Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Judge Tesla posted:

It's more tolerable to me than every guard in Novigrad telling me they'll enjoy watching me burn at the stake every time I'm within earshot of them.

I think you mean, 'yOu'Ll ChOkE tO dEaTh On ThReE pOuNdS oF sTeEl!'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I think you mean, 'yOu'Ll ChOkE tO dEaTh On ThReE pOuNdS oF sTeEl!'

as a sword nerd, i was just happy they got the weight of an average one handed sword right for once in a video game

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
My favourite was piecing together ambient dialogue between different npcs because every time I ran into them I only heard one line and didn't stop to listen. I remember one about blueberries stinking like poo poo by one of Novigrad's gates (I didn't play in English so I'm not sure if that's how it was phrased)

But Witcher 1 ambient dialogue is ingrained in my brain so strongly that I sometimes forget that's where it comes from

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
poo poo in my boots

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I was considering just leaving Olgierd to his fate but not even he deserves to be eternally damned by a person who is literally Satan, my recent Hearts of Stone replay just re-confirmed that it's the best content in the whole game.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

macabresca posted:

But Witcher 1 ambient dialogue is ingrained in my brain so strongly that I sometimes forget that's where it comes from

"A Witcher! Hide yer women!"

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Judge Tesla posted:

I was considering just leaving Olgierd to his fate but not even he deserves to be eternally damned by a person who is literally Satan, my recent Hearts of Stone replay just re-confirmed that it's the best content in the whole game.

He made his choice

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Gaius Marius posted:

He made his choice

He should have read the EULA I suppose.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Checked out some book sites and lmao that they're marketing the books like this:

"The books to accompany the Netflix series!"
Maybe Sapkowski was right. And no, that's not some new re-licensing or re-translation, dtv was the same publishing house that did the first German translation of this book (The Last Wish) in 2007.

Which is, coincidentally, the same year that The Witcher 1 game came out :thunk: Almost 15 years after the Polish original :thunk:
Hmm, maybe Sapkowski was wrong after all

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Oprah's book club for nerds.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the witcher books are godlike.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
If only Doug Cockle did the audiobooks.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

HenryEx posted:

Checked out some book sites and lmao that they're marketing the books like this:

"The books to accompany the Netflix series!"
Maybe Sapkowski was right. And no, that's not some new re-licensing or re-translation, dtv was the same publishing house that did the first German translation of this book (The Last Wish) in 2007.

Which is, coincidentally, the same year that The Witcher 1 game came out :thunk: Almost 15 years after the Polish original :thunk:
Hmm, maybe Sapkowski was wrong after all

This isn’t really new. The US English translated books, when the game out, almost immediately started using the iconography from the games, with cover art pulled from The Witcher 2 in some instances.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

macabresca posted:

My favourite was piecing together ambient dialogue between different npcs because every time I ran into them I only heard one line and didn't stop to listen. I remember one about blueberries stinking like poo poo by one of Novigrad's gates (I didn't play in English so I'm not sure if that's how it was phrased)

I think there's a line in Witcher 2 where Zoltan describes something as being "like poo poo after blueberries", I guess one of the writers has a real go-to

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Randallteal posted:

If only Doug Cockle did the audiobooks.

You don't like Geralt as a lispy yorkshireman?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Never played any of the DLCs so going to just play a new game from the start.

Never played with any mods so going with these:

Ghost Mode

HD Reworked Project (some hd texture thing)

Auto Apply Oils

Jump in shallow water

Slow mo crits

Lamp on boat

Anything stick out as wrong? I just want a like vanilla+ kind of experience i guess.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Ghost Mode

Auto Apply Oils

Jump in shallow water

Slow mo crits

Lamp on boat

Anything stick out as wrong? I just want a like vanilla+ kind of experience i guess.

try to read all the books before you get to blood & wine if you want the “full” experience

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

scary ghost dog posted:

try to read all the books before you get to blood & wine if you want the “full” experience

are the books actually any good? i was thinking about it since i finished up the netflix season

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, especially compared to a tv show

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Ghost Mode

Auto Apply Oils

Jump in shallow water

Slow mo crits

Lamp on boat

Definitely get No Fall Damage (I don't actually know what it's called but probably that). Leaves you free to climb mountains and leap over cliffs and stuff, it's fun as hell without breaking anything.

