Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gormless goblin
Sep 16, 2021

I just got pushed gently caress You, It's January on the YT frontpage and I was like "haha its that time of year" but i'm pretty sure that gets pushed to me in july as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

gormless goblin posted:

I just got pushed gently caress You, It's January on the YT frontpage and I was like "haha its that time of year" but i'm pretty sure that gets pushed to me in july as well

I find YouTube gets hung up on specific episodes of channels it knows you like. It's been trying to push the same episode of Closer to Truth on me for like 5 months now.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
YouTube just knows that gently caress You It’s January isn’t confined to just January anymore

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
guess who's not coming to dinner

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

gormless goblin posted:

the gently caress You It's January video from 2015 opens with a SARS joke lel

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

HannibalBarca posted:

the gently caress You It's January video from 2015 opens with a SARS joke lel

lmao HFR

e: "gently caress you, it's YEAR"

gormless goblin
Sep 16, 2021

I recently listened to an old film podcast from when Contagion came out and that was a surreal interview to listen back to

PostNouveau posted:

I find YouTube gets hung up on specific episodes of channels it knows you like. It's been trying to push the same episode of Closer to Truth on me for like 5 months now.
I think I've only watched that video twice but holy moly Twister's Revenge, must have watched that sucker 20 times already

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah you have to manually click "🚫 not interested" otherwise it will not leave your recommendation list ever.

YT does not loving know how to take a hint.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Do you even know stephen what being ENGAGED is all about

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

youtube can engage my nuts at warp speed 9.7

gormless goblin
Sep 16, 2021

Eastbound Spider posted:

youtube can engage my nuts at warp speed 9.7

be careful not to go any faster you'll turn into a lizard and gently caress captain janeway

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

gormless goblin posted:

be careful not to go any faster you'll turn into a lizard and gently caress captain janeway

Sounds pretty good tbh

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I took a peek at the Star Trek thread in TVIV and they were raving about the latest episode of Star Trek Prodigy. From their description it was a bunch of 'remember this' poo poo, so I had to check it out of curiosity.

It was insultingly bad. The episodes A plot is the captain kid takes the Kobayashi Maru test. The simulation puts him on the bridge of the Enterprise-D (or at least another Galaxy class ship), for the crew, the simulation has him pick characters from the database. He picks Crusher, Uhura, Scotty, Spock, and...Odo?

Why Odo I have no clue because he has zero starship combat knowledge.

Anyway, the insulting part is that aside from Crusher, they just recycled audio clips from those characters. I guess McFadden did the voice work. But the others is just awful because they're saying all these lines that you heard in different episodes in a totally different context. It's almost as bad as Tarkin-ing someone.

I shouldn't be surprised that the Trek thread would be into a kids show, but holy gently caress that was awful.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

stephenthinkpad posted:

Yeah you have to manually click "🚫 not interested" otherwise it will not leave your recommendation list ever.

YT does not loving know how to take a hint.

Yeah, I'm afraid it'll stop showing me new poo poo from that channel if I do that though. I'm just not interested in that particular video.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Jose Oquendo posted:

Anyway, the insulting part is that aside from Crusher, they just recycled audio clips from those characters. I guess McFadden did the voice work. But the others is just awful because they're saying all these lines that you heard in different episodes in a totally different context. It's almost as bad as Tarkin-ing someone.

:ughh:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Sounds like the kid is just an odo stan. And hell who can blame him

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

No Mods No Masters posted:

Sounds like the kid is just an odo stan. And hell who can blame him

I can't believe you're going to make me do this, but in the context of the show, he literally has no idea who these people are. He picked them at random.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, I'm afraid it'll stop showing me new poo poo from that channel if I do that though. I'm just not interested in that particular video.

You click"not interested > reason > I have seen it already"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

stephenthinkpad posted:

You click"not interested > reason > I have seen it already"

ooo, excellent thanks!

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
We'll finally be free from the scourge of Red Letter Media.

Driftingmouse
May 26, 2021

by Fritz the Horse
Patreon Update:

Hey everyone! We've been spending the first week of January doing a lot of much needed behind the scenes housekeeping and just general recharging. But pretty soon we'll be doing our yearly catch-up/re-cap episode of Half in the Bag. A lot of movies but also a lot of TV stuff this time. We're planning to do a back-to-basics normal three movie Best of the Worst later this month as well, and we've also been working here and there on a couple other long-term projects we'll hopefully have more info on later in the year. Happy new year!

