Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Thanks to all for the replies RE: my flooring.
That Guillotine thing for cutting the planks looks pretty neat and I can pretend I'm beheading people I don't like when I use it.

I'm more confident about doing the flooring now than I was earlier, like it seems much less complicated than I was originally thinking but I'll obviously have to do some studying at Youtube University before I decide whether to take the plunge. Though like I said before, I'm a lazy pile of poo poo so the motivation factor might will be a hurdle to overcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

wesleywillis posted:

Thanks to all for the replies RE: my flooring.
That Guillotine thing for cutting the planks looks pretty neat and I can pretend I'm beheading people I don't like when I use it.

I'm more confident about doing the flooring now than I was earlier, like it seems much less complicated than I was originally thinking but I'll obviously have to do some studying at Youtube University before I decide whether to take the plunge. Though like I said before, I'm a lazy pile of poo poo so the motivation factor might will be a hurdle to overcome.

Honestly, goon. I've done floor installation professionally and you bet your sweet bippy if I was doing an awkward shaped or large space I'd hire some schmuck to do it and be more than happy to just pay for it.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Literally A Person posted:

Honestly, goon. I've done floor installation professionally and you bet your sweet bippy if I was doing an awkward shaped or large space I'd hire some schmuck to do it and be more than happy to just pay for it.

My entire place is only about 500 sq ft, the living/dining room is...... I'm not even sure what the dimensions are but if I were to replace all the "hardwood product" thats in my entire place, L/Dr and Bedroom/closets it would probably amount to 400 sq ft total. I think I'd rather do this myself and save the money to have someone paint the place, but :effort: I might pay for someone to do both.

The only awkward spots are where the wall/doorway between my Bedroom and L/Dr is on a bit of an angle, so I might have to cut a half dozen boards on an angle. and the same if I were to do my bedroom as well.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Johnny Truant posted:

Thought that was a wedding band from the minimized image, lol

goth chic

wesleywillis posted:

My entire place is only about 500 sq ft, the living/dining room is...... I'm not even sure what the dimensions are but if I were to replace all the "hardwood product" thats in my entire place, L/Dr and Bedroom/closets it would probably amount to 400 sq ft total. I think I'd rather do this myself and save the money to have someone paint the place, but :effort: I might pay for someone to do both.

The only awkward spots are where the wall/doorway between my Bedroom and L/Dr is on a bit of an angle, so I might have to cut a half dozen boards on an angle. and the same if I were to do my bedroom as well.

It would help if you shared a drawing of that awkward spots unless you're confident you know what to do.

You'll want to measure either ends of the width of the main room so you'll know if you're getting off every 5 courses or so. And pop a chalk line periodically too. I don't think engineered product is as apt to bulge on a long course as hardwood, but it's easy for it to wander. We used to use non-scuff sneakers to kick pieces into place- judiciously. Saves your back and knees a bit.

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009
My go to stripping crimping combo is the Klein 2005N. Strips nice and the crimper is where the leverage is best. Which matters if you are crimping a lot.

https://www.kleintools.com/catalog/combination-cutting-tools/forged-steel-wire-crimper-cutter-stripper

if you're working with Smaller size wire and have less space to work. These Snap-on are just the ticket, Neiko makes some just like it but aren't as nice to use, stiff from the get go, and a little squishy when crimping.

https://shop.snapon.com/product/Wire-Strippers-Cutters%2FCrimpers/7%22-Wire-Stripper-Cutter%2FCrimper-(12-20-AWG)%2C-Red/PWCS7ACF

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009
Something you will use more than you thought, Milwaukee right angle die grinder. Particularly doing conduit and strut work. Quick deburring. Roloc Scotch Brite and Abrasive flap wheels will do a lot of work on this when an big angle grinder is a bit much to tote around.
https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Metalworking/Grinders/2485-20

Bogatyr fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jan 4, 2022

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Mr. Mambold posted:

goth chic

It would help if you shared a drawing of that awkward spots unless you're confident you know what to do.

You'll want to measure either ends of the width of the main room so you'll know if you're getting off every 5 courses or so. And pop a chalk line periodically too. I don't think engineered product is as apt to bulge on a long course as hardwood, but it's easy for it to wander. We used to use non-scuff sneakers to kick pieces into place- judiciously. Saves your back and knees a bit.

The right side of the picture, (the wider planks) are my Living/Dining room, and the left (narrower planks) are my bedroom.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

So are there any mind blowing uses for an electrostatic sprayer that I'm missing, other than just replacing a spray bottle while cleaning? I got one for free-ninety-nine from Direct Tools and while it looks like a radical laser blaster, it's just sitting in my garage taunting me.

