Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Watched Krampus (2015) which is intense for a PG-13. Some good monsters but the jokes were limp. Weird moment when the conservative in law asks if they're turning Jewish, sort of begging the question if all the Jews in this universe have been dragged to hell by the Krampus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Black Christmas (1974) is really good. Wild that it was so early in the slasher genre but still so effective. And what a great ending. Love a film with that sort of restraint

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

22 Jump Street was excellent. It's a crime they took han solo away from Lord and Miller

Watched The Human Voice (2020, dir. Pedro almodovar) on a whim, it's only 30 minutes. A must watch if you enjoy watching Tilda Swinton. The set was incredible as well

Finally finally saw Pig (2021) which greatly exceeded my expectations. What a wonderful gentle film. I was wrecked. Unfortunately watched it on a plane but even so I could tell the sound design was outstanding.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Elf (2003). This movie is almost 20 years old. Feel old yet? I dunno it’s okay, don’t really get why will Ferrell is developmentally stunted when the elfs and Santa seem pretty normal.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
That’s always been my biggest problem with Elf. He bounces back and forth between being a foreigner, a child, and mentally challenged.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Jenny Agutter posted:

Elf (2003). This movie is almost 20 years old. Feel old yet? I dunno it’s okay, don’t really get why will Ferrell is developmentally stunted when the elfs and Santa seem pretty normal.

If anything, it’s hard to understand Buddy’s tendency to overreaction when he was raised by Bob Newhart.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Don’t Look Up (2021). This movie is good for pointing and laughing at caricatures of people you utterly hate and not much else. It’s not telling us anything we don’t know, and just goes “haha gently caress u” and it’s like whatever. Kind of a pointless movie.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Pollyanna posted:

Don’t Look Up (2021). This movie is good for pointing and laughing at caricatures of people you utterly hate and not much else. It’s not telling us anything we don’t know, and just goes “haha gently caress u” and it’s like whatever. Kind of a pointless movie.

Omg that's exactly what I thought. Honestly I didn't finish it cause I got halfway through and was like "ok I get it let's watch sports" lol

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

How’s the score though?

PHOOsun
Nov 18, 2010

3V3RYBODY STOP WH4T YOUR3 DO1NG 1MM3D14T3LY
Just saw the latest James bond on Sky box office ( No Time to Die) . I was looking for some light hearted fun and action. I now have (more) depression after watching this. What a loving awful film.

3/10

it gets 0 points for music there was nothing I would call music in this
it gets 0 points for fun, there was no fun in this
it gets 0 points for action, there was the most bland, dull, uninteresting.
it gets 0 points for explosions, the missile barrage at the end that brought the film to a close was garbage sfx suitable for a straight to DVD made for tv movie

it gets 1 point because I couldn't hear the dialog most of the time due to terrible sound mixing. I think that is an improvement over actually clearly hearing this script
it gets another 1 point because miserable git playing bond cant be in the next movie.
and it gets 1 bonus point because the home made sugar and cinnamon popcorn I made was really good.

Final thoughts: dont be like me, you dont have to suffer my fate: heed my warning and dont watch any modern bond films.

PHOOsun fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Dec 27, 2021

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The most recent 007 is called No Time to Die; Spectre was the immediate predecessor.

vvvvvv Edit: :cheerdoge:

Midjack fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 27, 2021

PHOOsun
Nov 18, 2010

3V3RYBODY STOP WH4T YOUR3 DO1NG 1MM3D14T3LY

Midjack posted:

The most recent 007 is called No Time to Die; Spectre was the immediate predecessor.

your right, I have corrected my first impression, thank you

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

In a silly mood and watched New Years evil. Not good! They milked the 15 extras they hired for about a third of the runtime. Bad songs. Nonsensical plot. Would not recommend

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

It's way, way too broad to have anything resembling the kind of pointed satire it wants to pretend it is. Political comedies like In the Loop or Dr. Strangelove are great because they can precisely and elegantly pinpoint what they're critiquing, while Don't Look Up is basically r/science The Movie.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Watched The Matrix: Resurrections (2021) on HBO max. Kinda feel like it's quality was summed up perfectly with the ratm cover band over he credits, an effortful attempt to recreate the original but lacking the style and edge that made the former successful. And boy did the dialogue stink

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
No Country for Old Men. Anton is a great villain, he has more presence and is scarier than any supernatural horror creature imo.

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

Jenny Agutter posted:

Watched The Matrix: Resurrections (2021) on HBO max. Kinda feel like it's quality was summed up perfectly with the ratm cover band over he credits, an effortful attempt to recreate the original but lacking the style and edge that made the former successful. And boy did the dialogue stink

thats the same song the lead singer peed on a person onstage to a few weeks ago.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Dr Phibes Rises Again. Was exactly what I was in the mood to watch. too bizarre to take seriously but pretty macabre. I liked it quite a bit.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Jenny Agutter posted:

I paid money to see this in a theatre and it's the most wasted money I've ever spent. The action was poo poo, the story was poo poo, the making fun of remakes was weird as hell because it still seemed like a massive cash grab in the second half and it all fell flat.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Boogie Nights. Watched this lad after seeing licorice pizza. I really don't know why I put it off for so long, I'm a huge PTA fan. Really good, if a bit unpolished. Despite a relatively bloodless ending, there is something very sad about seeing everyone together at the end trapped in the same horrible system.

