Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Next-day update: folks on the Discord fessed up that the text wasn't correct and updated it for the next nightly. My fission reactor quest was stale and I had to do a bq_admin default load or whatever it was.

When I updated my quest book, I noticed some rejiggering of earlier quest lines. They emphasize numismatic dynamos now, so that's apparently the kosher power generation starting pretty early on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Oh yeah, the only reason I haven't gone super hard on them this time is just to try something else to use up some of the items and fluids being generated. It's incredibly easy to mass numis, you just need more diamond and ender Pearl to keep up with usage. It's not a bad thing to scale those up either, cause you're gonna need a metric gently caress ton of diamonds later, when you start making crystal matrices.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Super basic question. I want to use a resource pack called Stay True. It requires Optifine for its connected texture feature. I've installed GDLauncher and have added Stay True. But I'm totally clueless as to how to add Optifine.

A cursory search indicated I just need to drop it in the mod folder, but I don't see any folder named "mod." I've gone ahead and added it to the ResourcePacks folder but that doesn't seem to have done anything.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Just make the mods folder and drop optifine in so it looks like /minecraft/mods/optinewhatever.jar

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks, this got me halfway there. I switched from Vanilla to Forge (which created a mods folder for me) and then copied it in. Seems to be working beautifully now.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Any Dynmap users out there that can help me figure out how to rotate the isometric view of my map?

I see this list of predefined perspectives and one of them probably gives me what I want, but I can't figure out where to put "iso_NW_30_hires" for example.

https://github.com/webbukkit/dynmap/wiki/Full-list-of-predefined-perspectives

e: nvm, just edited the standard template. It'll probably get overridden with the next update but was easy enough to change.

TheDK fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 4, 2022

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
What kind of path or Omnifactory making with Nuclearcraft? It has quests for messing with various materials, but it looks like it's mostly for:

1. Lots of energy, naturally, although probably not from the reactor design it required in the first fission reactor quest.
2. Uranium products. I've seen uranium plates come up in at least one recipe.
3. I'm assuming one of each of those elements to make whatever that super crazy end game stuff is.

Are there any other byproducts I need to be targeting? I am wondering in particular if I need to set up something like a bunch of breeder reactors working off a main uranium reactor or something.

Also, can somebody explain the redstone conduit solution for self-regulation that it was listing in the quest book? When I hook it up, it just keeps the reactor permanently off. I figured input and output both had to go through the controller block, so I have it off on an edge where I can hit it from multiple sides. I ultimately just use a lever but I can't lean on that forever. I tried to ask in the Discord and nobody responded.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

NC in OF is not for energy production, energy is an afterthought. You need a metric gently caress ton of different isotopes for solidifying into balls for exotic catalysts, and a couple different fluids for some things like neutronium, and fusion. Don't remember exactly which ones you need for what, but you'll basically end up using almost every by product, so you're really not gonna go wrong making everything. Some are better than others, but I never cared to figure out precisely which things to make, and it wasn't really an issue when you build a giant gently caress off reactor and just void the excess power if you can't use it, processes byproducts pretty quickly, and you can fully automate the process/reprocess cycle with no fear of melting down.

Edit: for the controller, you have an output conduit on one face with a redstone sensor, and then an input conduit with a NOT on another, both same color. For some reason the default conduit setting is two different colors, and that don't work.

OniPanda fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jan 5, 2022

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Are Thorium and Uranium my two entry points for all the other elements and isotopes? If so, I guess I put down some beefier reactors up front for them and then a bunch of breeders to make a lot of everything else.

Regarding conduits: I have all paths on both ends as yellow. One end is set to output, and it has an EnderIO NOT filter. The other is set to input and has the EnderIO redstone sensor filter. I can't switch the filters around the other way; they just don't install that way. If I set this up without a lever, then the reactor won't run at all. I still need a lever to start it. If I disable it and run the reactor, adding them back on freezes the reactor. It will only run if I also add a lever that I flip on. Is that how it's supposed to go?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Nuclearcraft is definitely the most boring part of all of Omnifactory imo. Other stuff could get super grindy or obnoxious but NC just bored me, I'd just cheat past it if I ever played it again.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Nuclearcraft is easy but boring and finnicky. Use an igneous extruder to make granite, grind it up and put it through like 32 mv thermal centrifuges to make TBU fuel, make a 9x9x9ish cube of alternating fuel cell+moderator lattice with all the edges active cryotheum coolers since it's more or less free in this pack. Make a comparator safety switch on your reactor block so it doesn't overheat and start fusing.

