Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Just buy it secondhand lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm curious about Infinite Warfare but not enough to put any effort or money into seeking it out. I'll play it if PS+ shoves it into my gaming trough

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You can get it in CEX for like €5

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
last night i did a mission where i first had to do a dogfight to clear out enemy fighters, so I could board a cruiser to steal something, then had another ship battle before we could leave

before that i had to sneak through an asteroid field in an EVA suit to infiltrate a base

i feel like this game was tailor made just for me

honestly they could make a space fighter game with this engine and i would buy that poo poo up right quick

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
wowee, that's a pretty good price for war crime revisionist agitprop

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
Ugh I didn't realize COD was chuddy... I thought I was doing good by killing Nazis in Vanguard but now I wonder if I can refund it :ohdear:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Don’t give money to Activision as they use it to abuse people. I have never boycotted a videogame company before but gently caress me something is wrong at that place it seems.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Just buy it secondhand lol

I haven't bought a physical game in.. gently caress 12 years? Im not starting again now

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I forgot they worked with Oliver North. There’s another reason not to buy them.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Spiritual successor to System Shock 1 and Realms of the Haunting.

https://twitter.com/NightdiveStudio/status/1478149052684406788

Ready or Not has really put me in the mood for a proper R6 successor.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

can;t believe they did revisionist history on the space wars of 2125

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Some recent events of interest, since I'm in an event-compiling mood:

• Vesper is a new gameplay mod by Xaser showing off the new multi-sourceport MBF21 standard of doin' more cool stuff without graduating to an advanced port like GZDoom. GZ and Eternity don't quite support it just yet, but they should soon.
  • Exquisite Amethyst is a spot of Void for your weekend from Jimmy.
  • XGreed is a source port for the obscurity In Pursuit of Greed. Which has been previously released as freeware by the original devs. It's not a very good game, but the music is great!
  • The Descent is a new single player mapset for... Unreal 1! You don't see that every day.
  • The GZDoom Immersive Sim Cyberpunk Thing Beyond Sunset is releasing a demo on the 21st, though I think it's available now on their Patreon.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/BuildEnginePics/status/1478793733466468362?s=20

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

site posted:

last night i did a mission where i first had to do a dogfight to clear out enemy fighters, so I could board a cruiser to steal something, then had another ship battle before we could leave

before that i had to sneak through an asteroid field in an EVA suit to infiltrate a base

i feel like this game was tailor made just for me

honestly they could make a space fighter game with this engine and i would buy that poo poo up right quick

Its a loving crime that the fanbase had turned so far against Infinity Ward that it never got a fair shot. Its storyline and characters kicks the everloving poo poo of Titanfall 2; everything with Ethan lands better than like 99% of other video game characters.

Infinite Warfare also gets credit for introducing the first major non-poo poo female character in the franchise. Several of them, actually!

Some of the armory upgrades literally had me giggling with how fun they are. There's one that highlights enemies while using the shield. Pair that with a shotgun or Type 2 and it is pure bliss.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
speaking of titanfall, in an earlier level they tried to teach me that you could wall run when you have the boost jets and it felt not very smooth compared to titanfall, and i looked it up and infinite warfare and tf2 actually came out within a week of each other. i wonder if infinity ward saw the tf2 development and were like, okay we need to do that too

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Infinite Warfare had so much bad hype going for it. It was announced after BF1, it had a pretty lame trailer with a butt-rock cover Space Oddity right after Bowie died, and it had that MW: Remastered debacle shackled to it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It also has Conor McGregor in it, who you don’t even get to kill on screen :argh:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It also has Conor McGregor in it, who you don’t even get to kill on screen :argh:

Continuing the grand tradition of CoD games associating with criminals

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Kins posted:

Some recent events of interest, since I'm in an event-compiling mood:

• The GZDoom Immersive Sim Cyberpunk Thing Beyond Sunset is releasing a demo on the 21st, though I think it's available now on their Patreon.

