Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

PostNouveau posted:

Hydra gonna do it

Lol

Getting stuck in the saws for a blip completely disabled Hydra

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Lol

Getting stuck in the saws for a blip completely disabled Hydra

It was smoking right out of the box too. Did not look itself at all.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

I'm not really a Sawblaze believer. I think they win with good driving a lot but that weapon's never been much to write home about. It's like a less-effective Whiplash. I'd think Minotaur takes this one.

sawblaze does a ton of damage and has for like the last 3 seasons!

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

They need more segments where they inspect the damage after fights cause one of the guys I talked to after the Sawblaze/Minotaur fight thought Sawblaze only did some scratches Minotaur. It did basically the same insanely damaging cuts that knocked out Whiplash last season, but it never looks that impressive from the arena cam

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

logikv9 posted:

episode 1 thoughts

captain shred v tombstone - as the thread's tombstone apologist i am deeply saddened by tombstone's horrific self-own. ray definitely said it best that there was too much that was new all at once in tombstone... a lot of what made it reliable was all that old stuff, but to fight against the Zoomer bots it had to try and upgrade where it could. i'm guessing he's going to replace a lot of the newer parts with their more reliable older counterparts, meaning that it'll just be normal tombstone for other fights. which will still be a sight to behold!!

Pretty sure Tombstone will be fine going forward. Captain Shred's design seemed to actually be pretty difficult for Tombstone to do anything. The angle of the body, every time Tombstone hit it, Tombstone just deflected off and likely took all the energy from the hits.

Borsche69 posted:

They need more segments where they inspect the damage after fights cause one of the guys I talked to after the Sawblaze/Minotaur fight thought Sawblaze only did some scratches Minotaur. It did basically the same insanely damaging cuts that knocked out Whiplash last season, but it never looks that impressive from the arena cam

Not sure if they are planning to do it again this year, but last season Team Witchdoctor ran a "Tale of the Tape aftershow" with Will Bales from Hypershock (on YouTube). They usually at least had 1 segment with a team breaking down some of the damage from a fight!

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

How do you get into the upper deck? I don't see any ramps

You don't. Being on the shelf starts a KO timer even if you're mobile. You have to get off the shelf or lose. This rule was added to help control and flipper bots since you can't get an out-of-the-arena KO as easily this year. Notice there are slated bits of lexan around the walls preventing bots from getting trapped there like they used to.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Fun episode, box feels tiny this year with that new platform

Enjoying all of the fires and big hits

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I'm so glad this is back, goddamn I've missed this :allears:

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
So. Much. FIRE.

Imagine being asked to build something that has to survive being on fire for two minutes, and pulling it off. Its mind blowing how hardened some of these machines are.

Switchback was about as unimpressive as I expected it to be. Its great to some kind of innovation but they seem to have gone too far too fast, especially for such an inexperienced team.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Bertha the Toaster posted:

So. Much. FIRE.

Imagine being asked to build something that has to survive being on fire for two minutes, and pulling it off. Its mind blowing how hardened some of these machines are.

Switchback was about as unimpressive as I expected it to be. Its great to some kind of innovation but they seem to have gone too far too fast, especially for such an inexperienced team.

A drum spinner which they could use at different heights and smash onto the top of their opponents would be an amazing weapon if they can get it to work, I hope they iron out the kinks

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

There's not too many teams that come in with a fantastic bot in their first match. The 250lb builds these teams are doing are basically impossible to actually test weapons on until they are in the box... That fight was quite likely the 1st time they ever had the drum spinning and attempted to hit something with it or even move the arm with it spinning.

It's a pretty good design and will likely do some serious damage once they dial it in.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Not sure if they are planning to do it again this year, but last season Team Witchdoctor ran a "Tale of the Tape aftershow" with Will Bales from Hypershock (on YouTube). They usually at least had 1 segment with a team breaking down some of the damage from a fight!

Yeah I loved their poo poo. Copperhead and Bloodsport also did post match autopsies on their youtube channels which was cool.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

There's not too many teams that come in with a fantastic bot in their first match. The 250lb builds these teams are doing are basically impossible to actually test weapons on until they are in the box... That fight was quite likely the 1st time they ever had the drum spinning and attempted to hit something with it or even move the arm with it spinning.

It's a pretty good design and will likely do some serious damage once they dial it in.

Yeah, for comparison Sawblaze is like on it's 50th iteration across something like 5 different weightclasses. They've really refined it and it shows

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Looking forward to Minotaur v Blacksmith round 2

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
The witch doctor show made it clear how many details go into a successful bot. For example, teams have to tear down their motors and pack the magnets with epoxy to make them impact resistant. Lots of details that are only found when something breaks.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

drat, every single match up on this episode was incredible, except for the main event. Hydra was smoking before End Game even touched them, lol. Also RIP Tombstone, has it self-owned itself more than KO'd other bots over the last couple seasons?

Also the typo/joke(?) in the thread title makes my eye twitch a little every time I click on it.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
i saw hydra smoking a bit early in that match but then i remembered the factoid about having an oil filter now so for some stupid reason i thought it was simply exhaust :shepicide:

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Pretty sure Tombstone will be fine going forward. Captain Shred's design seemed to actually be pretty difficult for Tombstone to do anything. The angle of the body, every time Tombstone hit it, Tombstone just deflected off and likely took all the energy from the hits.

that could be said about most of the robots tombstone faces though, with everyone having an anti-tombstone angled wedge attachment sitting in their closets. tombstone is usually just more durable in being able to dish out the hits and the subsequent self-fling across the ring. the internals were sparking with the first one or two hits with their new upgrades.

that said i don't remember if they were using their spinning bar with the bolted-on teeth at the end. to be honest i think the teeth addon is a horrible idea, it can't be stronger than a unibody bar and the moment it breaks off the bar is unbalanced.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

logikv9 posted:

that could be said about most of the robots tombstone faces though, with everyone having an anti-tombstone angled wedge attachment sitting in their closets. tombstone is usually just more durable in being able to dish out the hits and the subsequent self-fling across the ring. the internals were sparking with the first one or two hits with their new upgrades.

