Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sticko
Nov 24, 2007
Outrageous Lumpwad
I think with 6 players who actually know how to play SI, it could be done pretty fast. As long as players are not trying to completely min max (If you're just concentrating on your own board, any maybe assisting one other player). All turns are simultaneous and each player should be able to handle their own invader phase stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Sticko posted:

I think with 6 players who actually know how to play SI, it could be done pretty fast. As long as players are not trying to completely min max (If you're just concentrating on your own board, any maybe assisting one other player). All turns are simultaneous and each player should be able to handle their own invader phase stuff.

Yeah we've played 5 player a bunch with experienced players and it's fine. Trickiest bit has been that you can end up a long way away from crisis areas and be unable to do anything useful to help sometimes, and events can take a long time to resolve, particularly ones where each player does something rather than each board or when you need to choose an option together.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013

Kerro posted:

- mostly the blood moon box and chalice dungeon for extra hunters and monsters. I had a bunch of the other expansions that added extra campaigns but I don't honestly feel the campaigns are that different to justify getting an expansion just for that. Playing different hunters and using different enemies changes up the game way more imo

Thank you much for the response. So the Blood Moon and Chalice Dungeon boxes seem to be the only boxes with extra hunters, right? I will track those down.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Kalko posted:

Spirit Island Trip Report: I set it up in new player mode and picked the lightning dude and promptly lost three games in a row. Wow, this game is pretty hard! So I tried ditching the recommended power progression cards for a few games and it felt like I was doing better, but I still kept losing. So I looked online to see if I was playing any rules incorrectly and nope, looks like I had everything sorted. And people on BGG and Reddit were saying they found the tutorial easy!

I did find some errata about adding an additional blight token at the start, so I did that but it still didn't help. And then I noticed something on my character board...

I cannot believe I overlooked that the entire time, but I won pretty easily on the next game. I like it, will play again.

Lmao.

I played shadows flicker like flame because he looked cool. My friend played the stone dude. Yeah, we didn’t really have the offense to get back in the game after slacking off for a few turns.

Since then I’ve played the steam game a ton, and I adore the game now that I’m better at it. I feel like I can just play spirit island forever, its in the same tier as Odin for me.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Hello again thread!

Firstly, from the old one:

I didn't see anyone answer that it was "PAIN", so here's me saying, it's pain.

But actually NO! Depending on the theory of ethics you hold to It's arguably the opposite of pain! It's a lovely new thread with an amazing OP! Well done Magnetic North, it's really a fantastic thing. I feel I should point out, the Onitama link actually takes you to Codenames Duets on BGG, but, I don't want that to sound like a criticism, I used that OP to find stuff for friends, it was actually super useful, and thought you may like to update it.

Orange DeviI posted:

Lmao.

I played shadows flicker like flame because he looked cool. My friend played the stone dude. Yeah, we didn’t really have the offense to get back in the game after slacking off for a few turns.

Since then I’ve played the steam game a ton, and I adore the game now that I’m better at it. I feel like I can just play spirit island forever, its in the same tier as Odin for me.

Yeah, Spirit Island is one of those that whenever I pick it up after not playing it for a while, I pick it up a BUNCH, it's so good! If you haven't played with the different invaders yet, I'd say, don't be too scared about jumping in against them! I was, and put it off for ages, but actually they're a joy. I mean, they're not, they're horrid, but they present a really fun challenge, not an overbearing one.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Is Ascension 10th Anniversary Edition worth getting? I've never played Ascension, but I've heard it's good. That said I imagine that there may be better deckbuilders since it first came out.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Is Ascension 10th Anniversary Edition worth getting?

Nope. Play digitally if you must play.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

!Klams posted:

Yeah, Spirit Island is one of those that whenever I pick it up after not playing it for a while, I pick it up a BUNCH, it's so good! If you haven't played with the different invaders yet, I'd say, don't be too scared about jumping in against them! I was, and put it off for ages, but actually they're a joy. I mean, they're not, they're horrid, but they present a really fun challenge, not an overbearing one.

Spirit Island is extremely accurate in that it depicts the English as being the worst and most annoying of all people

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

MikeCrotch posted:

Spirit Island is extremely accurate in that it depicts the English as being the worst and most annoying of all people

Oh, sorry.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

!Klams posted:

I didn't see anyone answer that it was "PAIN", so here's me saying, it's pain.

