Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heather Papps

hello friend

How Wonderful! posted:

By this time tomorrow our kitchen might be done enough to do stuff in, ie we'll have a sink and a dishwasher with running water. Trying to figure out how to break it in. My plan is chili or stew since its cold and nasty out.

both of these are like one pot recipies and i think you need to really make a mess and use the dishwasher to ring things in.

a dish that uses a lot of dishes is beyond my expertise as a bachelor but based on what is currently in my brain i'm gonna say make the following:

cedar plank salmon
scalloped potatoes
fresh garden green salad light on dressing
steamed asparagus
veggie stir fry

i think that would make enough dishes to justify using a machine and also hand washing and your bellies being full and your brains being happy

e: a snype i didn't want here's some angry goats

did you notice the second one was a calf. me too. after i re uploaded it. what the hell.

Heather Papps fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 8, 2022

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fps_nug

horsing around no longer

Heather Papps posted:

marshmallow fluff is demon poop and these facts together make sense

super interested to hear more about dreams are like to you. do you think you could accurately draw a scene you 'saw' in a dream?

Prof. Crocodile

Heather Papps posted:

both of these are like one pot recipies and i think you need to really make a mess and use the dishwasher to ring things in.

a dish that uses a lot of dishes is beyond my expertise as a bachelor but based on what is currently in my brain i'm gonna say make the following:

cedar plank salmon
scalloped potatoes
steamed asparagus
veggie stir fry

i think that would make enough dishes to justify using a machine and also hand washing and your bellies being full and your brains being happy

agree with hp. how wonderful make the pad thai

Heather Papps

hello friend

fps_nug posted:

super interested to hear more about dreams are like to you. do you think you could accurately draw a scene you 'saw' in a dream?

nope not at all. i have kept a dream journal at various points in my life and all i get are general moods of the dreams, or narratives that can be easily verbalized. i am pretty sure i see stuff sometimes, but like most dream stuff it evaporates quickly upon awakening, and i am not good at drawing.

that's another thing visual imagination must be good for. i can plan out an animated sig in my brain but people with visual imagination can plan out drawings before they are done in a way that i can't imagine.

since i discovered aphantasia isn't normal i've been trying to develop a visual imagination. before bed i'll try and imagine a circle really hard, but so far i just get eye floaters and other actual physical things tricking me into thinking i've made progress.

as a lifelong student of the occult realizing that people could actually visualize things really shook me. the lesser banishing ritual makes way more sense if you can imagine a trail of light behind your hand.

anyways it works, beyond circumstances where it doesn't, like backing up a trailer or trying to understand directions. i am better than average at describing things and my reading comprehension is pretty high, which i think is a direct result of my using words to understand the world where some folk can be like "a powerful symbolic image" or "a feeling."

but also i don't know. it's an unknown unknown and i can only imagine what life is like with a visual imagination. it's likely i'm overestimating how cool it is.

fps_nug

horsing around no longer

Heather Papps posted:

nope not at all. i have kept a dream journal at various points in my life and all i get are general moods of the dreams, or narratives that can be easily verbalized. i am pretty sure i see stuff sometimes, but like most dream stuff it evaporates quickly upon awakening, and i am not good at drawing.

that's another thing visual imagination must be good for. i can plan out an animated sig in my brain but people with visual imagination can plan out drawings before they are done in a way that i can't imagine.

since i discovered aphantasia isn't normal i've been trying to develop a visual imagination. before bed i'll try and imagine a circle really hard, but so far i just get eye floaters and other actual physical things tricking me into thinking i've made progress.

as a lifelong student of the occult realizing that people could actually visualize things really shook me. the lesser banishing ritual makes way more sense if you can imagine a trail of light behind your hand.

anyways it works, beyond circumstances where it doesn't, like backing up a trailer or trying to understand directions. i am better than averag e at describing things and my reading comprehension is pretty high, which i think is a direct result of my using words to understand the world where some folk can be like "a powerful symbolic image" or "a feeling."

but also i don't know. it's an unknown unknown and i can only imagine what life is like with a visual imagination. it's likely i'm overestimating how cool it is.

yeah it's not that cool tbh. at least if you've had it forever. one interesting thing is that I have horrible ptsd nightmares and I could make games and perfect models of the freaky poo poo I've seen in them if I only had the talent/dedication to learning how

FluffieDuckie

Heather Papps posted:

cedar plank salmon
scalloped potatoes
steamed asparagus
veggie stir fry

e: a snype i didn't want here's some angry goats

did you notice the second one was a calf. me too. after i re uploaded it. what the hell.