Part of me was wondering if using TSP in it for paint prep would work, but I'm guessing that's not a good idea, lol

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Johnny Truant posted:

So are there any mind blowing uses for an electrostatic sprayer that I'm missing, other than just replacing a spray bottle while cleaning? I got one for free-ninety-nine from Direct Tools and while it looks like a radical laser blaster, it's just sitting in my garage taunting me.

Part of me was wondering if using TSP in it for paint prep would work, but I'm guessing that's not a good idea, lol

We used to use one to apply that grapefruit anti-moss spray to clumps on people's roofs. :shrug:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
cordless angle grinder pays for itself once you steal a bike with it

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

canyoneer posted:

cordless angle grinder pays for itself once you steal a bike with it

:yeah:

Also be a Good Samaritan and use it to knock off those spikes on park benches that prevent homeless people from lying down.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Johnny Truant posted:

I haven't tried it yet but my first use case thought is to use it to apply something like Optimum No Rinse when doing a quick car exterior detail rather than the pump sprayer I currently use

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

DoubleT2172 posted:

I haven't tried it yet but my first use case thought is to use it to apply something like Optimum No Rinse when doing a quick car exterior detail rather than the pump sprayer I currently use

Hah, yeah, everything I've seen has people using them on cars. But my partner and I could not care any less about the exterior of our car, so... gently caress.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

wesleywillis posted:

The right side of the picture, (the wider planks) are my Living/Dining room, and the left (narrower planks) are my bedroom.

I've no idea why they would have done that other than the obvious fact they had 2 different width material. That should just go away, as well as any problem you'd have with it.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Mr. Mambold posted:

I've no idea why they would have done that other than the obvious fact they had 2 different width material. That should just go away, as well as any problem you'd have with it.

I never put that much thought in to it aside from, "what if I were to just do the whole place and instead of having that transition and I just went straight through".

That being said, I have no idea why thats like that aside from maybe they ran out of the thinner planks, or the wider planks. But that right there looks like the most complicated part of my entire place. Everything else is pretty much 90* cuts and one or two "L" cuts, like they cut somewhere between 1/2 - 2/3 the width of the board and then cut the rest of it lengthwise, which doesn't *seem* that complicated. Though admittedly, I have zero experience at this. But like the one goon mentioned, the long lengthwise cuts will be covered by baseboards and quarter round.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

wesleywillis posted:

I never put that much thought in to it aside from, "what if I were to just do the whole place and instead of having that transition and I just went straight through".

That being said, I have no idea why thats like that aside from maybe they ran out of the thinner planks, or the wider planks. But that right there looks like the most complicated part of my entire place. Everything else is pretty much 90* cuts and one or two "L" cuts, like they cut somewhere between 1/2 - 2/3 the width of the board and then cut the rest of it lengthwise, which doesn't *seem* that complicated. Though admittedly, I have zero experience at this. But like the one goon mentioned, the long lengthwise cuts will be covered by baseboards and quarter round.

They did that for cosmetic purposes I'm sure, for whatever reasons. If you were to do it with a single tool, a jigsaw would be the call. Rip cuts would be arduous but manageable. That said, goonspeed!

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Johnny Truant posted:

I've got 4 of those loving things because you couldn't unselect them in your cart.

I plan to fill one with Febreze from the pump bottle I've got eventually, so I'll report back.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

stealie72 posted:

I've got 4 of those loving things because you couldn't unselect them in your cart.

I have a friend with like 3 of those and he said the same thing.

Feels like they just shipped a whole bunch of plastic and e-waste that was taking up room in their warehouse.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Bondematt posted:

Feels like they just shipped a whole bunch of plastic and e-waste that was taking up room in their warehouse.
It's exactly what they did. Once people stopped being freaked out by covid on surfaces, I gotta imagine the market for these dropped by 99%.

Wanderless
Apr 30, 2009
I occasionally see people using impact drivers to drill things. That seems to me like a great way of snapping drill bits in a hole. Is there any actual instance when that might be a good idea? Clearly people get confused between impact drivers and hammer drills where even the marginal functionality of a non-SDS hammer drill is missing from the impact driver, but I'm wondering if there are some edge cases where it actually might be appropriate. Maybe some sort of an auger or forstner bit that's well beyond the torque rating of a similarly sized drill? Rotary chiseling action essentially?

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
I've used my impact to blow holes through joists with a spade bit countless times and I've never had one break. I do it out of the convenience of the quick change and not wanting to bring both my drill and driver into attics.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
My M18 driver has a drill bit setting. I forget to use it and have snapped a regular bit and a spade bit because of it. The reason you'd want to drill with one is so you don't have to take two tools with you for a job.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
They make impact rated spade bits, they're fantastic because unlike a drill they won't rip your wrist off if they catch on something.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

NomNomNom posted:

They make impact rated spade bits, they're fantastic because unlike a drill they won't rip your wrist off if they catch on something.

