Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Cacafuego posted:

If you read r/askcarsales, you'll see that nobody should waste a car dealer's time by asking to do a test drive, or to window shop, or to ask questions. You should come to the dealer ready to negotiate and walk out with a signed deal, preferably buying everything the F&I people push you to purchase, while also taking their financing over whatever you already have. If you already have financing, gently caress you, they'll run your credit anyway.

You'll see several posts asking about test drives and the common response is "only do it on a wednesday in the middle of the day when we're not busy because you're wasting my time".

If you read r/askcarsales, you'll constantly be reminded as to why car sales has been one of the most hated and disrespected professions for decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
^^^^ I worked in that industry briefly and exited shortly after. It's totally poo poo.

Dr. Eldarion posted:

The supreme bullshit right now is people ordering cars like this and then having dealerships call them up and tell them to pay an extra $10,000 "market adjustment" or they won't get the car.

This should get a dealership shut down outright if anyone reports it to the manufacturer.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cyrano4747 posted:

I read in a similar article that, as always, the main reasons it's so active there is because of super cheap electricity. I assume government fuel subsidies or something.

fake edit: lol yep, the current protests were actually sparked by the government trying to pare back fuel subsidies, which cost the government 2.6% of GDP every year.

One of the main reasons BTC mining took off in China was because of electricity pricing being state set and subsidized based on time of year and demand. Miners would move between provinces and regions to wherever had the lower costs but that all got shutdown by the ban. I guess now they're just doing the same but in developing nations where one can set up operations for cheap and exploit subsidized state run energy companies.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Honestly, the two least-traumatic car buying experiences I’ve had were through CarMax and Tesla - I won’t argue against either being BWM, but their “this is the price and this is the financing we can offer, get onboard or get out” sales model is a breath of fresh air compared to the experience offered at traditional dealerships.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Blue Moonlight posted:

Honestly, the two least-traumatic car buying experiences I’ve had were through CarMax and Tesla - I won’t argue against either being BWM, but their “this is the price and this is the financing we can offer, get onboard or get out” sales model is a breath of fresh air compared to the experience offered at traditional dealerships.

If you don't want to negotiate it's quite easy to use your local credit union for financing and whatever associated car buying service they probably already have. You're not going to get the best possible deal, but you'll likely not get pummeled. At least in the before times. Now you're getting boned no matter what you do.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I have never bought a car, but my feeling had always been that if you don't at least one during the negotiation get up and start to leave, you're getting hosed.

That was the before times, though. I'm sure they'd just let you walk out, now.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Blue Moonlight posted:

I bought through Carmax in mid 2020. Whatever percentage extra I paid on that car (which might have even been as much as an additional 20% by my estimation) was made up for it to not put up with the loving hassle from these sociopaths. Also, I could buy a car that was 5 hours away and have it appear for me to test drive. Absolutely GWL if you can afford to be a little BWM.

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

Even if you just use it for financing, Credit Union Direct (they call CUDL and the finance guy at the dealership kept calling it "cuddle") is great and I have seen dealers promote their participation although one I had to ask about and they very quietly admitted they participate too but only if someone asks (I did not buy the car from them, lol). They pull your credit and run a report showing what rate all the credit unions in the area and some bigger regional ones would offer you. I used it to get my credit union to match the rate.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Blue Moonlight posted:

I had a similarly non-painful experience going through Costco's car-buying program. It was basically "pick a car, here's your price, bring this paper to this person at this dealership and they'll get the paperwork sorted."

Reflecting on that experience, it wasn't really that long ago (less than two years) that dealers were desperate to get rid of their surplus inventory because no one was buying cars.

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

Magnetic North posted:

I bought through Carmax in mid 2020. Whatever percentage extra I paid on that car (which might have even been as much as an additional 20% by my estimation) was made up for it to not put up with the loving hassle from these sociopaths. Also, I could buy a car that was 5 hours away and have it appear for me to test drive. Absolutely GWL if you can afford to be a little BWM.

If you know exactly what you want and are willing to accept you're paying some percentage of BWM markup as a cost of doing business with them, Carmax is pretty good because it no longer matters if the lime green manual transmission sport package Subaru Jeep Miata unicorn you want is 3000 miles away they'll just ship it to you.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I was going to ask the car buying thread but since it seems topical:

We have a 2017 car purchased new in 2016 (about 5.5 years old) with 130k miles on it. It still works great, but I'm wondering if there's any reason at all to consider selling it/replacing it now if we can get a new car at MSRP.

I do not want/need a new car and I am happy with our old car, but I figured we'd probably replace it somewhere between 150-200k miles. I'm guessing the answer is still no?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

You might shop that question in AI for some better answers, but in general holding onto your existing car is less expensive. However, depending on your maintenance history and any issues specific to that make/model/year, it could be to your advantage to unload it if you are nearing a known costly maintenance item. Though in many cases a buyer would be aware of that and would adjust their offer down unless you're prepared to hold out for a poorly informed buyer.