But actually NO! Depending on the theory of ethics you hold to It's arguably the opposite of pain! It's a lovely new thread with an amazing OP! Well done Magnetic North, it's really a fantastic thing. I feel I should point out, the Onitama link actually takes you to Codenames Duets on BGG, but, I don't want that to sound like a criticism, I used that OP to find stuff for friends, it was actually super useful, and thought you may like to update it.

Thanks for the kind words, and thank you for helping with the proofreading. I knew there were likely more errors than I'd managed to find so far. I won't take any OP corrections personally. In fact, I intend for the recommendations particularly to be something of a living document, adding new ones as they come out and removing games as they fall out of print or possibly just fall out of favor of the thread.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

One of the newest SI adversaries, Russia is kind of goofy to play because their level 2 ability generates a very interesting problem. It reads: "The first time an action destroys explorers, if possible push one of those explorers to an adjacent space instead." This introduces a huge amount of procedural issues and the rules were re-written in a way that could explain this properly. What is an action? Is a fear card an action? What if an action indirectly kills an explorer from say, being pushed into the ocean while it is in play?

Probably the only time playing this game that I got an actual headache trying to sort it out.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
For 18xxers out there, this fellow (who is also behind the fantastic 18XXC app) has created another neat app that helps in building the bank by allowing you to tell it what size you want and what chip denominations you have and want to use to build it. This is extremely useful for me because building the bank is one of the most annoying parts of setting up for me at this stage since I've got (most of) my tiles organized for my favourites.

https://twitter.com/mg0rn/status/1479468680379609097

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
So I know I'm super behind the times on this but we just started playing AffO after Christmas. I've never really followed AffO chat that closely but I have the impression that a lot of people talk about exploration being super high priority, and I'm kind of wondering what we're missing because we're just not seeing that so far. The highest scores we've seen always seem to come from vomiting out green & blue tiles to develop the home board ASAP and leisurely grabbing later islands to fill with overflow income; gunning for early islands always feels really really strong but then seems to come up short in the end. Having to keep going back to the mountains to get resources feels really painful in comparison to the bonus resources on the home board and it sucks filling in all those -1s from scratch instead of getting to do it organically as you build income. Granted, we've only just been playing the two of us and I can see how with 3-4 players you wouldn't want to get locked out of islands altogether, but from what we're seeing that still seems more like an expensive insurance policy than an improved engine.

Overall we're still really impressed with the game so far. Everyone talks about how much better and more balanced the expansion is but so far the game feels way more robust than I'd been led to expect. From what we're seeing the game resists being boiled down into an optimal strategy, victory seems to come down to being efficient and tactical with puzzle pieces and action spaces (and, admittedly, some amount of occupation card luck.)

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

the holy poopacy posted:

So I know I'm super behind the times on this but we just started playing AffO after Christmas. I've never really followed AffO chat that closely but I have the impression that a lot of people talk about exploration being super high priority, and I'm kind of wondering what we're missing because we're just not seeing that so far. The highest scores we've seen always seem to come from vomiting out green & blue tiles to develop the home board ASAP and leisurely grabbing later islands to fill with overflow income; gunning for early islands always feels really really strong but then seems to come up short in the end. Having to keep going back to the mountains to get resources feels really painful in comparison to the bonus resources on the home board and it sucks filling in all those -1s from scratch instead of getting to do it organically as you build income. Granted, we've only just been playing the two of us and I can see how with 3-4 players you wouldn't want to get locked out of islands altogether, but from what we're seeing that still seems more like an expensive insurance policy than an improved engine.

Overall we're still really impressed with the game so far. Everyone talks about how much better and more balanced the expansion is but so far the game feels way more robust than I'd been led to expect. From what we're seeing the game resists being boiled down into an optimal strategy, victory seems to come down to being efficient and tactical with puzzle pieces and action spaces (and, admittedly, some amount of occupation card luck.)

The trick is that bonus tiles are really good and getting some early off an island can be huge. If you're getting free greens or blues every turn that lends itself well to filling up both islands and your home board. I'm far from the best AffO player in the world but my usual strategy usually involves covering up some home board early to get that mead and some silver, try to do the house+boat 3 Viking action, get an island, and maybe spend some silver on special tiles or start pillaging.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I know they're worth a lot, but they seem to balanced out by the opportunity cost of grabbing them early. Wood + ship + explore basically sets you back an entire turn if you're going for the middle islands, and then there are a lot of extra blank spaces to cover that you'll need the extra income just to make up from (the same is true of the home board, but the bonuses are generally more convenient to the income spaces, and filling in the income makes it easier & more rewarding to cover up all the -1s that you need to cover anyhow.)