Anyone give this a try yet? I’m real interested but I’d like to know it’s semi-worthwhile before bothering to make a Patreon account and shelling out $5.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

remember when they took a war crime the u.s. military did and rebranded it as something russians did and left it untouched otherwise

Weedle
May 31, 2006

[Treyarch chairman Mark] Lamia: [...] We put you in this place where it’s, ‘Ok, I’m in that part of history,’ and we have sort of that fiction we weave right through. Part of doing that has been and is getting a first-hand account whether that was last time in Black Ops, when we were highlighting parts of Vietnam, meeting with someone who was a real S.O.G. who did black operations in Vietnam and in this case with Lt. Col Oliver North.

Kotaku: But he’s a controversial figure. Some of our readers said explicitly they consider him a traitor.

Lt. Col. Hank Keirsey, military advisor for the game: Did they really?

Kotaku: Yes.

Keirsey: I think it’s because he’s on Fox News. Probably. Do they know what he really did? I guess I’m out of line even coming into the interview, but the man was involved in a crux of history… [Note: Keirsey pauses as he is waved off by a public relations person and excuses himself]. He wants me out of there.

Lamia: So, you know we’re not trying to make a political statement with our game.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Even if they weren't trying, any game involving the US Military and especially involving the Vietnam War is inherently political in some form. So that's a comment almost as dumb as Lt. Col. Keirsey downplaying Iran-Contra

Weedle
May 31, 2006

it does explain a lot about the way cod is now that their military advisor is a guy who has to be physically prevented from defending oliver north at every opportunity

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Since we’re on the subject, Dickhead Marcinko of Rogue Warrior fame died last week. No word on if he was sucking his own dick at the time.

BBC News posted:

A first-person shooter video game named Rogue Warrior was released in 2009, with Marcinko as its protagonist, voiced by actor Mickey Rourke. It was widely slated by critics as one of the worst games ever made.

https://youtu.be/OVoyGUcXepc

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Man it's really gonna suck when I find out they contacted future space Hitler to make infinite warfare

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Was Kevin Spacy in Infinite Warfare or the one before?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Shoehead posted:

Was Kevin Spacy in Infinite Warfare or the one before?

The one before, Advanced Warfare

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Weedle posted:

it does explain a lot about the way cod is now that their military advisor is a guy who has to be physically prevented from defending oliver north at every opportunity

From the same company that hired a torture apologist as CCO!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Okay so that was a good campaign, but the credits have these audio log final letters to families read by various characters and it's a little creepy lol

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Man I really wish these betas could be released.

The weirdest part of these videos is seeing all these textures and sprites that I recognize from the final product in what is essentially a different game. The "missing link" between Duke 2 and Duke 3D if you will.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I want footage of this shotgun so bad

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Modern Warfare 2019's politics are so bizarre. There's a real, genuine desire to ground things back to some version of reality. This isn't just interactive "force broken glass into a man's throat, repeatedly punch, then throw him a gun when the REAL enemies show up" pap. Farah is clearly a stand-in for the Kurdish struggle, and there's a specificity to the ways that Alex and the US government interact with her that rings true-ish.

All of which is undercut by the comical villainy of the Russian army. Sure, there's the "let's take a war crime and re-assign it to a different country" revisionism. There's also the super jarring tonal dissonance where everyone is depicted in welcome shades of moral grey - except for the Russians who literally cackle like James Bond rejects.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

There's also the jarring noble CIA hunk who sacrifices himself for the good of the Middle Eastern rebels.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
good amount of child death too

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
This clip was released about a month ago, but the release details are new:

https://twitter.com/devolverdigital/status/1479296268782510082

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Wouldn’t touch another SS game after how bad 4 performed

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Did.. When did 4 come out?!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Shoehead posted:

Did.. When did 4 come out?!
August 2020.

This is probably a stand-alone expansion pack. Supposedly a "Refinery" level set in Russia was cut from SS4 during development, this is probably Croteam going back to unfinished business.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Oh man a Russian refinery level, sounds thrilling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Tiny Timbs posted:

Oh man a Russian refinery level, sounds thrilling

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH-yerself, comrade.