Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

FishBulbia posted:

My friend in Almaty is talking about CSTO troops coming in and a lot of gunfire in the city center

But what about western trained armed terror groups?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Russia is the Defender of the Faith of Kleptocracy. Nobody in the Russian Empire is allowed to convert.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

More troops being airlifted from the Ukrainian border to Kazakhstan

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

More troops being airlifted from the Ukrainian border to Kazakhstan

Is it a rumour or is there verification?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

The troops are supposed to come from Ryazan and Kostroma, which is not very close to Ukraine.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Aha. Where there any specific units mentioned beyond which garrisons?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Do you get to choose whether your vacation is in Ukraine or Kazakhstan?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Do you get to choose whether your vacation is in Ukraine or Kazakhstan?

You do not. But grandad gets to chose if vdv get to land the plane before vacation starts, so who goes where can be very revealing. Ie who's posting new selfies on social and who isn't is the interesting part

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Units of the 45th separate brigade of the special forces of the Russian Airborne Forces(Kubinka), airborne troops from Ivanovo and Ulyanovsk were sent to Kazakhstan as part of the CSTO forces. First units have already arrived on the ground - Russian Defense Ministry

45th airborne is putins shock troops used famously as little green men.

And I mixed up two sources. Troops on the Ukraine border are in combat alert

"Russia put regiment at Orenburg on combat alert for deployment to Kazakhstan. Also 11 separate engineering brigade which is deployed in Kamensk-Skhakhtinsk near Ukraine could be moved to Kazakhstan"

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
It's probably not going to shift a meaningful number of troops from Ukraine, if that's the only element of the equation. But it definitely freaks out the Kremlin to have a near color revolution in their own backyard: at this point it seems no government of their little bloc is stable. The question is whether that makes them more cautious vis a vis Ukraine and sanctions or makes them desperate enough to take risks.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
To legitimise CSTO's involvement, some Russian officials claim that the terrorists in question are from Afghanistan and Middle East. I guess America and EU are not behind a colour revolution for once.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/patriotbelarus2/status/1479131510716440582

quote:

At present, a large group (estimated 7-8) of the Russian Aerospace Forces transport aircraft are moving from the Machulishchi airbase (Belarus) to Yekaterinburg. There is a peacekeeping contingent on board. After passing customs procedures, the group will leave for Kazakhstan. https://t.me/Radioskaner

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/troops-protesters-clash-almaty-main-square-kazakhstan-shots-heard-2022-01-06/

quote:

ALMATY, Jan 6 (Reuters) - Fresh violence erupted in Kazakhstan's main city on Thursday after Russia rushed in paratroopers overnight to put down a countrywide uprising in one of Moscow's closest former Soviet allies.

Police in the main city Almaty said they had killed dozens of rioters overnight. The authorities said at least 18 members of the security forces had died, including two found decapitated. More than 2,000 people had been arrested.

After a night of running confrontations between protesters and troops on the streets, a presidential residence in the city and its mayor's office were both ablaze, and burnt out cars littered the city, Reuters journalists said.

Military personnel regained control of the main airport, seized earlier by protesters. Thursday evening saw renewed battles in Almaty's main square, occupied alternately by troops and hundreds of protesters throughout much of the day.

The Russian deployment was a gamble by the Kremlin that rapid military force could secure its interests in the oil and uranium-producing Central Asian nation, by swiftly putting down the worst violence in Kazakhstan's 30 years of independence.

Reuters reporters heard explosions and gunfire as military vehicles and scores of soldiers advanced, although the shooting stopped again after nightfall. TASS news agency quoted witnesses as saying people had been killed and wounded in the new gunfire.

Oil production at Kazakhstan's top field Tengiz was reduced on Thursday, its operator Chevron (CVX.N) said, as some contractors disrupted train lines in support of the protests. read more

The internet was shut down across the country, making it impossible to gauge the extent of the unrest. But the violence was unprecedented in a state ruled firmly since Soviet times by leader Nursultan Nazarbayev, 81, who held on to the reins despite stepping down three years ago as president.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Central Asian SSRs have really interesting, and in my opinion underexplored, histories of formation.

I’ve been back on my film nerd poo poo lately, and studying Sergei Parajanov alone has been a huge wealth of SSR history I hadn’t dug into before.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
Meanwhile in Estonia: people are receiving their electricity bills for December. People living in panel houses (non-refurbished) in middle of nowhere with electric heating have been hit especially hard. To the tune of 800 and 1000€ per month, more or less. That's slightly below median pay. Judging by nordpool numbers when I still checked the prices, people in Lithuania, Latvia and Finland have suffered the same.