Do you generally focus on filling in the income spaces and detour to bonuses as they become convenient, or just beeline straight for the big bonuses? I've tried both ways, although maybe I'm still just not focusing the bonuses hard enough.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Is Ascension 10th Anniversary Edition worth getting? I've never played Ascension, but I've heard it's good. That said I imagine that there may be better deckbuilders since it first came out.

there were better deckbuilders before it came out (namely Dominion)

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Ascension is an early market row deckbuilder. Perfectly serviceable in the genre but I don't consider it anything special.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

the holy poopacy posted:

I know they're worth a lot, but they seem to balanced out by the opportunity cost of grabbing them early. Wood + ship + explore basically sets you back an entire turn if you're going for the middle islands, and then there are a lot of extra blank spaces to cover that you'll need the extra income just to make up from (the same is true of the home board, but the bonuses are generally more convenient to the income spaces, and filling in the income makes it easier & more rewarding to cover up all the -1s that you need to cover anyhow.)

Do you generally focus on filling in the income spaces and detour to bonuses as they become convenient, or just beeline straight for the big bonuses? I've tried both ways, although maybe I'm still just not focusing the bonuses hard enough.

I completely ignore my home board a lot of the time. The trick with the islands is that the necessary boats have lots of utility. If I build a boat early, that's a gain in points and it opens up other options that I can then leverage towards filling up that island and can allow me to capitalize on action spaces that my opponents are unable to use. Once the bonus tiles start pouring in, they get very good, fast.

So if I am first to get a longboat and then get a big island, I can use the longboat to get blue tiles to fill up that island and I have less concern with my non-longboat-having opponents taking the action spaces at the centre of my economy.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I like Ascension, it's probably my favorite of the "straight" deck builders. It's more variant/tactical than Dominion. I've probably played a thousand games of it on iOS as well, since it simplifies shuffling and counting.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I have no strong feelings on Ascension. I played it and Dominion roughly at the same time and in general prefer Dominion, but I like Ascension's little red jaggedy crystal pieces. I like colorful, chunky plastic components so that's always a plus

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

nordichammer posted:

Thank you much for the response. So the Blood Moon and Chalice Dungeon boxes seem to be the only boxes with extra hunters, right? I will track those down.

Yeah that's right. Unfortunately the Blood Moon box which has the most useful extras they made ks exclusive, but if you can get it at a reasonable price now I'd definitely jump on it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Here’s my updated travel game box. List of games:

Carcassonne
Modern Art
Ragnarocks
Arboretum
Battle Line
Fox in the Forest
The Crew Deep Sea
Lost Cities Rivals
High Society
For Sale
Air Land & Sea
Battlecon
Race for the Galaxy
Deck of cards (for Skull, The Resistance, ONU Werewolf, etc)

All in the Carc box. The tokens for everything are under the Modern Art cards. I can also pull out Modern Art and fit in Fake Artist and Insider if I want more party games.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 7, 2022

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Any recommendations for good Euro-ish games that can be played online asynchronously? My gaming group of 5 can only play remotely, and we typically enjoy playing games turn by turn over the course of several days or even weeks.

We’ve had a blast with the following:

-Concordia on Boiteajeux
-Agricola on Boiteajeux
-Terra Mystica on the iOS app

Spirit Island sounds amazing, but i haven’t found a good option for 5 players async online, and not even sure it would feasible, having never played it.

We are also looking at Keyflower on Board Game Arena.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
El Grande is amazing 5p and plays well on yucata.de

FACKER
Jan 2, 2005

Quarterroys posted:

Any recommendations for good Euro-ish games that can be played online asynchronously? My gaming group of 5 can only play remotely, and we typically enjoy playing games turn by turn over the course of several days or even weeks.

-Concordia on Boiteajeux
-Agricola on Boiteajeux

Spirit Island sounds amazing, but i haven’t found a good option for 5 players async online, and not even sure it would feasible, having never played it.

I'm a big fan of the implementations on the following sites that you didn't mention, though they're all on the heavier side:
http://play.boardgamecore.net/main.jsp
- Antiquity
- The Great Zimbabwe
- Food Chain Magnate
- Wir sin das Volk

https://www.slothninja.com/#/
- Indonesia
- Some other games I haven't played

https://18xx.games
- 28+ different 18xx titles with more in various stages of development

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Quarterroys posted:

-Concordia on Boiteajeux
-Agricola on Boiteajeux

Snowdonia on yucata.de

multiple games of TtA with the official version (2p + 3p, 5x 4p, whatever suits you)

Do not play Spirit Island asynchronously.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Spirit Island played asynchronously with simultaneous turns and no communication allowed would be incredibly funny. Impossible, but funny.

