Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Completely out of the blue, unprompted by anything at all, I just realized that the Tori Amos album "Boys for Pele" is referencing the volcano deity, not the retired Brazilian footballer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
To be fair brazilian Pele probably had more people pray to him over the years.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Was out tonight at a friend's for new year's and they had a karaoke machine. Someone chose Lady Gaga's Bad Romance and the line I thought was "When you're in Morrowind, no baby is sick" is actually, "Want you in my rear window, baby, you're sick"

I know the first line doesn't even make sense, but I've listened to it several times on youtube now and still cannot hear the proper lyrics.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Ashblight baby

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Babies can't get Corpus because there's no children on Vvardenfell.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Lady Gaga more like Lady N’Wah

rain dogs
Apr 19, 2020

Caldera-ra-ra-ra-ra-ra

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Was out tonight at a friend's for new year's and they had a karaoke machine. Someone chose Lady Gaga's Bad Romance and the line I thought was "When you're in Morrowind, no baby is sick" is actually, "Want you in my rear window, baby, you're sick"

I know the first line doesn't even make sense, but I've listened to it several times on youtube now and still cannot hear the proper lyrics.

That whole verse is just a bunch Hitchcock references. Well, those two lines anyway. I just looked it up and the rest of the verse is the "I want your love" repeating bit, but she references Psycho, Vertigo, and Rear Window in there.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Always thought the album art of Metallica's Ride The Lightning was depicting a silver microphone, but it is an electric chair.

\/ I am not a native speaker and I certainly did not understand the lyrics in my childhood.

lllllllllllllllllll has a new favorite as of 17:44 on Jan 10, 2022

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Always thought the album art of Metallica's Ride The Lightning was depicting a silver microphone, but it is an electric chair.

"Death in the zone
An electric microphone
This can't be happening to me"

Yeah, sounds right.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I wonder if more people have been electrocuted by unearthed mics or electric chairs tbh.

I remember reading The Stand as a metalhead teenager and going whoa when I realised that's where "ride the lightning" came from. And then a couple years later I watched The Green Mile and they reference it there as well and I did the DiCaprio pointing at the screen thing

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

For a long time, as a kid, I thought Enter Sandman was about those green exit lights that point out where the building exits are. Admittedly that's before I listened to what any of the other lyrics were.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Hyperlynx posted:

For a long time, as a kid, I thought Enter Sandman was about those green exit lights that point out where the building exits are. Admittedly that's before I listened to what any of the other lyrics were.

It's a spiritual sequel to "Mr Sandman" by The Chordettes, where the consequences of the dark invocation from that song are explored

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Failed Imagineer posted:

I wonder if more people have been electrocuted by unearthed mics or electric chairs tbh.

I remember reading The Stand as a metalhead teenager and going whoa when I realised that's where "ride the lightning" came from. And then a couple years later I watched The Green Mile and they reference it there as well and I did the DiCaprio pointing at the screen thing

Fatally? Almost certainly the electric chair. At all? Almost certainly mics, that poo poo happens all the time. I got zapped a couple of times myself.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Baron von Eevl posted:

Fatally? Almost certainly the electric chair. At all? Almost certainly mics, that poo poo happens all the time. I got zapped a couple of times myself.

Technically, "electrocuted" does mean "fatally".

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
It just hit me that Taco Bell only calls it "Diablo Sauce" because marketing are desperately trying to avoid using the word "chipotle" and reminding people of their competitors.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Nameless Pete posted:

It just hit me that Taco Bell only calls it "Diablo Sauce" because marketing are desperately trying to avoid using the word "chipotle" and reminding people of their competitors.

Is it supposed to be chipotle flavor? I just thought it was one hotter then the Fire sauce.

I miss the Roja sauce they used to have, actually had decent flavor compared to the other ones that are mostly just levels of heat.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
There are a couple of spots off the coast of Peru where, if you swam straight to the bottom of the sea, and then tunneled right through the core of the Earth, you'd still end up in the Pacific Ocean

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Welp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiD39jo5Yo4

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
If the realisation is about Daft Punk, then they have a long history of taking sampling to an extent where they basically just repurpose entire songs. I don't really have a big problem with it but they could probably have acknowledged it more.

Personally I prefer a Liam Howlett or DJ Shadow or something where they take 2 billion songs and warp or edit them so you'd never recognise them anyway. Or hell even Girl Talk where you know all the songs but they go by too fast and have some trap guy rapping over them

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Phy posted:

There are a couple of spots off the coast of Peru where, if you swam straight to the bottom of the sea, and then tunneled right through the core of the Earth, you'd still end up in the Pacific Ocean

That's amazing

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I didn't realize until just recently how much Japan influenced my childhood pop culture: Super Mario Bros., TMNT, Power Rangers, Sonic, probably other things I've forgotten. The '80s and '90s must have been a golden era of Japanese culture coming to the US.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I didn't realize until just recently how much Japan influenced my childhood pop culture: Super Mario Bros., TMNT, Power Rangers, Sonic, probably other things I've forgotten. The '80s and '90s must have been a golden era of Japanese culture coming to the US.

we were all secretly the weebs this whole time...