Also, why do power plant maintenance in middle of winter?!?!!?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

jonnypeh posted:

Meanwhile in Estonia: people are receiving their electricity bills for December. People living in panel houses (non-refurbished) in middle of nowhere with electric heating have been hit especially hard. To the tune of 800 and 1000€ per month, more or less. That's slightly below median pay. Judging by nordpool numbers when I still checked the prices, people in Lithuania, Latvia and Finland have suffered the same.

:Thatscapitalism:

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

Holy poo poo they cutting peoples heads off!

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

jonnypeh posted:

It's all of Northern Europe. As I'm given to understand it it's a combination of a number of things all cascading; There's some coal and nuclear plants that are being shuttered/phased out, there's maintenance work on some critical nuclear plants, the politicization of Russian gas coupled with the increased international tension over Ukraine, and hydro plants (in Scandinavia at least) don't have enough water in their magazines to operate efficiently (basically a combiantion of a relatively dry spring+summer and not enough snow to melt in the mountains I think).

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

lol Wikileaks.

https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/1479265368115982346

Love the side article about crypto slumping due to the fighting.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 7, 2022

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I was on board with the killing of demonstrants, the totaliarian hold on power, the economic exploitation - but enjoying the music of Elton John is a step too far. Tokayev must go!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Randarkman posted:

It's all of Northern Europe. As I'm given to understand it it's a combination of a number of things all cascading; There's some coal and nuclear plants that are being shuttered/phased out, there's maintenance work on some critical nuclear plants, the politicization of Russian gas coupled with the increased international tension over Ukraine, and hydro plants (in Scandinavia at least) don't have enough water in their magazines to operate efficiently (basically a combiantion of a relatively dry spring+summer and not enough snow to melt in the mountains I think).

Central europes extreme dependency on natural gas is coming home to roost.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://twitter.com/Leon_Sverdlov/status/1479160458707976196

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://twitter.com/artimusfoul/status/1479068075483873284
lmao

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sadly, called it. https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/01/07/kazakhstan-russia-protests-csto/

quote:

Kazakhstan’s president said Friday he had ordered his troops to “shoot to kill without warning” in an effort to quash anti-government protests that have been raging since the weekend.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Little worried about that friend. They will need to get to the airport at some point to fly abroad. Hope the troops don't decide the car is a threat and go all US checkpoint in Iraq on it.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

In lighter news, the vaccination row between Novak Djokovic and the island-continent of Australia has taken an entirely predictable and hilarious turn. Guardian: Djokovic father says visa row aimed at ‘stomping on Serbia’

quote:

The 34-year-old world tennis No 1, who was born in the Serb capital, is in detention in an immigration hotel in Melbourne pending a legal challenge to Australia’s decision on Wednesday to cancel a visa that would allow him to play in the Australian Open.

Demonstrators gathered outside the Serb assembly on Thursday afternoon after a call for support from Djokovic’s family. The player’s father told a press conference that he could not be defeated “by anyone, not even the Australian government”.

Djokovic was being “persecuted”, Srdjan Djokovic said. “They’re keeping him in captivity. They’re stomping all over him to stomp all over Serbia and the Serbian people. [Scott] Morrison [Australia’s prime minister] and his like have dared attack Novak to bring Serbia to its knees.”

Apparently the #1 tennis star in the world is "unwilling to reveal his vaccination status" and has therefore been rejected a medical exemption from the quarantine rules and told to stay in his hotel room for a week like anone else. This has been received as well as you'd imagine.

quote:

The Serbian president, Aleksandar Vučić, posted on Instagram that he had “told our Novak that the whole of Serbia is with him and [we] are doing everything to see the harassment of the world’s best tennis player is brought to an end. In line with all norms of international law, Serbia will fight for Novak, truth and justice.”

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Thos Albanians are at it again for sure :tito:

quote:

Demographics
In the early twenty first century, Victoria has the highest concentration of Albanians and smaller Albanian communities exist in Western Australia, South Australia, Queensland, New South Wales and the Northern Territory.[178][179] In 2016, approximately 4,041 persons resident in Australia identified themselves as having been born in Albania and Kosovo, while 15,901 persons identified themselves as having Albanian ancestry, either alone or in combination with another ancestry.[1] According to Australian Albanian societies, they state the number of Albanians in the country is under reported.[86]

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

barbecue at the folks posted:

In lighter news, the vaccination row between Novak Djokovic and the island-continent of Australia has taken an entirely predictable and hilarious turn. Guardian: Djokovic father says visa row aimed at ‘stomping on Serbia’

Apparently the #1 tennis star in the world is "unwilling to reveal his vaccination status" and has therefore been rejected a medical exemption from the quarantine rules and told to stay in his hotel room for a week like anone else. This has been received as well as you'd imagine.

