Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.
as Brandenburg you should either become emperor yourself or dismantle it vOv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Quorum posted:

IIRC something like this is canonically how human civilization got going in Rahen and Cannor, the dwarves decided to pop by and shower the funny monkey people with fabulous wealth and architecture for the hell of it

arent dwarfs just even funnier monkeys

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Anbennar:
I was looking at the Mage estate privileges, and wondering if anyone has ever used them, particularly the Battlemage Academies (enables “battlemage mercenaries” and “war wizard generals” in exchange for 1 mil point a month) and Reduced Research Regulations (-2 dip rep in exchange for “increased chances of unregulated research events during ruler magical study”). Right now I can’t see much use for them. Also it’s annoying that they have an equivalent to the Merchants’ “-5% tax modifier for 0.5 yearly prestige” privilege except theirs cost 5% land too

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Jay Rust posted:

Anbennar:
I was looking at the Mage estate privileges, and wondering if anyone has ever used them, particularly the Battlemage Academies (enables “battlemage mercenaries” and “war wizard generals” in exchange for 1 mil point a month) and Reduced Research Regulations (-2 dip rep in exchange for “increased chances of unregulated research events during ruler magical study”). Right now I can’t see much use for them. Also it’s annoying that they have an equivalent to the Merchants’ “-5% tax modifier for 0.5 yearly prestige” privilege except theirs cost 5% land too

Battlemages Academies is absolutely wildly powerful and if you're going mage heavy (66%+ influence) then you have a very high chance of getting 8+ shock generals from the War Wizards part. Reduced Regulations is more for rogue pariah states like Esthil - the study event is good, though.

Also all this talk of Jadd'ing got me hankering for another run of it and, well:

Maniacal Cackling Intensifies. First time I've had conception hit first time with the best possible roll (non-0/0/0, wife lives)

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 5, 2022

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Regulations ends up helping a lot with research. It did a lot more my lich dragon ruler in getting all his magic disciplines maxed

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Rynoto posted:

Battlemages Academies is absolutely wildly powerful and if you're going mage heavy (66%+ influence) then you have a very high chance of getting 8+ shock generals from the War Wizards part. Reduced Regulations is more for rogue pariah states like Esthil - the study event is good, though.

Also all this talk of Jadd'ing got me hankering for another run of it and, well:

Maniacal Cackling Intensifies. First time I've had conception hit first time with the best possible roll (non-0/0/0, wife lives)

Speaking of, did you know this?

Shame about those numbers though :(

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Jay Rust posted:

Speaking of, did you know this?

Shame about those numbers though :(

Yep. Jaddari can't get Magical Elite though until much later, and then lose it when they go Empire. At least it's only prestige loss which is super easy to regain while jadding.

Also hell yeah Dorf Mage.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 6, 2022

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

It's a shame war wizards only have really high shock pips, that many fire pips with Ovdal Kanzad's artillery bonuses would be insane. You'd wipe armies through sheer kills before their morale ran out.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Bloody Pom posted:

It's a shame war wizards only have really high shock pips, that many fire pips with Ovdal Kanzad's artillery bonuses would be insane. You'd wipe armies through sheer kills before their morale ran out.

I saw a harpy war wizard with 8 siege which was bonkers. 8 Fire would be death.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I turned my magic-powered heir into a general (dwarves live 200 years, if he dies, plenty of time to make a new one) and he ended up having 1/2/1/0 :shrug:

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

I turned my magic-powered heir into a general (dwarves live 200 years, if he dies, plenty of time to make a new one) and he ended up having 1/2/1/0 :shrug:

Was there a 'turn heir into War Wizard' button for you to press? Rulers only get the bonus stats if one uses the 'turn ruler into War Wizard', but I don't remember if there's an equivalent for the heir.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

Did you not use the decision? I don't think I've ever seen a war wizard that doesn't have at least 5 shock.

