Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Hammer Bro. posted:

Baba is about as far from a no-brainer as it gets.

But that's what allows you to feel so big-brained.

I'll be honest I could probably win a million dollars and I would be less excited than I was beating some of those bonkers puzzles after wracking my brain for hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
Baba Is You is a goon-created game, yes?

I suppose I can make an exception if it means supporting a fellow goon.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It was made by Hempuli yeah.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

zodiac age on oled handheld... gaming's ambrosia.

e; i dunno if hempuli's other game, Environmental Station Alpha, ever ended up on switch, but i would highly highly recommend it! A fantastic lo-fi metroidvania with a ton of depth and secrets

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Fuligin posted:

zodiac age on oled handheld... gaming's ambrosia.

e; i dunno if hempuli's other game, Environmental Station Alpha, ever ended up on switch, but i would highly highly recommend it! A fantastic lo-fi metroidvania with a ton of depth and secrets

Nope, ESA isn't on Switch but I hope someday it shows up out of nowhere during an indie direct. I don't know if ESA 2 is still in the works, but maybe that will come to Switch if it happens.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Morpheus posted:

To that end, I see Eastward is on sale (for like only 10 percent off but still) and I've been eyeing it, any thoughts on it? I love the Earthbound aesthetic, though i understand it plays nothing like it, but if it's a good game then I'm interested.

It’s not good. The graphics and the music are charming but everything else is tedious. The dialogue is interminable and the scenes are drawn out to the point of absurdity. What’s worse, you have to press the A button every two words to keep the dialogue going, so you find yourself button mashing for ten straight minutes just to get through a single scene. And the gameplay simply isn’t good enough to make up for it.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Welp there were two Amazon packages in the foyer this afternoon but neither of them for me so gently caress YOU AMAZON.

Oh hey what's this SMTV is on sale digitally? Well hey I'll just use the Amazon credit I got for Christmas to get eShop credit and download the thing!

And then tomorrow I'll click the "give me a loving refund" button.

Stupid Amazon. Excuse me while I go wait for this thing to download... Then I'ma go fuse myself some demons!

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Twelve by Pies posted:

Speaking as someone who has a high tolerance for anime bullshit, does anyone know anything about Demon Gaze? The description talks about the MC being able to control demons and the screenshots make it look like a turn based JRPG, so it sort of looks like SMT But Even More Anime. Which I'd kind of be into, as long as it's halfway decent.

It's very anime. Like super duper anime. It's a first person dungeon crawler like Labarynth of Refrain, or wizardry but between excursions the story goes to some weird slightly perverted places. The dungeons are just fine and I like the party construction better than Labarynth. It's fine. No way I'm paying 60 for it though.

It's not as perverted as dungeon travelers 2 if you've played that on a Sony sysyem.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Farquar posted:

I played A Train on my 286 when I was 11 years old and it was too slow and complicated for me.

Does that help?

Not at all but bless you for trying

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Twelve by Pies posted:

Speaking as someone who has a high tolerance for anime bullshit, does anyone know anything about Demon Gaze? The description talks about the MC being able to control demons and the screenshots make it look like a turn based JRPG, so it sort of looks like SMT But Even More Anime. Which I'd kind of be into, as long as it's halfway decent.

I bought it and it seems somewhat horny but not as bad as Mary Skelter so far.

But still:

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

The Bloop posted:

DQXIS is very very anime looking but not particularly anime tropey

It has some DQ running gags that border into skeevy but it doesn't play out like a stereotypical anime, really

:yeah: I have a low anime threshold and I love DQXI a lot. It's a fairy tale

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

beer gas canister posted:

:yeah: I have a low anime threshold and I love DQXI a lot. It's a fairy tale

congratulations on discovering your love for anime

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Oscar Wild posted:

It's very anime. Like super duper anime. It's a first person dungeon crawler like Labarynth of Refrain, or wizardry but between excursions the story goes to some weird slightly perverted places. The dungeons are just fine and I like the party construction better than Labarynth. It's fine. No way I'm paying 60 for it though.

Yeah I wasn't going to pay 60 either, like I said before I still have the rest of SMTV and all of Nocturne to get through before I think about buying another game, I just wanted to know if it was alright/good or complete garbage. Since it's alright, I'll add it to my wishlist and maybe pick it up if it goes on sale in a year or two.

hatty posted:

I bought it and it seems somewhat horny but not as bad as Mary Skelter so far.