That second goat is very cow like

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

FluffieDuckie

Oh I see you noticed that

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

Heather Papps

hello friend

FluffieDuckie posted:

Oh I see you noticed that

the pupils give it away

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

more falafel please posted:

yeah, i can't picture things in a particularly concrete sense. i have flashes of memory, but i'm not "seeing" a thing, i'm recalling what my brain processed from seeing it? i think? like if you ask me to think about what my dad looks like, i can do that, but it's not a picture, it's more like a sense

so for directions for instance, i don't visualize a map or making turns, but i have a mental model of the place and connections between things
I also have a weird mental model of things. It's mostly a 3D positioning model. Some fun side-effects of this are:
1. I can rarely find things with my eyes, but if a thing is where it last was, I can generally find it even if it's now behind or under something else such that it can't be seen.
2. I don't notice if someone changes hair color, but I notice if they change hair shape, and some people look alike to me that don't look alike to other people (and vice-versa).
3. I'm much more comfortable using maps aligned north and rotating the concept of 'me' than using gps-default style rotating map.
4. As a child I had a hard time understanding the concept of left and right; pointing to my left "that's left?" "yes" turning 180 degrees then pointing the same direction as before "so that's left?" "no" "wtf?"
5. Surprisingly I can't navigate for poo poo in 3D video games, to the extent that if they don't have a map I hate the game.

(I do, of course, have other kinds of memory too like word memory, it's more just that my visual memory is not picture-form.)

Heather Papps

hello friend

i have a strong suspicion byob is filled with non standard brains

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
Oh yeah, a fun extension on the hair color thing is that a couple of times I have described someone as having dark hair and it turned out next time I saw them that they were actually blonde, they just had a hair shape that I associated more with dark hair. So it's not just that I don't notice a change of color, I don't notice the original color either.

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

cruft

sb hermit posted:

frankly, I don't mind any of those while eating

as far as I know, appropriate dinner conversation is any topic that doesn't involve or infer pooping

Check out this person without a family member in a medical profession.

Poop is, like, the *only* thing we talk about over dinner.

cruft

Heather Papps posted:

standard brains

What a concept!

Heather Papps

hello friend

cruft posted:

What a concept!

lol yeah in my nonstandard brain its anyone who can get away without a diagnosis of mental illness or whatnot but really there is no such thing.

the human experience is a many splendoured thing!

Heather Papps

hello friend

"hello yes pinkberry i'd like one standard brain sized container of yoghurt please and thank you"

"that's a lot of-"

"DO NOT QUESTION ME"

Heather Papps

hello friend

Heather Papps posted:

"hello yes pinkberry i'd like one standard brain sized container of yoghurt please and thank you"

"that's a lot of-"

"DO NOT QUESTION ME"

"c-can i use sprinkles?"

"you will be WEIGHED AND JUDGED, FOOL THOU"

"yes but are they extra?"

"IF THOUGH SHALL EXTEND THE WEIGHT OF A SINGLE FEATHER"

roomforthetuna

I told my wife she is all those goats, and her response was to unintentionally pull this exact face.

biosterous

gonna have slow cooker pot roast tomorrow :stoked:

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

sb hermit

byob, you are the goat

greatest of all time

alnilam

I feel like a few years ago the acronym goat came out of nowhere, at least to me, and was suddenly everywhere. So i started seeing stuff like "[celeb] is the goat" all over the place and thought there was like some mystery thing going on where there's a secret goat (the animal) and everyone is trying to guess who it is and lodging their guesses in public?

Manifisto

alnilam posted:

I feel like a few years ago the acronym goat came out of nowhere, at least to me, and was suddenly everywhere. So i started seeing stuff like "[celeb] is the goat" all over the place and thought there was like some mystery thing going on where there's a secret goat (the animal) and everyone is trying to guess who it is and lodging their guesses in public?

hard :same:

ty nesamdoom!