E: Apparently the lowest possible shock is 6 for a zero mil ruler. 1 mil is 2 fire, 7 shock, 0 maneuver, 3 siege. 6 mil is 4 fire, 11 shock, 3 maneuver, 8 siege according to the files. - MagicRealm.100 for the hidden event that controls it.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jan 6, 2022

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Uh oh

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010
Yeah Anbennar can be annoyingly fiddly like that sometimes, mostly with the magic system.

edit: at least they can do most of what they're trying through the UI for MTs and province/country modifiers. tried MEIOU once or twice and found it offputtingly difficult to parse the different menus and whatnot. Not to mention it ran like rear end, where Anbennar is reasonably smooth.

Caustic Soda fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jan 6, 2022

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
At least the overhaul to magic learning made it far less annoying. There was also some chatter about giving magic a UI like the one used for races which would also allow expanding the system further.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010
That is a definite improvement, yes. Savescumming to have a shot at becoming a lich was not my idea of a good time. 'Course, now tribal mage rulers have practically no shot at getting to lichdom, but that small drawback is worth it. Hope the UI can be improved further with time.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Caustic Soda posted:

edit: at least they can do most of what they're trying through the UI for MTs and province/country modifiers. tried MEIOU once or twice and found it offputtingly difficult to parse the different menus and whatnot. Not to mention it ran like rear end, where Anbennar is reasonably smooth.

One of the reasons I want Paradox to hurry up and do EU5 is so that it can pick up the interface exposure that CK3 has. It would be very cool to see what the M&T crew could do with that much access to the UI.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Anbennar:
Got hit by the ABSURd goblintide event, hundreds of thousands of goblins rebels appearing in my provinces and breaking my country in less than two years, costing me maybe ten years of income and all of my stability

And now another disaster has reared its head and I’m thinking, is this what the warning on the nation selection screen was talking about

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yeah a disaster that spawns a nation from within my own with 2x my army and cutting my own force limit and income in half?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Jay Rust posted:

Yeah a disaster that spawns a nation from within my own with 2x my army and cutting my own force limit and income in half?

That one is actually avoidable if you know the event that triggers it. There’s something about a layer of rock with runes on it and you can choose “I can’t read that but it looks like a warning, better leave it alone” or “gently caress it yolo”

If you choose yolo you get hosed a few years later

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Is that the easternmost dwarf hold? If so I saw someone posting about that disaster on the Anbennar discord today and the response from the devs was “uh lol whoops looks like we missed a decimal point”

I’m playing Marrhold now and it’s a fun game, although it’s a little easy. The orcs to the north have a gold mine and once you get that you’re good to go with being the biggest kid on the block. You don’t get the huge troop stacks of the tribal starts but you also don’t have to deal with that whole exhausting nomadic system. The missions are cool and the wars of consolidation are coming up so things are about to get interesting in Escann.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Goblintide: is the one that pops up from the random Old Hold event while deepening the capital. It gives a permanent dev cost reduction and other goodies in exchange for a massive goblin rebellion. You also get some other bonuses from beating the disaster.

Obsidian Dwarf: is from the ultra-deep rock layer and has massive warning signs about breaking through - spawns a breakaway state and gives another buff if you beat them (also playable).

Hoardcurse: happens to dwarves who hit 150 income per month and is basically a giant reshuffling of society. Destroys your economy for a time but gives massive buffs for far longer. You'll get this every dwarf game.

Serpent's Rot: happens after an event about discovering a vast underground lake. Both options lead to the event firing years later and requires going through a long search and discovery process as a deadly plague spreads. Also unavoidable

Those are the common disasters you'll see in serpentspine dwarf games.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jan 7, 2022

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Well, at least it's appropriately digging too deep and too greedily.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

And now another disaster has reared its head and I’m thinking, is this what the warning on the nation selection screen was talking about

no, lol, because these are the avoidable disasters
you still haven't run into the unavoidable ones

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Rynoto posted:

Hoardcurse: happens to dwarves who hit 150 income per month and is basically a giant reshuffling of society. Destroys your economy for a time but gives massive buffs for far longer. You'll get this every dwarf game.