Well that's handy.

Wanderless
Apr 30, 2009

NomNomNom posted:

That's great, and makes sense! Thanks.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I'm going to be demo hammering a ton of floors and walls in the next weeks, so I'm wondering about vibration reducing gloves. Any specific or general recommendations? I'm in Europe so might be harder to find US brands.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Get ones that are ISO 10819 certified.

UK isn't technically part of Europe anymore but it's closer than North America. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Intra-FIT-Vibration-Gloves-Impact-Reducing/dp/B0816LS2LY/. These work for me in Canada.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

DreadLlama posted:

Get ones that are ISO 10819 certified.

UK isn't technically part of Europe anymore but it's closer than North America. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Intra-FIT-Vibration-Gloves-Impact-Reducing/dp/B0816LS2LY/. These work for me in Canada.

Excellent! Exactly what I was looking for (ISO certifications). Didn't find one that had the piercing certification that your link had, but these are for the vibration work. Going to find some good gloves for handling my chainsaw and brush cutter (got a Husqvarna 345FR off an auction) as well.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Wanderless posted:

I occasionally see people using impact drivers to drill things. That seems to me like a great way of snapping drill bits in a hole. Is there any actual instance when that might be a good idea? Clearly people get confused between impact drivers and hammer drills where even the marginal functionality of a non-SDS hammer drill is missing from the impact driver, but I'm wondering if there are some edge cases where it actually might be appropriate. Maybe some sort of an auger or forstner bit that's well beyond the torque rating of a similarly sized drill? Rotary chiseling action essentially?

it's a convenience thing. It works well enough but the hole is a little less neat since it's being formed by a hammering action rather than continuous rotational torque

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
A week or so ago I got a good deal on a bunch of parts boxes and some accessories. I ordered the racks for them and here are 2 of the 4 cabinets setup. I'm still working on filling them but man this is so awesome. Big thanks to Happiness Commando for giving me a discount code for Zoro!

I have a ton of different divider inserts for them. I settled on this type for my screws and bolts. You can fit a lot of hardware in these efficiently. I still need to make a label for the lid.

Some of them I just remove the insert completely and stick tools in

I also have a pair of panthers defending my hoard

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jealous of the boxes and the security system. My security is not effective and tends to sleep on the job whenever the sun is out.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I had an incredibly vivid dream last night that someone broke into my garage and stole all my tools, my two dirt bikes, and most of my hiking/camping gear, vs and my chainsaw. It was one of those painfully realistic dreams that just kept playing out way longer than a dream should. The thieves broke in through a window/door that doesn't actually exist and interrupt coming back Thankfully my garage is pretty secure in real life. The only door is my garage door. No side door. We lock the door between my house and the garage with a deadbolt.

I woke up completely devastated and realized it was just a dream but I started considering how I could better secure my garage. Eventually we'll get a new door opener as ours is an ancient model without a remote.

Dirt bikes are light enough that two people could carry them out by hand.

Either way, I woke up in a panic. I walked out to my garage this morning, thankfully still full. Having my (then a rental) house broken into a few years ago definitely gave me PTSD.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
drat, that's harsh. I have super realistic dreams that I have a ton of cool cars on my driveway, and then I wake up and realize that I do not in fact have all these cars. :smith:

Though, I do have a ton of tools including a pair of Quickjacks in a garage where the lock basically merely is a suggestion of actually keeping the door locked. At least we are going to be renovating now, so won't be a problem for much longer.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Anyone tried any of the budget bin oscillating multi-tool blades from Amazon? Need a couple replacements and the price on there is kind of appealing, even if they only last half as long, still probably save money.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rakeris posted:

Anyone tried any of the budget bin oscillating multi-tool blades from Amazon? Need a couple replacements and the price on there is kind of appealing, even if they only last half as long, still probably save money.

Yeah, I have a box of them. They're fine for light duty stuff and you really don't feel bad about just tossing them in the bin early and often.

They dull pretty immediately when used on any kind of metal, but I don't let that stop me :)

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Rakeris posted:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H5LCSTG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got these almost 3 years ago and haven't gone through them all yet. I was pleasantly surprised how well they went through wood.

I can't speak to metal, as I rarely do that.

e: Oh jeez, I look now and they're $78? Crazy. I bought em for $31, if that helps.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TSBTDJ2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's the set of junk I got, and it's the same price still.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Metal just eats oscillating blades like candy. I bought some "nice" Milwaukee metal-specific blades and they only dull slightly slower than the cheapies when cutting through nails. It's just not an efficient tool for that.

My wood, caulk, and drywall blades last loving forever though.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Thanks y'all, I'll pickup an amazon set then!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
https://youtu.be/joVfNnbweYY

Tl;dr: buy the EZARC on Amazon.