Escape From Noise

Gramps posted:

I am absolutely terrible at making them and even my pupusas are awesome. I have had great success with chicken but my favorite so far are black bean. Make the pupusas, BYOB

I still think about the squash blossom ones I got from a food truck in north Portland when I was working my lovely mobile canning line job there. I cut the gently caress out of my finger running it along the foil container to open it. Like an idiot. Pupusas were very good though.

Goons Are Gifts

hp can you do more snipes please, the photos you use to dominate the first post of a page might be what I need in my life to become perfect and pure

just like that cow

Ass-penny

give me goats of give me death

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

B33rChiller

Prof. Crocodile posted:

ok I know everyone is really busy right now, but I think we need to have a serious talk about pupusas, and how they are good.

Readin a bit of what I missed, and hell yeah pupusas are amazing. I had my first one right around the time I was diagnosed with celiac. And a couple opened up a food truck in our town selling them right around then! They keep the whole operation gluten free, so I can go wild on the menu.

:trashed:

Dr. Honked posted:

the junk, rather than the trunk
Twenty Four

There are a lot of "brain things" posted above that I am either thinking "yeah, I'm the same way", "I get it", or "not me, but that's interesting" and then this one just completely set me off...

roomforthetuna posted:

3. I'm much more comfortable using maps aligned north and rotating the concept of 'me' than using gps-default style rotating map.

I have a great sense of direction. I have spent much of my life driving for a living. However, if a map isn't north side up, I am confused. Like maps of an apartment complex that try to orient themselves by how they expect you to be facing while reading the map instead of just having north be up throw me off quite a bit.

If it's a digital map that tries to rotate so whichever way I am facing is "up" or what in my mind should be north, I completely lose my poo poo. I'm instantly lost even if I knew exactly where I was just before that. Or if not lost at least the map is now completely useless to me at best and really screwing with my perception typically at minimum and needs to be reoriented or turned off immediately.

I just thought more about this, and I am specifically referring to "real world" applications, I can't remember if the same applies to video games with mini maps and stuff. I honestly can't remember. I might be able to manage that?

Anyhow I have strong feelings about this and I guess I'm glad it's not just me in that "I don't wish this on anyone, but I take small comfort" sort of way.

pixaal

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

cruft posted:

I'm in Season 2 and they just ditched Susan, thank goodness. All that character was allowed to do was make bad decisions and scream. She started out pretty good in the first episode but it's like the writers didn't know how to handle an intelligent woman so they just fell back on busted rear end clichés.

few pages back but oh man I love Hartnell. He went a bit weird near the end and his part in movies eventually is just stucknun status.

One of my favorite things I remember is from the ant series that guy companion touches a foam wall and grabs a chunk off it and you can see they reused that wall in several scenes as the lack of paint sticks out even in back and white.

Early who they only had enough time to reshoot 2-3 scenes per episode so it is mostly single takes. Makes it way more impressive.

Oh if you finish classic who Paul McGann is the 8th doctor from the first reboot attempt movie, who the doctor is between the 2nd show starts. He does audio dramas with Big Finnish Audio, they are really good. Really just listen to some audio plays, audio books would be based on books Witten in text and read by random people.

The plays use living actors, there's some Hartnell dramas where Susan, the only living person from the first doctor, did the voice acting for everyone.

Being a play or drama there's normally a few voice actors and sound effects they are rad.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jan 8, 2022

sb hermit

Twenty Four posted:

There are a lot of "brain things" posted above that I am either thinking "yeah, I'm the same way", "I get it", or "not me, but that's interesting" and then this one just completely set me off...

I have a great sense of direction. I have spent much of my life driving for a living. However, if a map isn't north side up, I am confused. Like maps of an apartment complex that try to orient themselves by how they expect you to be facing while reading the map instead of just having north be up throw me off quite a bit.

