Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

camoseven posted:

Reading his wiki and trying to figure out why this guy is suddenly important:

Nice.

NYT opinion columnists have a weird obsession with looking at China and wanting to copy them, but in the worst ways.

Kristof: "China transitioned from a largely agrarian economy to one of the major global economic powerhouses in 40 years through rapid industrialization and sweatshops. Everybody needs sweatshops."

Friedman: "China bulldozed entire villages to build new cities and achieve rural electrification. We gotta bulldoze more cities."

Douthat: "China instituted a system of brutal control over women's bodies and effectively banned abortion for 50 years. We should ban abortion."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

DeadlyMuffin posted:

If you think I'm saying blue states are beautiful utopias where nothing bad happens to anyone and angels sing... I'm not saying that.

I explained my rationale a few posts after the one you've quoted. I'm happy to respond if you've read those and still want to understand why I would prefer not to live in a blue island in a red state.

Ya know, Illinois consistently ranks in the top 5 states for LGBT rights, Chicago is on the shore of an inland sea, the state is bluer than New York, yet y'all STILL ignore the Second City.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I forgot to point out that the list of people who expected a need for more testing included the author of https://joebiden.com/beat-covid19/

Didn't even try.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Oracle posted:

Ya know, Illinois consistently ranks in the top 5 states for LGBT rights, Chicago is on the shore of an inland sea, the state is bluer than New York, yet y'all STILL ignore the Second City.

Don't quote me when you say that. If I remember right Chicago was on my list of places I could live and work, since employment laws covered gender identity in private companies.

It was mostly costal states, but not entirely.

Minnesota was okay too iirc.

Kansas was not.

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 7, 2022

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Minnesota was okay too iirc.

The Twin Cities are indeed pretty LGBTQ+ friendly.

Unfortunately, Fargo is a documentary and Minnesota is very cold and people do actually talk with accents like that.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Yeah, that is their argument.

I think they legitimately didn't expect something as contagious and rapid as omicron happening so quickly, but they definitely looked at the situation, assumed new variants would be about as contagious as Delta, and made a cost/benefit calculation that mass testing stations and the commercial supply of personal testing kits would be fine and decided not to do it. And they gambled wrong.

Yeah that sounds pretty likely.

Really awesome that our elected officials can gamble with our public health though :shepicide:

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

DeadlyMuffin posted:

If you think I'm saying blue states are beautiful utopias where nothing bad happens to anyone and angels sing... I'm not saying that.

I explained my rationale a few posts after the one you've quoted. I'm happy to respond if you've read those and still want to understand why I would prefer not to live in a blue island in a red state.

You already live in a blue island in a Red Sea, it's just a bigger island.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Fritz the Horse posted:

The Twin Cities are indeed pretty LGBTQ+ friendly.

Unfortunately, Fargo is a documentary and Minnesota is very cold and people do actually talk with accents like that.

I can attest to this, the air temperature was -18 degrees when I woke up this morning.....

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

PeterCat posted:

You already live in a blue island in a Red Sea, it's just a bigger island.

Only of you measure it in acerage and not in terms of population. It's a bit like Republicans showing national election results by county and the map looking very red. Not wrong, but quite misleading.

My state government is pretty pants-on-head, but the Democratic supermajority gives me a bit more confidence that the state government isn't going to legislate away my rights.

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 8, 2022

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's a semi-normal thing for high-profile trials.

Oprah did an entire hour-long primetime interview with all of the O.J. Simpson jurors in the 90's.

Most of the jurors in the recent high-profile police cases have talked to the press afterwards.

Yeah, one of the Zimmerman jurors went on CNN while people were protesting the verdict live on camera and basically "gently caress, I should have said 'guilty', why didn't I say 'guilty'? I wanted to say 'guilty' but my brain no work good daaaaaaaa." Just to add to the outrage and embarrassment of the whole ordeal.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

New Civiqs poll of Biden's approval is out, and has Biden at an approval rating of 36 percent with 55 percent disapproving.

Notable:

* Biden lost a point in W. Virginia; he's down to 17 percent approval there.

* Boomers/Silents have the highest Biden favorables among age groups.

* Approval among Dem voters is 73 percent.

* Hawaii is the only state with voters giving Biden majority approval, although pluralities in MD, ME & VT approve of him.