Output to a thermal centrifuge to recycle the fuel into the controller of a grid of compacting / 2x2 drawers connected to mechanical crafters which make the next type of low-density fuel and gradually enrich your way upwards, adding each new type of fuel into a enderio filter to be auto-inputed into your reactor. Be careful about meltdowns, only TBU is really safe to run, the rest require the safety switch to toggle on/off or the thing will melt down so make sure the thing is working.

Once you've got a decent amount and you've reached americanium, make a row of solidifiers, one for each that you need. you need about 500(?) of each type so you can stick the solidified elements in singly upgraded 2x2 drawers which is pretty close to the correct number. You'll also need sunarium which crafts slow so you'll want several machines on that as well.

I never got the redstone conduit to work correctly as a safety, it toggled on and off too fast so I used a single redstone dust into a vanilla comparator and then a loop back in.

There's a chart of the isotope path on the discord I believe, it all starts with TBU.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jan 6, 2022

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
drat--I had seen the path from granite and figured that was just for comedy but I guess I go all-in.

I feel vindicated on that redstone conduit safety. I wonder if it's meant to toggle at basically 100% heat, but it scares me to find out. I was going to experiment with some threshold with a comparator instead. Does Omnifactory have anything in it to do any neater logic in a compact space? Stuff like this is when I miss the old MFR rednet stuff.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
This is what I used:

The conduit is used as a straight redstone wire I believe, nothing fancy. Maybe not even a comparator? It should toggle off at very low or any heat because some fuels will instantly spike it as soon as it turns on. I think plutonium was the worst? One of the late ones fills up the bar and melts down within I think 2 seconds.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 6, 2022

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I saw something about a multifuel reactor. Do you know if Omnifactory has a version of Nuclearcraft that supports that? I'm completely new to that mod so I don't really know its history. If so, could I make one reactor that takes all the various kinds? I get the impression I'd eat a bigger cost up front with it but then I could just leave it alone.

I did the low-enriched plutonium and it wasn't so bad but it did warn against high-enriched. So do I have to make some of that too eventually? I was wondering if what was in the quest book was what I needed or if I'd end up having to go on a spree of some kind. I haven't hit the terminal quest yet for that line in the mid-tier so I don't know if something else is hiding in there.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
The reactor will take any fuel you give it; the only thing you need to care about is heat output of the fuel versus potential heat dissipation of your reactor. Your goal is to not make them too different from each other or you'll overflow the internal heat buffer and meltdown. Look at JEI for the heat costs of each type of fuel and be careful with the higher heat costs and stay near your reactor off switch lever or /backup start until you get a feel for it and/or confirm that your safety works. My reactor could always-on TBU fuel (more heat dissipation through active cryocoolers than it was producing) and I think had to turn off 1 second for every 20 seconds on the next level of enrichment, and had to constantly toggle on/off for the rest, the worst was around a 1:5 running:poweredoff ratio.

High enrichment = more energy and more heat per fuel pellet, faster, and you need a more specialized reactor that has more cooling that can handle it. High enrichment produces the same material but faster so just stay with low enriched fuel. You won't ever need or want to touch high enrichment fuels as it's more for modpacks that use nuclearcraft as primary base power or have huge power requirements.

