Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Hey brothers, just got my rating. I submitted end of Nov, so it moved pretty fast. I think what helped me get a quick rating was sitting down and building a package for each claim. Took a long time, approximately 20 hours of full prep. I felt like a lawyer building a case. I wrote a statement for each claim to walk them through it. Overall pleased I got 60% and got rated for all my foot and knee issues. They denied my tinnitus though, which is weird because I've served over five years in engine rooms, gun ranges, and 5 inch caliber big gun shoots. Not sure if I should claim again for tinnitus because I believe all the issues get re-evaluated again?

Like I said I submitted in Nov and get a relatively quick answer in two months. I had an intent to file from Jan, so I made it in under the 12 month cutoff from intent to file.

I should have filed as I was leaving active duty but I waited four years to do it. Thank you to all the veterans on this thread who provided a wealth of information and encouragement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Resubmit but have a VSO help you. I think they'll just retest hearing if you petition.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

life is killing me posted:

As an aside, my state put Veteran on my DL without hardly looking at me—I requested it and showed them my CAC that hasn’t been valid since 2012, and they shrugged and said, “good enough.” Ludicrous y’all can’t just take your DD214 to your DMV, why does a VSO have to be a middleman? That sounds absolutely unnecessary.
Yeah, in CT you have to submit your DD214 to the DVA and it somehow authorizes you to get the notifier on your license. I have no idea how that works, unless it triggers a flag in the DMV system or something. I suppose I should do it, to at least get myself in the system. To get disabled vet plates, you have to join the DAV. I suppose it's not much, and they're technically vanity plates, but if you were on a limited income, that might be a deal breaker for some folks. No clue if the state charges extra for them either...

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
That's ridiculous that you have to join an org to get access to a DV/HV plate. But different states do different things.

My DV plate was $7 and some paperwork from VBA showing 50%+ rating, with no renewal fees ever in Colorado. HV plates are for 100% here and have the wheelchair emblem on them. Colorado is great for vets.

In Tennessee, you need to show paperwork assigning a disability rating, but you still need to pay full price for the plate and annual renewals unless you're 100%, which is considered a permanent plate, never needing renewal. DV is 100% there, HV plates are for anything less.

If you have/get a 100% rating you need to find out if your state/county will waive your property taxes, too.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Totally ridiculous. I notice that some state gov run veterans affairs are just another flavor of the boomer/outdated culture of some of the veteran orgs like Legion or DAV. I'm not saying all are bad but they don't seem to provide much despite being part of state gov. Worst of all they are full of red tape and bureaucracy.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I helped my Vietnam vet father get his rating a few years ago (he got 50%, had a lot of issues including PTSD and was homeless for years following the war.).

I'm quite sure my dad undersold and held a lot back in the first pass of the process so I'm thinking of having him resubmit for another rating A friend of mine has a service he's using to resubmit where, but they charge something like 6x the increase they get you as a flat fee (no increase gets them no fee). Anyone ever used something like that vs a free vso org?

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

El Mero Mero posted:

I helped my Vietnam vet father get his rating a few years ago (he got 50%, had a lot of issues including PTSD and was homeless for years following the war.).

I'm quite sure my dad undersold and held a lot back in the first pass of the process so I'm thinking of having him resubmit for another rating A friend of mine has a service he's using to resubmit where, but they charge something like 6x the increase they get you as a flat fee (no increase gets them no fee). Anyone ever used something like that vs a free vso org?

6x increase for a flat fee? that maybe reasonable depending on the quality and reputation of service.

A friend of mine used a service where the provider charges nothing up front but gets paid 50% of the increase for a set time. He said it was worth it for him because the service walked him through everything and helped get Nexus letters through private providers to establish service connection.

On a separate note, now that I've received my rating, how often will I be sent to C&P again to confirm my disability? Also, how do I start getting treatment from the VA?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Howard Phillips posted:

6x increase for a flat fee? that maybe reasonable depending on the quality and reputation of service.

A friend of mine used a service where the provider charges nothing up front but gets paid 50% of the increase for a set time. He said it was worth it for him because the service walked him through everything and helped get Nexus letters through private providers to establish service connection.

yeah, it sounded reasonable to me as well - especially because I don't always have the bandwidth to do all of the hand holding and research that my dad needs to get anything done.

I'll need to do more research on the service. The person he recommended to me looks like they're out of vaclaimsinsider.com, which...not may not have the greatest reputation.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

El Mero Mero posted:

yeah, it sounded reasonable to me as well - especially because I don't always have the bandwidth to do all of the hand holding and research that my dad needs to get anything done.

I'll need to do more research on the service. The person he recommended to me looks like they're out of vaclaimsinsider.com, which...not may not have the greatest reputation.