RCP has disapproval of Biden at a record high of +12.5 over approval. (Includes Rasmussen; doesn't include Civiqs. Rasmussen has Biden's approval higher than Civiqs, lol.)

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Only of you measure it in acerage and not in terms of population. It's a bit like Republicans showing national election results by county and the map looking very red. Not wrong, but quite misleading.

I don't know how best to explain this to you, but the attitudes of Chicago, LA, and NYC basically stop at the city limits.

It's not much different in MN, IA, KS, or NE.

And if all the Blue people keep clustering on the coast, don't be surprised if the middle of the country keeps getting redder and redder. Especially when the coasts and the DNC keep putting out a vide that they're too good for the interior of the country.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Thaddius the Large posted:

He’s lived in New York for the last two decades but suddenly decided he wants to be governor of Oregon, and now thanks to a bunch of mega donors has more than every other member of the Democratic primary combined, he’s a pretty cool guy

I mean that all sounds well and good, but why didn't he just stay in New York and run for mayor? Like, if he's a good guy they could really use him there because they've had an incredibly hard time finding a mayor who isn't awful.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Willa Rogers posted:

New Civiqs poll of Biden's approval is out, and has Biden at an approval rating of 36 percent with 55 percent disapproving.

Notable:

* Biden lost a point in W. Virginia; he's down to 17 percent approval there.

* Boomers/Silents have the highest Biden favorables among age groups.

* Approval among Dem voters is 73 percent.

* Hawaii is the only state with voters giving Biden majority approval, although pluralities in MD, ME & VT approve of him.

RCP has disapproval of Biden at a record high of +12.5 over approval. (Includes Rasmussen; doesn't include Civiqs. Rasmussen has Biden's approval higher than Civiqs, lol.)

It is all well-earned, I'd say. He's doing jack-all to win any support from a large number of voters that the party desperately needs in the midterms.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

PeterCat posted:

I don't know how best to explain this to you, but the attitudes of Chicago, LA, and NYC basically stop at the city limits.

It's not much different in MN, IA, KS, or NE.

And if all the Blue people keep clustering on the coast, don't be surprised if the middle of the country keeps getting redder and redder. Especially when the coasts and the DNC keep putting out a vide that they're too good for the interior of the country.

My point is that blue voters outnumber red ones, and so the risk of my state government legislating away my rights is far lower in a state like CA than it would be in, say Kansas.

And if you're asking me to risk my livelihood, among other things, in order to try and turn Kansas blue: no. It's a noble thing to do, but I don't want to sacrifice myself on that altar. Sorry.

I have this one life. I am going to choose where I live based on where I think my rights are most likely to be respected, and where I can work. And I will continue to look with a level of disgust at state governments that do not meet that very low bar.

And since I'm on a roll: "if all the Blue people keep clustering on the coast, don't be surprised if the middle of the country keeps getting redder and redder." Why do you think that is? Why do you think gay folks flocked to San Francisco? It wasn't the weather, it was because there was a community there, however imperfect, that accepted them, and they were fleeing places that were actively hostile. Want folks to come back, not leave, or even come? Stop making those places hostile to live in, rather than blaming people for not wanting to live there. Don't ask me to go there and do it for you.

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 8, 2022

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Ringo Star Get posted:

It is all well-earned, I'd say. He's doing jack-all to win any support from a large number of voters that the party desperately needs in the midterms.

As I've pointed out before, Biden's one bright spot in approvals has been over his handling of covid, but I'm starting to see those nos. drop, which I'm sure is lowering the overall approvals as well.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Ringo Star Get posted:

I don't know who he's listening to but he needs to loving stop, they're tanking him. He had good instincts and good ideas in the runup to the election, he just needs to deliver. Part of it is Congress (the Senate) but there are things he can be doing.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

VitalSigns posted:

I forgot to point out that the list of people who expected a need for more testing included the author of https://joebiden.com/beat-covid19/

Didn't even try.

The administration did all of the things in that image. Here's the pandemic testing board, for instance:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...ogical-threats/

You can find coverage of the expansion of testing sites and contact tracers, too -though these were in the form of funding that usually had to go through state health authorities. All of this happened early in 2021. What's changed is a shortage of tests and a lack of ongoing funding and infra at the state level.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Oracle posted:

I don't know who he's listening to but he needs to loving stop, they're tanking him. He had good instincts and good ideas in the runup to the election, he just needs to deliver. Part of it is Congress (the Senate) but there are things he can be doing.