It's mostly a set it and forget it slow buildup of the enriched fuels you'll need for various stuff later - as you reprocess the fuels build the new fuel types and work your way up to americinium in small amounts - I believe you'll need one of the later types for the fusion reactor block/casing

The lattice style chess grid of fuel cells + moderators is just a real lazy brute-force way of making a reactor that works because liquid cryotheum is so abundant in the pack and it's one of the best cooling methods. There's a bunch of depth to designing a reactor with the various optional passive blocks that I'm frankly really uninterested in and I think it could have been vastly simplified.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 7, 2022

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
There's probably a better thread to post this in, but Apico, a game based on or inspired by Forestry's beekeeping, has a pretty fun little demo out. I was never even a big fan of Forestry myself but the laid back pace and involved mechanics of it hooked me. If you were one of those weirdos who actually liked beekeeping this might be for you.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Bhodi posted:

The reactor will take any fuel you give it;

Ahh yeah that's true but there was something I saw in a NuclearCraft Youtube stream that implied I could designate different fuels across one reactor in columns. I was thinking I could designate one column per fuel I need to break down and just make one big box for the whole mess under one controller with one comparator loop to keep it from melting into corium. It would require less building of cases and scattering of multiple reactors--unless I just manually coddle all the NuclearCraft materials. But you probably saw how I'm automating and I don't want to stare down one reactor as it does a stack of buttonium-696 at a time.

I'm still a real outsider on that mod so I don't know if I saw it right and if I did, that what I saw is available in Omnifactory.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Vib Rib posted:

There's probably a better thread to post this in, but Apico, a game based on or inspired by Forestry's beekeeping, has a pretty fun little demo out. I was never even a big fan of Forestry myself but the laid back pace and involved mechanics of it hooked me. If you were one of those weirdos who actually liked beekeeping this might be for you.

Forestry was always a neat concept of a mod to me, but over the years I recall the dev making it more and more obtuse with more intermediate steps and all the bee and tree stuff went straight into the realms of time-consuming random chance. And I mean, I get that breeding is pretty random, but it often took so long to do, and was really built around you having a lot of different biome setups all over the place at a time when there weren't a lot of good traversal mods out and in modpacks yet. There are much better ones now at least. Anyway, Forestry was always neat but it was just grindy and random enough that I never did much in it beyond getting myself Workbenches. Those things were amazing in Regrowth. Great block.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Ahh yeah that's true but there was something I saw in a NuclearCraft Youtube stream that implied I could designate different fuels across one reactor in columns. I was thinking I could designate one column per fuel I need to break down and just make one big box for the whole mess under one controller with one comparator loop to keep it from melting into corium. It would require less building of cases and scattering of multiple reactors--unless I just manually coddle all the NuclearCraft materials. But you probably saw how I'm automating and I don't want to stare down one reactor as it does a stack of buttonium-696 at a time.

I'm still a real outsider on that mod so I don't know if I saw it right and if I did, that what I saw is available in Omnifactory.

I mean, you can always select what you're gonna give it, but the reactor itself doesn't care, and I don't know of any way to make it care, not in the version in OF anyway. Like with all things in OF, you're gonna want more than one reactor anyway, unless you make one gently caress off huge one that's gonna process TBU in like 3 seconds. You have to go down the reprocessing line to get the heavier elements until you hit creative tank, so you're never not gonna want to make TBU and LEU. It's just worth it to build several reactors and have it passively reprocessing and making next step pellets.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I did it by under-creating TBU fuel and piping everything in with a big filter and keep:2 so that while it was always running there wasn't always base fuel to eat.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

In my new enigmatica 6 save I found a spellbook on my first BotW tower that gives me Revali's Gale plus glider effect. If you angle it right you can regain mana fast enough to boost higher and higher and then glide throughout the world at super speed.

This definitely beats slime slingshot for moving around..

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
So... due to mounting bugginess I am trying out switching from Advanced Rocketry to Galacticraft in my pack, which is an absolute shame because AR has a fuckin incredible skybox game and it's sad to lose the black hole.

On the other hand, while GC can handle sealing the internal station bits, there's no way it can seal the domes. So, instead, I've thought of giving the player a few oxygen bubble generators that they can set up however they like to give themselves some livable space. Also moving around the GC's version of microgravity is absolutely hilarious and fun.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Is it possible to keep the skybox and remove everything else related to AR, using GC instead for mechanics?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

McFrugal posted:

Is it possible to keep the skybox and remove everything else related to AR, using GC instead for mechanics?

Sadly not. AR dimensions have AR mechanics and atmosphere built into it. But, poo poo working trumps aesthetics.

Work continues slowly, but it continues. Recipes and progression are hard, yo.

