Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I like deer and am comforted by the fact that 99% of the hunters out there don't go more than a hundred yards or so from a road. Honestly I get it, gently caress the whole idea of dragging a deer a mile out of the forest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Deer Chat

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Just talked to my nephew in KY, he said when he woke up this morning there was nothing and now there's almost eight inches of snow in his yard.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
There's a deer family living in the woods by our neighborhood and we watch their babies grow up every year.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

There's a deer family living in the woods by our neighborhood and we watch their babies grow up every year.

sound like you are stuck in a rutt

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
hooved rats

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

deer jerky is good idgaf

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

nomad2020 posted:

I like deer and am comforted by the fact that 99% of the hunters out there don't go more than a hundred yards or so from a road. Honestly I get it, gently caress the whole idea of dragging a deer a mile out of the forest.

We usually walk through brush and thorn vines and kick out deer while we see guys get out of their truck and walk like 25 yards away and stand by a tree all day and they’re like “I never see any deer”

I once had to drag a 125lb field dressed deer through a field that was more mud and swamp than hard ground and it was a long loving way to the road. I was done for the day after that and I’ve ran 10 mile races.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Rynn posted:

Just the loving dumbest animals. I hunt deer and I’ve had them walk out of the woods and just stare at me as I raise my rifle and shoot, and stand still after the gun goes off if I miss and give me an eternity to fire again. We’ve also shot deer and let them lay, and 10 minutes later another one comes out and checks on it’s fallen brethren and just starts eating clover like everything is normal.

I once had a deer stroll across the middle of the rifle range while I was shooting

not sure if it had wasting disease or was just insanely stupid

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Some people say that if you listen to the static of an AM radio on I-95 late at night you can still hear Tim Kaine stuck in traffic to this day

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Some people say that if you listen to the static of an AM radio on I-95 late at night you can still hear Tim Kaine stuck in traffic to this day

Tim Kaine Exit 47 Memorial

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Griz posted:

I once had a deer stroll across the middle of the rifle range while I was shooting

not sure if it had wasting disease or was just insanely stupid

it's hard to select for fear of human stuff when so many dumb asses feed them every chance they get

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

let the wolves hunt the hunters

Give it time

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
Just looked up CWD and it's a prion disease :gonk:

Fetlife Kuli
Dec 8, 2021

The world moves on a marten's lips

atomicgeek posted:

We gave the deer COVID, it's only fair they give us a little something back

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
https://youtu.be/FjURlkPToqY

I think they have a bunch of different live cameras now and I don't know what time feeding is but hundreds of wild deer show up with turkeys and poo poo to eat oats almost out of the land owners hands, it is wild

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

atomicgeek posted:

And you can’t kill those things unless you burn them at 900F for hours.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

there's been a fear of CWD making a jump to humans for a while

no idea the likelihood of it actually happening

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

It already has. Look around you

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Mr. Lobe posted:

I'm a deer centrist because I think they are cute and also that they should be hunted mercilessly

I'm a deer leftist because I believe the government should pay people to hunt deer mercilessly and then the deer meat should be used in the preparation of nutritious, filling meals which would be made available to anybody

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
I had a coworker brag about hunting boars with bows and arrows before. But than i found out boars like just burrow in some hole and they just smoke the whole family out. They hun in nort texas they showed me.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Femur posted:

I had a coworker brag about hunting boars with bows and arrows before. But than i found out boars like just burrow in some hole and they just smoke the whole family out. They hun in nort texas they showed me.
SA used to have a guy who was in charge of slaughtering dozens of boar that were destroying his brother's farm in either Texas or Louisiana. After a while, he started killing them with a spear through their heart/lungs because it wouldn't make them scatter as widely as shooting them did.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

he was infrared surveilling them from a drone at night too

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

and launched fireworks from the plane

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i think he got banned for something bad tho. i forget.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'm a deer leftist because I believe the government should pay people to hunt deer mercilessly and then the deer meat should be used in the preparation of nutritious, filling meals which would be made available to anybody

There have been the occasional population culls here in Alberta where the carcasses were sent to food banks for distribution.

Also for years the province has asked for heads of deer to be sent in to the provincial lab for monitoring of the spread of CWD

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

buzzards gotta eat too

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

atomicgeek posted:

Yeah, CWD has hosed up the deer pop in Virginia for years now. Which ties into

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Dwindling venison supply for the hunters for the hungry program. :smith: Which sucks because this is absolutely the correct take.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

500excf type r posted:

https://youtu.be/FjURlkPToqY

I think they have a bunch of different live cameras now and I don't know what time feeding is but hundreds of wild deer show up with turkeys and poo poo to eat oats almost out of the land owners hands, it is wild

nuke the site from orbit

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

hobbesmaster posted:

and launched fireworks from the plane

was he the at hospital lost fingat guy?

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Real hurthling! posted:

sound like you are stuck in a rutt

I saw what you did there.

Fresh deer liver, soaked in milk, fried with butter and onions. The food of my childhood. I keep reminding our local doe that she's not only edible but choice. Bitch still munched my tea bush.

Really, really impressed that a gun culture like Texas hasn't been able to eradicate wild boars. I'm assuming they can survive high summer temperatures and drought as well.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
invasive boar are actually a big problem in a lot of areas. they reproduce incredibly quickly

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Venison is delicious especially when turned into a hearty stew that sticks to your ribs in wintertime

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Stereotype posted:

invasive boar are actually a big problem in a lot of areas. they reproduce incredibly quickly

also a Brucella reservoir

Fetlife Kuli
Dec 8, 2021

The world moves on a marten's lips

Bilirubin posted:

also a Brucella reservoir

also the males are completely inedible

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Fetlife Kuli posted:

also the males are completely inedible

Oh man, even domestic boars are rank smelling. And you do not want to cut them anywhere around their dick.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Bilirubin posted:

Oh man, even domestic boars are rank smelling. And you do not want to cut them anywhere around their dick.

i guess all the circumcision slapfight posting on SA years ago was by boars

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Yes the weather has been unusually warm this week.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

SirPablo posted:

Yes the weather has been unusually warm this week.

I can tell, this boar dick smells terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

weird snow today in ny. it was tough to pack. very dry i guess from the standpoint of water somehow.