Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Hey, poster who just closed on a house: check this out!

Perkins lane is a small street that runs along the bottom of the south side of the Magnolia cliffs. It's NW of downtown and right by the sound. There's a few unbuildable lots there because there's unstable cliffs above and the ocean below. A charming place until this happens!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Magres posted:

The OP mentions new construction sometimes apply new techniques incorrectly, trapping moisture in the walls and leading to terrible mold problems. Can anyone expound on that? I've noticed (in the US PNW) that my current and previous rentals both have terrible mold problems, and the place before never had any despite being in the same weather conditions.

Joe Lstiburek from Building Science does a really good job of explaining this whole thing. https://www.buildingscience.com/documents/insights/bsi-001-the-perfect-wall He has some good YouTube talks too where he really details moisture issues.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

There was a big scandal in Charlotte in the '90s when expensive new stuccoed houses had been built without weep screeds, and the sills and studs rotted out. I think Toll House may even have been involved there.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

There was a big scandal in Charlotte in the '90s when expensive new stuccoed houses had been built without weep screeds, and the sills and studs rotted out. I think Toll House may even have been involved there.

I mean Nestle is bad, but maybe in this case it's Toll Brothers?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I hate owning a home. The constant stress, the expense, the incredible time sinks.

Just clean the gutters and installed guards. I am a king, a god, a gorgeous monster beyond your comprehension.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Inzombiac posted:

Just clean the gutters and installed guards. I am a king, a god, a gorgeous monster beyond your comprehension.

Until tomorrow at least.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i'm having my kitchen cabinet frames painted, and new doors and drawers put in. they have a few paint finish options. the cabinets I believe are currently a stained maple.

primer/sealer and two lacquer coats (base)
above + one clear coat (+275)
primer/sealer, two coats conversion varnish, and one clear coat (+450)

is it worth doing one of the bottom two?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

I hate owning a home.

It beats the alternatives.

And now you have a new hobby.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I did a ton of research and the ice melt that fucks stuff up the least is 100% CMA. Buy a jug and see if you like it; if you do, buy a bag and refill from there. It's safe for pets, safe for waterways, and (you'd be surprised how important this is) it won't gently caress up concrete or brick. It isn't the absolute most powerful, but it's been good enough in southern New England.

If you get a snowblower, store it securely, i.e. locked up. It's one of those things that tends to walk away from a garage.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 8, 2022

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Got 3 batts into installing my new insulation and found this and immediately wrapped up work because from what I've read of vermiculite this sure looks like a piece of it. I also took a picture of some small beads that I don't know what the gently caress.

I did test some of the old insulation for asbestos and it came back negative, but now I'm wondering if that old insulation replaced vermiculite at some point. I'm going to send this piece and the dust from the attic floor to get sampled for asbestos, but what's the threads gut thought on it? Vermiculite or another piece of trash from poo poo the PO stored in the attic?

I was wearing a P100 half mask respirator the whole time so I at least didn't breath in a ton of it directly but I had the attic door open and the HVAC is up there so I'm kind of hosed regardless if it turns out to be asbestos containing. I disrobed outside and moped all the floors but there's really only so much I can do. Yay Mesothelioma. :sadpeanut:

e: house was built in 1950

e2: It looks nothing like the pictures on google for "exfoliated vermiculite" so maybe it's just a piece of broken decorative glass or something.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jan 8, 2022

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

amethystbliss posted:

It’s our first winter in New England and we had the first big snow of the season last night. Any recommendations for snow removal equipment? Mainly looking to clear driveway and sidewalk. Much to no one’s surprise, our one shovel left behind by previous owner is not cutting it. We moved from California this summer and have basically no lawn equipment since we just paid for lawn care until we could get more settled.

See if your lawn company does snow removal as well, or just ask around your neighborhood. We've got like 5 guys on our street with plows on the front of their truck and will do your driveway for cheap.

Snowblowers are great but for lighter snowfall I like using a push broom or my leaf blower to get it out of the way. If you wanna put your kids to work, before we got a snowblower my dad used to get us to clear the driveway with one of those giant snow scoops.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Inzombiac posted:

I hate owning a home. The constant stress, the expense, the incredible time sinks.

*ice damming smiles, slides on the fifth ring*

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Bingo Bango posted:

See if your lawn company does snow removal as well, or just ask around your neighborhood. We've got like 5 guys on our street with plows on the front of their truck and will do your driveway for cheap.

Snowblowers are great but for lighter snowfall I like using a push broom or my leaf blower to get it out of the way. If you wanna put your kids to work, before we got a snowblower my dad used to get us to clear the driveway with one of those giant snow scoops.

For anything under five or six inches of dry snow, I've found a wide plow shovel is fast and easy and I don't bother starting up the snowblower. If it's wet snow or up to around eight inches, I use a sled shovel. If it's any more than that, a slow trudge behind the snowblower it is.

(Caveat: I have plenty of places to shove the snow off the sides of the driveway. But it's still a fairly big driveway.)

