Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
WOW was the opposite for me.
People saying the endgame was when the fun began, but no actually that's when any and all interest I had nosedived off the face of the planet. Because the fun part was exploring and leveling up in the over-world. Not grinding hours long misery sessions with tedious people who have run each dungeon 1000 times before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Barudak posted:

FFXIV is so much busy work for a story that I couldn't begin to give a poo poo about because it itself, felt like busy work. Like all MMOs the promise of "this is when you have fun" is off in the future somewhere except instead of just mindlessly grinding Im also mindlessly sitting through cutscenes.

I'm sorry you don't like modern video games might I suggest reading books?

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Barudak posted:

FFXIV is so much busy work for a story that I couldn't begin to give a poo poo about because it itself, felt like busy work

Sometimes it wasn't even quiet about the fact that it was wasting your time. There was a quest in the first interlude msq where you're in the middle of some big scary monster crisis or something and your clubhouse secretary insists you go half way across the world to pick leaves for a tea ceremony or some pointless bullshit

Honestly the number of quests in that game that amount to making your character go do menial tasks for some idiot who probably also insults you was exhausting

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

syntaxfunction posted:

Exposure and Response Prevention therapy.

Expose yourself to videogames and prevent the usual gamer response. I think a lot of gamers need this.

lol

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Grape posted:

People saying the endgame was when the fun began, but no actually that's when any and all interest I had nosedived off the face of the planet. Because the fun part was exploring and leveling up in the over-world. Not grinding hours long misery sessions with tedious people who have run each dungeon 1000 times before.

Yeah I just like engrossing myself in fantasy worlds and reading/seeing interesting poo poo. I could give an absolute gently caress about ranking, completion, accomplishment, whatever illusory poo poo they dangle in front of you to keep you playing.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Grape posted:

I think that the endgame of an mmo is the worst part for most people, but sometimes they're in denial over it. Maybe they just don't want to lose the friendships they made along the way and raid content is just the bitter pill that they have to swallow? idk something like that

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Ff14 has the busiest HUD I've ever seen in any game and the world is not as fun to explore because you are invisible walled everywhere

Don't get me wrong I'm no wow apologist, i only ever got a frost mage to level 64 but its just a much better game

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Yeah ff14s hud is completely unusable out of the box. I havent played the game in 2 years at this point and I'm actually dreading having to sort all that poo poo out again when I finally get around to playing endwalker

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

also while i agree i make too many posts in this thread and in general am addicted to playing videogames despite seeming to hate them, i will never say a slur against a first person shooter

genuinely think i love the bioshock games more than anyone on this forum

Please list your opinions on each Bioshock game individually (with 2 and Infinite's DLCs counting as separate games) so I can judge you appropriately. :colbert:

Grape posted:

Remembering the time City of Heroes' lead dev decided the game needed to be endgame focused and after the fact admitted that he struggled to conceive why anyone would want to play more than one character, a character that would just infinitely get stronger as they grinded out obscenely stingy raid content. His single olive branch to the idea was "well uh, maybe if your guild needed a healer or something".

For context, City of Heroes was a game where at its prime I had like 60-80 characters across two accounts. And that's actually on the low end compared to other people I know.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

I think that the endgame of an mmo is the worst part for most people, but sometimes they're in denial over it. Maybe they just don't want to lose the friendships they made along the way and raid content is just the bitter pill that they have to swallow? idk something like that

When you want to explore and feel a sense of progression, the endgame is when MMOs get terminally dull. But that's where the majority of people who play MMOs for the long term dwell, so that's where companies put all of their focus. Actually making the whole experience fun to play so that people can have a good time throughout? Don't be silly, MMOs are for hard core raiding only!

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

John Murdoch posted:

Remembering the time City of Heroes' lead dev decided the game needed to be endgame focused and after the fact admitted that he struggled to conceive why anyone would want to play more than one character, a character that would just infinitely get stronger as they grinded out obscenely stingy raid content. His single olive branch to the idea was "well uh, maybe if your guild needed a healer or something".

For context, City of Heroes was a game where at its prime I had like 60-80 characters across two accounts. And that's actually on the low end compared to other people I know.

:hmmyes:

Mid level gameplay where your more complex abilities start to come online but there's still a sense of exploration and danger has always been the most interesting part of MMOs to me. the genre's pivot towards the mid levels just being a theme park ride speed bump you deal with as fast as possible to get to end game really sucks

Barudak
May 7, 2007

They've got to keep you playing and paying so its all endgame stuff with the exception of, like, Sea of Thieves since it has no real character progression

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

John Murdoch posted:

It's kinda fuckign amazing considering the game's whole appeal was doing different from every other game on the market that had exactly the same mindset, with the whole deal being more than one option for content as you levelled up

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Anyone who has hit max level in any MMORPG should not post opinions on videogames. It's not that I think you're opinion is worthless it's that I know nobody who has can possibly have any opinions that aren't worthless.