ShimaTetsuo
Sep 9, 2001

Maximus Quietus

In the french parts of Europe and Canada there's a huge chunk of popular cartoons from the 80's that are straight up just regular anime, way before that meant anything to regular people. Stuff like these:

- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mysterious_Cities_of_Gold
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Three_Musketeers_Anime (note: it doesn't say "anime" in the title in French...)

I didn't find out what an "anime" was until a decade later.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
God drat did I love the Mysterious Cities of Gold. I remember a friend of mine got a VCR of some episodes and we were bitterly disappointed to discover they didn't have the mini documentaries of Mesoamerican facts at the end.

Memento has a new favorite as of 23:34 on Jan 6, 2022

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Thanks for reminding me of the City of Gold and Lead comic from Boy’s Life

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

One of the best Dutch children's show in history, if not the absolute best, is Alfred Jodokus Kwak, a show about a duck that's entirely Dutch except all the animation was done in Japan and it shows:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UKQVlOxgO4

I can't overstate how amazing this show is. It deals with adult topics in a way that is understandable for kids. The first episode starts with Alfred as a duckling losing his parents when they get run over by a car and a mole adopting him, but goes so much further than that. There's an episode dealing with apartheid between different colored geese, one of his best friends is a kleptomaniac magpie, the local town has a cycling competition where some of the duck competitors start doping themselves with medicine meant for elephants and his childhood bully named Dolf has an entire story arch that spans several episodes where he goes full nazi and fascism.

I'm not joking, just skip through this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyPEi_GPK2M

It's creator, Herman van Veen, is a goddamn saint with a golden voice and I'm lucky enough to have seen him perform live a couple of years ago.

The entire thing is on youtube as well.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

ShimaTetsuo posted:

In the french parts of Europe and Canada there's a huge chunk of popular cartoons from the 80's that are straight up just regular anime, way before that meant anything to regular people. Stuff like these:

- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mysterious_Cities_of_Gold
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Three_Musketeers_Anime (note: it doesn't say "anime" in the title in French...)

I didn't find out what an "anime" was until a decade later.

I'm Irish and they were big here too, def not just Francophone. Also Gigantor, loved that poo poo

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I do recall watching what I know now to be an anime Wizard of Oz series that was about a billion episodes long and the English version was narrated by Margot Kidder. A few years back I had the urge to track it down on YouTube or something and watch the whole thing, and I was pretty pleased with how it stood up.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I didn't figure anything out, just posting this because I can:

https://youtu.be/Ev1aBt-_Zs4

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
hahaha drat

Trying to remember some important poo poo from my undergrad about taking field measurements? Nahh, can't find it.

The opening song to a bizarre 40-year-old French cartoon?

ULYSSES

U-LY-SSES

SOARING THROUGH ALL THE GALAXIES

IN SEARCH OF EARTH, FLYING INTO THE NIIIIIIIGHT

Vulgar
Aug 17, 2003

I am the man of la Mancha… my dream is impossible!

I didn't realize until just recently how much Japan influenced my childhood pop culture: TMNT

I just figured out that some people don’t realize this is an American property

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
what's the deal with danes and ducks, isn't that where those donald duck comics are super popular too

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Vulgar posted:

I just figured out that some people don’t realize this is an American property

I just figured this out too, because for some reason I thought TMNT originated as a Japanese cartoon/comic book.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

I just figured this out too, because for some reason I thought TMNT originated as a Japanese cartoon/comic book.

Lol, I thought you just included it as an example of Japanese influence on western culture, cause of the kind of teenage mutant turtles they are

This afternoon I found out that the French word for "headlight" comes from one of the Seven Wonders of the World; the Lighthouse of Alexandria on the island of Pharos. The French word is phare.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I knew what one of these was, it's a square with some words that work backwards as well as forwards in it, from ancient times, as far back as the ruins of Pompeii.

And I have been reading Discworld books for more than 30 years

But I never made the connection to the geographical location in the middle of Ankh-Morpork, with the gates to the Unseen University on the side.

https://wiki.lspace.org/Sator_Square

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I just found out Norman Mailer existed. I just thought Norman Lear had a very interesting life.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Did you also find out about his wives

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Godzilla, Pokemon, Transformers, Sailor Moon ...

'America's Funniest Home Videos' is based off the Japanese show 'Kato-chan Ken-chan Gokigen TV' and had to pay them a royalty fee for using the format. 'Shark Tank' and 'Dragon's Den' are similarly based off the Japanese show 'Money Tigers'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Memento posted:

hahaha drat

Trying to remember some important poo poo from my undergrad about taking field measurements? Nahh, can't find it.

The opening song to a bizarre 40-year-old French cartoon?

ULYSSES

U-LY-SSES

SOARING THROUGH ALL THE GALAXIES

IN SEARCH OF EARTH, FLYING INTO THE NIIIIIIIGHT

ULYSSEEEUUUEEEUUUEEESSES, no-one else can do the things you do.
ULYSSEEEUUUEEEUUUEEESSES, like a bolt of thunder from the blue.
ULYSSEEEUUUEEEUUUEEESSES, always fighting all the evil forces bringing peace and justice to all.#

Instaplaying in my head :allears: