Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

PeterPanda posted:

The face of someone who yells at the bathroom door at 3 am almost every day.

A perfect creature who has never done anything wrong in their life.

Pepper used to go through phases of sitting and crying outside bedroom doors in the middle of the night, until I got Peridot. It's not that Peridot necessarily keeps her company, it's that whenever she would start yelling Peridot would immediately come to see why Pepper was yelling and this would annoy Pepper into stopping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

How to stop the cat from knocking on doors at night? We don't let the cat into the office at night because there's too much dangerous stuff laying around. The cat takes this as a challenge and has several sessions a night where she'll sit in front of the door and try to dig through it with her paws. We've already affixed a plastic sheet to protect the door material, but the cat has discovered that she can move its corner, greatly expanding the door's musical potential.

From the poster above I take it a second cat might solve the problem, but that's not an option at the moment. Maybe sticky tape? The cat is allowed in the office when someone's inside, so we don't want any radical solutions like ssscat and the like.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

pidan posted:

How to stop the cat from knocking on doors at night?

One of mine likes to scratch doors pretty aggressively. I solved this problem by putting a big plastic tote full of stuff in front of the door. He seems to realize he's not going to get anywhere with it in the way and it's too heavy for him to move.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Fabulousity posted:

"scarfer-barfer" type that will keep going until it's all gone.

My torty is 100% this :argh: My vet told me the same thing, in the wild cats eat a bug here, a lizard there, they don't exactly sit down to 3 squares a day. She'll still go and sit in front of her little plate and wait for wet food every morning, but if I just give her a teaspoon or 2 she'll usually keep it down.

Usually.

This is my expression every time I hear the *hurk hurk* noises:

e:

pidan posted:

From the poster above I take it a second cat might solve the problem, but that's not an option at the moment. Maybe sticky tape? The cat is allowed in the office when someone's inside, so we don't want any radical solutions like ssscat and the like.

Shock mat is another option. Most of them have a few different power settings so you can set it to 'annoy' power rather than something that would actually shock them. Plus it usually only takes a few times and they'll just refuse to go near it. My sister has her 3 dogs tricked into thinking the shock mat by the front door is always on, I don't even know if it has batteries in it anymore :v:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 6, 2022

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I'm looking for product advice. Diana is an athlete, and she takes things up high as a personal insult. Then she figures out how to jump up to them and knock things off with her paw. For most of our things, this can be solved by picking them up again with museum wax, but I have a specific problem.

I want houseplants. I want plants (scented geraniums, hot peppers, other herbs) that are known to be toxic to cats. Diana likes to bite things. What I need is some sort of wall-mounted shelving system that has a closed front, and that I can install lights in. No, we don't have an Ikea within range. Do any of you have cat-proof shelves? Other suggestions? Alas, I don't have enough land to have greenhouse space.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

How high are you thinking? A system of floating shelves with no other climbable spots nearby should do the trick. If you set them at least five feet high off the ground and a good three feet from any horizontal surface you'd have a safe place for your plants. I dunno if you have any open space suitable, but a bunch of tchotckes and what have you are safe from my cats in that way.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

kw0134 posted:

How high are you thinking? A system of floating shelves with no other climbable spots nearby should do the trick. If you set them at least five feet high off the ground and a good three feet from any horizontal surface you'd have a safe place for your plants. I dunno if you have any open space suitable, but a bunch of tchotckes and what have you are safe from my cats in that way.

Our house is much too small for this to be practical. I'm going to need some sort of wall-mountable enclosed structure.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

pidan posted:

Sticky tape is very effective IME. My cats also respond well to bitter spray, even on doors, though YMMV on that one.

You did say you don't want to use something like SSSCat, but I've found it to be really useful for teaching my cats when they can and can't go places (counters, usually). I don't find that my cats get stressed out from it - they quickly learn that it's just unpleasant, but not something that they need to be afraid of / anxious about. You can also reload the thing with any old compressed air canister, so it's a relatively cheap option.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Our house is much too small for this to be practical. I'm going to need some sort of wall-mountable enclosed structure.

In my old apartment, I tried to resolve this by putting up two shelves - a wide one for my cat, and a shallower one that is underneath that to protect it from the cat. You could hollow out a recess in the bottom shelf to protect it further. It mostly worked, though I'm lucky that my cat wasn't super interested in trying to slap the plant.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Maybe a curio cabinet? Something like this would fit in a lot of spaces and be enclosed. It also comes with a light! You can also mount a kitchen cabinet somewhere too, no rule that says you have to use those in kitchens.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

kw0134 posted:

Maybe a curio cabinet? Something like this would fit in a lot of spaces and be enclosed. It also comes with a light! You can also mount a kitchen cabinet somewhere too, no rule that says you have to use those in kitchens.