E: oh and Next Gen Haystacks lol, surprisingly good.

E: oh and the HUD mods. Friendly HUD and All Quest Objectives on Map. Everybody uses them so there's compatibility patches for everything too.

If you want a more vanilla experience maybe get FCR3 instead of Ghost Mode, it hews much closer to the original but with more stuff fixed. Ghostmode is fine tho too if you want a more different experience.

Finally if you want to be ambitious, get the mods that take away your map marker and minimap. NoGPS and Clock Only is what they're called I think.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 6, 2022

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

are the books actually any good? i was thinking about it since i finished up the netflix season

theyre godlike epic fantasy, they stand proud among the best in the genre

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

They start out good but end pretty badly

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

taco_fox posted:

They start out good but end pretty badly

this guys wrong, the last book is the best one. and i mean lady of the lake, not season of storms

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

nuh uh

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

they end pretty badly for geralt

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

They are pretty mediocre fantasy books that aren't helped by a stilted English translation, and if you liked the games you might be put off by the fact that Geralt spends most of the Ciri saga nursing an injury and moping and being generally joyless and lame. I also thought the story suffered from being told from too many different points of view -- it felt like the author thought it would make the books feel more epic, but it really bogged down the story in exposition, since you were constantly being introduced to new point-of-view characters and had to put the plot on pause while you read about their backstories and motivations.

6/10, maybe a 7/10 if I'm being generous. (And I watched the TV show and sunk 150 hours into TW3 before I touched the books -- I was super willing to love these books but came away very disappointed.)

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Nah, the books, all of them, are straight 10/10 and the changing narrators, points of view, and time skipping do a lot of legwork to keep the story both unique and memorable while also focusing strictly on the characters.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

Nah, the books, all of them, are straight 10/10 and the changing narrators, points of view, and time skipping do a lot of legwork to keep the story both unique and memorable while also focusing strictly on the characters.

this. there are a lot of really esoteric character moments. its a joy to read them

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Also, if you had your adolescent brain broken by Signore Eco and his rose. You get a kick out of all the intertextuality. Much like the reference I'm making, I'm not sure how genious it was or if this also was; throw everything at the wall and see what sticks.

loving spheres man.. far out.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

HenryEx posted:

I still have the Witcher 1 EE Collector's Edition + Artbook lying around the house somewhere,

maybe also content of the CE, in the smaller EE version there was a short story full of bad grammar and spelling errors.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
I remember when I finished reading the books for the first time I wasn't able to read anything else for the next 1-2 months cause it just wasn't it. Granted, I was like, 14 or something at the time. Over the years I reread them though and found more and more flaws (or nitpicks, really) but also realised that the best moments are even better than I thought. My mom was reading simultaneously with me and she enjoyed them (and my mom is very picky about media she consumes and doesn't like fantasy a whole lot, so that's quite something) but didn't think they were the hottest poo poo ever, like I did. On the other hand my friend read Sword of Destiny and really didn't like it and is completely uninterested in the whole series, not just books but also games (and she likes fantasy. And rpgs). I don't really understand why do these books provoke such a wide spectrum of reactions, considering they're just solid fantasy novels, a good read at worst. I guess Sapkowski's writing just has some quirks that don't appeal to everyone.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Also you can tell the books are written by someone who really loves and understands medieval history and the sorts of dynamic, intelligent people that lived it. It is a far cry from the grim mud 'n' plague 'n' peasant hicks pastiche that is still depressingly popular and that even Witcher gets tarred with quite a bit.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Strategic Tea posted:

Also you can tell the books are written by someone who really loves and understands medieval history and the sorts of dynamic, intelligent people that lived it.

