Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

My favorites of the year

9. Subnautica below zero
smaller than original its kinda expansion of original subnautica. Still is good but shorter and more vertical.

8. Barotrauma
more serious ss13. your a crewmember of competent sub instead of incompetent crewmember of space station.

7.Foxhole
your small cog in large war machine. topdown shooter with big map
build a huge doom fortress that everyone bypasses by flanking and cutting off logistics to said base.
do partisan activity in backlines. Stop enemies from getting vital supplies.
earn commends by doing logistic to frontline, save entire frontline by delivering critically needed supplies.
get shellshocked by ISG (as warden).
get shellshocked by artillery.
get shelllshocked by massed swarms of tanks.
be part of impressive player made logistic industrial district.
join logistic union, to improve the state of logistics ingame.

6. Factorio
its just wonderful game. I tried satisfactory but it just feels worse than factorio

6. Oxygen not included
fun base building game. You will die a lot similar in harshness to dwarf fortress.

4.X4:Foundations
Oh hey fun glitchy space game, that was fairly cheap.
Impressive base building economy simulator
combat is improved over X3 due to better joystick support (its still bad but improved)

3. Shadow empire
4x post apocalyptic sci-fi game with lots complexity.

2. Amazing Cultivator Simulator
has same kind of insanity dwarf fortress has but rimworld lacks.
Basically dwarf fortress but set in DBZ land of power levels, you cultivate your characters in your fortress and try to challenge and beat nature.
alternatively you make poop artifact and beat other cultivators with it,

1. Disco Elysium
simply said freedom of choice and storytelling is top notch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I'm too late, though that's probably fine since I feel pretty blase towards the vast majority of what I played

This thread made me realize that I bounced off of nearly every game that I played and just did not seem to feel like sticking with anything. I only played apparently 6 games for more than a few sessions all year (deep rock galactic, synthetik, chronicon, last epoch, path of exile, and apex legends) and only two of those for triple digit hours (poe and apex). I think I need to branch out beyond FPS and arpgs. Both of those genres feel deeply stagnant at the plural As level and the indie offerings within those genres often will do something interesting and different, but due to budget and manpower limitations the overall scope of the games often aren't enough to really be deeply replayable.

honorable mention to 7 Days to Die, Deathloop, Cyberpunk (somehow it deserves this, despite all the bullshit and eventually eating my save), Loop Hero, and Gunfire Reborn as all games that were pretty compelling for a few days and probably merited more sustained attention than I gave them. DRG and Last Epoch in particular are both stand outs and felt like they were designed from some crystal clear vision of how they should play.

project zomboid, hades, and pathologic 2 are on deck, so 2022 should be off to a strong start at least. I also need to play the new rimworld expansion.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
yoiu need to play [b]Anodyne 2[b/]

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

More like asinine 2

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Deedlit is incredible omg

I think it wasnt embraced widely because 1. The long and unusual title and 2. Its sotn-level easy and the bosses can mostly be damage raced with spammed magic so the hard core genre guys probably looked down on it vs ender lillies and its ball crushing bosses last year.

But the exploration and gameplay and central gimmicks are cool as gently caress. Having a ding dang good time.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Real hurthling! posted:

Deedlit is incredible omg

I think it wasnt embraced widely because 1. The long and unusual title and 2. Its sotn-level easy and the bosses can mostly be damage raced with spammed magic so the hard core genre guys probably looked down on it vs ender lillies and its ball crushing bosses last year.

But the exploration and gameplay and central gimmicks are cool as gently caress. Having a ding dang good time.

I was really liking it but I got lost. But you just inspired me to start it up again and get further, thank you

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fine, I will tell you all everytime a new Team Ladybug game comes out because they're all these bitesized slices of good.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The real new year's celebration is about to begin...

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Give me the results or give me kirby fanart

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I heard the countdown will have kirby as the protagonist of each game during the reveals

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I heard the countdown will have a frame narrative that acts as a meta commentary on the futility of ranking art and also a big budget destruction derby scene

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I heard the countdown will have Relax or DIE doing a tribute performance of the classic FFX2 song 1000 Words

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
500 of the words are 'Endwalker' and the other 500 are 'wins'

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Rarity posted:

Ok folks, the votes have been finalised and the results have been verified. Please join me and VG on Saturday 8th January at 3:00pm GMT/10:00am EST for the big reveal including a live countdown of your top 75!

How long will this be? Like will it be 30 minutes or 6 hours, kind of thing? I normally wake up an hour or two after that and am unsure if I should still bother tuning in.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

redreader posted:

How long will this be? Like will it be 30 minutes or 6 hours, kind of thing? I normally wake up an hour or two after that and am unsure if I should still bother tuning in.

It will likely be finishing around my bedtime

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Rarity posted:

I heard the countdown will have Relax or DIE doing a tribute performance of the classic FFX2 song 1000 Words

legit one of my favorite vocal songs in the franchise
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuqMbCCUclQ

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rarity posted:

theres a mobile rhythm game called d4dj that has real emotion in the track list and i lost it when i just saw that pop up with no context

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6lKDTOr0mE

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Rarity posted:

It will likely be finishing around my bedtime

seems like you could speed it up by just going to sleep faster then????

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

redreader posted:

Rarity loves to milk the drama so it'll be a good while!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

i'm guessing it will take 10-12 hours all told lol

May 8, 2006

Regy Rusty posted:

Rarity loves milk drama!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Relax Or DIE posted:

Rarity loves milk drama!

listen bro we ain't nothin but mammals

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Hurry the gently caress up and start counting down rarity I'm beggin ya

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

:f5:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Predictions:

1. Endwanker
2. 5hin Megami ten5ei
3. Metroid Dread(ful!)
4. Disco Elysium???

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I can't believe Rarity is doing this countdown at 7 am my time. A personal attack on me

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

It starts at 2am for me. I'm going to miss so much :negative:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It starts at 10AM for me but then I'm probably going to miss the top ten :/

e: Last year was 4:47 from the first ranking post (#60) to the post-#1 stats epilogue

haveblue fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jan 8, 2022

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Insane that you found a way to make 2021 last even longer

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

listen bro we ain't nothin but mammals

So let's do it like they do on the Discovery Channel :heysexy:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
TODAY'S THE DAY AAAAAAAAAAA :supaburn:

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
I'm going to get some rest I have a steady day of pressing F5 ahead of me.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Rarity posted:

rarity didn't sleep last night and spilled coffee all over the results, frantically retyping them now and will soon fall asleep mid-process and forget to press f5 to upload and the day will be over before we get the results so then they will be invalidated and tomorrow veeg and rarity will be in the closet making posts and i'll see one of the posts and the post will look at me

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Stop suggesting this I don't even post with boys :negative:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

lmao

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veeg is not a boy veeg is a gameboy

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Veeg is a gamey boi

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Rarity posted:

The most magical day of the year, when Rarity and VideoGames fly all around the world delivering GOTY write-ups to all the good posters in Games

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

go ahead, just shove the drat votes down my chimney already :blastu:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

It's gotta be Inscryption.