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Driftingmouse posted:

Patreon Update:

Hey everyone! We've been spending the first week of January doing a lot of much needed behind the scenes housekeeping and just general recharging. But pretty soon we'll be doing our yearly catch-up/re-cap episode of Half in the Bag. A lot of movies but also a lot of TV stuff this time. We're planning to do a back-to-basics normal three movie Best of the Worst later this month as well, and we've also been working here and there on a couple other long-term projects we'll hopefully have more info on later in the year. Happy new year!

Long term projects?

Space Cop 2!

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I feel like "long term projects" have generally referred to plinkett reviews. Or sometimes the narrative half in the bag episodes

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
They've been trying to wash the stink off of Rich Evans back.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

mallratcal posted:

Long term projects?

Previously Recorded: The Movie

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

PostNouveau posted:

this made groan irl

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

bring back gamestation 2000 or whatever it was

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Jose Oquendo posted:

I took a peek at the Star Trek thread in TVIV and they were raving about the latest episode of Star Trek Prodigy. From their description it was a bunch of 'remember this' poo poo, so I had to check it out of curiosity.

TVIV is something... I've been following the Wheel of Time thread and there's a dude who's been doggedly defending the honor of the show against all comers even before any episodes dropped. Just pages and pages of "nuh-uh, it's good" basically. Some major tying up of identity with a media property, unlike me and my friend Rich Evans.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

PostNouveau posted:

Also called Rich Evans trying to beat the XCOM 2 tutorial

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Pham Nuwen posted:

TVIV is something... I've been following the Wheel of Time thread and there's a dude who's been doggedly defending the honor of the show against all comers even before any episodes dropped. Just pages and pages of "nuh-uh, it's good" basically. Some major tying up of identity with a media property, unlike me and my friend Rich Evans.

There's posters and threads like that all over SA. You can literally get run out of threads for posting negative opinions on the topic.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Space Kablooey posted:

I think you mean Quick Cuts

https://youtu.be/LaLOLyrT6vU

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Space Kablooey posted:

i legit thought it was good. if you remove the parts where they actually discuss the video game its very good

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I figure if they stop doing a certain show it's because they just aren't into it. I could be wrong but I don't think they really care about views and all that Youtube poo poo.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

It was insultingly bad. The episodes A plot is the captain kid takes the Kobayashi Maru test. The simulation puts him on the bridge of the Enterprise-D (or at least another Galaxy class ship), for the crew, the simulation has him pick characters from the database. He picks Crusher, Uhura, Scotty, Spock, and...Odo?

Going to the Kobayashi Maru well again is pretty sad. Constant references only worked in that one episode of lower decks where they mocked all the movies. I've been a hate watcher of new star trek from the beginning, but I just can't bring myself to watch any of the new discovery anyway. I think the season is half way over and the prospect of watching 7+ episodes in a row of it makes me want to die. Prodigy is a straight up kids show so it never held any relevance to me.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The Kobayashi Maru is apparently the only test Starfleet Academy gives its cadets. The main takeaway from 3 years of training is "You'll probably die out there with no chance of escape."

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Space Kablooey posted:

I remember Jack talking about how frustrating those were to watch because the footage never matched what Rich was talking about since Jay and Mike, who edited them, have no interest or understanding of video games at all.

Lister posted:

Going to the Kobayashi Maru well again is pretty sad. Constant references only worked in that one episode of lower decks where they mocked all the movies. I've been a hate watcher of new star trek from the beginning, but I just can't bring myself to watch any of the new discovery anyway. I think the season is half way over and the prospect of watching 7+ episodes in a row of it makes me want to die. Prodigy is a straight up kids show so it never held any relevance to me.

Disco season 4 won’t make you want to die but it will make you want to fall asleep and never wake up, subtle difference but I’ll call it an improvement

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

PostNouveau posted:

The Kobayashi Maru is apparently the only test Starfleet Academy gives its cadets. The main takeaway from 3 years of training is "You'll probably die out there with no chance of escape."

its the stupidest test in the world when you take it out of the wrath of khan context

"your orders are to go to this spot and stay there until you die or hit an integer overflow error"

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Jose Oquendo posted:

I can't believe you're going to make me do this, but in the context of the show, he literally has no idea who these people are. He picked them at random.

Odo wasn't even part of Starfleet!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
"They call me Mr.Tibbs" is one of the best delivered lines in movie history.

Even better than "I coulda been a contender," if you ask me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Whorelord posted:

Odo wasn't even part of Starfleet!

"well achtukally he never resigned his bajoran militia commission and they were just rolled into starfleet"