Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

TheHan posted:

I’m not going to read this, I’m better than this.

I did and I envy you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
It's like a very prolix explanation of the title of the Gateless Gate/Mumonkan that has been repeatedly subjected to mechanical translation.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

A monk asked Joshu, "Does a dog have the Buddha nature?"
And Joshu replied, "Well, yes and no. Yes because everything has the Buddha nature, and no because you're asking an idiotic question. So I'm replying with something vague and slightly contradictory, or at least I would be if my dialogue wasn't written by an utter cretin who doesn't actually understand any of this. Anyway, you've now leveled up and learned a new spell or some loving thing, congratulations."

Mohawk Potato
Jan 15, 2008

God it feels like he is ineptly riffing on Yog-Sothoh is the gate, Yog-Sothoh is the key to the gate.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

I think we're going to be very lucky if the far end of the next several pages isn't Snout learning to cast Dominic's favourite spell, SEE THE TRUTH.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

If I understand the text it's "Snout you need to collect the Triforce of Order, Renewal and Challenges" repeated once again but written by a complete rear end in a top hat.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

i just

the amount of text in a no dialogue comic is incredible

and the amount of copy-pasting mooks feels is acceptable is also incredible

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I'm mad that the threefold self is literally just the precisely three glyphs we've repeatedly had put in front of us, and also none of them are a loving 'self.'

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
This is why all the copies of Dominic's book were remaindered and thrown in a landfill, except the one the sex shop bought by mistake, two hundred years ago.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I must admit, I wasn't expecting a brief on esotercism in this thread of all things. Makes me want to try the SHWEP podcast again.

^^^ it wasn't bought by accident - the proprietors recognized it for the jack-off manual it was.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Everything is just dialogue spoken by Wes Studi's character in Mystery Men.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Ordered and renewed minds are the path to Asinotaph? What kind of incomprehensible madness is this?!

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I'm annoyed that he capitalized all the important nouns like City and Gates and Order, but not path

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Dominic Deegan's legacy is that he totally sucks. Appropriate.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

That's some really bad fake mysticism but the part that really bothers me is "It is."

Wow. It is.
Guys, Asinotaph is.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I didn't read the text because time and time again I read Mookie's attempts at some kind of transcendental philosophy and it's like reading a child's musings on the supernatural.

It's frustrating, at least when he was drawing things happening you could laugh at the poor execution, but when he's basically just writing a somehow even more self-absorbed myspace journal I can't take it. It's dull. He's stupid, and it's dull.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Mookie makes shameless use of copy pasting and text dumps to save time but doesn’t seem to understand that the point of those shortcuts is to make telling the story faster. There’s no point in using all these time saving methods when you waste all the time you saved repeating the same thing over and over again. It’s like he’s only putting out pages to keep the timeslot.

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.

Bismuth posted:

I feel like holding your head with your elbows braced on the table is a classic exasperation pose, but holding your head like that while hovering the elbows above the table is odd. Like I GISed 'holding head reading' and theres a ton of that exact pose, except the elbows are always in contact with table with the exception of a couple pics of people sitting on the floor with a book in their laps

It's hard to do the usual elbows on the table pose when you have weird elbow shark fins.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Turns out Dominic really lost it in his later years.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Nighthand posted:

this is hella esoteric writing for sure

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Samovar posted:

^^^ it wasn't bought by accident - the proprietors recognized it for the jack-off manual it was.
"My god! A tome writ by the greatest wanker to ever live!"

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

TheHan posted:

Mookie makes shameless use of copy pasting and text dumps to save time but doesn’t seem to understand that the point of those shortcuts is to make telling the story faster. There’s no point in using all these time saving methods when you waste all the time you saved repeating the same thing over and over again. It’s like he’s only putting out pages to keep the timeslot.

Yes! The whole comic feels like padding just to make sure he puts something out, but no one cares! Why does he do it

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

Yes! The whole comic feels like padding just to make sure he puts something out, but no one cares! Why does he do it

So he can keep getting invited to do his 'writing memorable heroes and villains' panel at conventions.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Mordja posted:

You know, I only just saw this clip for the first time earlier today but it fits so well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz9C3Oc7Mj4

The entire training sequence was great. Mystery Men is a good movie that was overshadowed by the other comedies that came out that year.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
ok so asinotaph is love or kindness or something I get it mookie

love this softer world of magic where you can be resurrected by a vine creep against your will, or by your husband as long as he doesn't vaguely hear you hosed anyone else ever from a bog witch

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

So he can keep getting invited to do his 'writing memorable heroes and villains' panel at conventions.

And what an enthralling panel it is.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

TheHan posted:

My assumption is that he's priding himself on maintaining his schedule, but he's also winging the plot, so he's stalling for time while he tries to think of something. That's why we get travel sequences when the characters don't have a destination, recap pages every time Snout acquires even the smallest tidbit of new information, journal updates summarizing what we just watched Snout do: anything to slow-walk the plot while Mookie tries to figure out what the plot is.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Yeah I'm still very certain that ultimately the whole point of this is so he can still call himself "Webcomic Artist" and not "Former Webcomic Artist."