The Swinemaster
Dec 28, 2005

So I’ve got a kitchen with a built in washer drier stack. Lately, whenever we drain the kitchen sink the tall upright pipe that the washer drains into will gurgle very loudly. It makes me nervous. Should I be nervous? The kitchen sink drains fine, as does the washer.

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

[sobbing] Look at the circles under my eyes. I haven't slept in weeks!

The Swinemaster posted:

So I’ve got a kitchen with a built in washer drier stack. Lately, whenever we drain the kitchen sink the tall upright pipe that the washer drains into will gurgle very loudly. It makes me nervous. Should I be nervous? The kitchen sink drains fine, as does the washer.

You got drain frogs, sorry to be the one to tell you.

The Swinemaster
Dec 28, 2005

Justa Dandelion posted:

You got drain frogs, sorry to be the one to tell you.

Is this because of the drain flies?

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

[sobbing] Look at the circles under my eyes. I haven't slept in weeks!

The Swinemaster posted:

Is this because of the drain flies?

If your drain flies then you should probably catch it.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
My wife got me a FLIR and I'm having way too much fun with it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Got a new AC attached to my "old" furnace (new pump/motor) and occasionally hear dripping sounds but see no evidence of water coming out.

Is that normal? My old one never did that but it was oooooooold.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Armacham posted:

omg I want

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Armacham posted:

Dominic you rat, how could you give your brother the ol spicy ductwork

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

kitten emergency posted:

Dominic you rat, how could you give your brother the ol spicy ductwork

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

Got a new AC attached to my "old" furnace (new pump/motor) and occasionally hear dripping sounds but see no evidence of water coming out.

Is that normal? My old one never did that but it was oooooooold.

Maybe just condensation?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Armacham posted:

Which one is this?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

Which one is this?

It's the flir one pro lt

https://www.flir.com/products/flir-one-pro-lt/

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Where's the best place to make a post about getting advice on how to buy a house? We didn't think this would be a possibility until rather recently (have decent jobs now) and our parents haven't been very helpful because they've been out of the market for a long time now. We're looking in a few different areas but i know realtors work with specific locations so I'm not entirely sure what our first step is here.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

number 1 snake fan posted:

Where's the best place to make a post about getting advice on how to buy a house? We didn't think this would be a possibility until rather recently (have decent jobs now) and our parents haven't been very helpful because they've been out of the market for a long time now. We're looking in a few different areas but i know realtors work with specific locations so I'm not entirely sure what our first step is here.

The Home Buying Thread!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3131399

Be prepared to give up all hope in humanity

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Thank you so much!

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
try finding a table for a printer in biden's america

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

I just buy all my furniture at estate sale stores now. Lots of good poo poo coming in from all the boomers dying from covid.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Armacham posted:

I just buy all my furniture at estate sale stores now. Lots of good poo poo coming in from all the boomers dying from covid.

My local small town antique/craft mall says their sales last year were 40% over their best year on record, primarily driven by people buying old furniture due to supply chain issues.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Estate sale.. stores? Not estate sales themselves? I've never heard of this, do you live in Phoenix or some Florida retirement area?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Great build quality there Champion.

Just unboxed a new generator and one of the wheels bent off on a crazy angle immediately when I put weight on it. The bracket is missing the weld to secure it to the frame.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

amethystbliss posted:

Haha, thought it was pretty normal to not want to post a full pic of entire house exterior? Ah, well.

My neighbor ended up coming over with his snowblower and had the job done in about 10 minutes. He has one of those $1300 models FISHMANPET was referencing though snow wasn't too dense this time around. Sounds like I should also ask around locally to see what services people are using and weigh pros and cons of farming it out.

Thanks, this is really helpful.

New Englander here - I have a 24” McCullogh that’s about 10 years old and runs great. Only service has been an oil change every once in a while. I have about a 4,000 sf driveway. I can clear a like 4 inch snowfall in maybe 30 minutes tops depending on how wet it is. I try not to let it get much deeper than that or you have to do really narrow passes and it takes longer or you just have a ton of cleanup.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

falz posted:

Estate sale.. stores? Not estate sales themselves? I've never heard of this, do you live in Phoenix or some Florida retirement area?

Tucson, Arizona, baby. So many olds die here that there are multiple estate sale shops

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

SpartanIvy posted:

Got 3 batts into installing my new insulation and found this and immediately wrapped up work because from what I've read of vermiculite this sure looks like a piece of it. I also took a picture of some small beads that I don't know what the gently caress.

I did test some of the old insulation for asbestos and it came back negative, but now I'm wondering if that old insulation replaced vermiculite at some point. I'm going to send this piece and the dust from the attic floor to get sampled for asbestos, but what's the threads gut thought on it? Vermiculite or another piece of trash from poo poo the PO stored in the attic?