Sneak peak of what I'm doing:

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 9, 2022

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

i recently doubled my RAM so i've dived back into modded minecraft now that i can run most packs. i've been playing skyfactory 4, when do i get to the fun part? :suicide:

but seriously, if anyone has any suggestions for kitchen sink packs for people with low attention spans, i'd love to hear. i like packs that teach me stuff about mods but also give me items for doing quests (with a fair chance of getting a crazy OP item near the start, like a furnace that smelts 1,024 items instantly with one stick)

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Chainsaws PhD posted:

i recently doubled my RAM so i've dived back into modded minecraft now that i can run most packs. i've been playing skyfactory 4, when do i get to the fun part? :suicide:

but seriously, if anyone has any suggestions for kitchen sink packs for people with low attention spans, i'd love to hear. i like packs that teach me stuff about mods but also give me items for doing quests (with a fair chance of getting a crazy OP item near the start, like a furnace that smelts 1,024 items instantly with one stick)

Project Ozone series, maybe?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Just disable Blood Moon events if you play those. They're no fun at all.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

Black Pants posted:

Project Ozone series, maybe?

oh yeahhh, i think i played PO3 skyblock once or thrice since being in a void helped make it more playable and it was alright. would be cool to check out how it is in an actual world!

FPzero posted:

Just disable Blood Moon events if you play those. They're no fun at all.

except for this! this sounds awful

EDIT: huh, apparently blood moons haven't been a thing in PO3 for awhile

Dr. Chainsaws PhD fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 10, 2022

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Dr. Chainsaws PhD posted:

oh yeahhh, i think i played PO3 skyblock once or thrice since being in a void helped make it more playable and it was alright. would be cool to check out how it is in an actual world!

except for this! this sounds awful

EDIT: huh, apparently blood moons haven't been a thing in PO3 for awhile

Yeah they got rid of Blood Moon's in PO3 at some point. They largely didn't mean anything in either anyways, because the idea if you're supposed to play on a skyblock so spawns are super easy to control. Granted PO3 default to normal terrain generation instead of skyblock I think?

Enigmatica 6 does have a lot of quests for a 1.16.5 pack, but doesn't throw out the super OP rewards. Mostly just food and experience.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Is it actually possible to passively cool a Nuclearcraft fission reactor that is going to take on some plutonium? I am scheming my options for Omnifactory--rather than just ramming cryotheum into every reactor (although I think I ultimately will).

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

Maguoob posted:

Yeah they got rid of Blood Moon's in PO3 at some point. They largely didn't mean anything in either anyways, because the idea if you're supposed to play on a skyblock so spawns are super easy to control. Granted PO3 default to normal terrain generation instead of skyblock I think?

Enigmatica 6 does have a lot of quests for a 1.16.5 pack, but doesn't throw out the super OP rewards. Mostly just food and experience.

that's a shame. i remember playing enigmatica 2 and getting a block of californium for one of the "tick off this box" starter quests. it generated like 5000RF/tick or some poo poo. good times!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

back at it again with another post about vintage story getting an update since it's literally a distinct game made by terrafirmacraft modders who wanted a better engine that wasn't minecraft and/or made in java and is infinitely more moddable at it's very core

https://www.vintagestory.at/blog.html/news/homesteading-part-2-combat-update-stable-1160-r310/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u5QIsnLetw

alcohol distillation!

a variety of dynamic fruit trees which change with the seasons and can have branches grafted onto one another so they sport multiple kinds of fruit on one tree!

34 new varieties of mushrooms which will all have varying nutritional content to be used in the expansive and robust cooking system the game already has! (some mushrooms will of course be inadvisable for eating)

the game actually auto-downloading mods from the database whenever you join a server with mods active instead of having to do it manually beforehand! (wow, almost unthinkable!)

spooky new temporal rifts that spawn the 'standard' enemy type instead of them being based on darkness like minecraft zombies!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvMGedcflBY

and a whole bunch of other poo poo listed on the page itself and in the trailer video i can't be bothered to type out since i don't want to just copy/paste the entire changelog!