If it's a digital map that tries to rotate so whichever way I am facing is "up" or what in my mind should be north, I completely lose my poo poo. I'm instantly lost even if I knew exactly where I was just before that. Or if not lost at least the map is now completely useless to me at best and really screwing with my perception typically at minimum and needs to be reoriented or turned off immediately.

I just thought more about this, and I am specifically referring to "real world" applications, I can't remember if the same applies to video games with mini maps and stuff. I honestly can't remember. I might be able to manage that?

Anyhow I have strong feelings about this and I guess I'm glad it's not just me in that "I don't wish this on anyone, but I take small comfort" sort of way.

I don't mean to set you off but here's something interesting.

My car has built in gps nav. When the scale is set to 2 miles per inch or more (in that, an inch on the map is two miles in real life), the map is oriented right side up. However, when you zoom in farther, it changes behavior so that "up" on the map is pointed to where the car is facing.

The idea seems to be that at a zoomed out level, it's easy to decide the general contours of a trip, given the amount of traffic on the map. Maybe today, the 405 is good enough to take it straight to the airport. Other times, you need to use the 605 to the 105. And those decisions are more easily made if north is up. But when you zoom in for turn-by-turn directions, I guess the designers think that mal rotation works better.

Now, I prefer it so that north is always up, but I'd rather not have to remember how to change it back if someone borrows it.

sb hermit

Does anyone remember Thomas Guides? They're back!

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/story/2021-12-07/thomas-guide-los-angeles-orange-county-new-2022

I kinda want to get one to stick in my trunk.

Twenty Four

sb hermit posted:

I don't mean to set you off but here's something interesting.

My car has built in gps nav. When the scale is set to 2 miles per inch or more (in that, an inch on the map is two miles in real life), the map is oriented right side up. However, when you zoom in farther, it changes behavior so that "up" on the map is pointed to where the car is facing.

The idea seems to be that at a zoomed out level, it's easy to decide the general contours of a trip, given the amount of traffic on the map. Maybe today, the 405 is good enough to take it straight to the airport. Other times, you need to use the 605 to the 105. And those decisions are more easily made if north is up. But when you zoom in for turn-by-turn directions, I guess the designers think that mal rotation works better.

Now, I prefer it so that north is always up, but I'd rather not have to remember how to change it back if someone borrows it.

Hah no you aren't setting me off, I just meant after reading the above I immediately went "oh hell yes, I agree!". Actually dealing with it might truly set me off, lol. I can understand the line of thinking with your car's gps, but yeah that would probably break me. At least it would cut out the vertigo of watching miles of city spin around you when making a turn.

Also I might still have a Thomas Guide or two somewhere, or maybe it was a Rand McNally one. They probably got stolen one of the few times one of my vehicles got broken into. Also I hated the 405 when I lived out there.

pixaal

Tomas Guide? GPS?

We talk'n Tomtom?

sig by owlhawk911

Goons Are Gifts

what kind of musical song do you wake up to and how many background dancers invade your home for it

Twenty Four

pixaal posted:

Tomas Guide? GPS?

We talk'n Tomtom?

Nah before all that, it's just a paper map book with a good reputation.

Escape From Noise

Get Penis Stationary

Enfys

The ocean is calling and I must go

I aspire to be this goat

roomforthetuna

sb hermit posted:

I guess the designers think that mal rotation works better.
That's a great accidental term for it.

pixaal

Twenty Four posted:

Nah before all that, it's just a paper map book with a good reputation.

Yeah isn't Tomtom a reference to it? I always assumed it was but Google doesn't seem to agree (it doesn't disagree either but that's just proof no one else seems to see it so I'm probably wrong)

sig by owlhawk911

Prof. Crocodile

B33rChiller posted:

Readin a bit of what I missed, and hell yeah pupusas are amazing. I had my first one right around the time I was diagnosed with celiac. And a couple opened up a food truck in our town selling them right around then! They keep the whole operation gluten free, so I can go wild on the menu.

this is just one more reason to celebrate pupusas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller

Goons Are Great posted:

what kind of musical song do you wake up to and how many background dancers invade your home for it

https://youtu.be/LeIkndMhhiY

My morning routine on too many occasions.

:trashed:

Dr. Honked posted:

the junk, rather than the trunk