I was wearing a P100 half mask respirator the whole time so I at least didn't breath in a ton of it directly but I had the attic door open and the HVAC is up there so I'm kind of hosed regardless if it turns out to be asbestos containing. I disrobed outside and moped all the floors but there's really only so much I can do. Yay Mesothelioma. :sadpeanut:

e: house was built in 1950

e2: It looks nothing like the pictures on google for "exfoliated vermiculite" so maybe it's just a piece of broken decorative glass or something.

None of that is vermiculite. Vermiculite is pea-sized or smaller brownish to whiteish granules. It’s very dry to the touch and light weight. If you do have vermiculite in your attic, it’s not always or usually asbestos containing. It’s treated like asbestos because it was/is often mined adjacent to asbestos mines and there can be cross contamination. (Just like what’s going on with the J&J baby powder lawsuits). Vermiculite itself is not an asbestiform mineral.

The one on the bottom looks like styrofoam. Is that what you might think it was if it wasn’t in an attic?

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jan 9, 2022

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

BigFactory posted:

None of that is vermiculite. Vermiculite is pea-sized or smaller brownish to whiteish granules. It’s very dry to the touch and light weight. If you do have vermiculite in your attic, it’s not always or usually asbestos containing. It’s treated like asbestos because it was/is often mined adjacent to asbestos mines and there can be cross contamination. (Just like what’s going on with the J&J baby powder lawsuits). Vermiculite itself is not an asbestiform mineral.

The one on the bottom looks like styrofoam. Is that what you might think it was if it wasn’t in an attic?
Agree, doesn't look like vermiculite.

Last weekend I got half way through adding new batting to my attic and discovered a few spaces between joists were full of something. Not being smart I decided to shovel it into an old cardboard box while only wearing a surgical style covid mask. Half way through I unearthed a piece of an old paper bag with Zonolite on it. A little research and yep, not necessarily asbestos containing and would likely not ping a >1% asbestos test but it was mined next door to a place that mined the worst kind of asbestos so supposedly it needs to be considered ACM.

First quote is for $3,600 to remove the material, remove any other insulation that was exposed, and wipe down all my tools and boxes that got dusted. Two other shops didn't return my calls and two others declined to bid. The good news is that due to a class action lawsuit against the makers of Zonolite, there's a trust that will cover 55% of your abatement costs. Takes some of the sting out at least.

Trying not to lose too much sleep over breathing in that poo poo for the 15 minutes I was kicking up a huge dust storm.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

spf3million posted:

Agree, doesn't look like vermiculite.

Last weekend I got half way through adding new batting to my attic and discovered a few spaces between joists were full of something. Not being smart I decided to shovel it into an old cardboard box while only wearing a surgical style covid mask. Half way through I unearthed a piece of an old paper bag with Zonolite on it. A little research and yep, not necessarily asbestos containing and would likely not ping a >1% asbestos test but it was mined next door to a place that mined the worst kind of asbestos so supposedly it needs to be considered ACM.

First quote is for $3,600 to remove the material, remove any other insulation that was exposed, and wipe down all my tools and boxes that got dusted. Two other shops didn't return my calls and two others declined to bid. The good news is that due to a class action lawsuit against the makers of Zonolite, there's a trust that will cover 55% of your abatement costs. Takes some of the sting out at least.

Trying not to lose too much sleep over breathing in that poo poo for the 15 minutes I was kicking up a huge dust storm.

I wouldn’t worry too much. In my experience it’s fairly uncommon to actually find asbestos in vermiculite, but the only way to rule it out is extraordinary amounts of testing, so states are very cautious

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Thanks for the responses. I felt a lot better after searching it online more thoroughly. Everything I'd seen describing vermiculite before was "brownish gray and gravel like" which that fit the bill of, but every picture of "vermiculite insulation" on google is low quality so it's hard to tell much. Once I searched the magical phrase of "exfoliated vermiculite" and saw some HD pictures it was pretty obvious it wasn't the same stuff. Also it looks like most of the asbestos contaminated vermiculite, if not all, was mined from a mine that closed in 1900, so my 1950 house would almost certainly not contain any.

The little spherical beads are not Styrofoam but something hard like glass or acrylic. When I first saw them I thought maybe they were falling out of the old fiberglass blown in insulation, like slag pieces from the fiberglass process? No idea though. I've found all kinds of random poo poo in the old insulation like cups, pieces of paper and magazines, drapery hangers, lightbulbs, etc. in that part of the attic so it's quite possible they were apart of something stored up there and fell off or spilled over the decades they spent up there.

I probably seem overly cautious about asbestos but since it stays with you forever, and I do a lot of work on my old house, I'd rather play it extra safe for when I'm accidentally exposed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

SpartanIvy posted:

The little spherical beads are not Styrofoam but something hard like glass or acrylic. When I first saw them I thought maybe they were falling out of the old fiberglass blown in insulation, like slag pieces from the fiberglass process? No idea though. I've found all kinds of random poo poo in the old insulation like cups, pieces of paper and magazines, drapery hangers, lightbulbs, etc. in that part of the attic so it's quite possible they were apart of something stored up there and fell off or spilled over the decades they spent up there.

That sounds like perlite but I have no idea why that would be in an attic.