Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Slammy posted:

So It Seems March 22, 1952

Apart from the lack of computers, the only thing dating this cartoon is the fact that people assume cartoonists are very rich.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1947

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Feb. 27, 1949)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Can you really say True Story (!) if it's a fictional comic strip?

Shouldn't you say "see 1998-07-05" or whatever it was?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Mr. Squishy posted:

Apart from the lack of computers, the only thing dating this cartoon is the fact that people assume cartoonists are very rich.

It's not unheard of.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

~Coxy posted:

Can you really say True Story (!) if it's a fictional comic strip?

Shouldn't you say "see 1998-07-05" or whatever it was?

To my memory, there's been no previous reference of this in the strip. I think it's Holbrook referring to something that happened to him (or someone he knows) in real life.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Val, you should invite the efreet down for some food. Aleta would, and would charm the beast into leading you to treasure.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis is I guess just lying about copyright dates now.

If I was in charge of the comics, I think I'd find Curtis a new writer, it needs a fresh voice. I'd say Tauhid, and he'd be good because he can write realistic children voices, but also I'd worry I'm just saying Tauhid because he's like the only young black person on the comics page right now.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I chuckled at Luann today. Stopped clocks and all that.

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

I adore these Silent Conversation Wallace strips.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jan 7, 2022

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zofie's World

Pondus

Herman the Heathen

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple: Clotted Crime Part 4 – Jason Guilt Ponies and Tits on a Cracker

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

John Allison posted:

I’m sure you know who Capability Brown was, but if you don’t, perhaps due to being born in the 18th century or later, here’s the information you need.

For you Discworld fans, Capability Brown was part of the inspiration for Bergholt Stuttley (Bloody Stupid) Johnson.

Also, from Georgia Dunn's Instagram

Georgia Dunn posted:

These very good buds. ❤️

Iggy's getting big!

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I would convince Billingsley to only do Kwanzaa strips all the time.

Just a strip of weird-rear end fairy tales.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Billingsley can do fairy tale strips and stupid cartooning ideas like My Roommate Is A Zombie!!!

Put a bullet in Foxtrot's shambling zombie brain while we're discussing the undead.

Replace Nancy with reruns of Bushmiller strips. Olivia can do Sundays if they're not adults in kids bodies naval gazing.

Get Jules a partner. Editor, writer, assistant artist, whatever. I think Mark Trail could be great but the daily workload requirement caught her off guard and she never has time to review anything written. I know comics doesn't usually make enough to justify paying a second person for a bad legacy strip only psychopaths like us read but this is a fantasy mental exercise and all. Also she can't use the narration box outside of the first panel recap.

On that note Rip Haywire is forced to read a bunch of other action comic strips for research and study and has a strict dialogue limit of 25% of what he was going to actually put down.

Daddy Daze must be written as though the baby was a baby.

Ban all Garfields after a specific golden age date, probably by 2000 at the latest. Reruns from this period are fine, no new strips from Paws Inc are accepted unless an actual cartoonist drew them and wrote a new joke. Copy-paste banned on principle.

Bring back the really wild full page spreads like 1900s had where a talented artist told a completely insane fairy tale. Thanks for posting historic comics, all of you, by the way.

Kind of want to throw out a generic "drop Luann, Funky, Dustin, etc" on all truly bad comics but that seems the most sensible and boring choice. Maybe force them to swap artists and writers. With others, not each other.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/6/02

Brenda Starr 12/7/47

Smokey Stover 6/24/45

Everyday Movies 9/21/34

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Esplanade posted:

What would you do with the power of the comics syndicate behind you?

Force Lina Neidestam to make more Zelda strips:toughguy:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Samovar posted:

I don't know if Tauhid ever read this thread (I know he was around during the time in which the forum existence was up in the air), but Crabgrass is very good.

I don't think he ever expressed awareness of the thread itself, he just put out a confused but grateful message on his Patreon when his supporter count ballooned to a giant number out of nowhere. Which surprised me, since it implies he doesn't have access to his own referral links.