but yeah seriously vintage story owns and if you have any familiarity with certain minecraft mods you'll feel right at home with this at a baseline and it's significantly less unstable than modded minecraft is

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Oh wow that looks great at first glance! IS there a complete gameplay loop yet or is it still at the stage of establishing core systems?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Khanstant posted:

Oh wow that looks great at first glance! IS there a complete gameplay loop yet or is it still at the stage of establishing core systems?

it's about at the point minecraft was at for years and years where there's plenty to do and you more or less make your own goals in terms of getting things done and what sort of base you establish. as far as anything like the progression of going to the nether and going to the end and killing the ender dragon and whatever in minecraft goes there's not really anything like that yet, specifically, but the game has some fun things to experience like temporal storms and the first time you run into a bell when underground. they specifically note they want to work on more 'story' stuff for the next update. overall i'd say it's a very fulfilling experience already if you're the type to have sunk time into minecraft, especially since accomplishing smaller things in this takes more effort and feels more rewarding than it does in vanilla minecraft but it's not exactly '30 components and steps needed' on par with gregtech or some poo poo. they have a very 'hands-on' approach to crafting things where they like having the player do fun involved things instead of just plunking things into a crafting grid.

and then of course beyond all that there remains the fact it's absurdly easy to mod and the devs even put out a voxel model editor to help people make things for the game

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is it actually possible to passively cool a Nuclearcraft fission reactor that is going to take on some plutonium? I am scheming my options for Omnifactory--rather than just ramming cryotheum into every reactor (although I think I ultimately will).

https://leu-235.com/

You may need to set the heat values manually if they're different in the mod pack.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Anyone have thoughts on MC Eternal?

My friends kind of want to play some modded minecraft, I dont think we have any particular things we're looking for besides "more interesting then base minecraft" - I liked Tekkit in the past with the automated miner stuff, but this mod pack name just kinda came up in passing, wondering if it's worth going for or if there's maybe something better as a general big mod pack?

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Oxyclean posted:

My friends kind of want to play some modded minecraft, I dont think we have any particular things we're looking for besides "more interesting then base minecraft" - I liked Tekkit in the past with the automated miner stuff, but this mod pack name just kinda came up in passing, wondering if it's worth going for or if there's maybe something better as a general big mod pack?

It's a pretty good kitchen sink pack. Nice mix of magic and tech mods.

Gorgeous Mohammad
Oct 15, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

My friends and I did Feed the Beast's Direwolf20 modpack for 1.16 and it was pretty solid. It's just a big collection of tech, magic and miscellaneous mods but we found it to be very stable after running into issues with some other modpacks that we tried. Just don't build a giant MineColonies city as it seemed to cause lag.

Flail Snail
Jul 30, 2019

Collector of the Obscure
Since people still talk about Vintage Story and I like both Vintage Story and Minecraft, perhaps you might enjoy another voxely buildy crafty survivaly game.

Outerverse, currently in early access. There are a few obvious points that need improvement if you dig in but you start automating the Minecraft loop pretty much immediately and it's got actual tech progression so I'll at least be keeping an eye on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Johnny Joestar posted:

it's about at the point minecraft was at for years and years where there's plenty to do and you more or less make your own goals in terms of getting things done and what sort of base you establish. as far as anything like the progression of going to the nether and going to the end and killing the ender dragon and whatever in minecraft goes there's not really anything like that yet, specifically, but the game has some fun things to experience like temporal storms and the first time you run into a bell when underground. they specifically note they want to work on more 'story' stuff for the next update. overall i'd say it's a very fulfilling experience already if you're the type to have sunk time into minecraft, especially since accomplishing smaller things in this takes more effort and feels more rewarding than it does in vanilla minecraft but it's not exactly '30 components and steps needed' on par with gregtech or some poo poo. they have a very 'hands-on' approach to crafting things where they like having the player do fun involved things instead of just plunking things into a crafting grid.

and then of course beyond all that there remains the fact it's absurdly easy to mod and the devs even put out a voxel model editor to help people make things for the game

Might peep this then. I'm excited for Hytale but a) Not gonna make poo poo for them while the face-farting Riot execs are still unpunished and b) still years away. Might be a good way to cut my gums on making voxel style models anyway.