Everquest like 14ish maybe beats me never very high
Dark Age of Camelot 20ish.
City of Heroes 14ish? I don't remember.
World of Warcraft 54ish I think.
Clanlord, uhhh no such thing as a max level really. Not really "massive" either.
Anarchy Online. I don't remember I'll say like 11.

Anyway MMORPGs are bad and people should feel bad for enjoying games that I don't.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Duck and Cover posted:

Anyway MMORPGs are bad and people should feel bad for enjoying games that I don't.

:same:

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
New Opinion:
Donkey Kong ‘94 has the best plot twist in gaming, no, in human storytelling.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Duck and Cover posted:

Anyone who has hit max level in any MMORPG should not post opinions on videogames. It's not that I think you're opinion is worthless it's that I know nobody who has can possibly have any opinions that aren't worthless.

Clanlord, uhhh no such thing as a max level really. Not really "massive" either.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I think I am level 11 in Elder Scrolls Online. I got it in January last year. I actually play it sometimes. I think that's worse than if I was max level honestly.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Yeah we know you can't read and just have an AI pick what meme to post. I'm on to you!

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Duck and Cover posted:

I question the sanity of anyone who played more than one mmorpg yet complains about them as a genre

like, did sticking your dick in the beehive not teach you the first time?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Excelzior posted:

I question the sanity of anyone who played more than one mmorpg yet complains about them as a genre

like, did sticking your dick in the beehive not teach you the first time?

Look it may be buzzing with bees but I can wear a skimpy bathing suit and it's scifi themed. HOW DARE YOU JUDGE ME!

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 7, 2022

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
the best mmo is minecraft. You can find a diamond and reach the end game in 10min

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

syntaxfunction posted:

I think I am level 11 in Elder Scrolls Online. I got it in January last year. I actually play it sometimes. I think that's worse than if I was max level honestly.

I picked it up for $5 a couple of months ago thinking I could just play it as a single player RPG. It's pretty boring and I think I'm stalled out around level 10.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
I avoided MMOs growing up mainly because I never had a good PC.

I first ran into openly proud WOW players irl - they hated ‘normal’ video games and would drive around in Honda Del Sols and play WOW at diners.

It just completely turned me off to the genre.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I liked early WoW, I was for sure one of the millions who never played an MMO before WoW exploded. There were tons of us like that and it was fun figuring out stuff and making friends with like minded new players - Levelling up was new to me, the vastness of the world blew my mind (I was playing Half Life before WoW). The fact that there were capital cities with shops, and a loving auction house where other people from around the world could sell me stuff. Just amazing to me at the time.
It was wild as gently caress and I loved it.
Then the expansion came out and everything was basically re set, I didn't want that, I didn't like that. Suddenly it felt like a treadmill, all the cool idiots I first played with now knew enough about the game to be looking at guides, min maxing, they left me behind quickly.
So I diched it, I have since played loads of MMOs but never once reached level cap, I play them to dick around in, explore and have fun until I am bored. I dip in and out of them maybe once a year each, got an itch to play Guild Wars 2 at the moment.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I had a thought just recently; what if I tried Dota 2 again.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

John Murdoch posted:

Please list your opinions on each Bioshock game individually (with 2 and Infinite's DLCs counting as separate games) so I can judge you appropriately. :colbert:

Bioshock 1 rules, it's got maybe my favourite ever setting for a videogame, yeah the end boss is terrible and it does kind of fall apart for the last 10% generally but in terms of presentation, story, the richness of those audio diaries, world design I think its just one of the greatest games ever made even if the shooting feels a bit naff. Played it start to finish maybe 4 times over the years.

Bioshock 2 just didn't work for me, it felt far far too much like "quick make a sequel", they improved the gameplay in subtle ways but the story just did felt so tacked on. I played about 6 hours and just never went back.

Infinite has a lot of memorable moments, the plot is dumb and stupid but yeah its a time travel videogame what did you expect, I don't love it nearly as much as 1 just because a city in the sky felt less impactful than a city under the sea and it takes away from the creepy horror element that I really go for but its a decent enough time. Played it start to finish once at release.

Haven't touched the DLCs which is just a general rule I have for games unless I'm buying them at the same time in an Ultimate edition or whatever.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Duck and Cover posted:

I had a thought just recently; what if I tried Dota 2 again.

I can't give you a serious, empathetic and considerate answer without knowing your previous level of habit and why you stopped

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

As long as the PvP and guild/fleet stuff is completely optional, I can tolerate other people hanging around in my single player story.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I can't give you a serious, empathetic and considerate answer without knowing your previous level of habit and why you stopped

https://www.dotabuff.com/players/23357135

I got bored/banned from the dota thread/kept getting put into low priority queue for going mid with heroes that are typically put mid. Anyway I downloaded it and it wants me to have 100 hours to play ranked so I'll probably not do that. I have 1473 hours played. Really I enjoyed Dota 2 and didn't leave thinking "god drat this game sucks".