I don't know, even the bots with a Tombstone wedge are usually planning to actually take a hit from him. Captain Shred... didn't react at all, the hits did basically nothing and likely took very little of the force from the impacts, so Tombstone took it all.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Isn't Shrederator the ideal surface with which to attack Tombstone while escaping unscathed? Angled round surface with very little to bite into, prone to siding and popping into the air. You're deflecting or recoiling from the hit as much as possible, maybe lifting Tombstone in the process, with very little time in contact instead of planting your feet and having that bar crunch through your frame.

I think one of the boxier and/or magnetic-shod bots would be the worst idea for facing Tombstone for the opposite reasons.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I feel like the movement of the arm was working against them a lot. There was a lot of talk about the strength of that weapon in the pre-fight video, but then the hits did not look that big. It seemed like a lot of the energy was going back into the free-moving arm.

Putting a multi-disc weapon on an arm and getting a high angle on the opponents is a cool innovation on its own. I don't remember the arm moving in the fight in a way that made it look like the Switchback team was doing it, so I don't think they intended to rotate it during the fight.

So, then the best way to improve the weapon would be for that arm to be super locked down during the fight, right?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Also, I think we're getting to a point where the bots have gotten hearty enough that Tombstone is no longer favored in most of its fights.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
I was thinking that, I feel like the design has been fine-tuned as best it can but everyone knows about it and designs with it in mind. So he'll still take out a large chunk of the competition but the real experienced teams are just going to shrug him off and make him break his fist on their face.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
i want Pain Train to be good, but good lord, they just spin that eggbeater up and then cannot turn for poo poo

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

i want Pain Train to be good, but good lord, they just spin that eggbeater up and then cannot turn for poo poo

It seems like a lot of newer teams have that issue, I guess they don't have a chance to practice or drive on the material in advance

They were better than last year but same problem still

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

it was breakfast for deep six

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Well fun fact, their captain at least, actually runs one of the most successful eggbeaters at the NHRL events, Shreddit Bro. So there is plenty of hope that they will be able to dial it in and figure it out, possibly not until next season since they actually know it's happening already and are not finding out like 2 months before the film date that it's happening.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Lots of great fights this week. The show really is so much better now so many more bots are reasonably durable and functional.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

https://www.facebook.com/witchdrshaman/posts/4323931447711656

Looks like Tale of the Tape is officially done. :(

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FA27O7yy90Q
BattleBots Bonus Fight: Jackpot vs. Deadlift

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Pararoid posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FA27O7yy90Q
BattleBots Bonus Fight: Jackpot vs. Deadlift

Pretty good fight for a YouTube exclusive!

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

oh jay posted:

https://www.facebook.com/witchdrshaman/posts/4323931447711656

Looks like Tale of the Tape is officially done. :(

That's a shame, really liked watching them. Its almost like making quality content is a full time job or something.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
A cool breakdown of the Tombstone vs. Shredderator fight by a bot builder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpY4bncxoss

He proves what logikv9 was saying about Tombstone's teeth being a bad idea because it unbalanced the bar, thus the whole robot, if one tooth breaks off but not the other. He unbalances one of his bots weapons and it's basically inoperable real fast.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

PostNouveau posted:

Pretty good fight for a YouTube exclusive!

Near the end of that one you can definitely see that Deadlift's frame was warped to the point where it was only driving on 2-3 of its wheels!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
One of the big things for Shrederator was that its entire body was so low that the most Tombstone could get were glancing blows

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I showed this to my 8 and 5 year old (thank god I could skip all the bloated noise in between matches) and holy poo poo. They spent the night spinning around the room beating the poo poo out of each other pretending they were robots and they've now spent the entire day making Bots out of Lego, giving them profiles and battling each other. This is pure crack for them.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Looten Plunder posted:

I showed this to my 8 and 5 year old (thank god I could skip all the bloated noise in between matches) and holy poo poo. They spent the night spinning around the room beating the poo poo out of each other pretending they were robots and they've now spent the entire day making Bots out of Lego, giving them profiles and battling each other. This is pure crack for them.

If they end up discovering the Hexbug kits exist, my report on those is that they are “fine” but I’ve have to disassemble them to untangle hair from gears once or twice. The custom bots are better value than the branded mini clones imo

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Looten Plunder posted:

Yeah, that was me when my dad and I discovered battlebots as a kid. I have great memories of going to filmings on treasure island

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

If they end up discovering the Hexbug kits exist, my report on those is that they are “fine” but I’ve have to disassemble them to untangle hair from gears once or twice. The custom bots are better value than the branded mini clones imo

Can you send us a couple of examples of "custom bots"? Are you just referring to the "build your own" accessory kits or is there unbranded/copyright skirting "battlebots" that I'm not seeing somewhere?

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Looten Plunder posted:

Can you send us a couple of examples of "custom bots"? Are you just referring to the "build your own" accessory kits or is there unbranded/copyright skirting "battlebots" that I'm not seeing somewhere?

Sorry, I meant the build your own accessory kit ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

RUSTY :neckbeard: