Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I liked ARR. I replayed it recently and it’s pretty good, but pretty tedious. I give it a 7.6/10. I’d give Shadowbringers a 9.8/10. I could never in good conscience say FF14 is a 7.6/10 video game. If y’all are trying to rate FF14 or recommend the game, then playing Disc 1 of 5 of a JRPG and announcing its overall a bad is a bit disingenuous. Don’t play it if you don’t want to though, nobody really cares if you play it or don’t.

It’s 5 full-length JRPGs stapled onto one another. If you don’t like the first one you very likely won’t like the other ones, so just exit gracefully instead of saying FF14 is overall a bad video game because you didn’t like the worst part of it. And if you don’t like JRPGs you almost certainly won’t like FF14.

It’s also an MMO which means, frankly, it’s not going to be particularly broadly appealing because MMOs select for a relatively specific audience.

Don’t play games you don’t like, play games everyone enjoys like Chromehounds when the servers were online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

KonvexKonkav posted:

The thing is that FF14 apologists often like to sell the game as being more like a classical JRPG with a multiplayer component. I like JRPGs and dumb anime schlock so in theory, I should be the target audience for FF14. But lol at spending 40 hours grinding fetch quests to get to the good part when there are plenty of JRPGs that start strong or least don't take forever to get going.

Playing through FFV again now and all of its 30ish hour playtime is the good part so I don't know what XIV's excuse is

Also the fetch quests in FFXIV don't stop even during the part where it "gets good". I'm not complaining that there are fetch quests that are dressed up in more heroic terms of "only you are strong enough to kill the wyverns terrorizing the town, bring me a half dozen of their wings as proof of your deed", I get that that kind of stuff is a staple of the genre. What I mean is you keep getting like, level 1 "hey you, I'm too lazy to run across town to give this poo poo to my equally lazy buddies, here you go" quests long after the point where you've become the savior of the multiverse or whatever the gently caress

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

jokes posted:

Don’t play games you don’t like, play games everyone enjoys like Chromehounds when the servers were online.

There’s a kind of unique form of sadness that comes from playing an old game/console and running across a feature that no longer functions. Servers for multiplayer are the most common examples but far from the only ones. You don’t even to actually have wanted to use the feature or the feature to have been any good. But it still makes you feel this twinge of emptiness.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

jokes posted:

I liked ARR. I replayed it recently and it’s pretty good, but pretty tedious. I give it a 7.6/10. I’d give Shadowbringers a 9.8/10. I could never in good conscience say FF14 is a 7.6/10 video game. If y’all are trying to rate FF14 or recommend the game, then playing Disc 1 of 5 of a JRPG and announcing its overall a bad is a bit disingenuous. Don’t play it if you don’t want to though, nobody really cares if you play it or don’t.

It’s 5 full-length JRPGs stapled onto one another. If you don’t like the first one you very likely won’t like the other ones, so just exit gracefully instead of saying FF14 is overall a bad video game because you didn’t like the worst part of it. And if you don’t like JRPGs you almost certainly won’t like FF14.

It’s also an MMO which means, frankly, it’s not going to be particularly broadly appealing because MMOs select for a relatively specific audience.

I played 10 minutes of ff14 in good faith and it was really boring compared to the good games i like sorry

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
FFV was a super bland game imo, EXCEPT for the job system which was cool and addictive.

Wish it had been put over a much better game underneath.... oh wait it was. :smuggo:

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Grape posted:

FFV was a super bland game imo, EXCEPT for the job system which was cool and addictive.

Wish it had been put over a much better game underneath.... oh wait it was. :smuggo:

Broke: FFV has bland characters and a bad story
Woke: all FFs have bland characters and bad stories so might as well play the one with good gameplay :shrug:

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Final Fantasy's move to an action RPG style was a mistake, and the series has only gotten worse over the last two decades.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
All this arguing about FF14 and not ONE person has explained to me how many movie tickets worth of value it contains????

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

jokes posted:

Does effusive praise not count the same as low-effort shitposting focusing on the first, and worst, part of a five-part game?

Who would judge any MMO based on the first 10 levels? The only one that was good/better at the beginning was Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning.

For me I see it the other way around.
The first few levels should sell me on the game, upgrades and gear are coming thick and fast, skill points and talents being earned quickly - the dopamine hits are flowing and the new world you're in should be enticing.
Then poo poo slows down, and it becomes shite
The final fantasy online game did nooothing for me at all, it just kind of sucked and I can't even say why

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Grape posted:

And that better game was Final Fantasy 3. Either of them.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

pretty soft girl posted:

Woke: all FFs have bland characters and bad stories so might as well play the one with good gameplay :shrug:

Blander then the average FF (yikes!), and that extends to setting and atmosphere and graphics. Like I know earlier SNES games can look like extra colorful NES games sometimes but it's a visual snore on top of all else. FFVI has lots of extremely cornball two dimensional anime crap in it, but it's also way way way more interesting to play through and soak in.
I'm having a hard time remembering any of V's music too, I recall it being pretty good but nothing stuck. Compared to others from the 90's that's below par too.

And of course there is no reason to suffer FFV for the job system when Tactics exists.

Grape fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 7, 2022

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

fishing with the fam posted:

Final Fantasy's move to an action RPG style was a mistake, and the series has only gotten worse over the last two decades.

yup

edit: everything feels like crisis core

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Meme Poker Party posted:

All this arguing about FF14 and not ONE person has explained to me how many movie tickets worth of value it contains????

it has a montly sub so to get maximum value for money make sure to play 12 hours a day and skip all cutscenes and sidecontent so you can reach max l;evel in ur first month and not pay an extra $12

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

FFV at least motivated me to play through the whole thing though, *stretches arms* because boy I gave out on FFVII! That poo poo has dated badddddd.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I wouldn't poo poo on FF14 if people hadn't said it worked outside the confines of MMORPGs. I don't go around making GBS threads on WoW or Everquest, they're just not for me and I accept that.

To put up with the 60 hours of tedium I went through, the later parts would have to be absolutely mind blowing. At that point I had started skipping so much dialog I realized I had no idea who anyone was or what was going on, so if someone was pulling a big double cross or there was some intrigue it was going to be completely lost on me.

I know skipping all the dialog makes me sound like a lazy shitposter, but there is just so much dialog for every inconsequential thing that happens in FF14. I'd say for the first 10 hours we gave a good honest go of reading the dialog, then maybe the next 30 hours we tried to read at least the most important dialog. "Brevity is the soul of wit" got thrown around a lot by my group as we mashed through the endless stream of dialog boxes that accompanied yet another inconsequential non-team based fetch quest.

But if you like MMORPGs and can make a cat/dragon boy/girl hot enough to power you through the first 80 hours then there might be a magical time waiting for you.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Monthly subscription pricing models incentivize the maximum amount of padding that the maximum amount of people will put up with

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Grape posted:

The entire game was designed around a Twitter bot randomizing job assignments. The plot is secondary to that truth.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

oh gently caress Duck and Cover, where to begin

a lot has changed in dota in 7 years, some heros have had full reworks, every hero has an aghs sceptre upgrade, and an aghs shard upgrade, heck i don't even remember if it was on source 1 or source 2 when you stopped but if it was still 1 you'll have a nicer interface and a smoother feeling game

aw man Axe is your most played hero, drat, his aghs spectre now makes him battle hunger every enemy he catches in his taunt and his aghs shard gives him a +10% counter helix chance and everytime it hits an enemy it makes them do 20% less damage to Axe which can stack up to 100%

there will also be a bunch of new items, including neutral items which drop from jungle creeps now but who cares, go axe and buy blink, blademail, bkb and you are 3/4 of the way there

If nothing else I'd recommend you play a game or 2 just to see how different its became, even if its with just bots. My buddy who got up to like 3800 mmr or so got totally burnt out, took a 3 year break and only plays bot games to gently caress around and have fun thesedays

even as a dota lover though the overarching rule applies, don't play alone and don't play without some kind of intoxicant in your system, preferably a combination

I don't think dotabuff has all my games as it's only saying 21 Chen games. Although maybe I played more Ophelia in Heroes of Newerth and that's what I'm remembering.

Lol buying blink blademail bkb on axe? https://www.dotabuff.com/players/23357135/matches?hero=axe Fast Axe needs no puny blink.