Don't forget that his father publicly compared Djokovic's suffering to the crucifixion of Christ lmao

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Some of those that work forces / face the folks that ride horses.

Seriously though, I hope neither the folks or the horses get hurt.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
https://twitter.com/edolinsky/status/1476182864152649728
Tell me again why this is a side worth giving any support at all in such a high stakes game?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I see this conspiracy theory (in the sense that it's a theory about a conspiracy, not that it's necessarily wrong) from analysts and regular people on twitter across political spectrum that violent looters and rioters in Almaty were organised by Tokaev or someone from his clan to completely oust Nazarbayev. From Russian opposition to Russian nationalists, from Kazakh loyalists to protesters, there are people who voice this idea, even if they explain Tokaev's and Russia's end goals differently. Gulagu Net, for example, even published an email/letter from one of their FSB sources that claims convicts were armed and unleashed to cause unrest by the police to justify harsh suppression of protests elsewhere and the ongoing purge within the government (Nazarbaev is no longer on Security Council, all his ministers were removed), and that this tactic may later be used in Russia.

https://gulagu-net.ru/news/2022-01-06-1123.html

There is circumstantial evidence to support this theory. Almaty bore the brunt of violent riots, while protests remained relatively peaceful in other places, protestors managed to easily seize weapons from police stations, the violent protestors attacked all journalists on sight, fairly organised movement of protesters without any even informal leaders (there's Mukhtar Ablyazov, an ex-banker and a vlogger, who currently lives in France and claims to be the protest leader, but it almost looks like he's trying to use the situation for self-promotion), etc. Most of those things can easily be explained by how spontaneous the protest was and the involvement of rural clans with strong low-level organisation, but it's interesting that the same false flag theory sprung up in many different places at the same time.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

khwarezm posted:

Tell me again why this is a side worth giving any support at all in such a high stakes game?

While it is truly abhorrent to me that someone who actively and enthusiastically collaborated with the nazis is celebrated in any way, not to mention other controversial figures on the list, on the same list of memorable dates approved by Rada there are also Red Army soldiers and officers. Some of them even died fighting against UPA. To me, there is no reconciling Ukraine's troubled history in WWII that can be mandated from up high, and it would be better to just move on, but this is what Ukrainian government tries to do every year for some reason. In their mind to reconcile present tensions, they need to 'both sides' the past, as in both nazi occupation and Soviet occupation were equally bad, so really anyone who in one way or another fought for Ukrainian independence against any side can be a hero (or a villain!). It obviously doesn't work, and neither ultranationalists or anti-nationalists for the lack of a better term are happy, and it only fans endless culture wars on top of an actual war, but this is the goal of this nonsense from the government's point of view.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

khwarezm posted:

The people aren't collectively responsible for the acts of their government. Otherwise I guess we should have nuked the Eastern seaboard as punishment for all of America unanimously electing Trump

Also would you support the even worse other side instead?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
It's not a loving game.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

The people aren't collectively responsible for the acts of their government. Otherwise I guess we should have nuked the Eastern seaboard as punishment for all of America unanimously electing Trump

Holding most Americans responsible for Trump and treating them (us) accordingly is good and proper and I wish it happened more.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

It's worth remembering that 10 times the number of Ukrainians died fighting for the Red Army than ever served in the UPA

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

steinrokkan posted:

Ukraine wouldn't exist if the other side won, so no, they weren't worse.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Bel Shazar posted:

Holding most Americans responsible for Trump and treating them (us) accordingly is good and proper and I wish it happened more.

Even if it meant surrendering the US to a country that would e.g. reinstate slavery? Which is not a particularly over-dramatic statement, seeing what happened to the treatment of minorities in the occupied territories, particularly in Crimea.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

FishBulbia posted:

Ukraine wouldn't exist if the other side won, so no, they weren't worse.

I mean Putin, today, who is for all the faults of Kyiv a way worse and regressive autocrat standing in opposition to all modern progressive values than anybody with any chance of gaining power in Ukraine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

Even if it meant surrendering the US to a country that would e.g. reinstate slavery? Which is not a particularly over-dramatic statement, seeing what happened to the treatment of minorities in the occupied territories, particularly in Crimea.

That sounds bad, but we still have slavery right now...

But no, all states are evil, it's just a question of to what extent.