He's listening to the same people he chose to serve in his administration, almost all people who helped run the joint during Clinton & Obama's presidencies.

And maybe that's part of the problem; these cabinet oldheads are 10-20 years out of step. Even when the oldheads are youngerheads, like Buttigieg & Harris, they're in the oldhead mold, ideas-wise.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

The administration did all of the things in that image. Here's the pandemic testing board, for instance:

You can find coverage of the expansion of testing sites and contact tracers, too -though these were in the form of funding that usually had to go through state health authorities. All of this happened early in 2021. What's changed is a shortage of tests and a lack of ongoing funding and infra at the state level.

https://khn.org/news/article/biden-kept-his-promise-to-increase-covid-testing-capacity-even-as-demand-for-testing-drops/

quote:

But whether Biden was successful in doubling the number of drive-thru testing sites is unclear. KHN and PolitiFact asked various testing experts for their take, and they generally said they weren’t aware of any data that showed the number of sites had doubled. Some hypothesized, though, that this may have been because many public health resources were shifted away from testing sites to staff and to set up vaccination sites once covid vaccines became available to the public.

“I think states did shift their efforts to vaccination, because that was the move in the spring,” said Plescia. But as more people were vaccinated, demand dropped, and “if we had those drive-thru testing sites we ended up closing them,” he added. “It was a promise we ended up not needing to keep.”

Indeed, there have been reports of shuttered testing sites across the U.S. In Florida all 27 state-run testing sites closed at the end of May. Oklahoma also recently closed a mass testing site once demand fell to fewer than 50 tests a day and, in late May, New Jersey closed the state’s first outdoor testing site

Aside from that I'm not really impressed by "we gave some money to the states and they didn't do it, promise kept" that's not leadership, that's excuses.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

and speaking of state-level issues, current 2024 Presidential frontrunner(?) Ron DeSantis just sat on a stockpile of 1 million COVID tests until they expired in the last week of December, citing "no adequate need to use them". This of course coming out as he announces the plan to give seniors in Florida 1 Million COVID tests.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

VitalSigns posted:

https://khn.org/news/article/biden-kept-his-promise-to-increase-covid-testing-capacity-even-as-demand-for-testing-drops/

Aside from that I'm not really impressed by "we gave some money to the states and they didn't do it, promise kept" that's not leadership, that's excuses.

That's literally how the federal government is able to rapidly disseminate health resources. You're objecting to the existence of federalism, again.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

That's literally how the federal government is able to rapidly disseminate health resources. You're objecting to the existence of federalism, again.

So the promises were fulfilled then? Because the data say otherwise.

He didn't keep his promise, no two ways about that. You can deflect the conversation into arguing that it's not his fault because his promises were impossible to keep and that somehow it's his responsibility to come up with a plan he can actually execute, but excuses don't get swabs into noses.

Giving money to states who don't want to do anything and washing their hands of it is not the only way to disseminate health resources. Johnson got Medicare up and running in a year in an era of typewriters and carbon paper. Doing it right should have taken precedence over doing something "rapidly" that didn't accomplish the mission in the end.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

So the promises were fulfilled then? Because the data say otherwise. He didn't keep his promise, no two ways about that. You can deflect the conversation into arguing that it's not his fault because his promises were impossible to keep and that somehow it's his responsibility to come up with a plan he can actually execute, but excuses don't get swabs into noses.

Even your own source doesn't say that it didn't happen, just that it's hard to get statistics. On your broader claim that Biden failed to increase testing, the damned title of the article, which it supports with its analysis, is "Biden Kept His Promise to Increase Covid-Testing Capacity, Even as Demand for Testing Drops".

VitalSigns posted:

Giving money to states who don't want to do anything and washing their hands of it is not the only way to disseminate health resources. Johnson got Medicare up and running in a year in an era of typewriters and carbon paper. Doing it right should have taken precedence over doing something "rapidly" that didn't accomplish the mission in the end.