I like the free info vaclaimsinsider provides but they give me some scummy vibes. Don't know any firsthand experiences using their paid service though.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
I'm a veteran looking to get out of paying rent and into actually owning a home. Can I get some help in getting/using a VA loan? Should I get my loan through Navy Federal, which I already have an account with, or Veteran's United, which is aggressively marketed on Google Search and apparently offers bundle benefits?

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

jwang posted:

I'm a veteran looking to get out of paying rent and into actually owning a home. Can I get some help in getting/using a VA loan? Should I get my loan through Navy Federal, which I already have an account with, or Veteran's United, which is aggressively marketed on Google Search and apparently offers bundle benefits?

You don't need to get financing through Navy Fed, USAA, or any specific service/veteran affiliated financial institution. With that said, Navy Federal has a decent reputation for providing good rates and service. USAA mortgage department is generally crap because they outsource it to another lender.

First thing I recommend doing is lots of research on the financials. I would watch YouTube videos, back of the envelope calculations, and honest look at your income etc... You should determine how much house you can afford without putting yourself at financial risk.

Second, do some market research on where you want to buy. What kind of property, condo, townhouse, or single family home. Each has advantages/disadvantages and only you can make the choices. Your budget from step 1 will also play a factor here.

Third, get your credit score through one of the federally sanctioned credit reporting companies. Then apply for pre-qualification through at least two lenders. This will determine your ceiling but keep in mind your own internal calculation for how much house you can afford. With pre-qual letter in hand you are ready to start shopping with a real estate agent and make an offer.

Four, happy shopping! Just be ready to pay 1-3% in closing costs. If you have VA disability you can get the VA funding fee waived.

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

jwang posted:

I used USAA, but I get insane amount of spam mail from random unknown providers. My experience with USAA was good. I was assigned a representative who worked with me on paperwork. There is no downpayment required, but there was a 2% processing fee that was rolled into the total mortgage amount. Check to see if there are any changes for Covid, it might be cheaper now.

Fed will also raise interest rates this year so make sure you get a good fixed rate too. I might have gotten a slightly lower rate with other provider, but I like having everything (home insurance, escrow for taxes, car insurance, etc.) under one provider, I feel that bug military credit unions are less shady than random financier.

You can always start an application under Navy Fed and see what interest they offer you. After that it is pretty straightforward.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

You also have a window where hard credit pulls all get grouped into one pull for credit reporting. So if you apply for a loan at Navy Fed and also apply for a loan at USAA or a local lender within 30 days (I think) it’ll count as one credit pull.

That means there is no harm in applying at two or three places and taking whoever offers the best interest rate.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Just got back from Navy Federal, apparently the time frame for credit pulls for things like home loans and auto loans is 7 days. Guess I better hit up all their competitors and see what's up.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

jwang posted:

Just got back from Navy Federal, apparently the time frame for credit pulls for things like home loans and auto loans is 7 days. Guess I better hit up all their competitors and see what's up.

Navy Fed gave that info? Everything I am pulling up online says it’s a 45 day window for mortgages.

https://www.mortgagematchmakers.com/what-is-the-mortgage-credit-check-window

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Cripes, trying to do Navy Fed's online application and holy hell this is complicated as hell. I HAVEN'T EVEN STARTED TOURING A HOUSE TO BUY, WHY ARE YOU ASKING ME THESE QUESTIONS?! DON'T YOU ALREADY HAVE ALL MY INFO?!

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

jwang posted:

Cripes, trying to do Navy Fed's online application and holy hell this is complicated as hell. I HAVEN'T EVEN STARTED TOURING A HOUSE TO BUY, WHY ARE YOU ASKING ME THESE QUESTIONS?! DON'T YOU ALREADY HAVE ALL MY INFO?!

I just did a mortgage through Navy Fed. Their online application was much easier than the other places I applied, specifically because they already knew all of my account balances.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

jwang posted:

I'm using navy fed - they ask those things because a lot of people already have a house in mind. Fill out what you can to the best of your ability and they'll get with you and sort out preapproval.

They've been asking me for a home contract for 3 months because I hadn't put in any offers until yesterday.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

jwang posted:

I assume you've got your VA certificate already? Just bear in mind that with the VA loan that while you do get out of paying PMI, sometimes fees can outweigh the benefit - my last mortgage was less expensive via traditional financing than going with a VA loan. Also, VA loans can be extremely difficult to get, due to the VA wanting a home to be essentially perfect before they will release a loan. If they see peeling paint, loose mortar, or things a lot of inspectors would consider relatively minor, they can deny the loan until the seller remediates - and in this market, that ain't gonna happen.

