Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I absolutely love that EDF fully understands their tone and fanbase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

LeFishy posted:

World Brothers is on sale for £27 on switch for a couple weeks. How is the switch port? Worth 27 quid? I really want an EDF style game on here and while Risk of Rain 2 is very very good it doesn't quite scratch the same itch, yknow?

I get weird stuttering on World Brothers for Switch, but I don't see it from a lot of other Switch players, so you would probably be fine.

Glorious :golfclap:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
What looks like new end game stuff in the latest episode. The Big Bad may be named Kruuls.
They showcased a giant portal. I expect a battle with giant battleships coming through it or robots that transform into one.
There are a new kind of dropship transporting Kruuls that you can destroy.
An enemy generator that is shielded and armed.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
D3 updated the site with some pictures of the new enemies and they just revealed the worst enemy ever created in EDF: A teleportation anchor that shields itself and can attack. It can only be killed from pretty much point blank range apparently. Though the prospect of spiders with electrical webs that can stun you sounds even worse.

quote:

A new type of teleportation anchor whose appearance of android has been confirmed from the surroundings. Equipped with an electromagnetic shield to protect the weak points of the upper transfer device. It also has a tentacle-like battery that can attack in all directions. As with the conventional type, the operation must be stopped promptly as soon as it is discovered.

nerdz fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 7, 2022

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It is rather terrible to deal with in action. Hopefully, you can wear down the shielding with enough firepower or EDF6 is going to be a little more team-oriented compared to EDF5. Not that it is a bad thing. Rushers are going to get punished with underpowered weapons.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Is EDF6 out in Japan yet? The quick googling seemed to indicate a release date of 2022 for Japan and no confirmation yet for a West release. Is there any more information than that out there?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
EDF6 is TBD.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Well, Ranger rocket launchers being able to hit any target in line of sight had a good run...

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Just wanted to say I've been playing this for the last month on Steam, there's still a fine online community with plenty of games available daily and I'm having tons of fun exterminating IN-SECTS and listening to bizarrely anti-immigrant rants from my AI squadmates.

Wing Divers may have a jetpack but Fencers fly.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
A video with some useful information this time.
Half the enemy cast is sea/water creature themed. We have what may be clam drones, starfish, inklings, mermen, frogs, Metal Slug aliens, brain coral.
Trashcan kamikazes explode when they die.
Mermen have attacks like the Kaiju from the last game and Queens.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Certain enemies in the base game now use flamethrowers. Not sure if the giant humans used flamethrowers as well in the base game like they could in the DLC.
Pickups now have an animation of icon popups or regeneration bubbles.
There seems to be even more blood mist effects and smoke that linger. It looks like it will choke certain consoles.

Valdent
Mar 16, 2016
It better have massive frame drops and slowdown. It's just not the same when a big explosion doesn't cause the game to drop to sub 15fps as effects trigger and spread.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
This is the company that, when asked if porting older games to more powerful consoles would fix the framerate issues, replied that they instead added more bugs and explosions. :allears:

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Shine posted:

This is the company that, when asked if porting older games to more powerful consoles would fix the framerate issues, replied that they instead added more bugs and explosions. :allears:

Drakenel posted:

I absolutely love that EDF fully understands their tone and fanbase.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Release date is scheduled on 8/25.

Known Hololive DLC Pure Decoys are Mio, Ayame, and Fubuki.
It looks like Rangers can use these decoys. You get one shot and a 40 second recharge time. Only saving grace is they finally autocharge. Might also be stuck on other players and incapacitate them.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 30, 2022

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
New kaiju that is as large as the red mutated Erginus if not bigger. A dragon boss fight that breathes fire and flies. Can also appear in cave missions.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Christ, I desperately hope it's not a rehash of the giant dragon from 4.1. That was one of the most painful and annoying boss fights in the series.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm fine with fighting giant monsters but not if they are invincible. even worse is when they are invincible but the game doesn't tell you.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The timed Kaiju fights in 5 did feel draining. One enemy or with a couple dozen supports and then an endurance fight with few pickups.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Going from 4 to 5 I was surprised they still thought having to fight something for 20 straight minutes before it runs off was a good idea. Those are easily my least favorite levels.

VVVV :byodood:

Leal fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jun 3, 2022

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The nasty thing about some of the Erginus appearances in 5 is that they're not timed, you have to do a certain amount of damage, but there's no indication at all that you're actually accomplishing anything by shooting at the monster.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Kanos posted:

The nasty thing about some of the Erginus appearances in 5 is that they're not timed, you have to do a certain amount of damage, but there's no indication at all that you're actually accomplishing anything by shooting at the monster.

The saving grace for this is that there's not much else to do in EDF than shoot anything that looks mean or cute.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Can't remember 4 but in 5 if you shoot a big monster and get the big purple blood effects you're doing real damage to a real hp number and the game wants you to keep doing it. Like as soon as they "turn off" and begin to leave the map the effects stop appearing

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
The true struggle when replaying EDF games is i always remember being able to take down the carrier ships at least three missions before they actually let you

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Decoys cause erginus and archie to run off the map until the effect wears off.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

lets hang out posted:

Can't remember 4 but in 5 if you shoot a big monster and get the big purple blood effects you're doing real damage to a real hp number and the game wants you to keep doing it. Like as soon as they "turn off" and begin to leave the map the effects stop appearing

Pretty sure that's 5, and in maps where the giant monsters are killable Erginus will gradually start glowing purple and Archelus will get a gnarly flayed-skin effect when they're taking mortal damage.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Air Raider will have three weapons, a throwable, and able to spawn a vehicle.
Rangers will also have a vehicle slot and the bike doesn't seem to take damage for running into stuff.
I think the physics have changed to allow you do make GTA stunts with vehicles and maybe getting tanks to do flips if you try hard enough.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Does World Bros on switch require wifi to do multiplayer? I gave up trying to read through reviews to figure this out.

From what I'm reading it's not the perfect co-op airplane game like I was hoping it would be.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
They finally gave Depth Crawlers some health by a magnitude. It moved slow as hell, so it wasn't a high level. Probably too slow to notice if it still had the speed increase if you move diagonally. It now has a dash move.
Vehicles seem to be getting a lot of attention this time.
Bees now come out of small nests like they were ant hills from the older games.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I wonder if they'll bring back battle hymn of the republic as a melody because it was both perfect in 4 and also an excellent parody of a song I normally don't care for.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Anything's better than the new ones they tried to write for 5.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Any ideas when EDF6 will release in the states? I want to play it already!

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Cowman posted:

Any ideas when EDF6 will release in the states? I want to play it already!

It has a JP release date of Aug 25.

If the gap from JP -> EN console -> PC is anything like EDF5, we'll be getting it on PS4/PS5 next August, then on PC early 2024 or so.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Pneub posted:

Anything's better than the new ones they tried to write for 5.
I vaguely remember the one about shooting down flying saucers being pretty okay, at least.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Rhyming "aliens" and "homosapiens" owned. The EDF 4 song was way more catchy, though.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Whatever they decide for 6, hopefully they'll remember to let Wing Divers sing too.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I am looking forward to more decoys.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I hope it goes the XCOM route and we get some Earth Defense Frogs

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
They have a demo of the three hololive decoys and they show end game spoilers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

I hope it goes the XCOM route and we get some Earth Defense Frogs

They look just like us!

Now cosmonauts on the other hand,