Johnson had a supermajority and direct implementing legislation (and distribution of funds for Medicare still often involves state agencies); it was also a distribution of funds and not the creation of new testing and contact tracing infrastructure, something that obviously functions better through the funding of existing infrastructural systems. You are also pretty obviously knowingly excluding Medicaid because that system did directly rely on the states.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

Johnson had a supermajority and direct implementing legislation

He would also show up in the Senate and verbally assault lovely senators when they hosed around and made them change their vote. Biden is either a spineless coward, complacent with the current lovely situation, or is actively supporting it.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

Even your own source doesn't say that it didn't happen, just that it's hard to get statistics. On your broader claim that Biden failed to increase testing, the damned title of the article, which it supports with its analysis, is "Biden Kept His Promise to Increase Covid-Testing Capacity, Even as Demand for Testing Drops".
Like a lot of headlines, it's not a very accurate summary of the article, isn't that something you teach in Media Analysis? There's no evidence he doubled testing sites, and Politifact looked, if you have such evidence feel free to post it

Discendo Vox posted:

Johnson had a supermajority and direct implementing legislation (and distribution of funds for Medicare still often involves state agencies); it was also a distribution of funds and not the creation of new testing and contact tracing infrastructure, something that obviously functions better through the funding of existing infrastructural systems. You are also pretty obviously knowingly excluding Medicaid because that system did directly rely on the states.
I'm not ignoring Medicaid, my point was that the federal government doesn't have to run all healthcare through the states, not that it never does.

The federal government operates its own hospital system. It could have set up testing sites. It didn't. That was a failure, we're living in the consequences.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

He would also show up in the Senate and verbally assault lovely senators when they hosed around and made them change their vote. Biden is either a spineless coward, complacent with the current lovely situation, or is actively supporting it.

Johnson was indeed a weird psychopath who hosed with people all the time and got legislation through the senate. He also had a senate supermajority to do that with. It is entirely possible that the administration is loving things up without Biden being "either a spineless coward, complacent with the current lovely situation, or is actively supporting it." We're now back at the weird counterfactual fight rhetoric where the president can, and should, somehow unilaterally bypass the structure of the constitution at will.

VitalSigns posted:

Like a lot of headlines, it's not a very accurate summary of the article, isn't that something you teach in Media Analysis? There's no evidence he doubled testing sites, and Politifact looked, if you have such evidence feel free to post it

I did read the article. It concludes that despite the funding redirected by some state governments, increased testing was in fact pursued and accomplished by the administration.

VitalSigns posted:

I'm not ignoring Medicaid, my point was that the federal government doesn't have to run all healthcare through the states, not that it never does.

The federal government operates its own hospital system. It could have set up testing sites. It didn't. That was a failure, we're living in the consequences.

Again, the overwhelming way that any administration can rapidly or, in many contexts, legally implement programmatic operations is by funding existing infrastructure. This isn't new information. The federal hospital system is not within a million miles of being sufficient to support the level of operations necessary to address the pandemic- and, as should not be surprising, federal hospitals do in fact perform covid testing and vaccination. The administration has in fact deployed a large proportion of federal resources that it actually has control over to perform covid testing and vaccinations. These were reduced during the summer in part because in order to do this they had to cannibalize staff from other agencies.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

Johnson was indeed a weird psychopath who hosed with people all the time and got legislation through the senate. He also had a senate supermajority to do that with. It is entirely possible that the administration is loving things up without Biden being "either a spineless coward, complacent with the current lovely situation, or is actively supporting it." We're now back at the weird counterfactual fight rhetoric where the president can, and should, somehow unilaterally bypass the structure of the constitution at will.

Nah. Asking Biden to get off his lazy rear end and be on the Senate floor and act/show that he gives a drat is not "unilaterally bypass the structure of the constitution at will".

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Nah. Asking Biden to get off his lazy rear end and be on the Senate floor and act like he gives a drat is not "unilaterally bypass the structure of the constitution at will".