How much is he making anyway? I've always kind of idly wondered if someone could ask him to make a reward goal for "will not get mad if someone posts my bonus comics on Something Awful" because I'm not a Patreon guy but I would definitely consider sending money his way if I could read the bonus comics the only place I ever read any comics, at all.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

I don't think he ever expressed awareness of the thread itself, he just put out a confused but grateful message on his Patreon when his supporter count ballooned to a giant number out of nowhere. Which surprised me, since it implies he doesn't have access to his own referral links.

I mean, he specifically mentioned SA, and I can imagine that, even with referral links, he could still be confused. He was struggling for attention and traction and was still well away from syndication. Sudden attention from one site when you feel small and unseen can be overwhelming.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
He posted once or twice on the discord I believe, very early on when it was unclear if SA would stick around.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Esplanade posted:

I would have more adventure comics that draw the audiences attention to the barbarism of colonial attitudes.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Dustin hit a very special "gently caress off and die" spot today

Selachian posted:

Get Fuzzy 1/6/02

I'm always delighted by jokes based around "look at these high-end computer specs." They age like milk but also give me that fun burst of "Man, Remember when?" nostalgia

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

JethroMcB posted:

I'm always delighted by jokes based around "look at these high-end computer specs." They age like milk but also give me that fun burst of "Man, Remember when?" nostalgia

Always reminds me of this genuinely funny dilbert panel from the before times

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Green Intern posted:

I adore these Silent Conversation Wallace strips.

This one features the Golden Ratio!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

The Bloop posted:

Always reminds me of this genuinely funny dilbert panel from the before times

The ones that always spring to my mind are the Foxtrot strips that involved computer shopping.

In 1990, Andy wanted to upgrade from the family's old Apple II so she could file her newspaper columns "By modem":

In the late 90's, Bill Amend was VERY concerned about one missing feature on Apple's newly announced hardware line:

And before settling on the "iFruit," Jason made a plea for the family to go with something a little less user-friendly (Though you can see that Amend learned his lesson about dropping specific tech details that would be outdated by the time the strips actually hit the papers:)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

JethroMcB posted:

Dustin hit a very special "gently caress off and die" spot today

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Professor Wayne posted:

Mary Worth is the best comic in this thread.
:hmmyes:

Esplanade posted:

I've already mentioned I'd like to put Norm Feuti on Dustin and turn the entire strip on its head. And having written Gil, he could actually do something with the neighbor kid, whose name I can't be arsed to remember.
Due to doing some investigating about the Big Brother thing we were talking about in here, I happen to know the kid's name is Hayden.

riderchop posted:

make Randy Milholland the permanent Popeye guy
I forgot about them giving him a good run and I now I'm surprised they never did that. I would definitely to that if I were in charge of Popeye.

F Minus

He's right.

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Guys I think Wilbur's really going overboard.

Looks like I'm staying up late tonight to check Mary freaking Worth. Not for the first time.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

We ARE still in the story that Mozz is writing in the blank book, right? Because if so, this is getting kind of meta.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

:allears: did Mozz write "I should've listened to Mozz, he's so wise and always right" into his own cautionary tale.

Jucika "490 - Jucika & The Stuck-Up Colleague"

"fõnök = boss"

"491 - Jucika As An Autograph Hunter"

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Oct 1, 2022

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth
Guys I think Wilbur's really going overboard.

:pray:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I can't believe some of you people think Karen Moy needs writing assistance or replacement.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Esplanade posted:

kill all strips over 25 years old - can never be re-run or rebooted

syndicate val and isaac

get an arch indie weirdo like malcy duff a strip

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Replace every American comic with badly translated Fingerpori.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Esplanade posted:

Try and get a pulp adventure strip going. Editorial guidelines would mandate no character crossovers, no self-referential stuff, and no genre parody. Being a young webcomic creator would be actively detrimental to your chances of getting the job.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

My Lovely Horse posted:

Being a young webcomic creator would be actively detrimental to your chances of getting the job.

Not sure why you'd make this a requirement. Why wouldn't you want someone who practices and shows commitment in their youth? Like, yeah the webcomics pool has a lot of muck you need to rake through, but also that's how a lot of brilliant creators get their start.(though the really great ones can do far better than newspaper comics)

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Feb. 27, 1949)