I probably would have played some games to get a grasp on things before going into rank but 100 hours is more than I want. Maybe some day I'll be able to find the video of me trash talking Purge (as Omniknight) as Axe in mid. (totally should have beat him baaaaah)

Besides if I don't like Axe there's always Juggernaut. https://www.dotabuff.com/players/23357135/matches?hero=juggernaut Ride the lightning.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 7, 2022

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
people talking poo poo on mmo's while ignoring the absolute sickos acting like dota 2 isn't the worst game in the worst genre

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
same poo poo

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
the difference between dota and mmos is that dota presents a rigid game structure with a set of learnable rules and asks you to master them or at least gain some enjoyment from practising them whereas mmos have no rigid structure or learnable rules and instead hope to dazzle you by letting you mash 1 without any thought or tactic or strategy involved through, even by videogame standards, convoluted and over padded stories

like im not trying to insult or belittle anyone that likes mmos, it's fine but ask yourself why your idea of an engaging videogame is mindlessly casting the same single spell on poorly animated animals for hours and hours and hours because its just loving mind numbing

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
If your MOBA doesn't have a cat girl AND a bunny girl AND a dragon girl you better take that poo poo straight back to the drawing board!!!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Traxex is kinda waifu tho

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

JollyBoyJohn posted:

the difference between dota and mmos is that dota presents a rigid game structure with a set of learnable rules and asks you to master them or at least gain some enjoyment from practising them whereas mmos have no rigid structure or learnable rules and instead hope to dazzle you by letting you mash 1 without any thought or tactic or strategy involved through, even by videogame standards, convoluted and over padded stories

like im not trying to insult or belittle anyone that likes mmos, it's fine but ask yourself why your idea of an engaging videogame is mindlessly casting the same single spell on poorly animated animals for hours and hours and hours because its just loving mind numbing

you don't know what you're talking about. mmos are like dota once you hit the level cap.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Vic posted:

you don't know what you're talking about. mmos are like dota once you hit the level cap.

"it gets good after 700 hours, i swear"

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
The newest Super Smash Brothers is stupid because my nephews kick my rear end in it.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
The only MMO I was ever interested in was Uru: Ages Beyond Myst, but ultimately I never played because of how unappealing they are to me. The combat is slow and boring even compared to the slowest of PS1 JRPGs, and because it's an mmo with so many player characters there's no actual immersion in the role playing aspects because no one takes it seriously. Also, in Western made MMOs there is a serious dearth of cat girls

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Nobody cares if you dont like ff14

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

fridge corn posted:

Nobody cares if you dont like ff14

*Clears throat, taps thread title*

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Doctor J Off posted:

*Clears throat, taps thread title*

Puttfucker?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

jokes posted:

Does effusive praise not count the same as low-effort shitposting focusing on the first, and worst, part of a five-part game?

here's the deal: my take on it is not low effort shitposting. i subbed for like a year and a half playing at my own pace and i just burned out trying to get to "the good part." i have never seen "the good part." i have given up on ever bothering to do so

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

JollyBoyJohn posted:

"it gets good after 700 hours, i swear"

It doesn't get good ever ya melt

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The concept of an MMO is amazing, still, to me. Open, changing dynamic world where players are the population

None of the MMO's are any good though, literally not a single one

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Zzulu posted:

The concept of an MMO is amazing, still, to me. Open, changing dynamic world where players are the population

None of the MMO's are any good though, literally not a single one

That is the because the constant is other players.

Other players are best left as an obstacle, because otherwise you'll be teamed up with the dumbest motherfucker you've ever met without looking in a mirror.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

The difference between moba and mmorpgs is that mobas are a game while mmorpgs aren't. COME AT ME MMORPG LOOOZERS! Oh what's that you can't get up? LOL GET WRECKED! /pizza.

edit: Good news it seems clicking the associate account with phone number button unlocked ranked for me. I should probably not practice at all.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 8, 2022

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

satanic splash-back posted:

That is the because the constant is other players.

Naw (well sometimes), mostly to me it's like.... they make these enormous stunning fantasy worlds... and in the end all it still seems to come down to is minmax numbers fuckery that caters to people who are happy even just doing this poo poo with excel and a dice.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

pretty soft girl posted:

the best way to play any final fantasy is with a randomizer that also strips out all the cutscenes and gives 5x gold and experiance

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I haven't played FF14 - is it the same as WoW as far as gameplay? Hotbars, cooldowns, red circles to avoid, all that stuff?

I've gotten roped into trying a few MMOs with goons over the years and they all turned out to be WoW clones with different art. I don't get how people aren't completely sick of that gameplay by now.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Meme Poker Party posted:

1 Ghost Busters: Afterlife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I liked Everquest because early on that game was hard as gently caress and super punishing, so it gave me an actual adrenaline rush a lot of the time.