The only buffs that last beyond the end of the disaster are one that lasts until the current ruler's death (so could be a couple of days or almost 200 years) and a minor one that's as much drawback as buff depending what option you chose for the labour force part of ending the disaster.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Lot Dekkhang, the mercenary kingdom from the Haless branch of Anbennar are a fun way to change things up a bit. I don't usually use mercs much since the rework since they're expensive and tank professionalism but:

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Rynoto posted:

Goblintide: is the one that pops up from the random Old Hold event while deepening the capital. It gives a permanent dev cost reduction and other goodies in exchange for a massive goblin rebellion. You also get some other bonuses from beating the disaster.

Obsidian Dwarf: is from the ultra-deep rock layer and has massive warning signs about breaking through - spawns a breakaway state and gives another buff if you beat them (also playable).

Serpent's Rot: happens after an event about discovering a vast underground lake. Both options lead to the event firing years later and requires going through a long search and discovery process as a deadly plague spreads. Also unavoidable

Those are the common disasters you'll see in serpentspine dwarf games.

Do the Obsidian Dwarfs have a good mission tree to play? I've got them ticking up in my Ice Dwarf run and wondering if I should make a save fork to try them.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The Obsidian Dwarves do not have a mission tree yet. It's still a WIP on the discord.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Terrible Opinions posted:

The Obsidian Dwarves do not have a mission tree yet. It's still a WIP on the discord.

Murdering them tomorrow it is

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
Man, playing as the dwarves gets very sloggy near the end. I got past the disasters and am just grabbing the last few holds to reform the dwarven empire. The Command has ultra-blobbed in the bottom corner of the map. I think they have about 500k troops. I don't really know if I played this right. I feel like Anbennar really needs to be in a game with pops. I purged my orcs and goblins to turn them to dwarfdom, and my ideas are all the standard-ish mil/generally good ones. Should I be culture converting and religion converting away the goblins instead of purging, or even accepting the goblins (seems contrary to the lore?).

Unrelated, I console commanded my religion to Infernal Court in an Estil game, is there a way to legitimately switch to this religion or another evil one like it? It's got some neat mechanics.

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

I don't think I understand the black demesne gameplay. I had a great game as Ethil. Became a Lich. Conquered everything needed to win the escanni wars early. Unstoppable zombie hordes just steamrolling everything. The whole country perfectty developed, build up, converted and civilized.

And now I'm supposed to split up my country into multiple parts just to have vassals to ensure I have an heir I don't need since I'm a lich ? How am I supposed to get multiple vassals to have 20% of my development when I have over 3500 of it !

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Don't give away any of your home territory; just create a pair from whatever cast off / territorial you have and use the special CB with the highest territory split going to them. You'll get some maluses for a while to power cost but with your unstoppable death army it won't take long until they're loyal and once you finally get the full circle you can full conquer any nation in one go.

Antifa Spacemarine posted:

Unrelated, I console commanded my religion to Infernal Court in an Estil game, is there a way to legitimately switch to this religion or another evil one like it? It's got some neat mechanics.

It's linked to Moredhal which isn't done. You'll get an event in one of the areas that'll pop talking about a secret society and if you accept it'll change your reform to some awful spy growth thing. If you have that reform when you win the wars / early consolidate you can form Moredhal and go Infernal. You can test it by using the console flavor_moredhal.1 - that'll give the reform

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jan 7, 2022

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

MonikaTSarn posted:

I don't think I understand the black demesne gameplay. I had a great game as Ethil. Became a Lich. Conquered everything needed to win the escanni wars early. Unstoppable zombie hordes just steamrolling everything. The whole country perfectty developed, build up, converted and civilized.