The sweet smell of success I had heard about this film on the periphery for years and finally decided to give it a shot. Absolutely razor sharp dialogue. Watching Curtis and Lancaster compete for who can be the most disgusting human being is extremely compelling.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

The Father just loving destroyed me

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Never been as up and down on a movie as The French Dispatch. Some really funny and incredibly charming moments and some completely tedious cringe that approached hollow self parody. Ultimately all overwhelmed in a huge wave of style and stacked casting.

Just watched it and "self parody" is a good way to describe it; "all garnish, no steak" is another. Like a great animator, Wes Anderson has perfect control over every frame of his films. It's why people love him. Every individual shot is perfect and every individual line of dialogue is well constructed - it's the sum that's less than it's parts. That it's an anthology really hurts it, it means you have to suffer through every Wes Anderson cliche three times. You know that great opening bit to Rushmore? The part that introduces you to the main character by telling you all the clubs he belongs to, over a montage? That's awesome, right? He does that same sort of thing like 6 times in The French Dispatch, with increasingly verbose narrators each time. Ultimately it's still just exposition, which is probably why you were so "overwhelmed" (other people I have seen have similarly described themselves as fatigued by the third act, it's a common criticism). There are a lot of characters in this movie but I did not care for a single one besides perhaps Benicio Del Toro, who arrives early before the fatigue sets in and grunts more than he exposits. What is the movie actually trying to say? I don't mean "what is the theme?", since Wes is obviously too talented to not know that a story needs a theme, but why was this movie made at all, other than to exist? What emotional truth was the director exploring within himself and hoping to evoke in the audience?

If I had a time machine I'd go back and replace young Wes Anderson's copy of Jules and Jim with a copy of an Ozu movie.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Watched Strange Days (1995) which was very close to being sufficiently skeptical of cops but blew it at the very end. Otherwise pretty cool remake of Blowup/Blow Out. Great performances from a stacked cast

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Riki Oh: The Story of Ricky is amazing

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The anime or the live action

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Live action

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Dr. Salinger's Mysterious Ride was not what I was expecting. Honestly feeling emotionally drained and like someone stole my presents on my birthday.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
The Wasteland on Netflix. A boy learns to whack his meat while living with his mother on their Spanish prairie farm. The meat is rabbits. This movie is approximately 15% mental illness allegory and 85% incestuous subtext. Not the worst film I've seen in the 'family slowly going batshit insane while hiding from some lurking terror on their isolated farmhouse' genre.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Don't Look Up: Meh? I mean ok?

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

Stand By Me: Good performances from the kids. Do people have nostalgia for the 50's? This looks like hell.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Buttchocks posted:

Stand By Me: Good performances from the kids. Do people have nostalgia for the 50's? This looks like hell.

If you lived through the late 70s through the 80s you'd be well aware. Grease, Back to the Future, American Graffiti, Happy Days, Peggy Sue Got Married, etc. In fact, most of what later generations perceive the 50s to be like is almost entirely taken from those nostalgic movies and television shows.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

Pope Corky the IX posted:

If you lived through the late 70s through the 80s you'd be well aware. Grease, Back to the Future, American Graffiti, Happy Days, Peggy Sue Got Married, etc. In fact, most of what later generations perceive the 50s to be like is almost entirely taken from those nostalgic movies and television shows.

Sure, of course. I think what sets Stand By Me apart from those media is the acknowledgement of the horrors of small-town America in the 50's, while showing that meaningful relationships could still be had and fondly remembered. The nostalgia is for friendship in general, not just the era.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Impetigore is a great folk horror out Indonesia. Really enjoyed it, has a great look and a neat story.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Sara's Hoofin Holiday : Wasn't sure what to expect of a romcom between a Mall Santa and a Sunglasses Hut girl , but I wasn't expecting a brutal examination of the failed state of capitalism

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

under the silver lake writer read a whole lotta Pynchon.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Just saw mother! by Aronofsky. I’m exhausted! I really liked it, it made quite an impression. The feeling of being completely powerless is horrifying in this film. The baby scene will haunt me.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

Wind River (2017) was pretty good. Nice scenery; compelling story. It did raise some questions from me like, why is there only one FBI agent for the entire state of Wyoming? and why does an oil drilling site have an arsenal of assault weapons?, but I have a feeling that the answer to all my questions is "because its Wyoming". Also I think Graham Greene might have more character deaths than Sean Bean. It's gotta be close.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't know about FBI, but a lot of city folks are very surprised just how few cops there are in rural America. There's counties as large as some European countries that have one sheriff and one deputy and that's it.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Watched No Time to Die (2021) the second best Daniel Craig Bond film. Third act kind of let it down, the villain's motivations were a bit unclear even for a bond film. Compared to the last new action film I saw matrix 4 the action was stellar even if the long take stairway brawl was straight lifted from atomic blonde

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

House of Gucci is sort of a mess. Gaga I'll give credit for being alright, much better than I woulda guessed. And Driver while still looking like a bunch of eels wearing Human skin did an alright job as an incredibly awkward shy motherfucker. Pacino was really Pacinoing it up which I can forgive, but Leto, jesus. I didn't recognize him so good job disspeaering into the character, unfortunately his portrayal is so clownshoes it makes every scene with him a joke. Given him and Pacino are the obstacles to overcome for most the film it doesn't do a very good job of raising the stakes at all.

And then everyone in the film is so awful or ineffectual that you end up outside anyone's corner. I think you'd have a better time just watching a doc or book about the actual murder. And the Music is all over the place.