Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Puppeteers are some of my favorite people to work with on set.

Power rankings:
stunties
scenics
puppeteers
fx techs
crafty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

https://twitter.com/elmo/status/1478840478409756677?s=20

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Ok, i"m looking for Dwayne Johnson to step up there.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Kermit's reaction to Henson talking about what material he's made out of is incredible :allears:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

DC Murderverse posted:

Abbott Elementary is probably the best network comedy debut since TGP (note: they are absolutely not similar). It’s clearly very inspired by The Office: we get introduced to the MC’s long-term lazy, lovely bf in the second episode, so even though he’s played by Zack Fox he’s likely not gonna stick around very long. Also the boss is an awful incompetent person who is gonna provide a lot of the conflict, especially early on. The cast is great, the older teachers definitely have the right personalities and the actresses who play them are great, and the well-meaning progressive white guy who everyone thinks is annoying is also really funny. The main guy is Professional Sitcom Star Tyler James Williams and Quinta Brunson both stars and created and she’s hilarious too. Also it’s a sitcom set in Philly, which I feel like have a pretty high batting average.

I'll check out the other two, but yeah, I really liked the first episode of Abbot Elementary. I do think the second ep was a big step down, a little less moving and a lot of the comedy business was more random than witty. There's good bones there, and maybe it'll grow into itself like Ghosts did.

Both the older teachers are impeccably well cast, I agree. Not feeling the Jim and Pam vibes tho, that poo poo can go in the bin.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Open Source Idiom posted:

Both the older teachers are impeccably well cast, I agree. Not feeling the Jim and Pam vibes tho, that poo poo can go in the bin.

The older black woman character is based on Brunson’s mom so it’s really funny to watch her and Brunson in scenes together, I think that will be the most interesting part.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

theflyingexecutive posted:

Puppeteers are some of my favorite people to work with on set.

Power rankings:
stunties
scenics
puppeteers
fx techs
crafty

What's a scenic?
Is a crafty just an caterer?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

DC Murderverse posted:

Without Superstore we now have no good network workplace sitcoms airing and AE feels like it’s more likely to be successful than American Auto, which is less Superstore and more Better Off Ted, with maybe a little 30 Rock. And I don’t say Better Off Ted lightly, the pilot is about discovering their self-driving cars only see white people. The biggest downfall is that there aren’t any actors right now really looking to break out. The writing is fine but I feel like it could use a little more energy in the performance, even from Ana Gasteyer, who is generally brilliant but I feel like “corporate know-nothing” isn’t using her full powers to their limits. There’s also a Barenholz, but not the one you’re thinking of.

Okay, I've seen all three episodes of this now and I really like it. I didn't realise this was Justin Spritzer's new show (he made Superstore and left around about the time it went to crap, not a coincidence I think). This show is far less in love with its cast than Superstore was -- it's more of a corporate satire than a workplace comedy. The climax to the first episode, where the cast tear chunks off the cars parked in the employee parking lot, leave a child locked in a car because they don't want to deal with it, and then still basically fail to impress anyone with their Franken-car kinda says it all about the show.

I think your Better Off Tedd comparison is interesting, since the characters here are far more human than Tedd's gurning workplace zombies were, the show doesn't want you to think of them as soulless husks / basically evil. But they're also not particularly good people, and it's that anti-corporate tension that's keeping me invested in the show. But yeah, there's a slight muted quality to the show, and I don't know what that's about. It's funny though, and made me laugh way more than Abott Elementary did, unfortunately -- I could see it developing into something a bit more It's Always Sunny like eventually, except set in a boardroom.

Also it's exactly the Bareholz I was expecting to see, thank you very much. :colbert:

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jan 6, 2022

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/the-cw-for-sale-warnermedia-viacomcbs-1235070616/amp/

CBSViacom and Time Warner retaining streaming rights have made The CW less profitable and they are reported to be exploring a sale of the network.

As a side note, a whole article on The CW and not a single mention of Supernatural?

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jan 6, 2022

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

https://youtu.be/yiLRE6BjPeQ

My god. It's back.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What is it? Video isn’t available in my country.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Escobarbarian posted:

What is it? Video isn’t available in my country.

The reality show Joe Millionaire

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bring back Who's your Daddy

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Bring back Joe Schmo.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

X-O posted:

Bring back Joe Schmo.

I was about to say they actually did bring it back and it had a new season but that was 2013 my god time is a flat circle

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

It’s not nearly as evil as the first one because in this one all of the contestants know what’s going on. This ends up both making it more palatable and less interesting.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Started Abbott Elementary and liked it so far, but the thing I cracked up most at so far in the Pilot was the principal doing an "i'm watching you" gesture, but instead of pointing at her eyes, the camera angle made it look like she was pointing at her nostrils so it became "I'm gonna smell you" gesture lol

DC Murderverse posted:

It’s not nearly as evil as the first one because in this one all of the contestants know what’s going on. This ends up both making it more palatable and less interesting.