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

I was going to ask the car buying thread but since it seems topical:

We have a 2017 car purchased new in 2016 (about 5.5 years old) with 130k miles on it. It still works great, but I'm wondering if there's any reason at all to consider selling it/replacing it now if we can get a new car at MSRP.

I do not want/need a new car and I am happy with our old car, but I figured we'd probably replace it somewhere between 150-200k miles. I'm guessing the answer is still no?

My car is about that old and paid off, and I absolutely would consider trading it in for a new car if I could take advantage of the crazy market and get a trade-in value at least close to 50% of MSRP of a brand new car. I am definitely not saying "you can't afford not to!" about low interest rates right now, but it is a factor. Though my desire to not have a car payment right now has won out so far in pursuing this. Money is cheap right now, it might not be in the future if you need a new car and don't have enough cash on hand to just buy something outright. Now obviously the GWM argument still applies that no car payment is better than a car payment.

Another factor is going to be upcoming maintenance. If you have a Toyota or something that all it's going to need is oil changes and maybe a new water pump in the next 5 years, maybe you aren't getting much value out of a newer car. If you've got a BMW or something where the maintenance costs start rocketing upward the older it gets, yeah maybe dump it.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Cars are shooting up in price while horses are at a huge loving discount. Do the math

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Tomfoolery posted:

Cars are shooting up in price while horses are at a huge loving discount. Do the math

:hmmyes:

That sounds like smart finances. Everyone should listen to this person because we need more thread content.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Tomfoolery posted:

Consider the advantages of commuting via horse:

• Built-in antitheft kicks anyone who might rifle through your saddlebags
  • Can self-drive home if you have a couple beers after work
  • Creates jobs for stablehands
  • Free fertilizer for plants on roadside/median
  • "Horse had colic" can get you out of work at least once a year
  • Same horse could easily last you 30 years, which has to be at least as good as a Camry
  • Roads are much quieter, can be resurfaced with earth & sand to reduce maintenance costs

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Huh, not the answers I was expecting from the BWM thread. :v:

drk
Jan 16, 2005

notwithoutmyanus posted:

^^^^ I worked in that industry briefly and exited shortly after. It's totally poo poo.

This should get a dealership shut down outright if anyone reports it to the manufacturer.

If a single phone call about unethical business practices at a car dealership were enough to get it shut down, there wouldnt be any left

edit: yes I am bitter about paying $90 for a tire rotation last year because I wasnt paying attention

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Tomfoolery posted:

Everything eventually comes full circle.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Pham Nuwen posted:

• Same horse could easily last you 30 years, which has to be at least as good as a Camry
  • Roads are much quieter, can be resurfaced with earth & sand to reduce maintenance costs

You forgot "sleeping with models": https://youtu.be/ljPFZrRD3J8

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

Pham Nuwen posted:

And when the economy takes a downturn you can eat the horse!

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Tomfoolery posted:

Plus at the end of the day you can eat your equity if you need! efb, damnit

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Chris Farley told me that living in a van down by the river was a bad thing, but now I’m a successful vanfluencer and live off social media money being my own boss

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

When I bought a Fit in 2013 I was BWM and got some add ons like LoJack that were useless, and also thought the extended warranty had been a waste. Then a month ago the check engine light came on and the dealership fixed a transmission issue and provided a rental car, 100% covered by the warranty.

Regarding Prius chat, has anyone been hit with catalytic converter theft? I thought it was Nextdoor panic but a buddy’s Prius was targeted a few months ago, not fun.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Hyrax Attack! posted:

When I bought a Fit in 2013 I was BWM and got some add ons like LoJack that were useless, and also thought the extended warranty had been a waste. Then a month ago the check engine light came on and the dealership fixed a transmission issue and provided a rental car, 100% covered by the warranty.

Regarding Prius chat, has anyone been hit with catalytic converter theft? I thought it was Nextdoor panic but a buddy’s Prius was targeted a few months ago, not fun.

Yes we’ve had two stolen. It sucks. Nothing you can do really.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Upgrade posted:

It’s highly dependent on where you live and where you’re parking it. It’s going to be personal risk assessment all the way down. If you live in a SFH and garage your car and park it mostly in well lit big box parking lots and the garage at your office job you’re at basically zero risk. If you street park it at an apartment building with poor lighting in a town lots of vehicle theft and other crimes different story.

It’s lovely as hell though.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Stolen from the pseudoscience thread :

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Wasn't a Prius, but I had an incredibly sturdy Honda Element which I'd been rolling with for years turn into a "$2-4k repair or sell it" boondoggle overnight because some jackass with a sawzall went under my car over the weekend. I was obscenely lucky this happened prior to the current crunch by a month or two.