Aha! That looks like exactly the right solution.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

At the vet with Socks for an emergency visit. She wasn't able to eat her treats this morning and I don't think she's been eating her dry food at all anymore, and barely picking through her wet food

She's almost 16 and as mentioned before has cancer/bad kidney's and I'm so worried it's her time. She was purring when I took her out of the carrier and snuggled closer, she never likes being held at all

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Any guesses as to why my cat squints one eye more than the other? When she was spayed a few months ago the vet noticed it and said they put dye in and didn’t see anything wrong. It’s usually not as pronounced as the pic.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

drunken officeparty posted:

Any guesses as to why my cat squints one eye more than the other? When she was spayed a few months ago the vet noticed it and said they put dye in and didn’t see anything wrong. It’s usually not as pronounced as the pic.

Going down the Google hole turned up these two articles which generally say the same thing:

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/horners-syndrome-in-cats
https://www.petmd.com/cat/conditions/eyes/c_ct_horners_syndrome

quote:

Horner’s syndrome itself doesn’t require any specific treatment, though your cat will need to be treated for the underlying causes leading to the symptoms of Horner’s syndrome. The medication and treatment protocol will depend on the underlying cause. If bite wound or ear infection is present, treatment is required for complete recovery, and eye medication can be prescribed to relieve the clinical signs.

Pretty kitty though. Her expression with the eyelid gives me Peter Falk Columbo vibes like she's saying, "Hey you didn't feed me this morning, that's fine. Honest mistake with no cause, right? But there's just one more thing... Why were you up until 5 AM playing Civ VI?"

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Elvis_Maximus posted:

At the vet with Socks for an emergency visit. She wasn't able to eat her treats this morning and I don't think she's been eating her dry food at all anymore, and barely picking through her wet food

She's almost 16 and as mentioned before has cancer/bad kidney's and I'm so worried it's her time. She was purring when I took her out of the carrier and snuggled closer, she never likes being held at all

Hey, I hope it didn't turn out to be a worst-case scenario and you and Socks are home now. Let us know how it went.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Hey, I hope it didn't turn out to be a worst-case scenario and you and Socks are home now. Let us know how it went.

Was pretty emotional, and still kind of a wreck this morning.

We did bring Socks home last night, and we swapped our new cat to being downstairs so she could have the bed and all her favorite places to lay. Unfortunately new cat managed to kramer through the gate at the top of the stairs so we had a bit of a cat kerfluffle afterwards!

Socks hasn't eaten anything since like 3 days ago I don't think, maybe 2? She did take some water, but that's about it. She's not even touching her favorite tuna snack. It's really hard, but unfortunately I think it's time to say goodbye to Socks. She looks so unsteady when she walks around, and can barely get up or down from the bed. She can't seem to use the litterbox either. The vet ran a full battery of tests yesterday, and her Kidney levels have crashed dramatically (apparently 5 is critical, but she's at almost 7 which is Very Bad). She was super dehydrated and everything, the whole nine yards. She seemed a little more chipper after the IV (which she hated getting), and we did take a kit home with us to give her more, but it doesn't seem like it's going to help long term.

I love her so much, and at least she got to spend the night in bed curled up in her favorite place against us. I feel bad for Sage who looks up to her so much as well, she's feeling awfully rotten as you'd imagine, so she's growling and hissing everytime he tries to get close to check on her. The appointment is at 2:30 right now, and luckily we have two other great cats to snuggle and keep us company afterwards I guess.

But man, is it hard

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'm so sorry, horrible situation and I can't imagine. Only you and your vet will really know if it's time. I'll be thinking of you a lot as I go through my day and hope things go as smoothly as possible for you given the circumstances.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

For a pet owner there are few acts of love greater than recognizing it's time to say goodbye. Best wishes and know that everyone here supports you in this difficult time.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

So do those microchip dry food feeders actually work well or will more assholish cats figure out how to get in? Been thinking about getting one to supplement my always hungry cat with dry food when she wants it by leaving it out but I don't want them eating each other's stuff and Finn will certainly eat hers if left out. This seems like a good solution but I've heard mixed things about them.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

So, we put socks to rest yesterday at the vet. We got to hold her in our lap and give her all the love at the end, and I like to think that really helped her in that moment be more comfortable and, hopefully, feel all the love.

I know there's a memorial thread so I won't make a big ole post, but I did want to share pictures

They're all from the last few years, but they're some of my favorite pictures of her. I need to dig up the really old pictures from when she was young

explosivo posted:

So do those microchip dry food feeders actually work well or will more assholish cats figure out how to get in? Been thinking about getting one to supplement my always hungry cat with dry food when she wants it by leaving it out but I don't want them eating each other's stuff and Finn will certainly eat hers if left out. This seems like a good solution but I've heard mixed things about them.

They work for our cats at least, and they constantly would try to get at each other's foods. If a cat was really persistent though they could I guess eat while the other cat does and the cover is open so ymmv

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

explosivo posted:

Someone (much) earlier in the thread said that one of their cats learned to operate the other's feeder by holding them down next to it.

However, apparently there are now chip feeders that can be set to only activate if no other chips besides the "correct" one are nearby, which should prevent such shenanigans.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Thanks all, I took the plunge. Hoping it works for us 🤞

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I'm so sorry, Elvis. She was clearly a Very Good Cat.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Elvis I'm sorry, that's heartbreaking.