Evil? I barely remember the show outside the premise but seemed to me like the only ones really getting dunked would be the gold-diggers and I guess maybe the walking Jawline if he feels a connection but they just wanted his money, but he's in on it, right, so ain't buggin bout it. It's hard for me to register evil on this kind of show because it's even harder to register any of them as anything other than supremely, maximally trashy people who I generally think of as merely wanting to participate for the chance to be on TV or become some sort of peripheral medialing.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 6, 2022

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bogdanovich died today. He was the major New Hollywood guy who I only every saw appearing as himself in other stuff, but I don't think I've seen any of his films.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

DC Murderverse posted:

I think the gimmick this time is there are two dudes. One is a millionaire and one isn't. So they could do multiple seasons of this one.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
They should raise the stakes a little. One of the men should be so poor he is nearly starving to death, only agreeing to do the show because of the craft services table. If he gets chosen for love or whatever he gets to have a million dollars and become a real one-millionaire. The rich guy risks producers sharing the tweets and texts they scrubbed during a casting cancel-litmus background check.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

Brock Samson posted:

Joe Gatto announces he is leaving Impractical Jokers https://www.instagram.com/p/CYLBnVXgrmn/

this is probably one of those things that's gonna be real obvious in retrospect but I think this dude's about to get Me Too'd hard

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

zoux posted:

Bogdanovich died today. He was the major New Hollywood guy who I only every saw appearing as himself in other stuff, but I don't think I've seen any of his films.

Oh that's sad :(

The Last Picture Show is the obvious go-to film, it's REALLY good. I really dug Nickelodeon but it doesn't have the best reputation, but if you're into the silent film era I think it's well worth checking out. Noises Off is really funny, and The Mask is a weird film because I've seen it a dozen times or more when I was a kid because my mother LOVED it but all I can really remember is the biker gang being super-wholesome looking out for Eric Stoltz.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

The thing that made the original actually entertaining was the host, Paul. Every woman loved him and he was the quippiest person on the show. This new host looks like a dipshit.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Oh that's sad :(

The Last Picture Show is the obvious go-to film, it's REALLY good. I really dug Nickelodeon but it doesn't have the best reputation, but if you're into the silent film era I think it's well worth checking out. Noises Off is really funny, and The Mask is a weird film because I've seen it a dozen times or more when I was a kid because my mother LOVED it but all I can really remember is the biker gang being super-wholesome looking out for Eric Stoltz.

Oh I have seen Noises Off and Mask.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I thought nothing would top Radish Horror for me in the Toast of London/Tinseltown name stakes but Bellender Bojangles certainly runs it close. Also, now the initial shock from the cameo overload has worn off, I want Rashida Jones to stick around, Billie and Toast make for a strangely odd and endearing pairing.

Only two eps left, I really should string them out because I guess it will ages - if ever - that we get another series.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I finally watched Noises Off with my spouse last year (it's one of her favorite movies) and I absolutely loved it. And holy poo poo that cast.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

JAMOOOL posted:

this is probably one of those things that's gonna be real obvious in retrospect but I think this dude's about to get Me Too'd hard

quote:

TruTV has since removed Gatto’s name from their website. Several episodes featuring Gatto in compromising situations have also been removed from both TruTV’s site as well as HBO Max, including “Bull Shiatsu,” which features punishment with Gatto hiding inside a massage chair to give people massages, as well as “The Dream Crusher,” which includes a challenge in which the Jokers must kiss a chosen stranger in a mall food court. The clips have also been removed from TruTV’s YouTube channel.
Paste has reached out to TruTV for comment, and has not heard back as of press time.

Yeaaaaah.... also some unverified stories going around about him and fans...

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
lol yikes, definitely seems like some pre-cancel damage control now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Gotta scrub that brand before Discovery buys up WarnerMedia.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A lot of shows are getting shut down due to outbreaks, including the next season of Picard which had more than 50 people test positive.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

muscles like this! posted:

A lot of shows are getting shut down due to outbreaks, including the next season of Picard which had more than 50 people test positive.
By all indications we should be in another starting phase of a quarantine but since all the vaxed folk do ok it looks like we'll just barrel through a few 2-4 week shutdowns.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Reminder that S5 of Search Party drops tomorrow, Jan 7th!

I can't wait to watch all those terrible people

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I know the AV Club has gone way downhill since its heyday, but man this is sad to see:

https://twitter.com/AADowd/status/1479150750097973256

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Arist posted:

I know the AV Club has gone way downhill since its heyday, but man this is sad to see:

https://twitter.com/AADowd/status/1479150750097973256

Dowd's one of the last good ones too. :(

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

More like C. C. Dowd

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
does SA have a thread for american pickers? history channel's number 1 show, 10 years and counting? no.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
be the american picking you want to pick in the world and post the thread

what'd they pick this time some more old garbage or something cool?

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
At some point, Christ it must have been almost 10 years ago when that whole genre was really blowing up, there was a general American Pickers/Pawn Stars/Hardcore Pawn/Storage Wars/Baggage Battles/Shipping Wars/Container Wars/Auction Hunters/Auction Kings/(some more I can't recall from memory) thread.

Honestly I wouldn't mind somewhere to gossip about all the weird ones trying to bring that era back. Along with a Storage Wars reboot there's new weird hangers on, like Extreme Unboxing, where people keep finding liquidation pallets of brand-new cookware that they were going to sell for retail price :).

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
storage wars projects a psychic prison projected from tvs that i cannot escape from. if you ever want to murder me and get away with it, lure me into a room with episodes on loop with no commercial breaks and ill eventually starve to death without noticing besides how horseshit it is he's trying to say they'll sell that piece of poo poo in their thrift store for 50 bucks gimme a break

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Khanstant posted:

lol yikes, definitely seems like some pre-cancel damage control now.

God this sucks. Him leaving was bad, but so be it, it had been a good run. But I was glad there was no bad blood or controversy.

Spoke to soon goddamit.