But still:

Eh, I can deal with that, I assume that's basically armor, and it's not like I care too much about armor descriptions even in non-horny JRPGs. Just "how good are the numbers?"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Dragon quest is basically generic anime the series

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

MachuPikacchu posted:

It’s not good. The graphics and the music are charming but everything else is tedious. The dialogue is interminable and the scenes are drawn out to the point of absurdity. What’s worse, you have to press the A button every two words to keep the dialogue going, so you find yourself button mashing for ten straight minutes just to get through a single scene. And the gameplay simply isn’t good enough to make up for it.

I wanted to like eastward real bad but yeah tedious covers it. It’s just such a chore to play. I think the in game rpg might be more compelling than the actual game itself.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I prefer to think of it as Primal Anime

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Call of Duty is just anime for white kids in Oklahoma.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Dragon quest is basically generic

Fixed this, it's literally generic in every single conceivable way

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Anyone wanting a good RPG should play Cosmic Star.

The creators obviously looooooved Chrono Trigger.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

yeah, there's whole genres of anime and games wholly dedicated to riffing on various dragon quest tropes.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!

Shammypants posted:

Fixed this, it's literally generic in every single conceivable way

if oyu engaged your brain for two seconds you would realise why this is possibly the dumbest thing ever posted in this thread

Skipopatomus
Aug 30, 2007

Ozzy Osbourne simply duplicated the event.

The Postman posted:

Nope, ESA isn't on Switch but I hope someday it shows up out of nowhere during an indie direct. I don't know if ESA 2 is still in the works, but maybe that will come to Switch if it happens.

I thought I was crazy, I could have sworn I played Environmental Station Alpha on switch but I looked through my game list and I was confusing it with Xeodrifter. I had played ESA on my PC. Xeodrifter was alright, I would recommend it if it's cheap.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Morpheus posted:

Well, darn. Shame cause I absolutely love the aesthetic of the game. Maybe I'll get it if it dips to 15 bucks CAD or so.

Obviously do what is right for you, but I’d caution you and say it is not worth it at really any price. There’s so many good games to play.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
greetings from cloudy climb

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Please respect Spike

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

So coop campaign games, children of morta, divinity ....

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Who remembers how to beat the loving brain andross in star Fox 64? Holy poo poo gently caress that boss.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Ogmius815 posted:

Who remembers how to beat the loving brain andross in star Fox 64? Holy poo poo gently caress that boss.

After taking out the eyes its weak spot is the cerebellum on the back. You can cut down your turning radius with the shoulder buttons plus tapping the brakes over and over while turning to get at it.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
It’s sad that the Star Fox Muscle of game developers has atrophied so severely, leaving neither indie nor major creators capable of making a good game in the genre. Fits with the larger decline of arcade games, but still sad.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Heading into the Recommend Me a Movie thread to talk about how the Godfather movies are the most generic mafia movies ever, just completely generic in every conceivable way.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
dragon quest is good

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
or as i like to call it... dragon warrior

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

awesome game, truly. only referred to walkthroughs twice, once for the power bomb tube and then to get out of Maridia because I didn't want to flail around to find the proper exit. so glad I followed through on this one. years ago I made a few failed attempts on ZSNES but it was so much better on a proper console.

Next up: finish the last 2 dungeons in the Link's Awakening remake. I've been saving those for a quiet weekend

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

They called it nintendo switch cause nintendo switched to relying on atlus to save their console

If that was true, how come Atlus did not make a Snowboard Kids 3? :colbert:

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

How’s Ion Fury? It’s on sale and it looks like a fun Boomer Shooter, but also I feel like I remember something deep in my mind that the people who made it were terrible chuds.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Agrias120 posted:

How’s Ion Fury? It’s on sale and it looks like a fun Boomer Shooter, but also I feel like I remember something deep in my mind that the people who made it were terrible chuds.

Great game but I’d personally get it on PC for mouse aim unless you’re pretty good with a pad. Also there’s a cheat code to unlock the fps past 30 fps. I believe a Digital Foundry video goes into that topic.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Agrias120 posted:

you didn't remember wrong, the devs are transphobic chuds and don't deserve any money

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Looper posted:

greetings from cloudy climb

Can you buy me a souvenir?