Sticko
Nov 24, 2007
Outrageous Lumpwad
player 1 does all growth, player 2 chooses cards, player 3 does fast phase, player 4 does invader phase, player 5 does slow phase. It then becomes a game of trying to guess what on earth the previous players were planning, accompanied with massive resentment and recriminations.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

MikeCrotch posted:

It’s definitely the French for me

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Quote is not edit.

I've added two more items to the Responsibility section of the OP: Inexplicable Crypto Baloney in the Trad Games Space and Theft and Plagarism in Board Games. Give them a look and PM me (if you have PMs) with any errors. I admit, I don't know if I love the formatting for this sort of grouping, but it's the best I could think of.

Next addition is hopefully Asmodee but it's hard to find much concrete besides the general hate because they've been 'the bad guy' for so darn long.

Magnetic North fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jan 8, 2022

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Wow gently caress Sirlin.

I want to note that he "only" stole the visual design for Puzzle Strike, the game is more than just a Dominion-with-chips, but that's still super blatantly scummy.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jan 8, 2022

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Siivola posted:

I want to note that he "only" stole the visual design for Puzzle Strike, the game is more than just a Dominion-with-chips, but that's still super blatantly scummy.

Hmm, it has been a long time since I played Puzzle Strike (before knowing the controversy), but I recall it playing basically exactly like Dominion except the weird Gem sliding attack poo poo. Perhaps I am overstating the case? I am genuinely trying to just keep people in the loop; this isn't some personal vendetta, Sirlin didn't beat me at Marvel Vs Capcom 2 or anything, so if people feel I am being too uncharitable, I can update it.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I just checked my edition and it has an illustrator credit and thanks DXV for Dominion.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

Magnetic North posted:

Hmm, it has been a long time since I played Puzzle Strike (before knowing the controversy), but I recall it playing basically exactly like Dominion except the weird Gem sliding attack poo poo. Perhaps I am overstating the case? I am genuinely trying to just keep people in the loop; this isn't some personal vendetta, Sirlin didn't beat me at Marvel Vs Capcom 2 or anything, so if people feel I am being too uncharitable, I can update it.

It's very different from Dominion, the goal is to knock your opponent out by using the gem mechanic instead of building victory points. It's a asymmetric fighting/puzzle game by way of deckbuilding. A lot of the mechanics come from Dominion, but the gameplay is more a back and forth trying to build a deck to beat your opponent with.

He wholesale ripped off that visual design from that guy though which is lovely.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

gschmidl posted:

I just checked my edition and it has an illustrator credit and thanks DXV for Dominion.

Which edition is that?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Magnetic North posted:

Which edition is that?

The first one, I think. Pre adding 2 extra chips.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Quarterroys posted:

-Concordia on Boiteajeux
-Agricola on Boiteajeux

On BGA I would recommend

Terra Mystica
A Feast For Odin
Russian Railroads
Railways of the World
Caylus
Yokohama
Beyond the Sun
Lost Ruins of Aranak
Race for the Galaxy

They all work fairly well asynch.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

I've updated the post to hopefully more accurately describe the Puzzle Strike controversy. Also, I accidentally discovered an entirely separate game theft Sirlin controversy, so I added that too.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

gschmidl posted:

The illustrator credited isn't Matthan, the BGG user who put Dominion on chips and designed the exact banners and iconography that ended up on Puzzle Strike. The thanks to DXV disappeared from revised Puzzle Strike rulebooks after he and Sirlin met, which went down like this:

donaldx posted:

I met Sirlin once. "Do you know who I am?" he said. I said, "Yes, you're the guy who stole that guy's idea for a chip version of Dominion." "You know I credit you in the rulebook," he said. "Do you credit that guy?" I asked. He did not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Poopy Palpy posted:

The illustrator credited isn't Matthan, the BGG user who put Dominion on chips and designed the exact banners and iconography that ended up on Puzzle Strike. The thanks to DXV disappeared from revised Puzzle Strike rulebooks after he and Sirlin met, which went down like this:

That's pretty lovely. I was hoping this would be the mythical credit (removing it is, of course, still garbage).