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Nighthand posted:

voted 5

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

It seems like it would be incredibly easy to have them go 'obviously we need to go to wherever Asinotaph is' and then have a slow tour of this new era of the setting.

A pilgrimage narrative isn't novel but it would be fine, I guess? And of course nobody knows where Asinotaph is and there's lots of dead ends and ultimately it's found in dreams and the friends we made along the way etc etc.

This would be so easy and wouldn't involve any rancid bog witches.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Maxwell Lord posted:

Everything is just dialogue spoken by Wes Studi's character in Mystery Men.

Soon, Snout will start wearing watermelons on his feet so Mookie doesn't have to remember how many toes he has.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Joe Slowboat posted:

A pilgrimage narrative isn't novel but it would be fine, I guess?

I mean that's what this story WAS. They were supposed to travel to different libraries to find the book they needed.

Then they visited a bog witch because Arudak thought she could raise the dead instead of doing that.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Drakyn posted:

"My god! A tome writ by the greatest wanker to ever live!"
It inquires into the transcendent metaphysical mystery: what is the sound of one hand wanking?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mohawk Potato posted:

God it feels like he is ineptly riffing on Yog-Sothoh is the gate, Yog-Sothoh is the key to the gate.

Yog-Sothoth needs to go gently caress itself to open the gate! Mystery solved! Thanks Ghostbusters!

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I mean that's what this story WAS. They were supposed to travel to different libraries to find the book they needed.

Then they visited a bog witch because Arudak thought she could raise the dead instead of doing that.

I don't think they through she could raise the dead. She was just a chandak Arudak wanted to talk to - and I think talk to her about his dead love wasn't event stated, just implied. What she was supposed to do is a mystery (in other words: she was supposed to tell them she hosed someone else and mookie knew that so the characters also knew they were supposed to talk to her).

It is impressive how little the latest chapter moved the plot along. Just about the only things that happened is that Arudak learned he was in a love triangle and Kaianda was given a strong reason to question her humanity. Everything else we already knew - even Snout loving was immediately retconned as a new thing because he apparently does this all the time.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
The post hoc explanation for the lake chandak visit was that they needed to confront their fears and insecurities because the dream realm they're planning on accessing brings out and attacks one's emotions, and they wanted to prepare themselves before they experienced the real poo poo. How they know this when they haven't done it yet and we're still reading the book about it, I'm not sure. I think I can actually accept that as the idea, but I still suspect that Mookie conceived of it as an event happening on the way to another location, but just gave up and made it the destination because he couldn't think of anywhere else for them to be going to. It's the best explanation I can think of for having them be surprised to encounter the person they'd spent hours traveling to see in the place where she lived.

Anyway: Again, I'm interested in whether or not the Callan-Maltak magic shift and subsequent Callanian industrial revolution happened. Dominic's last vision saw Callan's magic decline over the course of decades, which they'd replace with some sort of steampunk or magitech industry, while Maltak's magic would rise and their chandaks would return. Well, we've been to Maltak, and the chandaks are back, but the jet-propelled, riveted-hulled, heavier-than-air flying machine is conjured and piloted by – of all things – ink magic. So what's up with that?

The idea of Dominic altering the nature of magic to prevent the rise of Callanian jock tech is funny enough, but I'm really amused by the idea that Dominic's epic final vision, obtained when he burned out his second sight looking upon the Heart of Magic, turned out to be one for three on poo poo that actually happened.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

YF-23 posted:

I don't think they through she could raise the dead. She was just a chandak Arudak wanted to talk to - and I think talk to her about his dead love wasn't event stated, just implied. What she was supposed to do is a mystery (in other words: she was supposed to tell them she hosed someone else and mookie knew that so the characters also knew they were supposed to talk to her).

It was definitely stated. Although maybe Dominic is supposed to have misunderstood Arudak...? Maybe he was trying to, uh, save her soul or something? If so that's really dumb, if they're this close friends he should have explained himself better.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

There are so many words, and none of them are good. None of them. How do you write so many words in your dialogue-free comic and have approximately zero of them be interesting or revealing?

This comic is just...masturbatory, and not because of the incredibly gratuitous sex scene which added nothing except a conflict that was resolved in a single page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

It was definitely stated. Although maybe Dominic is supposed to have misunderstood Arudak...? Maybe he was trying to, uh, save her soul or something? If so that's really dumb, if they're this close friends he should have explained himself better.

Wait, was that line in the context of visiting the chandak? Because I took it as a more general "Arudak wants to revive Kazya" and how the trip to the bog witch was related to that remained unstated. I could be misremembering, but it feels like a line about Arudak's quest more generally and not the chandak's relation to it.