Biden "getting off his lazy rear end and being on the Senate floor and acting like he gives a drat" doesn't somehow change Manchin or Sinema's political calculus, nor does it give him the ability to create a nonexistent preexisting federalized healthcare infrastructure, nor does it give him direct control over appropriations. You're eliding the things the administration has actually done to demand some combination of things they've already done and things they cannot legally or physically do.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Biden getting on the Senate floor and doing something LBJ did is something he "cannot legally or physically do"? Are you serious or trolling? At the very least he can actually demonstrate his "great negotiating skills" that the establishment stated he had in early 2020 in front of the democratic voting base.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Discendo Vox posted:

Biden "getting off his lazy rear end and being on the Senate floor and acting like he gives a drat" doesn't somehow change Manchin or Sinema's political calculus, nor does it give him the ability to create a nonexistent preexisting federalized healthcare infrastructure, nor does it give him direct control over appropriations. You're eliding the things the administration has actually done to demand some combination of things they've already done and things they cannot legally or physically do.

From an optics standpoint, he appears to be complicit in letting it happen.

Like sure, maybe trying to use the bully pulpit to say "Look at these assholes standing between you and Good Things." may not sway Manchin or Sinema, but it would at least show an effort on his part to actually call out the bad actors who are supposed to be the reason we still don't have a spending bill that was supposed to have gone through last summer instead of just shrugging and sticking his toe in the dirt.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Nah. Asking Biden to get off his lazy rear end and be on the Senate floor and act/show that he gives a drat is not "unilaterally bypass the structure of the constitution at will".

And when this plan fails you and the rest will continue angrily making GBS threads all over him like you did with Jayapal.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Solkanar512 posted:

And when this plan fails you and the rest will continue angrily making GBS threads all over him like you did with Jayapal.

Jayapal didn't follow through, though. She surrendered. Are you saying Biden would surrender halfway through too? Because if so, then yeah, I'd hope the left would keep criticizing him.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Biden getting on the Senate floor and doing something LBJ did is something he "cannot legally or physically do"? Are you serious or trolling? At the very least he can actually demonstrate his "great negotiating skills" that the establishment stated he had in early 2020 in front of the democratic voting base.

:psyduck: You're the one who sounds like they're trolling. You seriously think if Biden physically showed up on the senate floor, it would change any person's mind? That it's somehow more effective than a one on one phone call and/or in person meeting with those he needs to convince?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Again, LBJ had a senate supermajority. Biden does not. Biden cannot unilaterally change the senate's distribution or bypass the legislature.

the_steve posted:

From an optics standpoint, he appears to be complicit in letting it happen.

Like sure, maybe trying to use the bully pulpit to say "Look at these assholes standing between you and Good Things." may not sway Manchin or Sinema,

Then it would in fact not be a good thing to do, because it would ruin any chance for beneficial legislation on any subject.

the_steve posted:

but it would at least show an effort on his part to actually call out the bad actors who are supposed to be the reason we still don't have a spending bill that was supposed to have gone through last summer instead of just shrugging and sticking his toe in the dirt.

You are demanding "showing an effort" over actually accomplishing things. There are so many factual things you could be complaining about; why are you demanding this?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Solkanar512 posted:

I'd prefer Biden try to do good things and fail instead of the current status quo of not even trying.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

You are demanding "showing an effort" over actually accomplishing things. There are so many factual things you could be complaining about; why are you demanding this?

Because those two things are not mutually exclusive. Showing effort can help accomplish things, while, as we're seeing, one can not show effort and get very, very little done quite easily.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Srice posted:

I'd prefer Biden try to do good things and fail instead of the current status quo of not even trying.

The administration is in fact doing things. That you refuse to acknowledge those things exist does not mean they do not exist.

Majorian posted:

Because those two things are not mutually exclusive. Showing effort can help accomplish things, while, as we're seeing, one can not show effort and get very, very little done quite easily.

The specific "showing effort" the_steve demands, which I'm confident you've read, overtly has the effect of sabotaging all further legislation.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Discendo Vox posted:

I looked and did not find anything specific — could you point out some info on what happened to the 100,000 contact tracers promise and how it was attempted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

The specific "showing effort" the_steve demands, which I'm confident you've read, overtly has the effect of sabotaging all further legislation.

It probably would not sabotage further legislation more than it already has been, my dude. Please be realistic. This administration's legislative agenda is finished, at least as far as the usual methods of doing business are concerned. If Biden wants to try to use the bully pulpit to build a popular movement around him and force his party in Congress to actually do something with their majority, who knows, maybe there's a sliver of a chance it could work. Probably won't, but it has a better chance of succeeding than continuing on with business as usual.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jan 8, 2022