet will carry on one way or another.

quote:

the Earth has been as warm as it is now at least three times during the last 400,000 years, according to data from Columbia University’s Earth Institute. Species have come and gone, but a warming climate has never threatened the Earth itself.

quote:

Yet existential alarmism is counterproductive when public support is crucial to addressing a problem as vast as climate change. Most people, if told the planet is on fire, can look around and plainly see that it’s not. Others may feel a sense of dread and think it’s pointless to do anything, if we’re really doomed.

Even people who know climate change is making floods, fires, droughts and storms worse can rightfully ask how urgent the problem really is and how much climate activists exaggerate. For all the people killed and displaced by freakish weather, there are many more who still don’t feel any direct impact from a warming planet—and might even think a shorter winter in northern climes would be welcome.

quote:

Plainer truths about climate change, and what’s at stake, won’t make it an easy problem. But realism will be essential to generating the public support required to move the needle.

Exaggerating a reality that’s already bad enough may slow our reaction time rather than speeding it up, since separating fact from fiction always entails delay.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Xaris posted:

i saw that yesterday and was just like, well, what is there to even say

lol & lmao

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Rectal Death Adept posted:

quote:

But the Earth isn’t on fire, and the planet itself is not endangered.
someone do the always sunny title card for this

i can't manage more than a grim chuckle

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
you claim the earth is on fire yet I see no flames, checkmate atheists

no, not those flames

no, not those flames either

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
i like the "we're in a car that has already been driven off the cliff, and punching the driver doesn't help anything"

but i prefer the metaphor of "we're on a roller coaster and the clicking just stopped and we're about to go down the first drop, lol good luck trying to punch anyone else riding along, the guy controlling the whole thing isn't even on the ride. oh btw the safety bar didn't come down. have fun!"

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Well, the idiot is just factually wrong.

Morally, too.

If you think a shorter winter in the north is welcome, you are just hilariously dumb in every possible way and should take a vow of silence.

If you think most people aren't already affected, you're exceedingly good at ignoring reality.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

money.yahoo.com

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

SKULL.GIF posted:

money.yahoo.com

I'm glad Number has weighed in on the climate crisis, I was wondering what it was thinking

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
number knows earth will still be orbiting the sun in 1,000,000 years so you better get in on the ground floor when returns like that are guaranteed

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

sure, the outer layer of earth’s crust is done for, but the mantle and core are still pristine! over 99% of the planet by volume is untouched by man, so I say it’s extremely anthropocentric to claim the planet is “ruined” based on the tiny fraction humans inhabit

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
People are complaining we might blow up the entire planet, shattering it into countless pieces thrown about the cosmos, but don't they know it only makes up less than 1% of the solar system? The solar system will be fine, stop fear mongering

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Is it probe worthy to say that what we need is the boondock saints but for climate crimes? Maybe swap the extrajudicial killings for like hugs or antidepressants.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/the-front-row/the-crude-demagogy-of-dont-look-up

quote:

The movie’s built-in ambition appears to be simply crude demagogy, reaching an apotheosis in viewers who’ve just watched at home opening their poorly insulated windows and yelling into the street, “Climate change is real!,” without any demand of policy or awareness of actions that the need to slow it might demand. The blame goes on the Peter Isherwells of the world, who seek to profit from it, the Orleans, who deny it or manipulate it for the sake of power; it’s assumed that their lies and distortions are all that keep ordinary people from demanding action. There’s no sense of political psychology, of the tendency of people to look first to immediate personal interest and needs—whether employment or income, convenience or sustenance—and either consider climate change to be distantly abstract or suspect that their present-tense well-being would be sacrificed to climate-favorable policies.

Instead of a political movie, “Don’t Look Up” is a cynical one. It’s basically a Jill Stein movie, a shrug that there’s no difference between the parties, that government is in the corrupt pocket of business and that the élites of all sorts are indifferent to the country’s actual interests. (Though there’s no mention of parties, the movie pointedly shows a picture on the President’s desk showing her beaming side by side with Bill Clinton.)

Why does Hollywood tackle environmental calamity? Why do stars get involved in wildlife conservation? Why are there so few celebrities who put their name and their talent behind, say, voting rights—without which no progressive project such as the Green New Deal has the slightest chance of being signed into law? It’s not only because everyone loves animals, or because movie stars prefer to spend their vacations in the distant wild than in Maricopa County but because it would be impossible to make a film about the suppression of voting rights without considering whose rights are being abrogated, who’s doing so, and which categories of voters supports the measures. The critique of climate change, by contrast, allows the targeting of mega-businesses and political leaders while leaving individuals—meaning, potential moviegoers and ticket-buyers—outside the scope of criticism. In short, what Hollywood people don’t want to do is to critique a political party, because there goes half the potential box office.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

You cannot criticize megacorporations while YOU YOURSELF could simply launch a thermonuclear missile to divert the meteor, and yet, you do not. :grin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

lmao a jill stein movie