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction
Really sorry for you, Elvis. Socks was a beautiful cat and from the photos, kind as well. At least you got to send her off with snuggles :(

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
So sorry about Socks, she lived to a ripe age.

We're a little worried about Katya and I wanted to ask for advice while we monitor the situation. She's gradually eating less and leaving food in her bowl (about a quarter to a third of her meal), something she's never done before. We have to take left-overs away before Kimchi gobbles them up, and most of the time we can goad her into eating all or most of them later.
Otherwise she seems absolutely fine, but I know how cats can be. Is it possible that she's becoming more of a grazer or should we make a vet appointment? She still gets excited before mealtime and digs right in, for now it seems like she's getting enough nutrition but it's a worrying change.

cat tax feat. the new bird feeders

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I keep watching videos like 'my deaf cat meows SO loud' and every time I compare them to my non-deaf cat. My cat is almost always meowing louder.

:negative: why are you like this??

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I'm sorry for your loss, Elvis. It sounds like she was truly beginning to suffer and it was the right time to say goodbye, even though it's the hardest decision to make.

big dyke energy posted:

I keep watching videos like 'my deaf cat meows SO loud' and every time I compare them to my non-deaf cat. My cat is almost always meowing louder.

:negative: why are you like this??

It's all circumstantial. My cat is normally the quietest thing, up until there was a bird in the house and I shut him in a different room until I could get it out. The pitiful meowing of a cat unable to fulfil its murderous instincts was both heartwrenching and deafening, louder than the time he got his claws tangled and needed rescuing.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

InvisibleMonkey posted:

So sorry about Socks, she lived to a ripe age.

We're a little worried about Katya and I wanted to ask for advice while we monitor the situation. She's gradually eating less and leaving food in her bowl (about a quarter to a third of her meal), something she's never done before. We have to take left-overs away before Kimchi gobbles them up, and most of the time we can goad her into eating all or most of them later.
Otherwise she seems absolutely fine, but I know how cats can be. Is it possible that she's becoming more of a grazer or should we make a vet appointment? She still gets excited before mealtime and digs right in, for now it seems like she's getting enough nutrition but it's a worrying change.

cat tax feat. the new bird feeders

Is she losing weight? How much does she weigh right now? Less appetite may not be a bad thing if she's been overweight but if she's normal and losing weight or historically underweight then it's vet time. Normally cats don't change their eating patterns (as opposed to taste preferences) but it's possible, because cats be cats, and so she may be trying to become a grazer. You should try to avoid that if possible but let's try to rule out any medical conditions first.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

kw0134 posted:

Is she losing weight? How much does she weigh right now? Less appetite may not be a bad thing if she's been overweight but if she's normal and losing weight or historically underweight then it's vet time. Normally cats don't change their eating patterns (as opposed to taste preferences) but it's possible, because cats be cats, and so she may be trying to become a grazer. You should try to avoid that if possible but let's try to rule out any medical conditions first.

She's very petite and very fluffy so it's hard to tell, the vet has told us before to keep an eye on her weight because she's been on the verge of getting too chunky for her size. We don't own a scale so I'll see if I can mcgyver something while we call the vet for advice.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

InvisibleMonkey posted:

She's very petite and very fluffy so it's hard to tell, the vet has told us before to keep an eye on her weight because she's been on the verge of getting too chunky for her size. We don't own a scale so I'll see if I can mcgyver something while we call the vet for advice.

If you mean no cat-sized scale, you can just weigh yourself on the human scale and then step on it again while holding the cat. If you don't have a human scale either, sorry for assuming!

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
Yeah, I meant we don’t own a human scale! Might get one for this purpose though, technically she should be light enough for the kitchen scale too if I can figure out how to get her on it.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

For my cat, I’d put a smallish cardboard box on the scale, tare it, and then just leave it there. Later on that day I would find her sleeping in the box and note the weight.

diadem
Sep 20, 2003
eet bugz
Are there supply chain issues with wet cat food (specifically chicken) right now, or am I just getting extraordinarily unlucky with my choice of delivery services?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes, we've been unable to get cases of our cat's favorite wet food for about a month now.

Tough time to be a picky cat.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

diadem posted:

Are there supply chain issues with wet cat food (specifically chicken) right now, or am I just getting extraordinarily unlucky with my choice of delivery services?

Canned cat food is in short supply, the only place I can find it with any sort of reliability is Walmart, and I'm guessing that it comes from being the largest retailer.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
yep, if I find the kind my cats eat I just buy a bunch of it because there's no guarantee it'll be in stock the next time

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Yeah I'm super worried about a steady supply of Harold's prescription foods for his urinary crystal prevention, between money being super tight and the supply issues it's scary. :negative:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Chewy has pretty consistently had the wet food I need. I've given up on amazon for now because it's just been so hard to get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

That would explain why my automatic subscriptions keep getting cancelled.