And now I'm supposed to split up my country into multiple parts just to have vassals to ensure I have an heir I don't need since I'm a lich ? How am I supposed to get multiple vassals to have 20% of my development when I have over 3500 of it !

here's how you black demesne:
keep escann for yourself since you already own it and it's probably pretty built up by now
conquer the deepwoods and also keep that for yourself
go down the deepwoods branch of the mission tree until the end to attain infinite money to go with the infinite manpower that you already had from being esthil
at this point, no other territory you can acquire really matters at all, so hand out everything you conquer to acolytes in order to get access to the Black Invasion CB. use the CB to conquer even more and don't bother keeping any of it because you don't need it.
your acolytes will all initially be pissed off but that's fine because even at +1000% liberty desire they won't declare on you because you are a million times more powerful than they are. by the time you've plowed through the rest of cannor and let them split up between themselves they'll be happy enough and they'll all have over 20% of your development. at one point I even had one of my acolytes have more development than I did. this doesn't matter because you have infinite money and infinite manpower and they don't so you don't have to care.

Rycalawre
Nov 6, 2009

Antifa Spacemarine posted:

Man, playing as the dwarves gets very sloggy near the end. I got past the disasters and am just grabbing the last few holds to reform the dwarven empire. The Command has ultra-blobbed in the bottom corner of the map. I think they have about 500k troops. I don't really know if I played this right. I feel like Anbennar really needs to be in a game with pops. I purged my orcs and goblins to turn them to dwarfdom, and my ideas are all the standard-ish mil/generally good ones. Should I be culture converting and religion converting away the goblins instead of purging, or even accepting the goblins (seems contrary to the lore?).

I 100% agree. Got into playing Anbennar a few weeks ago based on the fact that 90% of posts in this thread breathlessly talk about it and while its a fantastic mod it really really shows up all the millions of weaknesses of EU4 as a system.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

Rycalawre posted:

while [Anbennar] is a fantastic mod it really really shows up all the millions of weaknesses of EU4 as a system.

That it does. In particular, find the mod far too eager to have massive disasters which are equally massively unfun. The serpentspine disasters are the most obvious, but the Deepwoods orcs also gets a disaster which lasts for-loving-ever. I'm told the Aelnar disaster is better than it used to be but last time I tried it (3-4 updates ago) was also just a slog of constant revolts.

Ostensibly, all these disasters are to keep one from running away with the game, but I don't see why being the uncontested hegemon of [insert tregion here] is more annoying/boring than dealing with constant revolts and/or bankruptcies. The disasters can and have caused me to end games earlier than I otherwise would.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Europa Universalis 4: Anbennar - It's like Stellaris, but in fantasy

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Caustic Soda posted:

That it does. In particular, find the mod far too eager to have massive disasters which are equally massively unfun. The serpentspine disasters are the most obvious, but the Deepwoods orcs also gets a disaster which lasts for-loving-ever. I'm told the Aelnar disaster is better than it used to be but last time I tried it (3-4 updates ago) was also just a slog of constant revolts.

Ostensibly, all these disasters are to keep one from running away with the game, but I don't see why being the uncontested hegemon of [insert tregion here] is more annoying/boring than dealing with constant revolts and/or bankruptcies. The disasters can and have caused me to end games earlier than I otherwise would.

I think there's like one guy on the design team who loving loves crippling disasters and it shows.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Aethernet posted:

I think there's like one guy on the design team who loving loves crippling disasters and it shows.

there is and he's the guy in charge of the serpentspine and aelantir content teams

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Maybe I'm also a massive disaster masochist but in my Zelezklan game the most enjoyable part was my knock-down drag out fight against the Obsidian Legion. The goblin disaster was pretty weak (it came late and wasn't much of a challenge against a bunch of full combat width armies) and the Sepent's Rot was just a matter of throwing money at it untilit went away, which wasn't much of a problem when I had the entirety of the Serpentspine west of the Tree of Stone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

losing is fun