Here's what I've been told by both my real estate agent and a couple of loan officers: get qualified for a traditional loan. Base your budget using monthly payments off of a trad loan (include PMI) in case you find the house of your dreams and the VA denies the loan. Go in with the plan of using a VA loan, with the contingency of a trad loan in case the VA falls through.

Keep in mind that the order of operations for a seller are cash > trad loan > VA loan > FHA. Going in with a traditional as a backup is going to give them peace of mind, give you a fallback, and in very rare cases, possibly give you the upper hand in making an offer if the seller is someone with a soft spot for vets (my realtor says this is very rare - money talks louder than sentimentality.)

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
^^ That's great advice and in line with my experience buying a home late last year. I wanted to go VA because I'd heard so much about the benefits (like no PMI), but the added red tape would have made a purchase more difficult, if not impossible. In the end we were able to go with a traditional loan that was still in our price range.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
If you're planning to move into an area the USDA considers rural, you can apply for a Rural Development loan. They're typically lower rate than traditional mortgages and can be stretched to nearly 40 years. There's a map on the USDA RD website that breaks down which counties are rural or not.

You can't go whole hog and get hundreds of acres to farm under RD, but you can get a reasonable amount of acreage for a homesite without too much hassle.

BULLETKISS
Jul 3, 2003

OMG...just got my VA rating..100% permanent and total. I'm a bit in shock.

Time to research the bennies in Nevada!!

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

BULLETKISS posted:

Great news. If I remember correctly your disability check will run a month behind your retirement check. So if it doesn’t come the first time you get your retirement bucks, it’ll be on the way the next month.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

BULLETKISS posted:

One of the big ones you'll notice is the tax break. Use as much as you can on your vehicles, then the rest on your home if you own. Vehicles are taxed at a higher rate than property, so using it there first gives you the most bang for your buck. I recommend submitting the paperwork right away before you're an idiot and forget like I did. It has to be done before June to count.

BULLETKISS
Jul 3, 2003

Thanks for the tips! I'll keep an eye on my account and get the ball rolling on any paperwork right away.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Check into disabled plates, usually they're free or reduced and you don't pay for on street parking either.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Saw this floating around instagram on a couple of different pages

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

I think this is an improvement. VA.gov portal is much better than ebenefits and the app is actually useful.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Changes coming to ratings evaluations for apnea, tinnitus, and MH.

https://www.militarytimes.com/veterans/2022/02/15/vets-disability-benefits-for-tinnitus-mental-health-issues-may-change/

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Bit I read suggested they can only go up, not down.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, won't affect any current ratings, only evaluations going forward.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

I was denied for Tinnitus. I guess now you Tinnitus can only be rated as a symptom of another issue.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
How does going about seeing if you can get a disability increase work? My knees have been getting really bad as of late, and I'm a little concerned that if I get in to see someone, they're going to wind up lowering my rating. Can that happen?

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

berzerkmonkey posted:

How does going about seeing if you can get a disability increase work? My knees have been getting really bad as of late, and I'm a little concerned that if I get in to see someone, they're going to wind up lowering my rating. Can that happen?

The way I understand is that if you file for increase, you will be scheduled for another C&P exam. That exam could end up lowering your rating. Not sure if filing for one condition increase will automatically trigger C&P for all other conditions. Anyone know?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Howard Phillips posted:

The way I understand is that if you file for increase, you will be scheduled for another C&P exam. That exam could end up lowering your rating. Not sure if filing for one condition increase will automatically trigger C&P for all other conditions. Anyone know?

I don't think that it does. I filed for an increase on my knees (and got it - saw a non-VA doc who was like "gonna do what I can to get as much as I can get you") and they only looked at my knees.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

The MH changes seem interesting, especially because the test group they evaluated under the new system almost universally increased in rating

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
The MH changes might be beneficial for me enough to file for re-eval. IU is fine and all, but there's a solid chance they just put me at 100% for MH and call it a day. No idea how long IU is supposed to last or when I'll be re-evaled for it.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

McNally posted:

I don't think that it does. I filed for an increase on my knees (and got it - saw a non-VA doc who was like "gonna do what I can to get as much as I can get you") and they only looked at my knees.

The non-VA doc you saw - was that scheduled through the VA system (i.e. filing a claim) or was this you going to a specialist and then submitting?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

berzerkmonkey posted:

The non-VA doc you saw - was that scheduled through the VA system (i.e. filing a claim) or was this you going to a specialist and then submitting?

It was scheduled through the VA.

I even got paid mileage!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

McNally posted:

It was scheduled through the VA.

I even got paid mileage!

Ok, that's how my initial evals went. I'm going to check my approval date and make sure it's over a year and resubmit. Thanks.

EDIT: I went ahead and contacted DAV to see what I should do. They just went ahead and initiated the claim. Guess that answers that.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 17, 2022