By the way, if you like this particular aspect of Witcher books then you might want to check out Sapkowski's Hussite Trilogy (from what I've seen the first two books were published in English but I didn't see anyone talking about them). It's medieval hijinks and politicking all the way through, with some mild fantasy elements thrown in here and there. It's pretty fun.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I recently started my first re-play through since release. I went with Triss the first time because she's awesome. I told myself I'd go with Yen this time, but the characterization in this drat game make it hard to just arbitrarily do that.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I also went with Triss because my introduction to the Witcher was the first game, where her only real competition was Shani (who is awesome but not a good companion for the witcher life). Well, also she had my back when it counted and her writing wasn't doormat, but not too on your back at all times.
Even if people say she exploited Geralt's amnesia to steal him from under Yen's nose, as someone in functionally the same situation as Geralt (no prior knowledge of his relation with Yennefer), i can firmly say it doesn't matter. It doesn't change the effect of her words and deeds when Yen wasn't there to back Geralt up.

So my first real interaction with Yennefer was in Witcher 3 (and the Netflix series i guess). I met her briefly in Witcher 2, but i actually never finished that game... I got to like, act 2 where Triss (or Yen?) gets abducted or something and dropped it because i lost interest. Which is funny, because i played through Witcher 1 at least 3 times. :haw:
And while Yennefer never had a real chance in my mind, even though i can see why people (and even Geralt) might like her more confrontational and wild style, I can't deny that reaching the point in the quest atop that mountainous shipwreck and saying "No, the desire is gone. I don't love you. I guess it was all just fake after all." after Yen, for maybe the first time ever, admitted real feelings to herself was absolutely brutal.

edit: seriously, that was some Planescape: Torment kind of poo poo in making me feel bad for video game people

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's one of the best acted scenes in video games. Congratulations on having the courage to listen to your heart and go with the correct woman instead of going with the horribly toxic yennefer as well.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
lmfao. Yenn's toxic because she doesn't like excuses or petty arguments, but Triss is healthy because she only uses a date rape flower to ensorcell you in addition to taking advantage of your amnesia.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jan 8, 2022

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

macabresca posted:

I remember when I finished reading the books for the first time I wasn't able to read anything else for the next 1-2 months cause it just wasn't it. Granted, I was like, 14 or something at the time. Over the years I reread them though and found more and more flaws (or nitpicks, really) but also realised that the best moments are even better than I thought. My mom was reading simultaneously with me and she enjoyed them (and my mom is very picky about media she consumes and doesn't like fantasy a whole lot, so that's quite something) but didn't think they were the hottest poo poo ever, like I did. On the other hand my friend read Sword of Destiny and really didn't like it and is completely uninterested in the whole series, not just books but also games (and she likes fantasy. And rpgs). I don't really understand why do these books provoke such a wide spectrum of reactions, considering they're just solid fantasy novels, a good read at worst. I guess Sapkowski's writing just has some quirks that don't appeal to everyone.

This is pretty much it, they're good, solid fantasy with some quirks that will either endear them to you or irritate you. IMO the two books of short stories "The Last Wish" and "The Sword of Destiny" you absolutely should read, and see how you like it from there. The five-book saga is worth it on the balance, but the jumping around to different perspectives can be very hit-or-miss and at some points the main characters are going through a very extended "life sucks, war sucks" slog that goes on too long.

I think Sapkowski went into it with the intentions of deconstructing and poking fun at fantasy tropes, but then turns around and wholeheartedly will engage in some clichés himself. He'll pick up phrases or structures and run them into the ground. At several points through the series a character will turn and make eye contact with the reader and talk about a woman's inviolable and absolute right to an abortion. For some reason by the time you get to Season of Storms Geralt will absolutely not stop using latin phrases every other sentence.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I think the people that go with Triss just want a redhead with big tits and would say anything to justify the horrible decision to break up Yen and Geralt's true love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I think the people that go with Triss just want a redhead with big tits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fpDlAzLkyQ