Besides how could someone be mad with that many games of Axe? Hmmmm? Axeactly.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 7, 2022

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Cracker King posted:

I avoided MMOs growing up mainly because I never had a good PC.

I first ran into openly proud WOW players irl - they hated ‘normal’ video games and would drive around in Honda Del Sols and play WOW at diners.

It just completely turned me off to the genre.

They probably work at blizzard now

Or worked, considering how many layoffs they do

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Duck and Cover posted:

https://www.dotabuff.com/players/23357135

I got bored/kept getting put into low priority queue for going mid with heroes that are typically put mid. Anyway I downloaded it and it wants me to have 100 hours to play ranked so I'll probably not do that. I have 1473 hours played.

oh gently caress Duck and Cover, where to begin

a lot has changed in dota in 7 years, some heros have had full reworks, every hero has an aghs sceptre upgrade, and an aghs shard upgrade, heck i don't even remember if it was on source 1 or source 2 when you stopped but if it was still 1 you'll have a nicer interface and a smoother feeling game

aw man Axe is your most played hero, drat, his aghs spectre now makes him battle hunger every enemy he catches in his taunt and his aghs shard gives him a +10% counter helix chance and everytime it hits an enemy it makes them do 20% less damage to Axe which can stack up to 100%

there will also be a bunch of new items, including neutral items which drop from jungle creeps now but who cares, go axe and buy blink, blademail, bkb and you are 3/4 of the way there

If nothing else I'd recommend you play a game or 2 just to see how different its became, even if its with just bots. My buddy who got up to like 3800 mmr or so got totally burnt out, took a 3 year break and only plays bot games to gently caress around and have fun thesedays

even as a dota lover though the overarching rule applies, don't play alone and don't play without some kind of intoxicant in your system, preferably a combination

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

the invoker combos are still seared in to my brain even tho i haven't played in like 5 years, blinking in then tornado > meteor > deafening blast > refresher > meteor > deafening blast was the tits

e: and by combos i mean the actual key binds, can't remember the name of a band or song nowadays but still remember eew meteor wwq tornado qwe def blast eee sunstrike etc gently caress

razamataza fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 7, 2022

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

FF14 blows. I never got into MMORPGs, but people kept saying it worked as a single player game. I managed to get friends together and we still got bored by the tedious gameplay. The story was just some generic fantasy shlock told using 60 hours of fetch and delivery quests.

The best MMORPG is Dark Souls.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Vic posted:

You mean the sequel to Loaded

Loaded was cool because it felt like the last gasp of that early 90s, laser quest arena, 2000AD, greebo music aesthetic that was all like robots with smiley faces painted on and rainbow stickers on their guns painted by Simon Bisley in environments with yellow and black hazard strips everywhere. I don't remember it playing well, but that vibe was great.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Thank you thread for convincing me not to even try FF14.

After all the effusive praise I had seen, I began to suspect there was something missing. And it appears to be these are people who have played for years and years and are already heavily invested. It is not new people who will have to spend months to get to the good stuff. "the good stuff."

This also explains why a 7? year old game had never even hit my radar as being good. Because it was never good. Endwalker might not be terrible but it is probably nothing special. I'd bet that I could just watch all the cut scenes on youtube and have a better time than by actually playing.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Does effusive praise not count the same as low-effort shitposting focusing on the first, and worst, part of a five-part game?

Who would judge any MMO based on the first 10 levels? The only one that was good/better at the beginning was Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
"this game is bad for the first 60 hours" is not low effort shitposting even if it's for a game you like
if your defense is "the whole genre is bad like that"... that doesn't actually make those 60 hours more fun
some people with terminal mmo/jrpg brains are happy to push through the early unfun bits to get to the juicy parts later
plenty of other gamers would prefer to play like 6 good 10-hour games that don't make you eat your vegetables first

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The newest book in this 10 book series is awesome.

Can I just skip to that book?

Nope, you have to read the first 9 books that suck. I did over the past 7 years!

So you are saying that I can enjoy the 10th book in 7 years?

No! You can enjoy it now. After you pack 7 years of poo poo into however long you can deal with it until you hunt me down and kick my bad opinions in the nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

jokes posted:

Does effusive praise not count the same as low-effort shitposting focusing on the first, and worst, part of a five-part game?

Who would judge any MMO based on the first 10 levels? The only one that was good/better at the beginning was Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning.

The thing is that FF14 apologists often like to sell the game as being more like a classical JRPG with a multiplayer component. I like JRPGs and dumb anime schlock so in theory, I should be the target audience for FF14. But lol at spending 40 hours grinding fetch quests to get to the good part when there are plenty of JRPGs that start strong or least don't take forever to get going.