Would have been less if it were just replacing the converter, but as the mechanic pointed out, "most of these thieves are not mechanics, so they'll just hack through everything around it to loosen the one bit they think is the valuable part".

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

My work has a box truck and a van for deliveries and the box truck has been hit multiple times by people stealing the catalytic converter.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

Hyrax Attack! posted:

It happened to me a few times when I lived in MD and would go into DC. Always at the parking garage for the train into the city. Apparently a battery operated Sawzall can get through a couple of converters in the time it takes for the routine police patrol to pass by and come back since those lots have a bike officer constantly on patrol. One time it was with my whole family and we were in one of those massive Ford Excursions. The tailpipe on those is huge and apparently they either ran out of battery or time before they finished cutting through it and it fell off while we were driving down the Baltimore Washington Parkway. We were able to recover it and have it welded back in place that time.

Seen a few in Texas where a van load full of people with saw-zalls and car jacks will hit like 20 cars in a parking lot all at once and take off. It was worse when metals were crazy high prices in the early 2010's but it's been getting bad again recently with the number of converter thefts going up.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Upgrade posted:

FYI you can mark your catalytic converter and make it more likely to be left alone. Some companies sell marking systems that etch an identifier on the converter and are destructive (i.e. if you try to remove them they break and leave behind remnants, like stickers in retail but worse, and but also the unique markings stay behind.).

You can also get bolt-on shields for some vehicles that add another layer of poo poo to cut through. Painting it with super-high temp orange paint might be enough... seen that recommended a bunch.

It's like any other theft. You can't stop it, you can only make it less of a target.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

^^^ I've read that the sheilds can cause the car to overheat, and that people can generally cut through them anyway, so we haven't gotten one.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

We just moved from an apartment with a secure garage to a house with only street parking (no garage, no driveway) so we've been a little worried about it because apparently it's a big thing in Seattle. Funny enough, our next door neighbors has theirs stolen from their Fit the other day, but our Prius is fine. We were really surprised. The good thing is that we're not fully car dependent so we can be without a car for a while if the inevitable happens.

Also, bought that Prius through Costco's car purchasing program and it was very easy. Told Costco what we wanted, went to the dealership, signed a bunch of paperwork.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Cyrano4747 posted:

It’s highly dependent on where you live and where you’re parking it. It’s going to be personal risk assessment all the way down. If you live in a SFH and garage your car and park it mostly in well lit big box parking lots and the garage at your office job you’re at basically zero risk. If you street park it at an apartment building with poor lighting in a town lots of vehicle theft and other crimes different story.

It’s lovely as hell though.

One of them was stolen in the middle of the day on a busy street. There’s videos of the theft from doorbell cams. I live on a street where the median home price is a lot and it doesn’t make a difference. It takes a minute or two to steal it and the police and useless.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

DaveSauce posted:

FYI you can mark your catalytic converter and make it more likely to be left alone. Some companies sell marking systems that etch an identifier on the converter and are destructive (i.e. if you try to remove them they break and leave behind remnants, like stickers in retail but worse, and but also the unique markings stay behind.).

You can also get bolt-on shields for some vehicles that add another layer of poo poo to cut through. Painting it with super-high temp orange paint might be enough... seen that recommended a bunch.

It's like any other theft. You can't stop it, you can only make it less of a target.

I’ve looked into these but the cost for those options aren’t worth it on the cars (they’re old). It’s a pain in the rear end but I have a super low deductible so it’s not the end of the world.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

^^^ I've read that the sheilds can cause the car to overheat, and that people can generally cut through them anyway, so we haven't gotten one.

We just moved from an apartment with a secure garage to a house with only street parking (no garage, no driveway) so we've been a little worried about it because apparently it's a big thing in Seattle. Funny enough, our next door neighbors has theirs stolen from their Fit the other day, but our Prius is fine. We were really surprised. The good thing is that we're not fully car dependent so we can be without a car for a while if the inevitable happens.

Oh yeah my friend’s Prius was hit in Seattle and they gave the thief’s license plate to the cops but nothing came of it. What do thieves even do with them? I’d assume scrap metal dealers would be closely watched by now, and it’s not something that could be returned to a store or sold on FB marketplace.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
https://twitter.com/TechInsider/status/1479843489047269380

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Non fungible toots

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
Never had a catalytic converter stolen, but years ago at work one morning one of our delivery vans started right up but just wouldn't go anywhere. Figured something was hosed in the transmission and had it towed to the shop we used down the street. They called me an hour later to tell me that the driveshaft was missing, apparently it had been stolen in our parking lot over night.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/ejdickson/status/1479851498876153857

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Oh yeah my friend’s Prius was hit in Seattle and they gave the thief’s license plate to the cops but nothing came of it. What do thieves even do with them? I’d assume scrap metal dealers would be closely watched by now, and it’s not something that could be returned to a store or sold on FB marketplace.

They sell them to specific auto shops. Probably a market for installing stolen CC back to the victims.